HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,641
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, daylily, dedication), 3,117 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: Mountain Man] #126432
07/19/10 10:04 PM
07/19/10 10:04 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline OP
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Hebrews 1
1In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son,

I believe there are many men and women through whom God is today speaking to Christendom, although I could not make a case for proving any of them. Anyone who God speaks through would be inspired, although the verse above suggests none of them would be authoritative like Moses and Elijah. The apostles authority would be based in being the ones who:

Acts 2:32
God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact.

1 Peter 5
1To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder, a witness of Christ's sufferings and one who also will share in the glory to be revealed:

1 John 1:3
We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.

And of course all such authority given to men and women is of Gods choice and makes its work through Gods power and the Spirits work on the prophet as well as on the one who listens.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: Mountain Man] #126434
07/20/10 04:26 AM
07/20/10 04:26 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes, there are people who are speaking the truth throughout Christendom today. But what I'm asking is if you believe any of them have the gift/spirit of prophecy in the same way other biblical authors did? And, can you name a few?

Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: Mountain Man] #126438
07/20/10 09:28 AM
07/20/10 09:28 AM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
I thought I answered this question already by pointing out that the authority formerly given to the prophets now resides with Jesus, who through being God wont be looking for a replacement any time soon.
In a way, anyone who has a testimony about Jesus does have the spirit of prophecy but no, I cant name anyone.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: vastergotland] #126444
07/20/10 02:29 PM
07/20/10 02:29 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
I'm not sure the topic is about the Holy Spirit and who is inspired as much as it is about "hobby theology". (Very appropriate phrase.)

Sometimes a passage just does not say what we think it says, or what we want it to say, or what we have been taught it says. Examples include:

Isaiah 28:10, which Vastergotland already quoted.
John 5:39, used to encourage Bible study, but is actually a condemnation of the Jews for not understanding Scripture.
Genesis 31:49, often used as a parting blessing but is actually a curse or threat.
Exodus 20:7 is not about swearing or using the Lord's name in vain, but about keeping your word.

Last edited by JAK; 07/20/10 02:32 PM.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: JAK] #126445
07/20/10 02:37 PM
07/20/10 02:37 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Good points JAK.

Galatians 2

Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: vastergotland] #126447
07/20/10 02:54 PM
07/20/10 02:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, fair enough. I'll drop it. But I don't agree that having a personal testimony counts as having the gift/spirit of prophecy in the biblical sense.

Regarding proof-texts, though, I'm all in favor of the method. Paul used it very effectively. Scripture is pregnant with meaning. Limiting a passage to the immediate context robs it of its richness.

Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: Mountain Man] #126452
07/20/10 03:56 PM
07/20/10 03:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Prooftexting is the practice of using decontextualised quotations from a document (often, but not always, a book of the Bible) to establish a proposition. Critics of the technique note that often the document, when read as a whole, may not in fact support the proposition.(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof-text)

Paul didn't use this method. I'm curious as to why you think he did. The only thing I can think of is that Paul quoted Scripture, and since you quote Scripture, you reasoned Paul must have been doing the same thing you do(?).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: Mountain Man] #126453
07/20/10 03:59 PM
07/20/10 03:59 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Yes, a personal testimony does not equate having the spirit of prophecy. However, history suggest that having received this gift, it is impossible to remain without such a testimony.

Yes, it is easy to multiply richness by creative quoting. Taking a verse which describes priests and prophets who stagger around the temple courtyard with a wine-bottle in one hand and a can of beer in the other when they are not busy throwing up on the temple furniture, to take the text which describe how they who should speak truth and blessing mumble in their drunken haze and say, this is prescriptive of how we will go about studying the bible. Yes, richness of meaning is certainly being multiplied and overflowing. It is certainly easy to see why anyone who insists on taking this verse as prescriptive will want to avoid context as far as possible since adding it would wreak havoc on the church absolutist position on drunkenness.

Or the example JAK pointed out, where Jesus rebuke of the Pharisees whose intense bible-study in believing the knowledge would grant them life lead them to neither hearing Gods word or meet Jesus, either of which would have let them reach their goal. In context, this kind of bible-study is empty and dead piling of knowledge. Again it is certainly understandable why anyone who wish to read this sentence prescriptively must be scrutinous to avoid any of the context.

Thomas

Galatians 2

Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: vastergotland] #126454
07/20/10 04:03 PM
07/20/10 04:03 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Thomas, I agree. But do you know of anyone today through whom God is speaking to Christendom, someone whose words are inspired and authoritative (like Moses, Elijah, Peter, Paul, John, etc)?

I'm not sure the idea of "inspired and authoritative" is a correct idea. I think what gives something authority is truth, if it makes sense to put it that way. To discern truth, we need the Holy Spirit. Truth, regardless of who says it, is authoritative.

FWIW, EGW referred to Jones and Waggoner as "prophets."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "line upon line, here a little, there a little" [Re: Tom] #126466
07/20/10 08:01 PM
07/20/10 08:01 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

Would you consider yourself a prophet? What about other believers? What about christians who belong to other denominations?

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!