HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,641 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Is the Scapegoat Satan or Jesus ? [Re: Elle] #137830
12/02/11 02:59 PM
12/02/11 02:59 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
FYI:
Quote:
Le 16:21 And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness:

Re: Is the Scapegoat Satan or Jesus ? [Re: kland] #137835
12/02/11 03:32 PM
12/02/11 03:32 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
FYI:
Quote:
Le 16:21 And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness:

Yes indeed. The sins were placed on both goats, just as our sins are to be placed on both Christ and on Satan.

The scapegoat (live goat) represents Satan, whereas the Lord's goat, which was sacrificed, represents Christ.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Is the Scapegoat Satan or Jesus ? [Re: kland] #137836
12/02/11 03:33 PM
12/02/11 03:33 PM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

Ok...here's the reason for the above. smile

Whereas our sins cause Jesus' death, as represented in the Lord's goat being killed at our own hands, our sins do not cause Satan's death--though our sins may be placed upon him and he be punished for them. The scapegoat was led out into the wilderness to wander by himself. Satan will also at the end be alone in a barren earth for a thousand years.

Our sins get placed both on the Lord's goat, causing His death, and on the scapegoat, who is punished for them, but not by us.
I think this said it good enough. I was mistaken and maybe, as one so put it, "need to read my Bible more". I had thought one was a goat and the other was a lamb. But reading back over it, there were two goats. One for the Lord. And one not.

If the scapegoat should represent Jesus, what did the other goat represent?
Both goats represents Jesus because both goats needed to be perfect without blemish to be the sin offering.

Notice that both are said to be sin offerings, Lev 16:5"And he shall take of the congregation of the children of Israel two kids of the goats for a sin offering, and one ram for a burnt offering."

Any of these goats cannot represent Satan as he is full of blemishes. Satan represent Azazel and none of these two goats.

Blessings
Re: Is the Scapegoat Satan or Jesus ? [Re: kland] #137837
12/02/11 03:53 PM
12/02/11 03:53 PM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
FYI:
Quote:
Thx Kland....good studying thanks!!! I stand corrected. I'm glad you found this as I didn't see it in the first section not checking the whole chapter. So I re-read the chapter seeing that the sin were only put on the live goat which was a sin offering without blemish representing Jesus.

Blessings
Re: Is the Scapegoat Satan or Jesus ? [Re: Elle] #137851
12/02/11 11:21 PM
12/02/11 11:21 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Elle,

Which goat are you saying is the "live goat?" Is that not the same as the scapegoat?

From my reading of the passage, the live goat is the scapegoat, and it is distinct from the other goat, which the passage calls the Lord's goat.

I don't see how you would make the two goats to be equal, for it seems a clear difference is put between them, both in the way they are treated, and in the nomenclature used for them. The scapegoat is not called the Lord's goat. The one which becomes the "sin offering" is.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Is the Scapegoat Satan or Jesus ? [Re: Green Cochoa] #137860
12/03/11 04:57 AM
12/03/11 04:57 AM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Elle,

Which goat are you saying is the "live goat?" Is that not the same as the scapegoat?

From my reading of the passage, the live goat is the scapegoat, and it is distinct from the other goat, which the passage calls the Lord's goat.

I don't see how you would make the two goats to be equal, for it seems a clear difference is put between them, both in the way they are treated, and in the nomenclature used for them. The scapegoat is not called the Lord's goat. The one which becomes the "sin offering" is.

Both(dead goat + alive goat) are sin offerings according to scriptures and both had to be without blemish to be a sin offering.

There are 3 goats: #1. the dead goat, #2. alive goat and #3. Azazel. The alive goat is not Azazel. "Scapegoat" of "goat-of-departure" are erronous translation for Azazel. see details below. I did fix the link for Scripture4all below.
Originally Posted By: elle post #137745
Please look for Lev 16:10 in the Mesoretic text in the Tenakh and Scripture4all interlinear tool. Both shows the same literal translation.

1. Basically the alive goat is not the scapegoat or Azazel – the Mesoretic text of the links above read that the the live goat(the 2nd goat for sin-offering) was for Azazel to be sent to Azazel in the desert/wilderness.

2. The Hebrew word “aza’zel” is best translated as “Azazel” and not as “goat of departure”.
  • i) Strong has erroneously defined it as deriving from ‘ez (h5795 – she goat ) and ‘azal (h235 – to go away). Please note that ‘azal does not mean “to take away” but “to go away” which are two different meaning. azal-ez does not fit together well and does not make up azazel.

• ii)It better derives from ‘azaz (h5810 -- to be stout ) and ‘el (h410 – god) -- fitting together perfectly azaz-el meaning a goat god also known as Pan, by which the Isreaelites where worshipping also in all their high places.

So Azazel is the goat god which represent Satan and also anyone who are stout and wants to take the place of god. We all fall in that category. So Jesus is sent to us all little goat-gods to take away our sins. This is the second work of Jesus which is known as SANCTIFICATION. The work of sanctification is based on his first work --JUSTIFICATION done at the cross.

Blessings
Re: Is the Scapegoat Satan or Jesus ? [Re: Elle] #137862
12/03/11 05:10 AM
12/03/11 05:10 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Honestly, that reasoning makes little sense to me. I recognize that Pan was a goat god. Modern cartoons, such as Peter Pan hark back to him. But you seem to be saying two things at once, and I cannot see how you reason it.

First, you equate the scapegoat with Azazel and say that it does not represent Jesus. Then you say Jesus was the live goat. The problem I have in understanding where you are coming from is that the live goat, as I understand it, must necessarily be the scapegoat. They are not two separate entities in the passage we are looking at.

Of course both goats are at the beginning "live." But only one of the two goats remains alive after the ceremonies are complete. That one is the scapegoat which is sent out into the wilderness.

If I'm misunderstanding your meaning, let me know.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Is the Scapegoat Satan or Jesus ? [Re: Green Cochoa] #137877
12/03/11 10:05 PM
12/03/11 10:05 PM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Honestly, that reasoning makes little sense to me. I recognize that Pan was a goat god. Modern cartoons, such as Peter Pan hark back to him. But you seem to be saying two things at once, and I cannot see how you reason it.

First, you equate the scapegoat with Azazel and say that it does not represent Jesus. Then you say Jesus was the live goat. The problem I have in understanding where you are coming from is that the live goat, as I understand it, must necessarily be the scapegoat. They are not two separate entities in the passage we are looking at.

Of course both goats are at the beginning "live." But only one of the two goats remains alive after the ceremonies are complete. That one is the scapegoat which is sent out into the wilderness.

If I'm misunderstanding your meaning, let me know.

It looks like we both posted a respond at the same time and I think you didn't see mine. I believe I answered your question above your post.

My seeming like reasoning contradiction lies in the fact there is 3 goats in Lev 16(the 2 goats for the sin offering plus Azazel) by which todays english traduction implies only 2 by equating Azazel to the 2nd goat that is kept alive. You need to refer to the masoretic texts to see the errors in our Bibles translation.

Blessings
Re: Is the Scapegoat Satan or Jesus ? [Re: kland] #137883
12/04/11 04:59 AM
12/04/11 04:59 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Elle wrote: "It's not only our sins that caused Jesus' death, it is mainly because G-d broke two major liability Laws "

!?!?!? Are you saying Jesus died for God's sins ?!!?!?! God sinned and Jesus had to pay for it ???????

Re: Is the Scapegoat Satan or Jesus ? [Re: dedication] #137884
12/04/11 05:16 AM
12/04/11 05:16 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
There are only two goats --
Lots are drawn, one is the Lord's the other for Azazel.

The Lord's goat is sacrificed. And while the priest enters the tabernacle to do the work of the atonement with the blood, the people are all outside afflicting their souls, praying for the atonement to be effective.
(See Lev.16:30; and 23:28,29)

All this time the Azazel goat stands at the door of the sanctuary staring out at the people -- he represents Satan the accuser of the brethern who accuses the people before God (see Rev. 12:10 and Zech. 3:1-5).

Satan has an accurate memory of the sins of those people and and he is accusing them before God that they do not deserve atonement.

But inside the priest, with the blood of the sacrifice, is making atonement and when he is finished making atonement for the people and the sanctuary he comes out and satan is silenced by having all the sins he's been busy accusing the forgiven people for committing, placed on his head, and he is sent out into the wilderness. Thus representing Satan's 1000 years in the abyss (see Rev. 21) which ends in his eternal destruction.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!