HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 25 of 27 1 2 23 24 25 26 27
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #103933
10/23/08 02:57 AM
10/23/08 02:57 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Please address post #103829 above on this thread.

I did. (Post #103895)

Quote:
Nevertheless, don’t you find it odd that in the end Satan will personate Christ?

No, not at all. Satan has deceived by this means from the beginning. He presents God's as having his attributes, and presents himself as having God's. So it is perfectly naturally that he would impersonate Christ.

Quote:
Why would he work so hard to make us fear and hate God and then turn around and personate Him? Seems counterproductive. Could it be that since the cross Satan has been laboring to paint an opposite picture of God, to make people think God is sweet and soft on sin?

Satan deceives by misrepresenting God's character. If we take the position that sin is innocuous, that there is nothing inherently dangerous in it, then there are two mistakes we can fall into.

1.God will kill you if you sin.
2.It's OK if you sin. Nothing bad will happen.

Both of these errors stem from the same wrong idea that sin is innocuous.

The truth is that sin is deadly, and God, who loves us, and doesn't want to see us destroyed by it, warns us of what sin will do to us.

Quote:
The “destruction” and “eradication” of sin and sinners is the inevitable result of sinning.

Your explanation doesn't fit in with what she actually says. 6 times in the space of a short paragraph she says that the wicked are responsible for their destruction. She specifically points out that it is *not* an act of God which causes their destruction, but, again, says over and over again that it is a choice of the wicked. In GC 543 she says their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves. A bit later in the same DA 764 passage we are talking about, she says that when Satan and his followers are "left" to reap the full result of their sin, they perish.

If I took a flamethrower to you to destroy you because of something I had judged you did, I could hardly say I was "leaving" you to reap the consequences of what your did, or that your demise was due to your own choice as opposed to an act of power on my part.

Quote:
But Satan told Eve that she would not die. He didn’t say, “God will kill you if you sin.” I agree Satan misrepresented God, but he didn’t do it by saying God will kill you.

That he didn't use this deception here doesn't mean he doesn't use it.

Quote:
He said the opposite, “Ye shall not surely die.” Turns out he was right.

Satan was right? So God must have been wrong, then, since God said the opposite.

Quote:
Yes, the angels were amazed God did not destroy the sinners just before Jesus’ incarnation. Nor are they amazed when God forgives penitent sinners.

This doesn't make sense. "Nor" implies the continuation of a negation. First you says "Yes, they were amazed" and then "Nor are they amazed." Doesn't make sense.

Your expression that the angels are "cool" with the idea of God's blotting out others is very off-putting. It's very unwelcome slang; it suggests God is cold-hearted in the extreme.

Jesus said:

Quote:
For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.(Luke 9:56)

God said:

Quote:
11Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?(Ezek. 33:11)

The true heart of God is manifest in His desire to save, not destroy.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #103972
10/24/08 05:37 PM
10/24/08 05:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T: Right. They were amazed and surprised. That was my point. I guess you're disputing that the Plan of Salvation amazed them? That is was the fact that God didn't kill people?

M:And my point is the angels were not "incorrect" in thinking God could justifiably punish and destroy sinners just before the first advent of Jesus.

T: They were wrong in thinking that God would do such a thing. The error was in relation to God's character, not in relation to what God could or could not justifiably do.

I guess we’ll have to disagree on this point. It is precisely because they were intimately familiar with God’s character that they were surprised God did not act to punish and destroy sinners just before the incarnation of Jesus. That they would have gladly done it if God had commanded them to is evidence they were cool with God punishing and destroying sinners. That’s my point. It didn’t cause them to fear God or to serve as seeds of rebellion. They were totally cool with God punishing and destroying sinners.

Quote:
The angels thought that the time had come to strike the blow of justice, whom, lo, to their wondering vision was unveiled the plan of salvation." MS 22, January 10, 1890

T: This is clear, MM; this has in view the unveiled Plan of Salvation, not simply God's not killing people.

M:It brings to light both aspects of the GC.

T: "Lo, to their wondering vision was unveiled the plan of salvation." That's just one.

1. The blow of justice. 2. The incarnation of Christ.

Quote:
M: No, because Jesus laid down His own life. He was not killed by anything or anyone.

T: Peter said: "Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. 23This man was handed over to you by God's set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross.(Acts 2)

Christ was put to death by being nailed to a cross. When Christ said He was laying down His life, He meant that He went to His fate voluntarily, not that He was not killed.

M: I disagree. Yes, Jews and Romans were responsible for nailing Jesus to the cross, but they didn't kill Him.

T: Acts 2 says, “Fellow Israelites, listen carefully to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man thoroughly accredited by God to you—the miracles and wonders and signs that God did through him are common knowledge—this Jesus, following the deliberate and well-thought-out plan of God, was betrayed by men who took the law into their own hands, and was handed over to you. And you pinned him to a cross and killed him.

The Jews handed Jesus over to the Romans who nailed Him to the cross. The Jews did not nail Jesus to the cross. Obviously, therefore, Paul is saying the Jews were responsible for what the Romans did. Jesus implied the same thing when He told Pilate, “Therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.” (John 19:11) In the same sense they are responsible for what Jesus did, namely, ending His own life after He conquered sin and death. This is what Jesus meant when He said, “Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.” (John 10:17, 18)

Quote:
M: She doesn't simply say "not secure", she specifically says "not secure against evil".

T: I quoted what she said. She said, "for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God."

M: "Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan." (5BC 1132)

T: You're citing the wrong passage! Since you are asserting she did not say "not secure against evil," you need to cite the passage *I* was citing, because you were responding to what *I* said.

What is the difference between the two sentences? 1. “Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan.” 2. “All who wish for security in earth or heaven must look to the Lamb of God.”

Quote:
M: If, as you say, they were not secure against evil then all of the angels would have rebelled and not just one-third of them.

T: Not at all, MM. The angels, as a class were not secure at the time Satan began his rebellion. They didn't become any more secure than this until the cross. The status of a class is not dependent upon the actions of specific individuals of that class. It's the fact that *any* of the angels rebelled that shows that the angels, as a class, were not secure.

M:The majority did not rebel, therefore, they were secure enough against evil to not rebel.

T: This is missing the point. The issue is not whether the angels were secure enough or not secure enough to not rebel. She says that without the cross, the angels were no more secure than they were when Satan rebelled. Here's her statement:

The death of Christ upon the cross made sure the destruction of him who has the power of death, who was the originator of sin. When Satan is destroyed, there will be none to tempt to evil; the atonement will never need to be repeated; and there will be no danger of another rebellion in the universe of God. That which alone can effectually restrain from sin in this world of darkness, will prevent sin in heaven. The significance of the death of Christ will be seen by saints and angels. Fallen men could not have a home in the paradise of God without the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. Shall we not then exalt the cross of Christ? The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God. It is through the efficacy of the cross that the angels of heaven are guarded from apostasy. Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan. Angelic perfection failed in heaven. Human perfection failed in Eden, the paradise of bliss. All who wish for security in earth or heaven must look to the Lamb of God. (5SDABC 1132)

The last sentence should make the point clear. Please notice it doesn't say "more security," but simply "security."

Why, then, did a minority of angels sin and rebel in heaven? In what sense were angels secure against evil before the cross? And, in what sense are they secure against evil this side of the cross? Finally, when did Jesus become the Lamb of God to the angels – before or after AD 31?

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #103973
10/24/08 05:38 PM
10/24/08 05:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
T: Do you think that Jesus Christ died because God killed Him? You didn't address this.

M: Yes and no. Yes, because the Father did things that contributed to the intense suffering Jesus experienced between Gethsemane and the cross.

T: What did He do?

He veiled His presence, and this caused Jesus to suffer in a way He hadn’t suffered before. Yes, He suffered bearing the sins of the world in the wilderness of temptation, but when God veiled His presence from Him on the cross Jesus suffered bearing the sins of the world in way He hadn’t previously experienced.

Quote:
M: Being more secure against evil on account of the cross does not in the least mean they were not secure against evil before Lucifer rebelled.

T: You are the one misquoting her! She didn't say "not more secure" she said "not secure."

I take it you agree with me, then, that being more secure against evil on account of the cross does not in the least mean they were not secure against evil before Lucifer rebelled.

Quote:
M: The fact the majority of them did not rebel is convincing evidence they were secure against evil.

T: Not at all. The fact that *any* of them rebelled is 100% proof that they were not secure.

I disagree. The majority were secure against evil as evidenced by the fact they chose not to side with Satan.

Quote:
M: Yes, they are now even more secure against evil this side of the cross, but being more secure doesn't mean they were not previously secure against evil.

T: If you say "even more secure," it's clear you're not understanding her point. Here's her statement: Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan.

She is not arguing that the angels were really secure when Satan rebelled, and even more secure after the cross, but that the angels were not secure when Satan rebelled, and no more secure than that without the cross.

She doesn't say that the cross provided more security, but security. The issue she addresses is not security vs. more security but a lack of security vs. security.

Again, what you call "lack of security" resulted in the majority of the angels not rebelling. They became more and more secure against evil each passing day. The cross, more than anything else, added to their ever increasing security against evil. Even this side of the cross they are becoming more and more secure against evil, and this kind of growth will continue throughout eternity. But again, becoming more and more secure against evil does not mean they were not secure against evil before Lucifer rebelled. You seem to be saying otherwise.

Quote:
"The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God."

T: Apart from looking to the sufferings of the Son of God, what are the angels? Quoting from above: "not secure." She doesn't say, "not more secure," but "not secure."

Considering what she wrote elsewhere it is obvious to me that the majority of the angels were secure enough against evil to not rebel. The fact a minority of angels rebelled is mysterious and unexplainable. Why? Because they were so secure against evil.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #103975
10/24/08 06:51 PM
10/24/08 06:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
M: Where in the Bible or the SOP does Satan say, "God will kill you if you don't do exactly what He says"?

T: Here's an SOP statement: “Satan led men to conceive of God as a being whose chief attribute is stern justice--one who is a severe judge, a harsh, exacting creditor. He pictured the Creator as a being who is watching with jealous eye to discern the errors and mistakes of men that He may visit judgments upon them. It was to remove this dark shadow, by revealing to the world the infinite love of God, that Jesus came to live among men.--SC 11 (1892).

M: Actually, this passage states it even more harshly, eh! Of course there is a degree of truth to what Satan says, namely, that God is strict about requiring obedience and punishing disobedience. Listen:

"The principles of justice required a faithful narration of facts for the benefit of all who should ever read the Sacred Record. Here we discern the evidences of divine wisdom. We are required to obey the law of God, and are not only instructed as to the penalty of disobedience, but we have narrated for our benefit and warning the history of Adam and Eve in Paradise, and the sad results of their disobedience of God's commands. The account is full and explicit. The law given to man in Eden is recorded, together with the penalty accruing in case of its disobedience. Then follows the story of the temptation and fall, and the punishment inflicted upon our erring parents. Their example is given us as a warning against disobedience, that we may be sure that the wages of sin is death, that God's retributive justice never fails, and that He exacts from His creatures a strict regard for His commandments. When the law was proclaimed at Sinai, how definite was the penalty annexed, how sure was punishment to follow the transgression of that law, and how plain are the cases recorded in evidence of that fact! {4T 11.3}

"God has given in His word decisive evidence that He will punish the transgressors of His law. Those who flatter themselves that He is too merciful to execute justice upon the sinner, have only to look to the cross of Calvary. The death of the spotless Son of God testifies that "the wages of sin is death," that every violation of God's law must receive its just retribution. Christ the sinless became sin for man. He bore the guilt of transgression, and the hiding of His Father's face, until His heart was broken and His life crushed out. All this sacrifice was made that sinners might be redeemed. In no other way could man be freed from the penalty of sin. And every soul that refuses to become a partaker of the atonement provided at such a cost must bear in his own person the guilt and punishment of transgression. {GC 539.3}

“Of course there is a degree of truth to what Satan says, namely, that God is strict about requiring obedience and punishing disobedience.” You didn’t address this point, Tom. Do you agree?

Quote:
Nevertheless, don’t you find it odd that in the end Satan will personate Christ?

T: No, not at all. Satan has deceived by this means from the beginning. He presents God's as having his attributes, and presents himself as having God's. So it is perfectly naturally that he would impersonate Christ.

Seems counterproductive to me. He has been working feverishly to make people fear and hate God, why, then, would he turn around and personate Christ? This insight suggests that he will change his strategy, that he will work to make people think they love God whereas in reality he has deceived them. If he can deceive people into thinking they love his version of God then it makes sense for him to personate Christ’s return.

Quote:
M: Why would he work so hard to make us fear and hate God and then turn around and personate Him? Seems counterproductive. Could it be that since the cross Satan has been laboring to paint an opposite picture of God, to make people think God is sweet and soft on sin?

T: Satan deceives by misrepresenting God's character. If we take the position that sin is innocuous, that there is nothing inherently dangerous in it, then there are two mistakes we can fall into.

1.God will kill you if you sin.
2.It's OK if you sin. Nothing bad will happen.

Both of these errors stem from the same wrong idea that sin is innocuous. The truth is that sin is deadly, and God, who loves us, and doesn't want to see us destroyed by it, warns us of what sin will do to us.

When A&E sinned, God was forced to prevent sinners from accessing the tree of life. Why? Because to eat of it was to perpetuate a life of sinning. Obviously, sin is not what causes sinners to die the first death – not eating the fruit is what causes them to die. Since sin isn’t what causes sinners to die, God must do something to cause them to die after He resurrects them. That something is 1) rain down fire from above, 2) raise up fire from below, and 3) expose them to the fire light of His radiant glory.

Quote:
M: The “destruction” and “eradication” of sin and sinners is the inevitable result of sinning. God doesn’t leave it up to sin to punish and destroy sinners. Even you agree it is the unveiled glory of God that causes sinners to suffer and die. He takes matters into His own hands. He will blot sinners out of existence. She states the matter more clearly in the following passages:

T: Your explanation doesn't fit in with what she actually says. 6 times in the space of a short paragraph she says that the wicked are responsible for their destruction. She specifically points out that it is *not* an act of God which causes their destruction, but, again, says over and over again that it is a choice of the wicked. In GC 543 she says their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves. A bit later in the same DA 764 passage we are talking about, she says that when Satan and his followers are "left" to reap the full result of their sin, they perish.

“She specifically points out that it is *not* an act of God which causes their destruction . . .” On the contrary, she specifically says, “I will destroy thee, O covering cherub.” {DA 763.4} “The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.” {DA 764.1} “Then the extermination of sin will vindicate God's love and establish His honor before a universe of beings who delight to do His will, and in whose heart is His law.” {DA 764.3} It is not an act of arbitrary power when God blots sinners out of existence. God is merely doing what law and justice demands of Him – to execute the death penalty.

“Even you agree it is the unveiled glory of God that causes sinners to suffer and die.” You didn’t comment on this point. Can you have it both ways – 1) sin kills resurrected sinners, and 2) the character of God kills resurrected sinners. Which is it?

Quote:
T: If I took a flamethrower to you to destroy you because of something I had judged you did, I could hardly say I was "leaving" you to reap the consequences of what your did, or that your demise was due to your own choice as opposed to an act of power on my part.

If the law states that the penalty for a particular crime is death by flamethrower, then executing the death penalty is leaving criminals to reap what they have sown. However, if a judge intervenes and pardons criminals he is not leaving them to reap what they have sown. Wording it this way makes perfect sense to me.

Quote:
M: But Satan told Eve that she would not die. He didn’t say, “God will kill you if you sin.” I agree Satan misrepresented God, but he didn’t do it by saying God will kill you.

T: That he didn't use this deception here doesn't mean he doesn't use it.

I agree he didn’t use this particular deception with Eve. God is the one who said, “In day that thou eatest thereof, thou shalt surely die.” This implies the death penalty. Listen:

Why was not the death penalty at once enforced in [of A&E]? -- Because a ransom was found. God's only begotten Son volunteered to take the sin of man upon Himself, and to make an atonement for the fallen race. There could have been no pardon for sin had this atonement not been made. Had God pardoned Adam's sin without an atonement, sin would have been immortalized, and would have been perpetuated with a boldness that would have been without restraint (RH April 23, 1901). {1BC 1082.6}

Quote:
M: He said the opposite, “Ye shall not surely die.” Turns out he was right. They didn’t die. And, if God hadn’t barred access to the tree of life, they would have eaten and lived forever. See Gen 3:22.

Does this mean sin is innocuous? No, of course not. Sinning is a hideous and terrible thing. The fact it doesn’t kill sinners doesn’t make it less repugnant and repulsive. And, the fact God will destroy and eradicate sinners with their sins in the lake of fire doesn’t make Him cruel or tyrannical.

The only reason God did not immediately blot the evil angels out of existence is because the rest of the universe was unprepared for it. And, the only reason God did not immediately execute A&E is because there was hope the human race would respond to the love of God be saved.

T: Satan was right? So God must have been wrong, then, since God said the opposite.

Interesting observation. Would you care to elaborate? Also, do you agree with the reasons I gave as to why God didn’t blot sinners out of existence the moment they sinned?

Quote:
M: Yes, the angels were amazed God did not destroy the sinners just before Jesus’ incarnation. Nor are they amazed when God forgives penitent sinners.

T: This doesn't make sense. "Nor" implies the continuation of a negation. First you says "Yes, they were amazed" and then "Nor are they amazed." Doesn't make sense.

Your expression that the angels are "cool" with the idea of God's blotting out others is very off-putting. It's very unwelcome slang; it suggests God is cold-hearted in the extreme.

Jesus said: “For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.(Luke 9:56) God said: Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?(Ezek. 33:11)

The true heart of God is manifest in His desire to save, not destroy.

Thanx for the grammar lesson, Coach. I can always count on you to correct me. Although I must admit it can a bit tedious at times. Oh well.

Yes, God “is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9) “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)

Nevertheless, God also says, “I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; and showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.” (Ex 20:5, 6) “The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.” (Ex 34:6, 7)

“Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.” (Heb 10:29-31)

Quote:
M: And, regarding the holy angels, they were cool with God punishing and destroying Satan and his sympathizers the moment Jesus explained the plan of salvation. Jesus is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

T: ??? Where do you get this idea from?? I'm sure you can find passages where the angels were willing or expecting God to do away with man, but these passages say nothing about their being inspired to do so by the Plan of Salvation! Indeed, we see the exact opposite in the following:

“All heaven watched the movements of God with intense interest. Would He once more manifest His wrath? Would He destroy the world by fire? The angels thought that the time had come to strike the blow of justice, whom, lo, to their wondering vision was unveiled the plan of salvation." MS 22, January 10, 1890.

"The heavenly intelligences were prepared for a fearful manifestation of Almighty power. Every move was watched with intense anxiety. The exercise of justice was expected. The angels looked for God to punish the inhabitants of the earth... The heavenly universe was amazed at God’s patience and love. To save fallen humanity the Son of God took humanity upon himself." (Review and Herald, July 17, 1900)

M: Yes, the angels were amazed God did not destroy the sinners just before Jesus’ incarnation. No, they are not amazed when God forgives penitent sinners. Nor were they amazed when Jesus became the incarnate Son of God to ransom and redeem penitent sinners. They were well aware of the plan of salvation. The point is they were comfortable with God destroying unpardonable sinners long before Jesus died on the cross in 31AD.

Again, Jesus is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, therefore, the angels have benefited from the efficacy of His death since the moment He explained the plan of salvation to them. From then on they have been comfortable with the idea of God blotting evil angels out of existence. In fact, they would have been comfortable with it if A&E had not sinned. These 6,000 years of sin and suffering are not necessary for the angels to be comfortable with God destroying and eradicating sinners.

I’ve edited the paragraphs above to reflect your counsel and comments. Do you agree with them?

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #103991
10/25/08 01:45 AM
10/25/08 01:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:And my point is the angels were not "incorrect" in thinking God could justifiably punish and destroy sinners just before the first advent of Jesus.

T: They were wrong in thinking that God would do such a thing. The error was in relation to God's character, not in relation to what God could or could not justifiably do.

M:I guess we’ll have to disagree on this point. It is precisely because they were intimately familiar with God’s character that they were surprised God did not act to punish and destroy sinners just before the incarnation of Jesus. That they would have gladly done it if God had commanded them to is evidence they were cool with God punishing and destroying sinners.

I agree we see things very differently. As I pointed out, I find the phrase "they were cool with God punishing and destroying sinners" to be very off-putting, offensive even. I think this way of looking at things puts God in a very negative light indeed. It seems to me diametrically opposed to everything Jesus taught and did.

Quote:
That’s my point. It didn’t cause them to fear God or to serve as seeds of rebellion. They were totally cool with God punishing and destroying sinners.

Same comment. This language makes me cringe; it seems to echo Satan's mischaracterizations of God's character.

It seems clear we see God very differently. If God were like you present Him as being, I would want nothing to do with Him. I'm guessing the feeling is reciprocal?

Also your comments seem not to take notice of what EGW actually said. First of all, it was not specifically the incarnation that made the difference, but the cross. Secondly, she brings out that the angels expected God to act in one way (punish and destroy, as you put it) but God actually acted another (Plan of Salvation). So if the angels knew God's character so well, why were they amazed? They should simply have expected the Plan of Salvation, not have been amazed by it.

Quote:
The angels thought that the time had come to strike the blow of justice, whom, lo, to their wondering vision was unveiled the plan of salvation." MS 22, January 10, 1890

T: This is clear, MM; this has in view the unveiled Plan of Salvation, not simply God's not killing people.

M:It brings to light both aspects of the GC.

T: "Lo, to their wondering vision was unveiled the plan of salvation." That's just one.

1. The blow of justice. 2. The incarnation of Christ.

This #1 you list was in error. They *thought* the time had come to strike the blow of justice, *but* something else happened instead.

Quote:
M: No, because Jesus laid down His own life. He was not killed by anything or anyone.

Regarding this comment, I presented Acts 2, which says that Christ was killed. Jesus' words are indicating that He gave His life willingly, as Isa. 53 brings out. They don't imply He wasn't killed.

Again, the words of Peter:

Quote:
The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers hath glorified his Son Jesus, whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go. But ye denied the Holy One, and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you, and killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead, whereof we are witnesses. Peter told them that it was faith in Jesus that had caused this perfect soundness of a man who was before a cripple.

Quote:
T: You're citing the wrong passage! Since you are asserting she did not say "not secure against evil," you need to cite the passage *I* was citing, because you were responding to what *I* said.

What is the difference between the two sentences? 1. “Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan.” 2. “All who wish for security in earth or heaven must look to the Lamb of God.”

Now you've got too things different from what I was quoting.

Quote:
The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God. (5SDABC 1132)

Except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God, what are the angels? "Not secure."

Quote:
EGW:Angelic perfection failed in heaven. Human perfection failed in Eden, the paradise of bliss. All who wish for security in earth or heaven must look to the Lamb of God. (5SDABC 1132)

T:The last sentence should make the point clear. Please notice it doesn't say "more security," but simply "security."

M:Why, then, did a minority of angels sin and rebel in heaven?

This is the wrong question! That *any* angels rebelled shows they weren't secure.

Quote:
In what sense were angels secure against evil before the cross? And, in what sense are they secure against evil this side of the cross?

Read the 5SDABC 1132 quote. The answers to your questions are there.

Quote:
Finally, when did Jesus become the Lamb of God to the angels – before or after AD 31?

Jesus Christ isn't the Lamb of God to the angels. He's the Lamb of God to men. The following breathtakingly beautiful passage brings this out:

Quote:
2And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?

3And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon.

4And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon.

5And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.

6And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain (Rev. 5)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #103992
10/25/08 01:59 AM
10/25/08 01:59 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
He veiled His presence, and this caused Jesus to suffer in a way He hadn’t suffered before. Yes, He suffered bearing the sins of the world in the wilderness of temptation, but when God veiled His presence from Him on the cross Jesus suffered bearing the sins of the world in way He hadn’t previously experienced.

Do you see this as something God did, or sin? That is, on the cross Christ "became sin" for us (another metaphor!) which means something. From my point of view, this expresses the effect that sin had upon Him, as opposed to something that God did to Him.

Quote:
M: Being more secure against evil on account of the cross does not in the least mean they were not secure against evil before Lucifer rebelled.

T: You are the one misquoting her! She didn't say "not more secure" she said "not secure."

M:I take it you agree with me, then, that being more secure against evil on account of the cross does not in the least mean they were not secure against evil before Lucifer rebelled.

I'm not following your reasoning here. You misquoted EGW, I corrected you, and you take this as reason to take it that I agree with you? Please explain your reasoning here.

Quote:
M: The fact the majority of them did not rebel is convincing evidence they were secure against evil.

T: Not at all. The fact that *any* of them rebelled is 100% proof that they were not secure.

M:I disagree. The majority were secure against evil as evidenced by the fact they chose not to side with Satan.

No, MM. NONE of the angels were secure. Not a single one. Their rebelling, or not rebelling, was not caused by their security or lack of it. Satan made an argument, and some of the chose to buy his argument and stand by his side, and some of the chose not to. The SOP points out that the angels are "not secure" except as they look to the sufferings of Christ. Thus the could not have become secure until they did so.

The whole point of the 5SDABC 1132 passage is that the cross secured the universe. In a nutshell: "That which alone can effectually restrain from sin in this world of darkness, will prevent sin in heaven....All who wish for security in earth or heaven must look to the Lamb of God."

I think the points that followed in your post have been dealt with by the above comments.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #103994
10/25/08 03:36 AM
10/25/08 03:36 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
“Of course there is a degree of truth to what Satan says, namely, that God is strict about requiring obedience and punishing disobedience.” You didn’t address this point, Tom. Do you agree?

Where did Satan say this? I only see you saying this from anything in your post.

Quote:
Seems counterproductive to me. He has been working feverishly to make people fear and hate God, why, then, would he turn around and personate Christ? This insight suggests that he will change his strategy, that he will work to make people think they love God whereas in reality he has deceived them. If he can deceive people into thinking they love his version of God then it makes sense for him to personate Christ’s return.

As I pointed out, from the beginning Satan has attempted two things:

1.Make God such a one as himself.
2.Present himself as being like God.

He presented God as harsh and severe, ready to punish someone for the least infraction, self-centered, and not having the interests of His creatures at heart. On the other hand, he presented himself as being fair and aboveboard, simply interested in the welfare of others.

Remember that Satan desired the homage of God's creatures from the beginning. What better way of accomplishing this than by impersonating Christ?

Quote:
When A&E sinned, God was forced to prevent sinners from accessing the tree of life. Why? Because to eat of it was to perpetuate a life of sinning. Obviously, sin is not what causes sinners to die the first death – not eating the fruit is what causes them to die. Since sin isn’t what causes sinners to die, God must do something to cause them to die after He resurrects them. That something is 1) rain down fire from above, 2) raise up fire from below, and 3) expose them to the fire light of His radiant glory.

This is again looking at things simply from a physical perspective. Your comments imply you think sin is innocuous. It isn't. It causes death. This point is stated by both Scripture and the SOP in many ways. "The soul that sins shall die." "The wages of sin is death." "The sting of death is sin." "And sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death." "The inevitable result of sin is death."

Here's an especially fine statement:

Quote:
"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," even so was the Son of man "lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:14, 15. All who have ever lived upon the earth have felt the deadly sting of "that old serpent, called the devil, and Satan." Revelation 12:9. The fatal effects of sin can be removed only by the provision that God has made. The Israelites saved their lives by looking upon the uplifted serpent. That look implied faith. They lived because they believed God's word, and trusted in the means provided for their recovery. So the sinner may look to Christ, and live. He receives pardon through faith in the atoning sacrifice. Unlike the inert and lifeless symbol, Christ has power and virtue in Himself to heal the repenting sinner. (PP 431)

The "fatal effects of sin" can only be "removed" by looking to the cross; by doing this, Christ can "heal" the repenting sinner. Here are all the vital elements:

1.Sin causes death ("fatal effects of sin")
2.These effects must be removed.
3.The sinner is healed from these effects by looking to Christ.

Quote:
“She specifically points out that it is *not* an act of God which causes their destruction . . .” On the contrary, she specifically says, “I will destroy thee, O covering cherub.”

You're confusing Ellen White with God here. It was God who said, "I will destroy thee, O covering cherub." Ellen White quoted Ezekiel, who was relaying God's words. EGW also quoted from Malachi. She then explained her understanding of these prophecies by stating that the death of the wicked is not an act of power from God, but the result of their own choice. Over and over she makes this point, 6 times in one paragraph.

Quote:
“Even you agree it is the unveiled glory of God that causes sinners to suffer and die.” You didn’t comment on this point. Can you have it both ways – 1) sin kills resurrected sinners, and 2) the character of God kills resurrected sinners. Which is it?

We've already discussed this. I gave you an analogy. Say the air we breath is poisoned, so that if we breath we die. Living by receiving the love of God is as natural as breathing. That the love of God should cause anyone to die shows what a deadly thing sin is. Remember, the same thing that gives life to the righteous, the revelation of God's character of love, is what slays the wicked. God doesn't do something arbitrary to the wicked that makes them die. Sin makes them die. He reveals His character to both the righteous and the wicked, and for one group the result is life and for the other it's death.

Quote:
Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?

He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly(Isa. 33:14, 15)

Quote:
If the law states that the penalty for a particular crime is death by flamethrower, then executing the death penalty is leaving criminals to reap what they have sown.

No, this would be the alternative she says it is not, an arbitrary act of power on the part of God.

Quote:
However, if a judge intervenes and pardons criminals he is not leaving them to reap what they have sown. Wording it this way makes perfect sense to me.

Only if you don't read the paragraph, and the following one, in context. If she were making an argument that God was executing the wicked, not capriciously, but for a good reason, your suggestion would make sense. But this isn't her argument. Her argument is that it is not God's act of power that results in their death, but instead it is a result of their own choice. Their choice had so ruined their character that they cannot abide God's presence. This is what she argues.

Quote:
M: But Satan told Eve that she would not die. He didn’t say, “God will kill you if you sin.” I agree Satan misrepresented God, but he didn’t do it by saying God will kill you.

T: That he didn't use this deception here doesn't mean he doesn't use it.

I agree he didn’t use this particular deception with Eve. God is the one who said, “In day that thou eatest thereof, thou shalt surely die.” This implies the death penalty.

But this just begs the question of what causes death. Does God cause death, or sin? That's the whole question. If Satan can get us to think that God is responsible for death rather than sin, this wins him all sorts of battles.

1.He is off the hook for being responsible for causing death.
2.Sin is innocuous, not a bad thing of itself, but something which God doesn't like, so He kills those who do it.
3.God is feared rather than loved.
4.God is seen as severe and harsh, one who will kill you if you dare to act contrary to His will.

Quote:
T: Satan was right? So God must have been wrong, then, since God said the opposite.

M:Interesting observation. Would you care to elaborate?

You said:

Quote:
M: He said the opposite, “Ye shall not surely die.” Turns out he was right.

You claim Satan said the opposite thing that God said, and that Satan was right. Therefore, according to you, God was wrong. I think God was right and Satan was wrong.

Quote:
Also, do you agree with the reasons I gave as to why God didn’t blot sinners out of existence the moment they sinned?

I don't look at this the same way you do. You see sin as not lethal. I do. I see it as having fatal effects that must be removed, and that sinners must be healed of these effects. If God had not implemented the Plan of Salvation, there would have been no healing from these fatal effects.

Quote:
M: Yes, the angels were amazed God did not destroy the sinners just before Jesus’ incarnation. Nor are they amazed when God forgives penitent sinners.

T: This doesn't make sense. "Nor" implies the continuation of a negation. First you says "Yes, they were amazed" and then "Nor are they amazed." Doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Thanx for the grammar lesson, Coach.

Actually it's not grammar, but diction. smile

Quote:
I can always count on you to correct me. Although I must admit it can a bit tedious at times. Oh well.

Rather than complain that my correction of your posts is tedious, have you considered that having to parse confusing statements like this my be tedious to your reader? Perhaps you might consider proof-reading your posts?

Regarding the texts you cited, you cite these as if God did these things. Over and over you cite texts that seem to present God in a negative light. But there are explanations to these texts, that present God in a right light, in harmony with the character which Christ presented. For example, in regards to the Ex. 34:6, 7 text:

Quote:
"Visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me." It is inevitable that children should suffer from the consequences of parental wrongdoing, but they are not punished for the parents' guilt, except as they participate in their sins. It is usually the case, however, that children walk in the steps of their parents. By inheritance and example the sons become partakers of the father's sin. Wrong tendencies, perverted appetites, and debased morals, as well as physical disease and degeneracy, are transmitted as a legacy from father to son, to the third and fourth generation. This fearful truth should have a solemn power to restrain men from following a course of sin.(PP 306)

This isn't something God does at all! Once more, again, this is an example of what sin does. "This fearful truth should have a solemn power to restrain men from following a course of sin."

God "visits iniquity" by permitting the law of cause and effect outlined by the SOP to play out.

Quote:
I’ve edited the paragraphs above to reflect your counsel and comments. Do you agree with them?

Sorry, I didn't follow this.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #104029
10/26/08 03:00 PM
10/26/08 03:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you, Tom, for being so patient with me. I realize studying with me requires a lot of love and kindness on your part. It is obvious that all the time you spend hanging out with Jesus is paying off. He is rubbing off on you.

I believe the angels were secure against evil before Lucifer rebelled. I believe they become more and more secure against evil each passing day. The cross, more than anything else, accounts for why affliction shall not arise a second time.

The angels have been comfortable with God commanding them to punish and destroy impenitent sinners since shortly after the fall of A&E. They are also comfortable with God punishing and destroying them Himself. And, they are also comfortable with God permitting evil angels to do it.

I believe sinners will suffer and die in the lake of fire due to three things: 1) fire from above, 2) fire from below, and 3) the fire light of God's glory. Sin alone is not what kills sinners. When sin is exposed to the unveiled glory of God sinners suffer and die.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #125944
06/19/10 11:15 PM
06/19/10 11:15 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The Google Bot was actually looking at this thread, which also drew my attention to it and the fact that the thread died after two important questions were asked by Mike, therefore, I thought I would bump this question for a response.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Daryl] #125951
06/20/10 01:13 PM
06/20/10 01:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
What two questions are you referring to?

Page 25 of 27 1 2 23 24 25 26 27

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!