HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,954 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 42 of 103 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #126935
08/26/10 02:39 PM
08/26/10 02:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, let's establish a foundation first. If the Bible represents God fearing Jesus will fail then please post a plain, Thus saith the Lord. Citing King Saul's demise does not satisfy this quest.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #126937
08/26/10 04:36 PM
08/26/10 04:36 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
I hear you saying it is possible to conclude from the Bible alone that the Father feared Jesus would fail. Have I misunderstood your point?

Post 126911 goes into detail regarding a number of points you asked about. Please respond to that post.

Please confine your comments to what's actually said. This is a delicate subject, and I put effort into what I'm writing, trying to choose my words carefully. If you think what I'm writing is equivalent to something else which your asking about, please connect the dots to get from what I wrote to what your asking about.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #126938
08/26/10 04:43 PM
08/26/10 04:43 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Kland, let's establish a foundation first. If the Bible represents God fearing Jesus will fail then please post a plain, Thus saith the Lord. Citing King Saul's demise does not satisfy this quest.

I explained a few posts back that the foundational point has to do with the concept of risk, not simply some specific incident:

Quote:
This isn't a foundational point. The foundational point regards risk. Does God take risks? *That's* the foundational point.

We can address this from the standpoint of Scripture or the SOP. The SOP makes clear that God takes risks, and did so specifically in regards to sending Christ. Whether the Bible addresses this point has no bearing on whether or not what the SOP says is true or not.

Regarding whether or not the Bible presents God as taking risks is a foundational point we may consider.

The *concept* of risk is what's foundational. Is God a God who takes risks?

Under your view, God takes no risk, regardless of the incident.

Regarding the use of "risk" and God's killing Saul, the point that kland was making was that in Scripture it says, "God killed Saul," even though He didn't. God is often presented as doing things which He permits. So this is a principle which explains how the direct language, taken apart from how it's used in Scripture, could be taken the wrong way can instead be understood correctly.

He was pointing this out as a way of not directly rejecting your idea that when Ellen White says that risk was involved, it really wasn't, and was inviting you to connect the dots in an analogous way to God's killing Saul.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #126944
08/26/10 05:17 PM
08/26/10 05:17 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Tom

Assuming God takes risks, and further assuming that taking a risk involves a real possibility for failing, would you say that we have evidence that God did fail once or more or not at all?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #126947
08/26/10 07:38 PM
08/26/10 07:38 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
The post I had in mind was 88407:
Quote:
T:An event *can* have a probability of 1. There’s no problem with that.
R:Although the concept is sometimes used, I disagree.

As I explained:
Quote:
It’s not “sometimes” used; it’s always used. I provided the formula for you; P(A) = The Number Of Ways Event A Can Occur /The Total Number Of Possible Outcomes. For example, what’s the probability of a die coming up with a number between 1 and 6? It’s 1.
This isn’t a “concept” that you can disagree with. What you are asserting is something like the following “While the concept that 5 is an integer is sometimes used, I disagree.”

OK, it’s always used. What I meant by saying that I disagreed with it was that in Math there are some theoretical concepts which make no sense rigorously – for instance, raising something to the zeroth power. What I was pointing out is that the probability theory is the mathematical study of randomness, so speaking of probability for events which are certain rigorously makes no sense. But I don't remember what the importance was of discussing this at the time (I mean, this particular aspect of the discussion).

Quote:
Here's the example:
Quote:
The example I gave was of drawing a marble from a hat. If there are two marbles in a hat, and both of them blue, the probability of drawing a blue marble from the hat is 1 even though the event is random (either marble can be drawn).
The probability for an event to occur is the number of favorable outcomes over the total number of outcomes. If these two numbers are equal, then the probability of the event occurring is 1, although either marble could be chosen.

What are you disagreeing with?

At the time I disagreed with your describing as a random event the drawing of a blue marble from a hat where there were two blue marbles. That either marble could be chosen is not in question – what is in question is the color of the drawn marble, which is not random. In the same way that if I do not live in the last generation, my probability of dying is 1. What randomness is there in this? None, of course.

Quote:
I let you have the last word on this years ago, but Mark resurrected it, so have fun!

Shame on Mark for resurrecting it! In fact you didn’t let me have the last word; it was just that at the time you were in the process of moving to another state, if I’m not mistaken. But I will let you have the last word this time.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #126950
08/26/10 08:50 PM
08/26/10 08:50 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
OK, it’s always used. What I meant by saying that I disagreed with it was that in Math there are some theoretical concepts which make no sense rigorously – for instance, raising something to the zeroth power.

The following is true for exponents: x^b / x^c = x^(b-c).

Consider x=2, b=4, c=3. 2^4/2^3 = 2^1 = 2, which is correct, since 16/8 is 2. Now consider x=2, b=3, c=3. Then 2^3/2^3 = 2^0 = 1. So that raising something to the zeroth power should be 1 makes sense.

Math is nothing if not rigorous. You could say there are concepts in Math which do not make sense intuitively, but I don't see how you could say there are principles which do not make sense rigorously, since if they didn't make sense rigorously, they wouldn't be a part of Mathematics.

Quote:
What I was pointing out is that the probability theory is the mathematical study of randomness, so speaking of probability for events which are certain rigorously makes no sense.

This isn't what you were pointing out when you said this definition was sometimes used, but you disagreed with it. As I said, I looked at that post, and the previous posts, and there was nothing being said about randomness.

Quote:
But I don't remember what the importance was of discussing this at the time (I mean, this particular aspect of the discussion).

The general discussion had to do with foreknowledge, and my argument that:

1.Given that anything God is certain will happen will be certain to happen.
2.If God is certain something will happen, say X, then there is no risk that X will not happen.

You made some statements about probability which didn't make sense (I mean, that didn't make sense in terms of being incorrect), and that's how the discussion moved to those points.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #126951
08/26/10 08:52 PM
08/26/10 08:52 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Thomas
Assuming God takes risks, and further assuming that taking a risk involves a real possibility for failing, would you say that we have evidence that God did fail once or more or not at all?

God didn't take a risk that *He* would fail. The risk was that some creature He created might fail, and we have plenty of evidence that this happened.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #126952
08/26/10 09:06 PM
08/26/10 09:06 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:What are you disagreeing with?

R:At the time I disagreed with your describing as a random event the drawing of a blue marble from a hat where there were two blue marbles. That either marble could be chosen is not in question – what is in question is the color of the drawn marble, which is not random.

The color of a drawn marble is neither random nor not random. The event of drawing a marble is what may be random. It is a random event if there is an equal probability of drawing either of the marbles.

You perform a random event, and then ask questions about it. For example, what is the probability that the marble drawn is blue? (P=1) Or, what is the probability that the object you picked is a rabbit? (P=0). What question you ask has no bearing on whether or not the event was random.

Quote:
In the same way that if I do not live in the last generation, my probability of dying is 1. What randomness is there in this? None, of course.

This has nothing to do with randomness. This is neither random nor not random. Randomness has to do with selection.

Here's the definition of "random," in the context of our discussion:

Quote:
Having a likelihood of being selected that is not biased from any other item in the selectable area.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #126955
08/26/10 10:55 PM
08/26/10 10:55 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Consider x=2, b=4, c=3. 2^4/2^3 = 2^1 = 2, which is correct, since 16/8 is 2. Now consider x=2, b=3, c=3. Then 2^3/2^3 = 2^0 = 1. So that raising something to the zeroth power should be 1 makes sense.

To me a number multiplied by itself zero times (which means it wasn’t multiplied by anything) is still itself. But it had to be defined to be 1 just to keep the formulas a^m.a^n = a^(m+n), a^m/a^n = a^(m-n), and (a^m)^n = a^(m.n). It’s something artificial, just like classifying an event which is certain to occur or not occur as having a probability of 1 or 0 (as if it was a random event).

Quote:
Quote:
What I was pointing out is that the probability theory is the mathematical study of randomness, so speaking of probability for events which are certain rigorously makes no sense.

This isn't what you were pointing out when you said this definition was sometimes used, but you disagreed with it. As I said, I looked at that post, and the previous posts, and there was nothing being said about randomness.

Huh? This is precisely the argument I used in post #88407, where I said I disagreed with the concept.

Quote:
The color of a drawn marble is neither random nor not random. The event of drawing a marble is what may be random. It is a random event if there is an equal probability of drawing either of the marbles. ...
This [the fact that one’s probability of dying is 1] has nothing to do with randomness.

That’s precisely the point I was trying to make. Probability has to do with randomness. If an event is a certainty, why speak of it in terms of probabilities? But you know that, in case you have just one marble in a hat, and the marble is blue, Math says that the probability of drawing a blue marble from that hat is 1 (or 100%), or that the probability of drawing a yellow marble from the hat is 0; in the same way, it’s mathematically correct to say that the probability of a human being dying is 1 (or 100%).
This discussion, however, was a silly one, for it has little - if any - relevance for the topic at hand.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #126956
08/26/10 11:54 PM
08/26/10 11:54 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
T:Consider x=2, b=4, c=3. 2^4/2^3 = 2^1 = 2, which is correct, since 16/8 is 2. Now consider x=2, b=3, c=3. Then 2^3/2^3 = 2^0 = 1. So that raising something to the zeroth power should be 1 makes sense.

R:To me a number multiplied by itself zero times (which means it wasn’t multiplied by anything) is still itself.

This definition only makes sense for positive integers. But exponents can be any value.

Quote:
But it had to be defined to be 1 just to keep the formulas a^m.a^n = a^(m+n), a^m/a^n = a^(m-n), and (a^m)^n = a^(m.n).

This is sort of backwards. The formula is just a way of seeing that logically it has to be 1. The point your making about raising a number to the power of 0 could be made in regards to any number which is not a positive integer. Rather than being an "artificial" definition, it's the only definition which make sense mathematically. The example I gave was just one among many which could be given to illustrate this point.

Quote:
It’s something artificial, just like classifying an event which is certain to occur or not occur as having a probability of 1 or 0 (as if it was a random event).

This isn't artificial either. The definition of the probability of an event occurring is the number of favorable occurrences divided by the number of total occurrences (assuming random events). If none of the events are favorable, then the probability is 0; if all of them are it's 1. There's nothing artificial here; it's simply the definition of that the probability is. It's no more artificial if the probability is 0, 1, 1/2, or any other number between 0 and 1.

Quote:
R:What I was pointing out is that the probability theory is the mathematical study of randomness, so speaking of probability for events which are certain rigorously makes no sense.

T:This isn't what you were pointing out when you said this definition was sometimes used, but you disagreed with it. As I said, I looked at that post, and the previous posts, and there was nothing being said about randomness.

R:Huh? This is precisely the argument I used in post #88407, where I said I disagreed with the concept.

You wrote, "I simply disagree with your definition of probability." in post #88306. We weren't discussing random events in that post, or any posts near that one. It wasn't until #88407 that you brought up randomness.

Quote:
T:The color of a drawn marble is neither random nor not random. The event of drawing a marble is what may be random. It is a random event if there is an equal probability of drawing either of the marbles. ...
This [the fact that one’s probability of dying is 1] has nothing to do with randomness.

R:That’s precisely the point I was trying to make. Probability has to do with randomness.

Probability has to do with the chance that a given event will occur.

Quote:
If an event is a certainty, why speak of it in terms of probabilities?

For the same reason you would speak of it in terms of probabilities if it were any other number between (inclusive) 0 and 1. It's the number of favorable events divided by the number of possible outcomes.

Quote:
But you know that, in case you have just one marble in a hat, and the marble is blue, Math says that the probability of drawing a blue marble from that hat is 1 (or 100%), or that the probability of drawing a yellow marble from the hat is 0; in the same way, it’s mathematically correct to say that the probability of a human being dying is 1 (or 100%).

This isn't very precise.

Quote:
This discussion, however, was a silly one, for it has little - if any - relevance for the topic at hand.

It had relevance. For example, in the post where you disagreed with "my" definition of probability, you wrote:

Quote:
I simply disagree with your definition of probability. Knowing the outcome either before or after the event doesn’t change the probability index. Even if I knew beforehand that the woman mentioned in the article would get pregnant, I wouldn’t say her chance of getting pregnant was of 100%. I would say, “Her chance of getting pregnant is of less than 5%, but she will get pregnant.” All the factors will contribute for her 5% of chance to occur. In 20 months, she can get pregnant in 1, and this is the month in which she can get pregnant. 100% of chance would imply that in 20 months she can get pregnant in all of them, which is patently false. Saying that the probability was of 100% just because you know the outcome beforehand is using post hoc probability and, as you yourself said, is based on a fallacy of reasoning.

I would never say that Mary’s chance of getting pregnant without the participation of a male was of 100%, even if God had revealed to me in a dream that she would get pregnant. I would say that her chance of getting pregnant without the participation of a male was zero – that’s why what happened was a miracle.

In the same way, there was a chance for Christ to sin – that’s why there was a risk.

This is very germane to our discussion.

My argument has been the following:

1.If God is certain an event will occur, say X, then X is certain to occur.
2.If X is certain to occur, then there is no risk that it will not occur.

So if God was certain that Christ would not sin, there is no chance that Christ would sin, and God undertook no risk whatsoever in sending Him.

This is so clear and straightforward, I don't see where the scope for argument is.

Page 42 of 103 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!