HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,641
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H), 3,435 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Is it possible to live without sinning? [Re: asygo] #126022
06/23/10 09:06 PM
06/23/10 09:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Agreed! Given this is the case, Christ having sinful flesh wouldn't be a (moral) problem, right?

Right. But that's assuming we're limiting it to actual flesh, and not expanding it to corrupt thoughts and feelings.

But there are contexts in which "flesh" includes moral qualities, such as "walk in the Spirit and you won't fulfill the lusts of the flesh" and "the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh." I'm not talking about that.

When one is made a new creature, in the image of Jesus, does that person have an evil heart?

No, right?

I'm not sure about that. In the Christian, the flesh and Spirit lust against each other. This is an instance where I believe the "flesh" includes moral qualities. In this context, the evil heart must be suppressed.

I think the flesh is still amoral here. EGW wrote that the flesh of itself cannot act contrary to the will of God. That's where the morality comes in. The flesh stirs up desires, and the Spirit makes appeals, and we choose who, or what, we will follow.

Quote:
Right. I didn't intend to mix the two. What I was trying to get across is that Rom 14:23 fits better with the paradigm of sin = lawlessness, rather than sin = willful disobedience. It includes the idea of passive sin.

The "transgression" in 1Jn 3:4 is actually lawlessness - lack of law. And since the law is simply the transcript of God's character, it should be obvious why lacking it is a very bad thing. I've never expressed it this way, but it seems to be a reasonable way to reword the verse - sin is the lack of God's character.

WDYT?

I think you mean by your expression a "lack of agreement with God's character." Given I'm correct about what you meant, I agree, in regards to unknown sin.

I'm qualifying my answer because there's sin and unknown sin. In terms of unknown sin, I think this would be a fine way of putting it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to live without sinning? [Re: Tom] #126063
06/26/10 07:41 AM
06/26/10 07:41 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I think the flesh is still amoral here. EGW wrote that the flesh of itself cannot act contrary to the will of God. That's where the morality comes in. The flesh stirs up desires, and the Spirit makes appeals, and we choose who, or what, we will follow.

If the flesh is stirring up desires that go against the desires of the Spirit, I don't see how that could be amoral. I don't know how much immoral you could get than going against the desires of the Spirit, and thereby warring against the soul. When something desires that which is anti-Christ, that something is not amoral.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to live without sinning? [Re: Tom] #126064
06/26/10 07:48 AM
06/26/10 07:48 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
Right. I didn't intend to mix the two. What I was trying to get across is that Rom 14:23 fits better with the paradigm of sin = lawlessness, rather than sin = willful disobedience. It includes the idea of passive sin.

The "transgression" in 1Jn 3:4 is actually lawlessness - lack of law. And since the law is simply the transcript of God's character, it should be obvious why lacking it is a very bad thing. I've never expressed it this way, but it seems to be a reasonable way to reword the verse - sin is the lack of God's character.

WDYT?

I think you mean by your expression a "lack of agreement with God's character." Given I'm correct about what you meant, I agree, in regards to unknown sin.

I'm qualifying my answer because there's sin and unknown sin. In terms of unknown sin, I think this would be a fine way of putting it.

Actually, I mean "not having God's character" is a very bad thing. I'm not sure if that matches your idea.

I'm also not sure why you need to qualify it to unknown sin. I think it works for all sin - known sin, unknown sin, willful sin, accidental sin, whatever sin. Sin is the lack of God's law of love.

(Side note: 1Jn 3:4 says, "Hamartia is anomia." The "anomia" part removes ignorance of the law as an excuse. The "hamartia" part removes inability to keep the law as an excuse. John had such a tremendous bias against sin.)

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to live without sinning? [Re: Tom] #126070
06/26/10 05:24 PM
06/26/10 05:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Tom, do you think the woman was possessed by seven different demons simultaneously and that Jesus cast them out one at a time over a period of time?

T: Yes.

I think Jesus totally set her free seven separate times. Each time He set her free He totally set her free. I don't believe He partially set her free seven different times until she was finally totally free. The legion of demons that possessed the two demoniacs were cast out at the same time. The two men were totally set free.

Quote:
M: If so, are you suggesting Jesus told her each time to go and live without committing the sins associated with the demons that were cast out? If so, are you suggesting a demon possessed person can cooperate with the Holy Spirit and resist sinning in specific areas but not in other ways due to demon possession?

T: I don't follow you. She was caught in the act of adultery, which was the result of her working as a prostitute. Her uncle seduced her, which led to her self-destruction. The first step back was this first encounter she had with Jesus Christ. Seven times Jesus cast demons out of her, until she was finally clean.

If, as you say, Jesus cast out demons seven different times until she was totally free of demons, aren't you assuming she was unclean and demon possessed until the last demon was cast out?

Quote:
T: To be clear, I'm not saying that there's an excuse for sin, or that it's OK if one sins, or anything like that. I know you know that I believe in perfection of character, but I'll reassert this belief for others who may not. I was pointing out that in the context of what was happening, Jesus Christ was not saying to her, "Now don't ever commit another sin again as long as you live," but "Go and sin (this sin) no more." This isn't giving her permission to do other sins, but is concentrating on the specific sin which was the issue at the time, which is how God works with each of us. He takes us where we are when we come to Him, and heals us, as we are willing and able to be healed.

Again, are you saying she was demon possessed when Jesus commanded her to "go and sin no more"? And, are you saying Jesus merely told her to "go and commit adultery no more"?

Re: Is it possible to live without sinning? [Re: asygo] #126071
06/26/10 05:59 PM
06/26/10 05:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
M: What is the difference between sinful flesh and evil heart? Is one inherited and the other cultivated? What happens to them when, in Christ, we cease sinning?

A: They can both be inherited and cultivated. The difference is that the evil heart is a moral issue, while the sinful flesh is amoral.

You seem to be saying condemnation is inherited. That is, if we inherit an evil heart, and having an evil heart is a moral issue, doesn't it stand to reason we are condemned before we choose to sin? However, isn't it true our salvation or condemnation is based on the character traits we ourselves cultivate?

Quote:
A: Did Jesus have both of them [sinful flesh and evil heart]?

Jesus inherited sinful flesh nature the same as us. Which, as you say, having a sinful flesh nature is amoral. Condemnation or salvation is based on character and not on what we inherit at birth. Regarding an evil heart, God said, "the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth." (Gen 8:21) It does not say we inherit an evil heart at conception. Instead, I think it's right to say we inherit a fallen flesh nature, which, until we experience rebirth, results in us naturally cultivating sinful traits of character, an "evil heart of unbelief".

Quote:
A: When one is made a new creature, in the image of Jesus, does that person have an evil heart?

I believe our evil heart is crucified when, in Christ, we experience the miracle of rebirth. Our fallen flesh nature remains, however, to tempt us from within to be unlike Jesus. While born-again and converted believers (people who are obeying and observing everything Jesus commanded) are actively and aggressively abiding in Jesus, partaking of the divine nature, they do not have an evil heart. Do you agree?

Ellen White has this to say about it:

Quote:
To be pardoned in the way that Christ pardons, is not only to be forgiven, but to be renewed in the spirit of our mind. The Lord says, "A new heart will I give unto thee." The image of Christ is to be stamped upon the very mind, heart, and soul. The apostle says, "But we have the mind of Christ" (1 Cor. 2:16). Without the transforming process which can come alone through divine power, the original propensities to sin are left in the heart in all their strength, to forge new chains, to impose a slavery that can never be broken by human power. But men can never enter heaven with their old tastes, inclinations, idols, ideas, and theories. Heaven would be no place of joy to them; for everything would be in collision with their tastes, appetites, and inclinations, and painfully opposed to their natural and cultivated traits of character. {3SM 190.2}

The words, "A new heart also will I give you" (Ezekiel 36:26), mean, A new mind will I give you. This change of heart is always attended by a clear conception of Christian duty, an understanding of truth. The clearness of our view of truth will be proportionate to our understanding of the word of God. He who gives the Scriptures close, prayerful attention will gain clear comprehension and sound judgment, as if in turning to God he had reached a higher plane of intelligence. {CT 452.3}

The youth especially stumble over this phrase, "A new heart." They do not know what it means. They look for a special change to take place in their feelings. This they term conversion. Over this error thousands have stumbled to ruin, not understanding the expression, "Ye must be born again." . . . When Jesus speaks of the new heart, He means the mind, the life, the whole being. To have a change of heart is to withdraw the affections from the world, and fasten them upon Christ. To have a new heart is to have a new mind, new purposes, new motives. What is the sign of a new heart?--a changed life. There is a daily, hourly dying to selfishness and pride. {SD 100.2}

Re: Is it possible to live without sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #126087
06/27/10 03:03 AM
06/27/10 03:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
T:I think the flesh is still amoral here. EGW wrote that the flesh of itself cannot act contrary to the will of God. That's where the morality comes in. The flesh stirs up desires, and the Spirit makes appeals, and we choose who, or what, we will follow.

a:If the flesh is stirring up desires that go against the desires of the Spirit, I don't see how that could be amoral.

It's amoral because the flesh, of itself, cannot act contrary to the will of God. Morality involves the mind.

Quote:
I don't know how much immoral you could get than going against the desires of the Spirit, and thereby warring against the soul.

Going against the desires of the Spirit, which involves the will, would indeed by immoral.

Quote:
When something desires that which is anti-Christ, that something is not amoral.

This is quite vague. "Something desires"?

The flesh of itself cannot act contrary to the mind.

Quote:
It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life. (DA 49)

The results shown in the history of Christ's ancestors include every sort of sin and vice, and such was His heredity, as t the flesh of itself cannot act contrary to the will of God. As we are tempted by the flesh we have, so was Christ, but temptation is not sin, and Christ remained sinless by saying no to the desires of the flesh.

Quote:
T:I think you mean by your expression a "lack of agreement with God's character." Given I'm correct about what you meant, I agree, in regards to unknown sin.

A:Actually, I mean "not having God's character" is a very bad thing. I'm not sure if that matches your idea.

Not having God's character would be a lack of agreement with God's character, right? I don't see what else this could mean.

Quote:
I'm also not sure why you need to qualify it to unknown sin. I think it works for all sin - known sin, unknown sin, willful sin, accidental sin, whatever sin. Sin is the lack of God's law of love.

Why not simply sin is the lack of God's love?

Quote:
(Side note: 1Jn 3:4 says, "Hamartia is anomia." The "anomia" part removes ignorance of the law as an excuse.

It's just saying that sin is lawlessness. It's not dealing with the issue of ignorance of the law being an excuse. John's not talking about this at all. John's point is that if one says one loves Christ, one should love one's brother.

Quote:
The "hamartia" part removes inability to keep the law as an excuse. John had such a tremendous bias against sin.)

Here's John's point:

Quote:
14We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

15Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

16Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

17But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

18My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. (1 John 3)

James made a similar argument.

John is talking about the practical expression of faith.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to live without sinning? [Re: Tom] #126088
06/27/10 03:09 AM
06/27/10 03:09 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #126071, EGW writes that seven times Mary had heard the rebuke of the demons which controlled her heart and mind. I don't think this can be read in a way that would agree with what you are saying.

Re: Is it possible to live without sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #126138
06/29/10 04:25 PM
06/29/10 04:25 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
M: What is the difference between sinful flesh and evil heart? Is one inherited and the other cultivated? What happens to them when, in Christ, we cease sinning?

A: They can both be inherited and cultivated. The difference is that the evil heart is a moral issue, while the sinful flesh is amoral.

You seem to be saying condemnation is inherited. That is, if we inherit an evil heart, and having an evil heart is a moral issue, doesn't it stand to reason we are condemned before we choose to sin?

It sure seems like it, doesn't it?

What are you disagreeing with (if any)? Are you saying that an evil heart is not a moral issue? Or are you saying that an evil heart is not inherited?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is it possible to live without sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #126140
06/29/10 05:18 PM
06/29/10 05:18 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
A: Did Jesus have both of them [sinful flesh and evil heart]?

Jesus inherited sinful flesh nature the same as us. Which, as you say, having a sinful flesh nature is amoral. Condemnation or salvation is based on character and not on what we inherit at birth. Regarding an evil heart, God said, "the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth." (Gen 8:21) It does not say we inherit an evil heart at conception. Instead, I think it's right to say we inherit a fallen flesh nature, which, until we experience rebirth, results in us naturally cultivating sinful traits of character, an "evil heart of unbelief".

So, did Jesus have an evil heart?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is it possible to live without sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #126143
06/29/10 06:52 PM
06/29/10 06:52 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Condemnation or salvation is based on character and not on what we inherit at birth.

But we are born with a character (which will be developed), just like Adam was created with a character.

"In the beginning, man was created in the likeness of God, not only in character, but in form and feature" (GC 644, 645).

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!