HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,656
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 17
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 20 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 19 20
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123657
02/26/10 06:31 PM
02/26/10 06:31 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

I don't think the Samaritans were guilty of sinning against God in the same way S&G were guilty of sinning against God. Instead, I believe they were in a similar state as the Amorties when Jesus told Abraham she would not be "utterly destroyed" "until the fourth generation" "for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full". In the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did not give the disciples permission to call down fire upon the Samaritans.
So would you say that if the Samaritan's cup was full, He would have given them permission?

Quote:
Did Jesus violate the law when He rained down fire upon S&G and killed everyone? No, of course not.
I guess it depends upon what the law says.

Quote:

What sayest the Lord? "God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. . . . Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. {LDE 241.2}

But, it seems to me that you intend the quote to mean that He did violate the law as He has a right to which man has no right to. What do you say the law says? Assuming the law means the Ten commandments, do you believe the Ten commandments represent His character? Would this mean He has a right to violate His character?

Do you believe Adam was guilty of breaking every part of the Ten commandments?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123659
02/26/10 06:51 PM
02/26/10 06:51 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: M
I don't think the Samaritans were guilty of sinning against God in the same way S&G were guilty of sinning against God. Instead, I believe they were in a similar state as the Amorties when Jesus told Abraham she would not be "utterly destroyed" "until the fourth generation" "for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full". In the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did not give the disciples permission to call down fire upon the Samaritans.

The Samaritans had been around for how many generations? Fifty? More? Long past the 3 or 4 of the Amorites. Don't see how you're seeing an analogy here.

Also when Elijah called heaven down from heaven, wasn't that against Jews? How would that fit in to what you're saying?

What really happened is so simple, it's hard to see how it's missed. Jesus had no secret agenda. The disciples wanted to have fire called down from heaven to destroy. Jesus said they didn't know of what spirit they were. Why? Because the Son of Man did not come to destroy but to save. This is God's character. God is the restorer. Satan is the destroyer.

Quote:
Satan is the destroyer ; God is the restorer . {CH 168. 2}

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123661
02/26/10 07:46 PM
02/26/10 07:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T: As I recall, Christ actually said, "Let he of you which is without sin cast the first stone." As I pointed out, this is a set with no members, which means that Christ told nobody to stone her. Do you not understand this?

M: Yes, I understand your point. However, do you understand my question? Do you agree Jesus said, “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her”? I’m not asking you to explain what you think He meant; I’m simply asking if you believe He said those words?

T: You're asking me if I think Jesus Christ said the words recorded in John 8? Why are you asking this?

M: Or, do you suspect He was misquoted?

T: Why would you think I think this?

You didn’t answer my questions.

Quote:
M: Also, do you think the rulers thought themselves sinless or worthy to cast the first stone at the woman?

T: Obviously not, right?

You mean because they slipped away when Jesus wrote their sins in the sand? If so, I meant when Jesus first told them to cast the first stone, which He did before He wrote their sins in the sand. Also, do you think they sneaked away because they felt unworthy to cast the first stone? Or, do you think they sneaked away because they feared Jesus would expose their sins to the people?

Quote:
M: If so, what do you think motivated them to abandon their plan and sneak away?

T: Why would you think I think something which is obviously false?

I wonder if it would be more productive if you simply answered my questions?

Quote:
M: In so doing He did not contradict the law. However, mercy is in keeping with the law. As such, Jesus did not disregard the law when He forgave her. Which came first, though, repentance or pardon? I believe Jesus forgave her because she was repentant.

T: She wasn't repentant. Not until after Christ spoke to her. It was His goodness that led her to repentance. Nobody repents without Christ's making the first move. If He hadn't pardoned us first, we'd all be dead.

M: True, it is the goodness of God that leads some sinners to repent and to love and obey Him.

T: Actually it leads everybody to repentance.

Are you sure? It sounds like you’re saying the fact God is good and treats everyone well results in everyone repenting (as you know, repentance means dying to self and living for Jesus). I believe everyone who repents does so due to the fact God is good and treats them well. But the fact is not everyone repents in spite of the fact God is good and treats everyone well.

“The sinner may resist this love, may refuse to be drawn to Christ; but if he does not resist he will be drawn to Jesus; a knowledge of the plan of salvation will lead him to the foot of the cross in repentance for his sins, which have caused the sufferings of God's dear Son. (SC 29)

Quote:
M: And it is also true that Jesus made pardon available; however, I disagree with those who say He in reality pardoned us (wrote “pardon” next to all of our sins) before we repented and asked Him to.

T: Who says this? I no of no one who says this.

There are people who believe Jesus pardoned everyone on the cross. I believe He earned the legal right on the cross to pardon the penitent.

Quote:
M: My point is Jesus forgave the woman after she repented.

T: Or before, depending upon what aspect of forgiveness you are referring to. In the ordinary sense of the word, He forgave her before she repented. He said, "Neither do I condemn you. Go and sin no more." This was before she repented. His goodness led her to repentance.

Do you think I had your definition of forgiveness in mind or mine when I wrote what I did above? Jesus does not write “pardon” next to our sins until after we repent. Do you agree? If so, then it seems clear you agree with what I’m saying about the woman.

Quote:
M: Yes, what Jesus said to the woman was beautiful, but not more beautiful than what Jesus said to King David when he sinned. Jesus was just as loving and beautiful in the OT as He was in the NT.

T: 1.Jesus didn't exist as a human being until many years after David.
2.Jesus Christ, as a human being, revealed God's character such as had never been done before. Even angels marveled at the revelation. Until Jesus Christ's life, and death, God had not been understood in His fullness.
3.Nobody really understood the OT God until Jesus Christ came. Then He clearly revealed Him.
4.Your view of the OT God is very different from what Jesus Christ the human being revealed, it seems clear to me. This is a sort of schizophrenic view. Nice in the New, but not to nice in the Old, and not so nice again in the future.
5.The SOP suggests we spend a thoughtful hour each day meditating on the life of Christ. Why do you suppose she suggested this?

1. Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
2. True, but it doesn’t mean Jesus misrepresented the Father in the OT.
3. I disagree. “It is the voice of Christ that speaks through patriarchs and prophets, from the days of Adam even to the closing scenes of time. The Saviour is revealed in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New. {DA 799.2}
4. You are dead wrong about my view of Jesus. “Jesus was just as loving and beautiful in the OT as He was in the NT.”
5. I agree. It’s just that I believe it includes all of Jesus’ life. You seem to limit it to His post-incarnation life.

Quote:
M: Also, in a different sense, what Jesus commanded Moses to do (kill sinners) was beautiful. “Infinite justice” is a beautiful trait of God’s character. By the way, you didn’t respond to the rest of my post above. I would appreciate it if you would respond to it. Thank you.

T: I think this is confusion.

Yes, you do. However, it’s the truth. Do you feel Jesus is being less kind and loving when circumstances force Him to withdraw His protection and permit sinners to suffer and die?

Quote:
T: I appreciate your kind words, but we look at this incident very differently. I've mentioned the analogy of the father/hunter on a number of occasions. I see the incident like that.

M: Yes, I see similarities; however, teaching a wayward son how to kill animals in a humane manner (something you believe is not a sin) is more dissimilar than similar to Jesus commanding Moses to kill sinners (something you believe is a sin). Do you see what I mean?

T: It's an analogy. I'm not sure you've ever understood it. It's the best explanation I've seen. This is why I've not really seen much point in going on in this discussion. It's evidently something you're not able to perceive as I do. I've made suggestions that I think would be helpful, such as studying the life of Christ, and forming a theology of God's character based on that first, and then going back later on to the OT. You seem to have no interest in this, but I don't see how rehashing the same OT things over and over again is going to help, especially when you seem unable to understand what I'm trying to say. I'm not blaming you for this. It could be that I'm just not able to find a way to communicate to you clearly enough at this time. Until that time, assuming I'm able to do so, why not give my suggestion a try?

We are doing the very thing you’ve suggested, namely, studying Jesus in the OT in light of Jesus in the NT. As we do so it is evident Jesus is the same in both Testaments. I do not see Him behaving any different. He is consistently the same loving, just, and good Friend and Savior. He always has been and always will be.

Yes, your humane hunter analogy does a good job of establishing the fact Jesus runs the risk of being misunderstood as being an angry, vengeful Deity every time He commands someone to kill sinners. It also does a good job of explaining the fact circumstances force Jesus to do things He’d rather not have to do. Nevertheless, “infinite justice” compels Him to do what is right and best for the universe.

Punishment is a necessary evil. Simply allowing sinners to kill themselves or to kill one another does not satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice. Sinners must be tried in a court of law and sentenced according to their guilt and sinfulness. Yes, I know, you believe Jesus withdrawing His protection and permitting sinners to reap the natural, inevitable results of sinning is punishment.

Quote:
M: Another question is - Did Jesus ever command someone to kill a sinner when in reality they were like the woman and deserving of forgiveness?

T: The woman wasn't deserving of forgiveness. Christ acted the way He did towards her out of the goodness of His own heart, not out of any goodness on her part.

M: You didn’t answer my question.

T: Sure I did. Your question contained the premise that the woman was deserving of forgiveness. I answered your question by pointing out that she wasn't.

If she wasn’t worthy (by worthy I mean someone who complies with the conditions of pardon and salvation), why, then, did Jesus forgive her (write pardon next to her sin))? Or, do you believe Jesus wrote pardon next to her sin in spite of the fact she was not, as you say, worthy (by not worthy I mean someone who refuses to repent and chooses to rebel).

Quote:
M: Also, by the way, I agree there is nothing we can do to deserve pardon and salvation. However, when we comply with the conditions of pardon and salvation I believe the Bible makes it clear we are “worthy”. I take it you disagree?

T: You said you agree that there is nothing we can do to deserve pardon and salvation, but that we can be "worthy." (in quotes). I'm not sure what "worthy" (in quotes) means. I'd say we are not worthy, but Christ is worthy, and we be grace my receive from His goodness, mercy and love, as unworthy sinners.

Do you agree the Bible says we are to “walk worthy”, that we are “counted worthy” of pardon and salvation “for {we} are worthy”?

Quote:
M: If you disagree, how do you interpret the “worthy” passages I posted earlier?

T: Here’s what you posted earlier:

Quote:
Luke 20:35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

Luke 21:36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Acts 5:41 And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.

Ephesians 4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,

Colossians 1:10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

1 Thessalonians 2:12 That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.

2 Thessalonians 1:5 [Which is] a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

2 Thessalonians 1:11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of [this] calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of [his] goodness, and the work of faith with power:

Revelation 3:4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

Here's one to consider: Acts 5:41 And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.” I would interpret this as saying that God allowed them to have a privilege, and they were thankful for that privilege.

Here's another: 2 Thessalonians 1:11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of [this] calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of [his] goodness, and the work of faith with power:” This looks to be saying that being counted worthy of [this] calling means allowing God to fulfill the good pleasure of His goodness, which I would take to mean revealing His character. So we are worthy of His calling if we allow Him to reveal His character in us. Is this enough?

It sounds like you agree with me that if we meet the conditions and “walk worthy” of pardon and salvation that Jesus “counts us worthy”. Or, did I misunderstand you? Do you believe no matter what we do Jesus always counts us unworthy of pardon and salvation? Do you agree with those who say our “righteousness and true holiness” is tainted with the stain of sin and selfishness, and that therefore no matter what we do Jesus counts us unworthy?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: kland] #123663
02/26/10 08:16 PM
02/26/10 08:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
M: I don't think the Samaritans were guilty of sinning against God in the same way S&G were guilty of sinning against God. Instead, I believe they were in a similar state as the Amorties when Jesus told Abraham she would not be "utterly destroyed" "until the fourth generation" "for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full". In the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did not give the disciples permission to call down fire upon the Samaritans.

K: So would you say that if the Samaritan's cup was full, He would have given them permission?

No. Jesus didn't come the first time to destroy sinners. He came to demonstrate how converted born again believers can live in harmony with the will of God for them. He didn't come to demonstrate what He will do with unsaved sinners during the final judgment. Do you agree?

Quote:
M: Did Jesus violate the law when He rained down fire upon S&G and killed everyone? No, of course not.

K: I guess it depends upon what the law says.

I had in mind the 10Cs.

Quote:
M: What sayest the Lord? "God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. . . . Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. {LDE 241.2}

K: But, it seems to me that you intend the quote to mean that He did violate the law as He has a right to which man has no right to. What do you say the law says? Assuming the law means the Ten commandments, do you believe the Ten commandments represent His character? Would this mean He has a right to violate His character?

As judge and executioner Jesus is required to act in harmony with the just and loving demands of law and justice. Law and justice does not demand that we judge and execute sinners. Instead, law and justice demands that Jesus judge and execute sinners during the final judgment. Ellen wrote:

While He does not delight in vengeance, He will execute judgment upon the transgressors of His law. He is forced to do this, to preserve the inhabitants of the earth from utter depravity and ruin. In order to save some He must cut off those who have become hardened in sin. "The Lord is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked." Nahum 1:3. By terrible things in righteousness He will vindicate the authority of His downtrodden law. And the very fact of His reluctance to execute justice testifies to the enormity of the sins that call forth His judgments and to the severity of the retribution awaiting the transgressor. {PP 628.1}

God's judgments will be visited upon those who are seeking to oppress and destroy His people. His long forbearance with the wicked emboldens men in transgression, but their punishment is nonetheless certain and terrible because it is long delayed. "The Lord shall rise up as in Mount Perazim, He shall be wroth as in the valley of Gibeon, that He may do His work, His strange work; and bring to pass His act, His strange act." Isaiah 28:21. To our merciful God the act of punishment is a strange act. "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked." Ezekiel 33:11. The Lord is "merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, . . . forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin." Yet He will "by no means clear the guilty." The Lord is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked." Exodus 34:6, 7; Nahum 1:3. By terrible things in righteousness He will vindicate the authority of His downtrodden law. The severity of the retribution awaiting the transgressor may be judged by the Lord's reluctance to execute justice. The nation with which He bears long, and which He will not smite until it has filled up the measure of its iniquity in God's account, will finally drink the cup of wrath unmixed with mercy. {GC 627.2}

One reminder alone remains: Our Redeemer will ever bear the marks of His crucifixion. Upon His wounded head, upon His side, His hands and feet, are the only traces of the cruel work that sin has wrought. Says the prophet, beholding Christ in His glory: "He had bright beams coming out of His side: and there was the hiding of His power." Habakkuk 3:4, margin. That pierced side whence flowed the crimson stream that reconciled man to God--there is the Saviour's glory, there "the hiding of His power." "Mighty to save," through the sacrifice of redemption, He was therefore strong to execute justice upon them that despised God's mercy. And the tokens of His humiliation are His highest honor; through the eternal ages the wounds of Calvary will show forth His praise and declare His power. {GC 674.2}

Quote:
K: Do you believe Adam was guilty of breaking every part of the Ten commandments?

Yes. Why do you ask?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123664
02/26/10 08:41 PM
02/26/10 08:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

T: The Samaritans had been around for how many generations? Fifty? More? Long past the 3 or 4 of the Amorites. Don't see how you're seeing an analogy here.

When do you think they filled up their cup of iniquity?

Quote:
T: Also when Elijah called heaven down from heaven, wasn't that against Jews? How would that fit in to what you're saying?

I assume you're referring to when Elijah prayed and God answered by sending down fire to consume the sacrifice. At this point, their cup of iniquity was not filled. God was still working with the COI to fulfill His purpose.

Quote:
T: What really happened is so simple, it's hard to see how it's missed. Jesus had no secret agenda. The disciples wanted to have fire called down from heaven to destroy. Jesus said they didn't know of what spirit they were. Why? Because the Son of Man did not come to destroy but to save. This is God's character. God is the restorer. Satan is the destroyer. "Satan is the destroyer ; God is the restorer . {CH 168. 2}

Yes, there are times when God permits evil angels to destroy sinners. There are even times when God permits evil angels to afflict His chosen servants. However, there are times when Jesus commands holy men and holy angels to punish and destroy sinners. And, there are even times when Jesus Himself employs the forces of nature to punish and destroy sinners. Ellen wrote:

Quote:
When He leaves the sanctuary, darkness covers the inhabitants of the earth. In that fearful time the righteous must live in the sight of a holy God without an intercessor. The restraint which has been upon the wicked is removed, and Satan has entire control of the finally impenitent. God's long-suffering has ended. The world has rejected His mercy, despised His love, and trampled upon His law. The wicked have passed the boundary of their probation; the Spirit of God, persistently resisted, has been at last withdrawn. Unsheltered by divine grace, they have no protection from the wicked one. Satan will then plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble. As the angels of God cease to hold in check the fierce winds of human passion, all the elements of strife will be let loose. The whole world will be involved in ruin more terrible than that which came upon Jerusalem of old. {GC 614.1}

A single angel destroyed all the first-born of the Egyptians and filled the land with mourning. When David offended against God by numbering the people, one angel caused that terrible destruction by which his sin was punished. The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits. There are forces now ready, and only waiting the divine permission, to spread desolation everywhere. {GC 614.2}

Those who honor the law of God have been accused of bringing judgments upon the world, and they will be regarded as the cause of the fearful convulsions of nature and the strife and bloodshed among men that are filling the earth with woe. The power attending the last warning has enraged the wicked; their anger is kindled against all who have received the message, and Satan will excite to still greater intensity the spirit of hatred and persecution. {GC 614.3}

Do you believe evil angels killed the first born? Do you believe the "destroying angel" symbolizes Satan? Ellen wrote:

Quote:
Moses delivered his message; but the proud king's answer was, "Who is the Lord, that I should obey His voice to let Israel go? I know not the Lord, neither will I let Israel go." Ex. 5:2. The Lord worked for His people by signs and wonders, sending terrible judgments upon Pharaoh. At length the destroying angel was bidden to slay the first-born of man and beast among the Egyptians. That the Israelites might be spared, they were directed to place upon their doorposts the blood of a slain lamb. Every house was to be marked, that when the angel came on his mission of death, he might pass over the homes of the Israelites. {DA 51.3}

Had Pharaoh accepted the evidence of God's power given in the first plague, he would have been spared all the judgments that followed. But his determined stubbornness called for still greater manifestations of the power of God, and plague followed plague, until at last he was called to look upon the dead face of his own first born, and those of his kindred; while the children of Israel, whom he had regarded as slaves, were unharmed by the plagues, untouched by the destroying angel. God made it evident upon whom rested His favor, who were His people. {CC 89.4}

When God was about to smite the first-born of Egypt, He commanded the Israelites to gather their children from among the Egyptians into their own dwellings and strike their door posts with blood, that the destroying angel might see it and pass over their homes. It was the work of parents to gather in their children. This is your work, this is my work, and the work of every mother who believes the truth. The angel is to place a mark upon the forehead of all who are separated from sin and sinners, and the destroying angel will follow, to slay utterly both old and young. {5T 505.2}

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123670
02/27/10 02:25 AM
02/27/10 02:25 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:I don't think the Samaritans were guilty of sinning against God in the same way S&G were guilty of sinning against God. Instead, I believe they were in a similar state as the Amorties when Jesus told Abraham she would not be "utterly destroyed" "until the fourth generation" "for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full". In the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did not give the disciples permission to call down fire upon the Samaritans.

T: The Samaritans had been around for how many generations? Fifty? More? Long past the 3 or 4 of the Amorites. Don't see how you're seeing an analogy here.

M:When do you think they filled up their cup of iniquity?

Why do you think they did? I don't know Samaritan history.

Quote:
T: Also when Elijah called heaven down from heaven, wasn't that against Jews? How would that fit in to what you're saying?

M:I assume you're referring to when Elijah prayed and God answered by sending down fire to consume the sacrifice. At this point, their cup of iniquity was not filled. God was still working with the COI to fulfill His purpose.

Then why would you think the Samaritans iniquity was filled?

Quote:
T: What really happened is so simple, it's hard to see how it's missed. Jesus had no secret agenda. The disciples wanted to have fire called down from heaven to destroy. Jesus said they didn't know of what spirit they were. Why? Because the Son of Man did not come to destroy but to save. This is God's character. God is the restorer. Satan is the destroyer. "Satan is the destroyer ; God is the restorer . {CH 168. 2}

Yes, there are times when God permits evil angels to destroy sinners. There are even times when God permits evil angels to afflict His chosen servants. However, there are times when Jesus commands holy men and holy angels to punish and destroy sinners.

This is getting off the point. The point is that desiring fire to come from heaven to destroy others is not the Spirit of Christ.

Quote:
And, there are even times when Jesus Himself employs the forces of nature to punish and destroy sinners.

No He doesn't. Satan is the destroyer. God is the restorer. Here's a nice quote which explains the principle:

Quote:
With sin came sickness and suffering, for we reap that which we sow. Satan afterward caused man to charge upon God the suffering which is but the sure result of the transgression of physical law. God is thus falsely accused, and his character misrepresented. He is charged with doing that which Satan himself has done. God would have his people expose this falsehood of the enemy. To them he has given the light of the gospel of health, and as his representatives they are to give the light to others. As they work to relieve suffering humanity, they are to point out the origin of all suffering, and direct the mind to Jesus, the great Healer of both soul and body. His heart of sympathy goes out to all earth's sufferers, and with every one who works for their relief, he co-operates. As with his blessing health returns, the character of God will be vindicated, and the lie thrown back upon Satan, its originator. {Christian Educator, October 1, 1898 par.9}

This brings out many of the points I've mentioned.

1.With sin came sickness and suffering, for we reap that which we sow.
2.Satan afterward caused man to charge upon God the suffering which is but the sure result of the transgression of physical law.
3.God is thus falsely accused, and his character misrepresented.
4.God is charged with doing that which Satan himself has done.
5.God would have his people expose this falsehood of the enemy. (I'm trying to do this. It's hard work! The resistance is amazing. One would think people would be open to good news like this, but they're not; they prefer a destructive God).

Now this is talking about the gospel of health, but the same principles apply to sin and spiritual health. Satan is the destroyer, and he blames God for his own work, thus misrepresenting God's character.

Regarding your quote, it's nice that you quoted the underlined sentence in context.

Quote:
When He leaves the sanctuary, darkness covers the inhabitants of the earth. In that fearful time the righteous must live in the sight of a holy God without an intercessor. The restraint which has been upon the wicked is removed, and Satan has entire control of the finally impenitent. God's long-suffering has ended. The world has rejected His mercy, despised His love, and trampled upon His law. The wicked have passed the boundary of their probation; the Spirit of God, persistently resisted, has been at last withdrawn. Unsheltered by divine grace, they have no protection from the wicked one. Satan will then plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble. As the angels of God cease to hold in check the fierce winds of human passion, all the elements of strife will be let loose. The whole world will be involved in ruin more terrible than that which came upon Jerusalem of old. {GC 614.1}

What do we learn from this?

1.The restraint which has been upon the wicked is removed, and Satan has entire control of the finally impenitent.
2.The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, has been at last withdrawn.
3.Unsheltered by divine grace, they have no protection from the wicked one.
4.Satan will then plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble.

So who's doing the destroying here? What do the holy angels do? Isn't it obvious that they restrain?

Regarding if Satan is the destroying angel, yes. That's his name, in fact (Apolyon).

God destroys be permitting Satan to do his destructive work. Consider Job, where God spoke of being moved to destroy Job. But what really happened?

Once the underlying principles are understood, as laid out above, this is very easy to understand. God's not schizophrenic. He doesn't sometimes restore and sometimes destroy. It's not sometimes not according to His Spirit to call fire down from heaven to destroy, and other times it is. For example, consider the statement "The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government." That doesn't mean sometimes, but always. Or "Compelling power if only found in Satan's government." That doesn't mean "Compelling power is found in both Satan's government and God's government."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123677
02/27/10 05:48 AM
02/27/10 05:48 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: I don't think the Samaritans were guilty of sinning against God in the same way S&G were guilty of sinning against God. Instead, I believe they were in a similar state as the Amorties when Jesus told Abraham she would not be "utterly destroyed" "until the fourth generation" "for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full". In the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did not give the disciples permission to call down fire upon the Samaritans.

M: When do you think they filled up their cup of iniquity?

T: Why do you think they did? I don't know Samaritan history.

I meant to say the Samaritans, like the Amorites, had not yet filled up their cup of iniquity. That’s the comparison. I don’t think it matters how long they went without filling up their cup.

Quote:

M: I assume you're referring to when Elijah prayed and God answered by sending down fire to consume the sacrifice. At this point, their cup of iniquity was not filled. God was still working with the COI to fulfill His purpose.

T: Then why would you think the Samaritans iniquity was filled?

Same answer as above.

Quote:

M: Yes, there are times when God permits evil angels to destroy sinners. There are even times when God permits evil angels to afflict His chosen servants. However, there are times when Jesus commands holy men and holy angels to punish and destroy sinners.

T: This is getting off the point. The point is that desiring fire to come from heaven to destroy others is not the Spirit of Christ.

True, when Jesus was here in the flesh it was not His purpose to punish and destroy unredeemable sinners. Even from your point of view, it was not Jesus’ purpose while here in the flesh to withdraw His protection and permit unredeemable sinners to suffer and die according to their sinfulness. Citing the story above as proof that Jesus never punished and destroyed sinners in the past or that He will not punish or destroy them during the final judgment misses the mark.

Quote:
M: And, there are even times when Jesus Himself employs the forces of nature to punish and destroy sinners.

T: No He doesn't. Satan is the destroyer. God is the restorer. Here's a nice quote which explains the principle: “With sin came sickness and suffering, for we reap that which we sow. Satan afterward caused man to charge upon God the suffering which is but the sure result of the transgression of physical law. God is thus falsely accused, and his character misrepresented. He is charged with doing that which Satan himself has done. God would have his people expose this falsehood of the enemy. To them he has given the light of the gospel of health, and as his representatives they are to give the light to others. As they work to relieve suffering humanity, they are to point out the origin of all suffering, and direct the mind to Jesus, the great Healer of both soul and body. His heart of sympathy goes out to all earth's sufferers, and with every one who works for their relief, he co-operates. As with his blessing health returns, the character of God will be vindicated, and the lie thrown back upon Satan, its originator. {Christian Educator, October 1, 1898 par.9}

This brings out many of the points I've mentioned.

1.With sin came sickness and suffering, for we reap that which we sow.
2.Satan afterward caused man to charge upon God the suffering which is but the sure result of the transgression of physical law.
3.God is thus falsely accused, and his character misrepresented.
4.God is charged with doing that which Satan himself has done.
5.God would have his people expose this falsehood of the enemy. (I'm trying to do this. It's hard work! The resistance is amazing. One would think people would be open to good news like this, but they're not; they prefer a destructive God).

Now this is talking about the gospel of health, but the same principles apply to sin and spiritual health. Satan is the destroyer, and he blames God for his own work, thus misrepresenting God's character.

Regarding your quote, it's nice that you quoted the underlined sentence in context: “When He leaves the sanctuary, darkness covers the inhabitants of the earth. In that fearful time the righteous must live in the sight of a holy God without an intercessor. The restraint which has been upon the wicked is removed, and Satan has entire control of the finally impenitent. God's long-suffering has ended. The world has rejected His mercy, despised His love, and trampled upon His law. The wicked have passed the boundary of their probation; the Spirit of God, persistently resisted, has been at last withdrawn. Unsheltered by divine grace, they have no protection from the wicked one. Satan will then plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble. As the angels of God cease to hold in check the fierce winds of human passion, all the elements of strife will be let loose. The whole world will be involved in ruin more terrible than that which came upon Jerusalem of old. {GC 614.1}

What do we learn from this?

1.The restraint which has been upon the wicked is removed, and Satan has entire control of the finally impenitent.
2.The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, has been at last withdrawn.
3.Unsheltered by divine grace, they have no protection from the wicked one.
4.Satan will then plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble.

So who's doing the destroying here? What do the holy angels do? Isn't it obvious that they restrain? Regarding if Satan is the destroying angel, yes. That's his name, in fact (Apolyon). God destroys be permitting Satan to do his destructive work. Consider Job, where God spoke of being moved to destroy Job. But what really happened?

Once the underlying principles are understood, as laid out above, this is very easy to understand. God's not schizophrenic. He doesn't sometimes restore and sometimes destroy. It's not sometimes not according to His Spirit to call fire down from heaven to destroy, and other times it is. For example, consider the statement "The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government." That doesn't mean sometimes, but always. Or "Compelling power if only found in Satan's government." That doesn't mean "Compelling power is found in both Satan's government and God's government."

It sounds like, yes, you believe the “destroying angel” and the “angel of the LORD” is in reality an evil angel. I find it hard to accept in light of the following passage:

1 Chronicles
21:14 So the LORD sent pestilence upon Israel: and there fell of Israel seventy thousand men.
21:15 And God sent an angel unto Jerusalem to destroy it: and as he was destroying, the LORD beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD stood by the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite.
21:16 And David lifted up his eyes, and saw the angel of the LORD stand between the earth and the heaven, having a drawn sword in his hand stretched out over Jerusalem. Then David and the elders [of Israel, who were] clothed in sackcloth, fell upon their faces.

And it sounds like you believe “the same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits” means holy angels will stop restraining evil angels and permit them to pour out the seven last plagues. If so, in what sense is it the “same destructive power”?

In other words, if, as you seem to be saying, exercising “destructive power” means ceasing restraining death and destruction, it stands to reason evil angels will also cease restraining death and destruction when they exercise the “same destructive power”. If so, who or what, then, will actually pour out the seven last plagues?

You wrote, “God destroys be permitting Satan to do his destructive work.” Do you mean God destroys by permitting Satan to cause death and destruction? If so, who or what do you think will cause death and destruction during the final judgment?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123703
02/28/10 03:36 AM
02/28/10 03:36 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
I meant to say the Samaritans, like the Amorites, had not yet filled up their cup of iniquity. That’s the comparison. I don’t think it matters how long they went without filling up their cup.

But this doesn't have anything to do with anything. The disciples suggested that Jesus call fire from heaven to destroy the Samaritans. Jesus didn't say, "This would be OK, if their cup will filled, but it's not, so it's not time yet." Instead He rebuked them. He said they didn't know of what spirit they were.

It wasn't a problem with timing but of spirit. Their spirit was wrong. Why? Because they wanted Jesus to call fire from heaven to destroy. Jesus explained this is the wrong spirit. Why? Because:

Quote:
Satan is the destroyer. God is the restorer.(Christian Educator, October 1, 1898)

Quote:
True, when Jesus was here in the flesh it was not His purpose to punish and destroy unredeemable sinners.

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. This is never His purpose. His purpose is always to heal, to save, to bless, to do good. Those who reject His love destroy themselves.

Quote:
Even from your point of view, it was not Jesus’ purpose while here in the flesh to withdraw His protection and permit unredeemable sinners to suffer and die according to their sinfulness. Citing the story above as proof that Jesus never punished and destroyed sinners in the past or that He will not punish or destroy them during the final judgment misses the mark.

No it doesn't. It shows what is a right spirit and what is a wrong spirit. The spirit that would call fire from heaven to destroy is wrong.

Quote:
It sounds like, yes, you believe the “destroying angel” and the “angel of the LORD” is in reality an evil angel.

These are two different angels. Satan is the destroyer. The Lord is the restorer. The angels of God guard against the destroyer. The holy angels at times permit Satan and his angels to destroy.

Quote:
And it sounds like you believe “the same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits” means holy angels will stop restraining evil angels and permit them to pour out the seven last plagues. If so, in what sense is it the “same destructive power”?

The evil angels exercise the same destructive power.

Quote:
In other words, if, as you seem to be saying, exercising “destructive power” means ceasing restraining death and destruction, it stands to reason evil angels will also cease restraining death and destruction when they exercise the “same destructive power”.

Huh? The bad angels destroy. The good angels prevent destruction.

Quote:
If so, who or what, then, will actually pour out the seven last plagues?

That's explained in GC 614:

Quote:
When He leaves the sanctuary, darkness covers the inhabitants of the earth. In that fearful time the righteous must live in the sight of a holy God without an intercessor. The restraint which has been upon the wicked is removed, and Satan has entire control of the finally impenitent. God's long-suffering has ended. The world has rejected His mercy, despised His love, and trampled upon His law. The wicked have passed the boundary of their probation; the Spirit of God, persistently resisted, has been at last withdrawn. Unsheltered by divine grace, they have no protection from the wicked one. Satan will then plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble. As the angels of God cease to hold in check the fierce winds of human passion, all the elements of strife will be let loose. The whole world will be involved in ruin more terrible than that which came upon Jerusalem of old.

Quote:
You wrote, “God destroys be permitting Satan to do his destructive work.” Do you mean God destroys by permitting Satan to cause death and destruction? If so, who or what do you think will cause death and destruction during the final judgment?

The prevailing power of God's government is truth and love. The death and destruction during the final judgment will result from this prevailing power.

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123712
02/28/10 05:55 PM
02/28/10 05:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: I meant to say the Samaritans, like the Amorites, had not yet filled up their cup of iniquity. That’s the comparison. I don’t think it matters how long they went without filling up their cup.

T: But this doesn't have anything to do with anything. The disciples suggested that Jesus call fire from heaven to destroy the Samaritans. Jesus didn't say, "This would be OK, if their cup will filled, but it's not, so it's not time yet." Instead He rebuked them. He said they didn't know of what spirit they were. It wasn't a problem with timing but of spirit. Their spirit was wrong. Why? Because they wanted Jesus to call fire from heaven to destroy. Jesus explained this is the wrong spirit. Why? Because: “Satan is the destroyer. God is the restorer.(Christian Educator, October 1, 1898)

When Elisha twice called down fire to kill the band of fifty would you say he was guilty of having a “wrong spirit”? When Jesus employed fire to kill Nadab and Abihu would you say he was guilty of having a “wrong spirit”? When Abraham tried to talk Jesus out of killing the inhabitants of S&G do you think Jesus was guilty of having a “wrong spirit” when He rained down fire and killed them? At the end of time, when Jesus rains down fire from above and raises up fire from below to kill the wicked do you think He will be guilty of having a “wrong spirit”?

Were the disciples guilty of having a “wrong spirit” when they wanted to call down fire to kill the Samaritans? Yes, of course. How do we know? Jesus said so! The question is – Did Jesus accuse anyone of having a “wrong spirit” in the cases I mentioned above? No, of course not. How do we know? Because Jesus didn’t say so! Instead, He was responsible for the outcome.

Quote:
M: True, when Jesus was here in the flesh it was not His purpose to punish and destroy unredeemable sinners.

T: Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. This is never His purpose. His purpose is always to heal, to save, to bless, to do good. Those who reject His love destroy themselves.

In the OT Jesus withdrew His protection and allowed sinners to be punished and destroyed. When He withdrew His protection, did He know it would result in them being punished and destroyed? Yes, of course. Does this mean He is a destroyer? No, of course not. Was it His purpose “to heal, to save, to bless, to do good” (your words) when He withdrew His protection? No, of course not. Instead, it was His purpose to punish them. Were there unredeemable sinners alive when Jesus was here in the flesh? Yes, of course. Did He withdraw His protection and allow them to be punished and destroyed? No, of course not. Why not? Because it wasn’t His purpose while here in the flesh.

Quote:
M: Even from your point of view, it was not Jesus’ purpose while here in the flesh to withdraw His protection and permit unredeemable sinners to suffer and die according to their sinfulness. Citing the story above as proof that Jesus never punished and destroyed sinners in the past or that He will not punish or destroy them during the final judgment misses the mark.

T: No it doesn't. It shows what is a right spirit and what is a wrong spirit. The spirit that would call fire from heaven to destroy is wrong.

See response above.

Quote:
M: It sounds like, yes, you believe the “destroying angel” and the “angel of the LORD” is in reality an evil angel.

T: These are two different angels. Satan is the destroyer. The Lord is the restorer. The angels of God guard against the destroyer. The holy angels at times permit Satan and his angels to destroy.

I’m surprised you believe the “destroying angel” and the “angel of the Lord” are two different angels. I’m also surprised you believe the “angel of death” and the “destroying angel” is an evil angel. Ellen wrote:

Quote:
The storm came as predicted--thunder and hail, and fire mingled with it, "very grievous, such as there was none like it in all the land of Egypt since it became a nation. And the hail smote throughout all the land of Egypt all that was in the field, both man and beast; and the hail smote every herb of the field, and brake every tree of the field." Ruin and desolation marked the path of the destroying angel. The land of Goshen alone was spared. It was demonstrated to the Egyptians that the earth is under the control of the living God, that the elements obey His voice, and that the only safety is in obedience to Him. {PP 269.3}

Our laws make it a high crime to take a false oath. God has often visited judgment upon the false swearer, and even while the oath was on his lips, the destroying angel has cut him down. This was to prove a terror to evildoers. {1T 202.2}

When God was about to smite the first-born of Egypt, He commanded the Israelites to gather their children from among the Egyptians into their own dwellings and strike their door posts with blood, that the destroying angel might see it and pass over their homes. It was the work of parents to gather in their children. This is your work, this is my work, and the work of every mother who believes the truth. The angel is to place a mark upon the forehead of all who are separated from sin and sinners, and the destroying angel will follow, to slay utterly both old and young. {5T 505.2}

If, as you say, the “destroying angel” is in reality an evil angel, wouldn’t that make the relationship between Jesus and Satan boss and hit man? What if Satan chose not to kill someone? What then? For example, what if Satan had chosen not to kill Pharaoh’s first-born son? Or, what if Satan had chosen not kill any of the first-born in Egypt? What then?

And, why do you think Satan so faithfully obeys Jesus in killing sinners, especially when doing so results in sinners loving and obeying God?

Quote:
M: And it sounds like you believe “the same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits” means holy angels will stop restraining evil angels and permit them to pour out the seven last plagues. If so, in what sense is it the “same destructive power”?

T: The evil angels exercise the same destructive power.

M: In other words, if, as you seem to be saying, exercising “destructive power” means ceasing restraining death and destruction, it stands to reason evil angels will also cease restraining death and destruction when they exercise the “same destructive power”.

T: Huh? The bad angels destroy. The good angels prevent destruction.

In what sense, then, is destroying sinners the “same destructive power exercised by holy angels”? If holy angels exercise “destructive power” by “preventing destruction”, why do you think evil angels exercise the “same destructive power” to cause destruction? What is the nature and essence of this “destructive power”?

Quote:
M: If so, who or what, then, will actually pour out the seven last plagues?

T: That's explained in GC 614: “When He leaves the sanctuary, darkness covers the inhabitants of the earth. In that fearful time the righteous must live in the sight of a holy God without an intercessor. The restraint which has been upon the wicked is removed, and Satan has entire control of the finally impenitent. God's long-suffering has ended. The world has rejected His mercy, despised His love, and trampled upon His law. The wicked have passed the boundary of their probation; the Spirit of God, persistently resisted, has been at last withdrawn. Unsheltered by divine grace, they have no protection from the wicked one. Satan will then plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble. As the angels of God cease to hold in check the fierce winds of human passion, all the elements of strife will be let loose. The whole world will be involved in ruin more terrible than that which came upon Jerusalem of old.”

She says Satan will control the “fierce winds of human passion” when probation closes. Do you think Satan will use humans to cause the devastation portrayed by the plagues? I don’t. I think it means Satan will inspire humans to war among themselves while holy angels obey Jesus and pour out the plagues.

Quote:
M: You wrote, “God destroys be permitting Satan to do his destructive work.” Do you mean God destroys by permitting Satan to cause death and destruction? If so, who or what do you think will cause death and destruction during the final judgment?

T: The prevailing power of God's government is truth and love. The death and destruction during the final judgment will result from this prevailing power.

What does God do now to prevent evil angels from suffering and dying as a result of the fact God is truth and love? Why doesn’t love and truth cause them to suffer and die now? And, what will God do differently that will result in them suffering and dying?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123718
02/28/10 07:29 PM
02/28/10 07:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
When Elisha twice called down fire to kill the band of fifty would you say he was guilty of having a “wrong spirit”?

How did Jesus respond to the disciples when they wanted to do so? There's the answer to your question.

Quote:
When Jesus employed fire to kill Nadab and Abihu would you say he was guilty of having a “wrong spirit”?

This has a false premise.

Quote:
When Abraham tried to talk Jesus out of killing the inhabitants of S&G do you think Jesus was guilty of having a “wrong spirit” when He rained down fire and killed them?

This has a false premise, in regards to Jesus, but Abraham's spirit was good.

Quote:
At the end of time, when Jesus rains down fire from above and raises up fire from below to kill the wicked do you think He will be guilty of having a “wrong spirit”?

This also has a false premise.

Quote:
Were the disciples guilty of having a “wrong spirit” when they wanted to call down fire to kill the Samaritans? Yes, of course. How do we know? Jesus said so!

We don't need that Jesus said so to know that they had a wrong spirit. Anyone understanding the issue would know this without Jesus' having said so. That Jesus said so helps those who don't understand the issue to understand it.

Quote:
The question is – Did Jesus accuse anyone of having a “wrong spirit” in the cases I mentioned above? No, of course not. How do we know? Because Jesus didn’t say so! Instead, He was responsible for the outcome.

No, MM. Destroying someone else is the wrong spirit. It always has been. This wasn't understood in the OT. God had to work with the people as they were, which makes it very difficult to figure things out from the OT. This is why I've been suggesting that one should form a foundation of God's character based on Jesus' ministry.

Consider:

1.Satan deceived man by misrepresenting God's character, investing God with his own characteristics.

2.Jesus Christ became a human being to reveal God's true character.

3.This was the "whole purpose" of Christ's mission.

4.All that man can know was revealed by the life and character of His Son.

This is good advice that I'm giving you. Consider Jesus Christ. Mediate upon His life, as Ellen White has suggested, to understand God's true character. Set aside the OT for the time being, and come back to it later after having formed a theology of God's character based on Christ's revelation.

There was a reason that it was necessary for Christ to come to reveal God's character. If it could have been understood simply from the OT, Christ wouldn't have had to reveal it.

Quote:
In the OT Jesus withdrew His protection and allowed sinners to be punished and destroyed. When He withdrew His protection, did He know it would result in them being punished and destroyed? Yes, of course. Does this mean He is a destroyer? No, of course not. Was it His purpose “to heal, to save, to bless, to do good” (your words) when He withdrew His protection? No, of course not.

I disagree. I don't think His purpose changed.

Here's an analogy. Say you have a child who is hooked on drugs. You do everything you can to help, but nothing works. Finally you decide to let the child go, judging this is the best alternative, knowing that you can't control the actions of an adult forever. You can't kidnap an adult, force them to do your will. You let the child go, but has your purpose changed? No, it hasn't. Your purpose is still to heal. You don't let the child go so it can be destroyed.

Quote:
Instead, it was His purpose to punish them. Were there unredeemable sinners alive when Jesus was here in the flesh? Yes, of course. Did He withdraw His protection and allow them to be punished and destroyed? No, of course not. Why not? Because it wasn’t His purpose while here in the flesh.

I disagree with you in terms of what you think Christ's purpose was. It was never His purpose to destroy, but always to heal, to save.

Quote:
If, as you say, the “destroying angel” is in reality an evil angel, wouldn’t that make the relationship between Jesus and Satan boss and hit man?

No. The first chapter of "The Great Controversy" explains that Satan, the great deceiver, conceals his own work by blaming it on God. It is Satan's purpose to misrepresent God's character. God has no desire to kill or destroy. Satan is not God's "hit man" because God has no desire than anyone be killed.

Quote:
What if Satan chose not to kill someone? What then? For example, what if Satan had chosen not to kill Pharaoh’s first-born son? Or, what if Satan had chosen not kill any of the first-born in Egypt? What then?

Satan couldn't resist the opportunity to make God look bad, and God knew that.

Quote:
And, why do you think Satan so faithfully obeys Jesus in killing sinners,

No! This is not an order of Jesus. Jesus explain that those who thought this way "knew now of what spirit" they were. This is not the Spirit of Christ.

Quote:
especially when doing so results in sinners loving and obeying God?

The result Satan was aiming for was that people would view God with fear and hate, investing Him with his own characteristics. Seeing people destroyed has never resulted in people loving God. Just think about this a little bit, MM. If you had a loved one, say one of the first born was you brother, and you thought God killed him, what would your response be? It would be to hate and fear God, not to love Him.

Quote:
In what sense, then, is destroying sinners the “same destructive power exercised by holy angels”? If holy angels exercise “destructive power” by “preventing destruction”, why do you think evil angels exercise the “same destructive power” to cause destruction? What is the nature and essence of this “destructive power”?

If you read the preceding paragraph, you can see that the holy angels are restraining. Christ ceases His work as intercessor, and the Spirit of God, resisted and rejected, finally withdraws, telling the holy angels to "release," which allows Satan and his angels to do their destructive work.

Quote:
She says Satan will control the “fierce winds of human passion” when probation closes. Do you think Satan will use humans to cause the devastation portrayed by the plagues? I don’t. I think it means Satan will inspire humans to war among themselves while holy angels obey Jesus and pour out the plagues.

She also talks about Satan's using the forces of nature to destroy. She uses Job as an example, pointing to how quickly earthquakes and other natural disasters came once Satan was permitted to do his will.

Quote:
T: The prevailing power of God's government is truth and love. The death and destruction during the final judgment will result from this prevailing power.

M:What does God do now to prevent evil angels from suffering and dying as a result of the fact God is truth and love?

He doesn't permit them to reap the full result of their sin (DA 764).

Quote:
Why doesn’t love and truth cause them to suffer and die now? And, what will God do differently that will result in them suffering and dying?

God will reveal the truth in the judgment. GC last chapter describes this.

Page 14 of 20 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 19 20

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:15 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 05/29/24 01:05 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!