HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,079 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 62 of 103 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127419
09/06/10 04:37 PM
09/06/10 04:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: I asked, "Do you think reading history means the people making choices in real time are deluded if they think they are free to choose as they please", to which you responded, "No ..." Do you also agree, then, that if God knows the future like history, that from His perspective it is no different than reading a history book? Ellen wrote … [quotes omitted by Tom]

T: If God knew the future like history, that would mean the future is like the past. This is what I'm disagreeing with. The past is fixed; the future is not. Regarding the EGW quote, God sees the future as clearly as He sees the past, but this doesn't mean the future is like the past. :

You are assuming there is nothing supernatural about God’s ability to know the future like history. The point I’m making is that God knows the future like history without upsetting the nature and essence of time and space and free will. You are assuming He cannot know the future like history without destroying time and space and free will.

Quote:
M: I realize you believe the insights stated above most likely means the Father and the Son are, regarding most things, uncertain how the future will play out …

T: What? No, this doesn't make sense.

M: … but for the life of me I don't know how she could have expressed my view more clearly.

T: She could have said that the future is fixed. She could have defined free will as the ability for to do as we please. She could have avoided statements which are contingent. She could have avoided saying that God, or Christ, took risks. She could have avoided saying that sin is a mystery. She could have avoided saying that God was in no way responsible for the entrance of sin. She could have avoided saying that Satan is the author of sin and all its results. She could have avoided saying that all heaven was imperiled for our redemption. There's all sorts of things she could have done. Just reading EGW's writings as a whole, they don't strike me at all as being deterministic. Our heritage is an Arminian one, not a Calvinistic one. Just speaking in terms of the tone of her writings, compared to how you write, you have a much more deterministic view of things than she does.

Again, the quotes I posted, the same ones Rosangela posted, make it very clear God knows the future like history. She could not have used language more clear. You seem to think we can overlook the obvious meaning of the words she used and interpret them to agree with your understanding of risk.

Quote:
M: Also, does the Bible represent the Father and/or the Son expressing doubt as to whether or not Jesus would succeed on the cross?

T: I responded to this in detail in a previous post, and have repeatedly asked you to respond to that post, and not just keep asking this same question as if I had not already answered it. Please do as I'm asking.

I responded to the idea that since the SOP uses the words “risk” and “peril” we are required to assume the Messianic prophecies must be interpreted to mean neither the Father nor the Son were certain Jesus would succeed. I disagree with this view. Please post passages from the Bible which clearly represent the Father and/or the Son expressing doubt about it. Also, please do not cite unrelated passages from which you glean a principle you think applies to the request at hand.

Quote:
M: And, do you agree that if God supernaturally knows the future like history that it wouldn't make any difference so far as how things play out in real time for FMAs? Or, do you think it would necessarily limit or eliminate freedom of choice?

T: I've explained this many times. The problem is a *logical* one. It's not one of causation. It's not that God's knowledge causes something to happen; nobody would assert this. This is obviously not the case. It's obvious there's no connection between one's knowledge and making someone else do something. This is not a point that needs to be made.

The logical contradiction is that if the future is fixed, then one cannot have free will from the libertarian perspective. Again, as I've explained just recently, if one uses the compatibilistic definition, which you used, in saying that we are free to do as we please, then there is no logical contradiction. The future can be fixed, and God can see the future like history, and we can have free will. There's no problem here.

However, if we assert that we can actually impact the future, that our decisions matter, in terms of altering the course of the future, that "free will" involves being able to effect either of 2+ options, *then* there's a logical contradiction.

I have never thought you were saying knowing the future like history forces people to make certain decisions. Just because God knows the future like history it does not mean the future is fixed in the sense people are not free to choose as they please. Since people are free to choose as they please there is no problem. It doesn’t matter that God already knows which choices they will make. The idea that this means the future is fixed and cannot play out differently is a non-issue. It means nothing.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127420
09/06/10 05:07 PM
09/06/10 05:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: No, MM, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that in regards to the fall, there are passage of two types; those which look to be contingent, and those which look to not be. In addition to these passages, of which there are both types, there are passages on other subjects, besides the fall, which are clearly not contingent. For example:

1.Christ could have come before now.
2.Christ risked all.
3.All heaven was imperiled for our redemption.

In addition, there are other passages dealing with the fall which make clear that it was contingent. For example:

5.God was in no way responsible for the entrance of sin.
6.Sin is a mystery which cannot be explained.

We'll add a 7th category, which has the too types:

7.Passages discussing the fall:
a.Passages which sound contingent.
b.Passages which don't sound contingent.

It looks to me that you are trying to lay hold of 7.b., while ignoring, or setting aside, 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7a.

I've also pointed out that there are moral problems involved with your view, which I don't think you've addressed. At least, if you have, I don't remember what you said. For example, if God set into motion a course of events in which sin was certain to occur, then He would be responsible for the entrance of sin. This is a moral problem. A good being wouldn't do something to make sin inevitable, with all the misery and suffering that results.

M:What is it about the language employed in the passages I posted that leads you to think they could be taken to mean the Father and the Son were uncertain Adam would fall or not?

T: I'm not considering only those passages. That's not how one studies things. For example, in Ex. 4 it says: “And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the LORD met him(Moses), and sought to kill him. (Ex. 4:24) Do we really think that God was seeking to kill Moses? There are many examples of this in Scripture, where if we just took one bit of Scripture, it appears to say something which we realize it's not really saying when we compare Scripture with Scripture. The same thing applies to the SOP. For example, to pick an example that will resonate with you, there are places in the SOP where it may appear to be saying that Christ had a sinless human nature, the nature of Adam before the fall. But if we consider all she wrote on the subject, we can understand these statements in a larger context.

You didn’t answer my question. The language employed in the quotes I posted is too clear to misunderstand. It doesn’t require interpretation. It speaks for itself. It leaves no doubt as to what she said about it. Saying we cannot take her at her word because you believe she taught something altogether different elsewhere is ignoring my question.

Quote:
M: Or, do you agree with me the passages clearly say the Father and the Son were absolutely certain Adam would fall?

T: That would contradict what she said elsewhere. You appear to be doing what I just said. You are laying hold of 7a, but ignoring 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7b. It's like the nature of Christ argument.

Again, her words are too plain to misunderstand.

Quote:
M: I don't think there is a moral problem with God deciding to create angels and humans even though He knew which ones would sin and die in the lake of fire.

T: It's not knowing which ones that's the problem, but that there are any at all. That is, He could have created angels and humans (given your point of view), without *any* dying. The moral problem is that He didn't do that, but preferred to create things in such a way that sin and death were inevitable.

You are trying to understand a “mystery” that God hasn’t clearly explained yet. He knew angels and humans would sin and rebel and die in the lake of fire and He chose to create them anyhow.

Quote:
M: Why do you think you're view is free of moral problems?

T: Because God created beings with free will, with the possibility of choosing sin, but didn't do anything to make this inevitable, or even likely.

There is absolutely no way angels and humans would have sinned and rebelled if God had chosen not to create them. As it is, according to your view, God knew there was a possibility they would sin and rebel and He chose to risk it.

Quote:
M: Your idea that God created angels and humans even though He knew there was a chance they might sin and rebel seems more morally problematic than my view.

T: Why? Love involves risk. It's not possible to create beings which can love without there being the possibility of rejection. That's the way love works. Surely the possibility of sin is less morally objectionable than the certainty of it. To suggest the reverse is the case seems absurd to me.

Your view portrays God hoping angels and humans wouldn’t sin and rebel and die in the lake of fire. It assumes He had no idea which angels and humans would sin and rebel and which ones would not. Such a God is impotent. My view portrays God making decisions based on fact. He didn’t do something hoping it wouldn’t go south. Taking such risks is reckless and cruel.

Quote:
M: Also, why can't I apply your logic regarding Nahum 1:9 to the Messianic prophecies? That is, why can't I believe God saw that none of the possible choices and outcomes involved Jesus sinning and failing?

T: From the SOP, we know that Christ "risked all." Also, "all heaven was imperiled." So this would contradict the idea that none of the possibilities which God (or Christ, because He was omniscient too) involved Christ's failing. If this were the case, there would be no risk.

You are basing your view on the SOP and not on the Bible. Please use the Bible to support your view. Where in the Bible does it say God wasn’t absolutely certain Jesus would succeed? Again, please do not cite unrelated passages from which you glean principles you think prove we must interpret the Messianic prophecies to mean God was uncertain Jesus would succeed.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127433
09/07/10 06:44 AM
09/07/10 06:44 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: I asked, "Do you think reading history means the people making choices in real time are deluded if they think they are free to choose as they please", to which you responded, "No ..." Do you also agree, then, that if God knows the future like history, that from His perspective it is no different than reading a history book? Ellen wrote … [quotes omitted by Tom]

T: If God knew the future like history, that would mean the future is like the past. This is what I'm disagreeing with. The past is fixed; the future is not. Regarding the EGW quote, God sees the future as clearly as He sees the past, but this doesn't mean the future is like the past. :

M:You are assuming there is nothing supernatural about God’s ability to know the future like history.

No, I'm not making this assumption.

Quote:
The point I’m making is that God knows the future like history without upsetting the nature and essence of time and space and free will.

This has never been the issue. No one is suggesting this. I'm pointed this out many times. I don't know why you keep repeating this.

Quote:
You are assuming He cannot know the future like history without destroying time and space and free will.

No, I'm not assuming this. I've been pointing out this isn't an issue. There's no need for me to assume what you're suggesting. It's not an issue.

Quote:

M: I realize you believe the insights stated above most likely means the Father and the Son are, regarding most things, uncertain how the future will play out …

M: … but for the life of me I don't know how she could have expressed my view more clearly.

T: She could have said that the future is fixed. She could have defined free will as the ability for to do as we please. She could have avoided statements which are contingent. She could have avoided saying that God, or Christ, took risks. She could have avoided saying that sin is a mystery. She could have avoided saying that God was in no way responsible for the entrance of sin. She could have avoided saying that Satan is the author of sin and all its results. She could have avoided saying that all heaven was imperiled for our redemption. There's all sorts of things she could have done. Just reading EGW's writings as a whole, they don't strike me at all as being deterministic. Our heritage is an Arminian one, not a Calvinistic one. Just speaking in terms of the tone of her writings, compared to how you write, you have a much more deterministic view of things than she does.

M:Again, the quotes I posted, the same ones Rosangela posted, make it very clear God knows the future like history.

There are many quotes that make it clear the future is not fixed.

Quote:
She could not have used language more clear.

You're just repeating yourself, so I'll repeat what I wrote:

Quote:
She could have said that the future is fixed. She could have defined free will as the ability for to do as we please. She could have avoided statements which are contingent. She could have avoided saying that God, or Christ, took risks. She could have avoided saying that sin is a mystery. She could have avoided saying that God was in no way responsible for the entrance of sin. She could have avoided saying that Satan is the author of sin and all its results. She could have avoided saying that all heaven was imperiled for our redemption. There's all sorts of things she could have done. Just reading EGW's writings as a whole, they don't strike me at all as being deterministic. Our heritage is an Arminian one, not a Calvinistic one. Just speaking in terms of the tone of her writings, compared to how you write, you have a much more deterministic view of things than she does.

You didn't address any of this. You just ignored it.

Quote:
You seem to think we can overlook the obvious meaning of the words she used and interpret them to agree with your understanding of risk.

My understanding of risk? Like I have a personal understanding of the word? You don't know what risk is?

What about "All heaven is imperiled." Do I have a private understanding of what "imperiled" means as well?

What about the moral issues involved in assuming that God set into motion a course of events that would have made sin inevitable? This would contradict the idea that sin is a mystery that can't be explained, or that God was in no way responsible for it.

What about the concept of free will that Adventists have traditionally held? I realize you conceive of "free will" as meaning that we're free to do what we please, but that's a restricted view, and not what Adventists usually mean by the term. It usually means able to choose from 2+ options.

Quote:

M: Also, does the Bible represent the Father and/or the Son expressing doubt as to whether or not Jesus would succeed on the cross?

T: I responded to this in detail in a previous post, and have repeatedly asked you to respond to that post, and not just keep asking this same question as if I had not already answered it. Please do as I'm asking.

M:I responded to the idea that since the SOP uses the words “risk” and “peril” we are required to assume the Messianic prophecies must be interpreted to mean neither the Father nor the Son were certain Jesus would succeed. I disagree with this view.

Ok, you disagree.

Quote:
Please post passages from the Bible which clearly represent the Father and/or the Son expressing doubt about it. Also, please do not cite unrelated passages from which you glean a principle you think applies to the request at hand.

I already addressed this in the previous post I alluded to.

Quote:

M: And, do you agree that if God supernaturally knows the future like history that it wouldn't make any difference so far as how things play out in real time for FMAs? Or, do you think it would necessarily limit or eliminate freedom of choice?

T: I've explained this many times. The problem is a *logical* one. It's not one of causation. It's not that God's knowledge causes something to happen; nobody would assert this. This is obviously not the case. It's obvious there's no connection between one's knowledge and making someone else do something. This is not a point that needs to be made.

The logical contradiction is that if the future is fixed, then one cannot have free will from the libertarian perspective. Again, as I've explained just recently, if one uses the compatibilistic definition, which you used, in saying that we are free to do as we please, then there is no logical contradiction. The future can be fixed, and God can see the future like history, and we can have free will. There's no problem here.

However, if we assert that we can actually impact the future, that our decisions matter, in terms of altering the course of the future, that "free will" involves being able to effect either of 2+ options, *then* there's a logical contradiction.

M:I have never thought you were saying knowing the future like history forces people to make certain decisions.

Good! Given this to be the case, I don't see why you keep making this point that because God knows the future it doesn't impact the choices they can make. This isn't an issue. You just said I'm not claiming this. So why keep repeating this?

Quote:
Just because God knows the future like history it does not mean the future is fixed in the sense people are not free to choose as they please.

I've addressed this point several times, just recently. I've explained that if you hold to this definition of "free will," the one that is not libertarian, the one that is not what Adventists ordinarily hold to, there isn't a logical contradiction.

Quote:
Since people are free to choose as they please there is no problem.

There is no problem if:

a.One doesn't care that one is not able to impact the future.
b.One doesn't care that one is merely living out a future which has already been determined.
c.One doesn't mind that God chose a future that would inevitably have sin.

Quote:
It doesn’t matter that God already knows which choices they will make. The idea that this means the future is fixed and cannot play out differently is a non-issue.

On the contrary! This *is* the issue!

Quote:
It means nothing.

It means everything.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127434
09/07/10 07:09 AM
09/07/10 07:09 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: No, MM, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that in regards to the fall, there are passage of two types; those which look to be contingent, and those which look to not be. In addition to these passages, of which there are both types, there are passages on other subjects, besides the fall, which are clearly not contingent. For example:

2.Christ risked all.

In addition, there are other passages dealing with the fall which make clear that it was contingent. For example:

It looks to me that you are trying to lay hold of 7.b., while ignoring, or setting aside, 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7a.

I've also pointed out that there are moral problems involved with your view, which I don't think you've addressed. At least, if you have, I don't remember what you said. For example, if God set into motion a course of events in which sin was certain to occur, then He would be responsible for the entrance of sin. This is a moral problem. A good being wouldn't do something to make sin inevitable, with all the misery and suffering that results.

M:What is it about the language employed in the passages I posted that leads you to think they could be taken to mean the Father and the Son were uncertain Adam would fall or not?

T: I'm not considering only those passages. That's not how one studies things. For example, in Ex. 4 it says: “And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the LORD met him(Moses), and sought to kill him. (Ex. 4:24) Do we really think that God was seeking to kill Moses? There are many examples of this in Scripture, where if we just took one bit of Scripture, it appears to say something which we realize it's not really saying when we compare Scripture with Scripture. The same thing applies to the SOP. For example, to pick an example that will resonate with you, there are places in the SOP where it may appear to be saying that Christ had a sinless human nature, the nature of Adam before the fall. But if we consider all she wrote on the subject, we can understand these statements in a larger context.

M:You didn’t answer my question.

You ask loaded questions, which force your readers to take in assumptions which you hold, and if they don't, then you accuse them of not answering your questions. This isn't fair. I don't have to hold to your assumptions. I don't need to answer the "Did you stop beating your wife" questions "yes" or "no."

What I'm doing is trying to see what you're really wanting to know, and addressing this, and I went into quite a bit of detail to do so.

Quote:
The language employed in the quotes I posted is too clear to misunderstand.

So is the language in 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7a. You're ignoring the clear language of 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7a to lay hold of 7b.

This sort of thing happens all the time in studying subjects in inspiration. For example, the State of the Dead in Scripture, or the human nature of Christ in the SOP. You can't just see one passage, or group of passages, which looks to be saying a certain thing, and then stop. You have to consider all the evidence to come to a right conclusion.

Quote:
It doesn’t require interpretation. It speaks for itself.

So does, "Christ risked all. For our benefit, all heaven was imperiled." Anyone can understand this.

Quote:
It leaves no doubt as to what she said about it. Saying we cannot take her at her word because you believe she taught something altogether different elsewhere is ignoring my question.

This is really unfair. I've never written things like "sin does not mean what it normally means" or such, in order to hold to a viewpoint I've held. You've written these things repeatedly.

I'm not accusing you of "not taking her at her word." You're resorting to what is essentially name calling rather than considering the arguments I'm presenting.

I'm not accusing you of the things you're accusing me of, and you're far more open to such accusations than I am.

Please stick to the issues and stop with the accusations.

Quote:

M: Or, do you agree with me the passages clearly say the Father and the Son were absolutely certain Adam would fall?

T: That would contradict what she said elsewhere. You appear to be doing what I just said. You are laying hold of 7a, but ignoring 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7b. It's like the nature of Christ argument.

M:Again, her words are too plain to misunderstand.

This is just ignoring what I'm saying.

Quote:

M: I don't think there is a moral problem with God deciding to create angels and humans even though He knew which ones would sin and die in the lake of fire.

T: It's not knowing which ones that's the problem, but that there are any at all. That is, He could have created angels and humans (given your point of view), without *any* dying. The moral problem is that He didn't do that, but preferred to create things in such a way that sin and death were inevitable.

M:You are trying to understand a “mystery” that God hasn’t clearly explained yet.

I'm pointing out that if your viewpoint were correct, there would be no mystery. Therefore the viewpoint must be incorrect, because why sin came about *is* a mystery. If God set into motion a course of events to make sin inevitable, there's no mystery there.

Quote:
He knew angels and humans would sin and rebel and die in the lake of fire and He chose to create them anyhow.

Why would He do that? Why would God prefer sin and death to obedience and life?

Quote:

T: Because God created beings with free will, with the possibility of choosing sin, but didn't do anything to make this inevitable, or even likely.

M:There is absolutely no way angels and humans would have sinned and rebelled if God had chosen not to create them.

Creating creatures that can love and be loved necessitates risk.

Quote:
As it is, according to your view, God knew there was a possibility they would sin and rebel and He chose to risk it.

Love entails risk.

Quote:

M: Your idea that God created angels and humans even though He knew there was a chance they might sin and rebel seems more morally problematic than my view.

T: Why? Love involves risk. It's not possible to create beings which can love without there being the possibility of rejection. That's the way love works. Surely the possibility of sin is less morally objectionable than the certainty of it. To suggest the reverse is the case seems absurd to me.

M:Your view portrays God hoping angels and humans wouldn’t sin and rebel and die in the lake of fire.

When one loves, one hopes the love is returned. But love entails risk. It might not be.

Quote:
It assumes He had no idea which angels and humans would sin and rebel and which ones would not. Such a God is impotent.

This is a personal idea you hold, for personal reasons, which I don't know what they are. Maybe you feel things must be controlled in order to have power. I don't know. But this is just a personal opinion, and one I disagree with. One does not need to control things to have power.

Quote:
My view portrays God making decisions based on fact. He didn’t do something hoping it wouldn’t go south. Taking such risks is reckless and cruel.

Love entails risk. God created beings with the possibility that they might choose not to love in return. I don't understand why you would think this is a worse idea than the idea that God purposely created a world in which sin would be inevitable. Would you do such a thing? You would choose to have a child, wouldn't you, even though the child might choose to be evil. Why would you think ill of God for doing the same thing? But would you have a child if you *knew* it would a Hitler or Stalin? Assuming no, why do you think God would do something equivalent? Why do you find fault with God for taking actions that you yourself wouldn't take, while not finding fault with Him for actions you would take?

Quote:

M: Also, why can't I apply your logic regarding Nahum 1:9 to the Messianic prophecies? That is, why can't I believe God saw that none of the possible choices and outcomes involved Jesus sinning and failing?

T: From the SOP, we know that Christ "risked all." Also, "all heaven was imperiled." So this would contradict the idea that none of the possibilities which God (or Christ, because He was omniscient too) involved Christ's failing. If this were the case, there would be no risk.

M:You are basing your view on the SOP and not on the Bible. Please use the Bible to support your view.

I've said many times I'm happy to discuss this subject purely on the basis of Scripture. Just start a thread, and we'll have this discussion on the basis of Scripture alone.

Quote:
Where in the Bible does it say God wasn’t absolutely certain Jesus would succeed? Again, please do not cite unrelated passages from which you glean principles you think prove we must interpret the Messianic prophecies to mean God was uncertain Jesus would succeed.

Where in the Bible does it say God was absolutely certain Jesus would succeed? Please don't cite any passages which require thinking or reasoning. I'm looking for something which says, "God was absolutely certain God would succeed."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127465
09/08/10 08:41 PM
09/08/10 08:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:

M:You are assuming there is nothing supernatural about God’s ability to know the future like history.

No, I'm not making this assumption.

Quote:
The point I’m making is that God knows the future like history without upsetting the nature and essence of time and space and free will.

This has never been the issue. No one is suggesting this. I'm pointed this out many times. I don't know why you keep repeating this.

Quote:
You are assuming He cannot know the future like history without destroying time and space and free will.

No, I'm not assuming this. I've been pointing out this isn't an issue. There's no need for me to assume what you're suggesting. It's not an issue.

Quote:

M:Again, the quotes I posted, the same ones Rosangela posted, make it very clear God knows the future like history.

There are many quotes that make it clear the future is not fixed.

Do you think my view (God knows the future like history) mean the future is fixed, is single-threaded? If so, please explain why?

M: She could not have used language more clear.

T: You're just repeating yourself, so I'll repeat what I wrote: She could have said that the future is fixed. She could have defined free will as the ability for to do as we please. She could have avoided statements which are contingent. She could have avoided saying that God, or Christ, took risks. She could have avoided saying that sin is a mystery. She could have avoided saying that God was in no way responsible for the entrance of sin. She could have avoided saying that Satan is the author of sin and all its results. She could have avoided saying that all heaven was imperiled for our redemption. There's all sorts of things she could have done. Just reading EGW's writings as a whole, they don't strike me at all as being deterministic. Our heritage is an Arminian one, not a Calvinistic one. Just speaking in terms of the tone of her writings, compared to how you write, you have a much more deterministic view of things than she does.

You didn't address any of this. You just ignored it.

She also could have said, Neither the Father nor the Son were absolutely certain Jesus would succeed. But she never said such a thing. That’s a significant point.

Quote:
M: You seem to think we can overlook the obvious meaning of the words she used and interpret them to agree with your understanding of risk.

T: My understanding of risk? Like I have a personal understanding of the word? You don't know what risk is? What about "All heaven is imperiled." Do I have a private understanding of what "imperiled" means as well? What about the moral issues involved in assuming that God set into motion a course of events that would have made sin inevitable? This would contradict the idea that sin is a mystery that can't be explained, or that God was in no way responsible for it. What about the concept of free will that Adventists have traditionally held? I realize you conceive of "free will" as meaning that we're free to do what we please, but that's a restricted view, and not what Adventists usually mean by the term. It usually means able to choose from 2+ options.

It seems to me you are overlooking the obvious meaning of the words she used. There is absolutely nothing unclear about the words she used. I’m referring to the passages Rosangela and I posted.

If you are saying her use of the words “risk” and “peril” must be interpreted to mean neither the Father nor the Son were absolutely certain angels and humans would sin and rebel, then, yes, I believe you are assuming too much. The same thing is true regarding the Father and the Son and whether or not they knew Jesus would succeed.

Quote:

M:I responded to the idea that since the SOP uses the words “risk” and “peril” we are required to assume the Messianic prophecies must be interpreted to mean neither the Father nor the Son were certain Jesus would succeed. I disagree with this view.

T: Ok, you disagree.

Was that what you wanted me to respond to? If so, it doesn’t address my question. You still haven’t posted passages from the Bible that plainly portray the Father or the Son expressing doubt about it.

Quote:

M: I have never thought you were saying knowing the future like history forces people to make certain decisions.

T: Good! Given this to be the case, I don't see why you keep making this point that because God knows the future it doesn't impact the choices they can make. This isn't an issue. You just said I'm not claiming this. So why keep repeating this?

M: Just because God knows the future like history it does not mean the future is fixed in the sense people are not free to choose as they please.

T: I've addressed this point several times, just recently. I've explained that if you hold to this definition of "free will," the one that is not libertarian, the one that is not what Adventists ordinarily hold to, there isn't a logical contradiction.

M: Since people are free to choose as they please there is no problem.

T: There is no problem if:

a.One doesn't care that one is not able to impact the future.
b.One doesn't care that one is merely living out a future which has already been determined.
c.One doesn't mind that God chose a future that would inevitably have sin.

M: It doesn’t matter that God already knows which choices they will make. The idea that this means the future is fixed and cannot play out differently is a non-issue.

T: On the contrary! This *is* the issue!

M: It means nothing.

T: It means everything.

Again, I don’t think you understand the significance of my view. The future is not fixed or single-threaded. We are free to choose as we please. The future is totally dependent upon the choices we make and the way God manages the consequences. True, God knows the choices we will make and the way He will manage the consequences, but none of this means we are not free to choose as we please or that we cannot impact the future. Everything we think, say, and do impacts today and the future. The idea that we are not free if we cannot make choices that would result in outcomes different than what God knows assumes He cannot know the future like history (we both agree knowing history does not limit or eliminate free will, nor does it mean that they cannot make choices that would result in outcomes different than what history records).

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127468
09/08/10 11:16 PM
09/08/10 11:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

2.Christ risked all.

T: You ask loaded questions, which force your readers to take in assumptions which you hold, and if they don't, then you accuse them of not answering your questions. This isn't fair. I don't have to hold to your assumptions. I don't need to answer the "Did you stop beating your wife" questions "yes" or "no." What I'm doing is trying to see what you're really wanting to know, and addressing this, and I went into quite a bit of detail to do so.

M: The language employed in the quotes I posted is too clear to misunderstand.

T: So is the language in 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7a. You're ignoring the clear language of 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7a to lay hold of 7b. This sort of thing happens all the time in studying subjects in inspiration. For example, the State of the Dead in Scripture, or the human nature of Christ in the SOP. You can't just see one passage, or group of passages, which looks to be saying a certain thing, and then stop. You have to consider all the evidence to come to a right conclusion.

M: It doesn’t require interpretation. It speaks for itself.

T: So does, "Christ risked all. For our benefit, all heaven was imperiled." Anyone can understand this.

M: It leaves no doubt as to what she said about it. Saying we cannot take her at her word because you believe she taught something altogether different elsewhere is ignoring my question.

T: This is really unfair. I've never written things like "sin does not mean what it normally means" or such, in order to hold to a viewpoint I've held. You've written these things repeatedly. I'm not accusing you of "not taking her at her word." You're resorting to what is essentially name calling rather than considering the arguments I'm presenting. I'm not accusing you of the things you're accusing me of, and you're far more open to such accusations than I am. Please stick to the issues and stop with the accusations.

T: This is just ignoring what I'm saying.

I realize you believe we must interpret her words to mean neither the Father nor the Son knew with absolutely certainty angels and humans would sin and rebel and die in the lake of fire, nor did they know Jesus would definitely succeed. You seem to think we must take unclear, ambiguous statements and force them to mean we cannot take clear, unambiguous statements at face value. Shouldn’t it be the other way around; for example, shouldn’t we assume the unclear, ambiguous statements agree with the clear, unambiguous ones?

Quote:

M:You are trying to understand a “mystery” that God hasn’t clearly explained yet.

T: I'm pointing out that if your viewpoint were correct, there would be no mystery. Therefore the viewpoint must be incorrect, because why sin came about *is* a mystery. If God set into motion a course of events to make sin inevitable, there's no mystery there.

Why Lucifer sinned and rebelled is a mystery. How he sinned and rebelled is not. Nothing I’ve said contradicts these facts.

Quote:
M: He knew angels and humans would sin and rebel and die in the lake of fire and He chose to create them anyhow.

T: Why would He do that? Why would God prefer sin and death to obedience and life?

He didn’t prefer it. Why He chose to hasn’t been perfectly explained yet. He probably won’t explain it perfectly until after we’re in heaven.

Quote:

M:There is absolutely no way angels and humans would have sinned and rebelled if God had chosen not to create them.

T: Creating creatures that can love and be loved necessitates risk.

M: As it is, according to your view, God knew there was a possibility they would sin and rebel and He chose to risk it.

T: Love entails risk.

M:Your view portrays God hoping angels and humans wouldn’t sin and rebel and die in the lake of fire.

T: When one loves, one hopes the love is returned. But love entails risk. It might not be.

M: It assumes He had no idea which angels and humans would sin and rebel and which ones would not. Such a God is impotent.

T: This is a personal idea you hold, for personal reasons, which I don't know what they are. Maybe you feel things must be controlled in order to have power. I don't know. But this is just a personal opinion, and one I disagree with. One does not need to control things to have power.

When someone possesses the kind of powers God does it is imperative that He be in control. Love is not blind or ignorant. Agape love is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent. It does not take risks. It doesn’t need to. Again, nothing you’ve said proves neither the Father nor the Son were uncertain what Lucifer, Adam, and Jesus would do.

Quote:
M: My view portrays God making decisions based on fact. He didn’t do something hoping it wouldn’t go south. Taking such risks is reckless and cruel.

T: Love entails risk. God created beings with the possibility that they might choose not to love in return. I don't understand why you would think this is a worse idea than the idea that God purposely created a world in which sin would be inevitable. Would you do such a thing? You would choose to have a child, wouldn't you, even though the child might choose to be evil. Why would you think ill of God for doing the same thing? But would you have a child if you *knew* it would a Hitler or Stalin? Assuming no, why do you think God would do something equivalent? Why do you find fault with God for taking actions that you yourself wouldn't take, while not finding fault with Him for actions you would take?

You are assuming God and I are equals. You cannot understand God by understanding me or any other human. You are assuming God chose to create angels and humans hoping they wouldn’t sin and rebel and die in the lake of fire all the while knowing there was a chance they would.

Quote:

M:You are basing your view on the SOP and not on the Bible. Please use the Bible to support your view.

T: I've said many times I'm happy to discuss this subject purely on the basis of Scripture. Just start a thread, and we'll have this discussion on the basis of Scripture alone.

Why a new thread? I’ve been requesting it from the beginning of this thread. Besides, I believe you are misapplying what she wrote about risk and peril and arriving at unwarranted conclusions. Nothing she wrote can be construed to mean the Father and the Son were uncertain Jesus would succeed.

Quote:
M: Where in the Bible does it say God wasn’t absolutely certain Jesus would succeed? Again, please do not cite unrelated passages from which you glean principles you think prove we must interpret the Messianic prophecies to mean God was uncertain Jesus would succeed.

T: Where in the Bible does it say God was absolutely certain Jesus would succeed? Please don't cite any passages which require thinking or reasoning. I'm looking for something which says, "God was absolutely certain God would succeed."

You didn’t answer my question. To answer your question, Jesus said, “… the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.” Jesus also said:

John
3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Do you agree with me that Jesus is stating in no uncertain terms He will definitely succeed? Or, do you think these words obviously imply the possibility of failure?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127475
09/09/10 04:06 AM
09/09/10 04:06 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Do you think my view (God knows the future like history) mean the future is fixed, is single-threaded? If so, please explain why?

Of course! You believe God sees the future like history, like a re-run. These things are fixed, single-threaded.

T:You didn't address any of this. You just ignored it.

MM:She also could have said, Neither the Father nor the Son were absolutely certain Jesus would succeed. But she never said such a thing. That’s a significant point.

No, this isn't significant, just like other things she didn't say aren't significant. You ignored what I wrote again.

T: My understanding of risk? Like I have a personal understanding of the word? You don't know what risk is? What about "All heaven is imperiled." Do I have a private understanding of what "imperiled" means as well? What about the moral issues involved in assuming that God set into motion a course of events that would have made sin inevitable? This would contradict the idea that sin is a mystery that can't be explained, or that God was in no way responsible for it. What about the concept of free will that Adventists have traditionally held? I realize you conceive of "free will" as meaning that we're free to do what we please, but that's a restricted view, and not what Adventists usually mean by the term. It usually means able to choose from 2+ options.

M:It seems to me you are overlooking the obvious meaning of the words she used.

"Risk"? "Imperiled"? No, I'm not overlooking the obvious meaning of these words.

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing unclear about the words she used. I’m referring to the passages Rosangela and I posted.

That's not what I was talking about. Look at what you're responding to. Anyway, what words do you think I'm overlooking?

Quote:
If you are saying her use of the words “risk” and “peril” must be interpreted to mean neither the Father nor the Son were absolutely certain angels and humans would sin and rebel, then, yes, I believe you are assuming too much.

I'm saying "risk" should be understood to mean what it means, which any dictionary will tell you (i.e. "chance of loss") And the same for "imperiled."

Quote:
The same thing is true regarding the Father and the Son and whether or not they knew Jesus would succeed.

What thing?

Quote:

M:Was that what you wanted me to respond to? If so, it doesn’t address my question. You still haven’t posted passages from the Bible that plainly portray the Father or the Son expressing doubt about it.

I said I responded to this in a previous post, and asked you to respond to that post, and to please not repeat the question as if I had not addressed that. These are two things:

1.Respond to the previous post.
2.Don't repeat the question as if I hadn't answered this.

Instead of doing the two things I asked, you:

1.Did not respond to the previous post.
2.Repeated the question.

I repeat my requests.

Quote:
Again, I don’t think you understand the significance of my view.

I've always understood it. For years I've understood it.

Quote:
The future is not fixed or single-threaded.

I agree. This is why your view is incorrect. It logically contradicts this idea. I don't think you understand the significance of the view you hold! smile

Quote:
We are free to choose as we please.

This is the compatibilistic idea of free will. Single-threaded. Fixed. I explained this.

Quote:
The future is totally dependent upon the choices we make and the way God manages the consequences.

This is multi-threaded, open.

Quote:
True, God knows the choices we will make and the way He will manage the consequences,

This is single-threaded, fixed.

Quote:
but none of this means we are not free to choose as we please

Also single-threaded, fixed.

Quote:
or that we cannot impact the future.

Multi-threaded. Clearly if God can write out in a book what you are going to do, and that's certain to happen, nothing you can do can change that. To say you can impact the future, given God can write out what you will do in a book things you are certain to do, is not reasoning from cause to effect. If what you are going to do is already written down in a book, then you can't impact what's already been written down. That is, if you can't make what's written down be incorrect, then you can't impact the future. These things have a one to one correspondence.

Quote:
Everything we think, say, and do impacts today and the future.

This is true, and why it cannot be seen like history, and written down in a book as something certain to happen.

Quote:
The idea that we are not free if we cannot make choices that would result in outcomes different than what God knows assumes He cannot know the future like history

Of course, because these are mutually exclusive! On part of the sentence is the future-is-single-threaded idea, and on the other part of the sentence it's the future-is-multi-threaded. Which is it? It can't be both.

Quote:
(we both agree knowing history does not limit or eliminate free will,

It depends upon how you define free will. It's not that the knowledge limits anything, but there's possibly a logical contradiction.

Quote:
nor does it mean that they cannot make choices that would result in outcomes different than what history records).

This doesn't make sense. What's past is prologue.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127476
09/09/10 04:22 AM
09/09/10 04:22 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas

2.Christ risked all.

T: You ask loaded questions, which force your readers to take in assumptions which you hold, and if they don't, then you accuse them of not answering your questions. This isn't fair. I don't have to hold to your assumptions. I don't need to answer the "Did you stop beating your wife" questions "yes" or "no." What I'm doing is trying to see what you're really wanting to know, and addressing this, and I went into quite a bit of detail to do so.

M: The language employed in the quotes I posted is too clear to misunderstand.

T: So is the language in 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7a. You're ignoring the clear language of 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7a to lay hold of 7b. This sort of thing happens all the time in studying subjects in inspiration. For example, the State of the Dead in Scripture, or the human nature of Christ in the SOP. You can't just see one passage, or group of passages, which looks to be saying a certain thing, and then stop. You have to consider all the evidence to come to a right conclusion.

M: It doesn’t require interpretation. It speaks for itself.

T: So does, "Christ risked all. For our benefit, all heaven was imperiled." Anyone can understand this.

M: It leaves no doubt as to what she said about it. Saying we cannot take her at her word because you believe she taught something altogether different elsewhere is ignoring my question.

T: This is really unfair. I've never written things like "sin does not mean what it normally means" or such, in order to hold to a viewpoint I've held. You've written these things repeatedly. I'm not accusing you of "not taking her at her word." You're resorting to what is essentially name calling rather than considering the arguments I'm presenting. I'm not accusing you of the things you're accusing me of, and you're far more open to such accusations than I am. Please stick to the issues and stop with the accusations.

T: This is just ignoring what I'm saying.

M:I realize you believe we must interpret her words to mean neither the Father nor the Son knew with absolutely certainty angels and humans would sin and rebel and die in the lake of fire, nor did they know Jesus would definitely succeed.[/quote]

If "Christ risked all," then Christ could not have been certain that He wasn't risking anything, could He? Under your view, what sense does it make to say "heaven was imperiled."? That doesn't make any sense under you view. If God was always certain that heaven was not in any danger, nor ever would be in any danger, then it could not be right to say it was "imperiled."

What does "all heaven was imperiled" mean to you? What could have happened to have caused heaven to be lost?

Quote:
You seem to think we must take unclear, ambiguous statements and force them to mean we cannot take clear, unambiguous statements at face value.

What? "Christ risked all." "All heaven was imperiled" is "unclear," "ambiguous"? No! It's not! Not at all! Anyone can read these statements and understand what they mean.

Quote:
Shouldn’t it be the other way around;

Yes!!! That's what I've been saying!! 7b should not be made to throw out 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7a.

Quote:
for example, shouldn’t we assume the unclear, ambiguous statements agree with the clear, unambiguous ones?

Yes! Of course! 7b should agree with 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7a.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127477
09/09/10 04:58 AM
09/09/10 04:58 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

T: I'm pointing out that if your viewpoint were correct, there would be no mystery. Therefore the viewpoint must be incorrect, because why sin came about *is* a mystery. If God set into motion a course of events to make sin inevitable, there's no mystery there.

M:Why Lucifer sinned and rebelled is a mystery.

But that's not the mystery!

Quote:
It is impossible to explain the origin of sin so as to give a reason for its existence....Nothing is more plainly taught in Scripture than that God was in no wise responsible for the entrance of sin ... Sin is an intruder, for whose presence no reason can be given. It is mysterious, unaccountable; to excuse it is to defend it. Could excuse for it be found, or cause be shown for its existence, it would cease to be sin.(GC 492)

Note the following:
1.It is impossible to explain the origin of sin so as to give a reason for its existence.
2.Nothing is more plainly taught in Scripture than that God was in no wise responsible for the entrance of sin.
3. Could excuse for it be found, or cause be shown for its existence, it would cease to be sin.

Your view falls short on each of these. If God set into motion events that made sin inevitable, then it's simplicity itself to give a reason for the existence of sin. Similarly if God made sin inevitable, it would be an error to say that God was "in no wise responsible for the entrance of sin." Also cause, under your view, can be shown for the existence of sin: God set into motion a course of events which made sin inevitable.

You've said yourself that sin was inevitable. I don't understand how you don't perceive this idea to be logically contradictory to the quote above. If no reason can be given for the existence of sin, it certainly can't be the case that it was inevitable, and if *God* made sin certain to happen, it certainly can't be said that God was "in no wise responsible" for it.

Quote:
How he sinned and rebelled is not. Nothing I’ve said contradicts these facts.

These facts aren't the problem, though.

Quote:
M: He knew angels and humans would sin and rebel and die in the lake of fire and He chose to create them anyhow.

T: Why would He do that? Why would God prefer sin and death to obedience and life?

M:He didn’t prefer it.

Clearly He did (under your view). If He didn't, He would have created some other being, instead of Lucifer, that wasn't certain to sin.

Quote:
Why He chose to hasn’t been perfectly explained yet.

Sure it has.

Quote:
He probably won’t explain it perfectly until after we’re in heaven.

It's already been explained. God created beings to love and be loved. Love entails risk.

When someone possesses the kind of powers God does it is imperative that He be in control.

God ceded control when He created sentient beings. It is precisely because God is NOT in control that this world is as it is.

Quote:
Love is not blind or ignorant. Agape love is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent. It does not take risks.

"Remember Christ risked all." Since "Christ is agape," here was have as clear a contradiction as is possible.

Quote:
It doesn’t need to.

Sure it does. Surely you've loved someone. Wasn't there risk involved? Anytime we choose to love someone, that person may choose not to love us back.

Quote:
Again, nothing you’ve said proves neither the Father nor the Son were uncertain what Lucifer, Adam, and Jesus would do.

If one doesn't use reason or logic.

Quote:
T: Love entails risk. God created beings with the possibility that they might choose not to love in return. I don't understand why you would think this is a worse idea than the idea that God purposely created a world in which sin would be inevitable. Would you do such a thing? You would choose to have a child, wouldn't you, even though the child might choose to be evil. Why would you think ill of God for doing the same thing? But would you have a child if you *knew* it would a Hitler or Stalin? Assuming no, why do you think God would do something equivalent? Why do you find fault with God for taking actions that you yourself wouldn't take, while not finding fault with Him for actions you would take?

M:You are assuming God and I are equals.

No! To the contrary! I'm assuming God is better than you are. That's why having Him act worse than you would is not reasonable.

Quote:
You cannot understand God by understanding me or any other human.

Yes, but I can assume He is more moral than you are. When you have Him acting less morally than you would, that's a problem.

Quote:
You are assuming God chose to create angels and humans hoping they wouldn’t sin and rebel and die in the lake of fire all the while knowing there was a chance they would.

I'm *concluding* this, not "assuming" it.

Quote:
T: I've said many times I'm happy to discuss this subject purely on the basis of Scripture. Just start a thread, and we'll have this discussion on the basis of Scripture alone.

M:Why a new thread?

So you can make up your mind! Do you want to discuss things without the SOP or not? If yes, then start a new thread. If no, then don't find fault with me for use the SOP to prove my point.

Quote:
I’ve been requesting it from the beginning of this thread.

I'm sure you've quoted far, far more from the SOP than from Scripture. Probably over 10 times more. This isn't being consistent.

Quote:
Besides, I believe you are misapplying what she wrote about risk and peril and arriving at unwarranted conclusions.

You're constrained to do so to hold your view.

Quote:
Nothing she wrote can be construed to mean the Father and the Son were uncertain Jesus would succeed.

Sure it can! Anyone understand what "Christ risked all" means. Similarly "all heaven was imperiled."

Simply logic tells us that if:

1.God was certain Christ would succeed. AND
2.Every thing that God is certain will happen does indeed happen THEN
3.Christ risked nothing (remember Christ was as omniscient as God).

Quote:
M: Where in the Bible does it say God wasn’t absolutely certain Jesus would succeed? Again, please do not cite unrelated passages from which you glean principles you think prove we must interpret the Messianic prophecies to mean God was uncertain Jesus would succeed.

T: Where in the Bible does it say God was absolutely certain Jesus would succeed? Please don't cite any passages which require thinking or reasoning. I'm looking for something which says, "God was absolutely certain God would succeed."

Yes I did! I answered it in detail, and asked you to respond to the post where I did so.

Quote:
To answer your question, Jesus said, “… the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.” Jesus also said:

John
3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Ok. But I didn't ask this. I asked:

Quote:
Where in the Bible does it say God wasn’t absolutely certain Jesus would succeed? Again, please do not cite unrelated passages from which you glean principles you think prove we must interpret the Messianic prophecies to mean God was uncertain Jesus would succeed.

You didn't produce such a statement.

Quote:

Do you agree with me that Jesus is stating in no uncertain terms He will definitely succeed? Or, do you think these words obviously imply the possibility of failure?

I think you didn't produce the statement I asked for.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127497
09/09/10 07:08 PM
09/09/10 07:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
M: If you are saying her use of the words “risk” and “peril” must be interpreted to mean neither the Father nor the Son were absolutely certain angels and humans would sin and rebel, then, yes, I believe you are assuming too much.

T: I'm saying "risk" should be understood to mean what it means, which any dictionary will tell you (i.e. "chance of loss") And the same for "imperiled."

M: I realize you believe we must interpret her words to mean neither the Father nor the Son knew with absolutely certainty angels and humans would sin and rebel and die in the lake of fire, nor did they know Jesus would definitely succeed.

T: If "Christ risked all," then Christ could not have been certain that He wasn't risking anything, could He? Under your view, what sense does it make to say "heaven was imperiled."? That doesn't make any sense under you view. If God was always certain that heaven was not in any danger, nor ever would be in any danger, then it could not be right to say it was "imperiled." What does "all heaven was imperiled" mean to you? What could have happened to have caused heaven to be lost?

M: You seem to think we must take unclear, ambiguous statements and force them to mean we cannot take clear, unambiguous statements at face value.

T: What? "Christ risked all." "All heaven was imperiled" is "unclear," "ambiguous"? No! It's not! Not at all! Anyone can read these statements and understand what they mean.

It can also mean facing real danger, which, indeed, Jesus faced real dangers. However, you haven’t addressed my main concern, namely, do you believe her use of “risk” and “peril” means we must interpret everything else she wrote to agree with your view (i.e. neither the Father nor the Son were absolutely certain Lucifer, Adam, and Jesus would succeed or fail)?

Quote:

M: I responded to the idea that since the SOP uses the words “risk” and “peril” we are required to assume the Messianic prophecies must be interpreted to mean neither the Father nor the Son were certain Jesus would succeed. I disagree with this view.

Was that what you wanted me to respond to? If not, please repeat what it is you want me to respond to as it relates to the dreaded question (i.e. where in the Bible does it plainly portray the Father or the Son expressing doubt about it).

Quote:
M: The idea that we are not free if we cannot make choices that would result in outcomes different than what God knows assumes He cannot know the future like history (we both agree knowing history does not limit or eliminate free will, nor does it mean that they cannot make choices that would result in outcomes different than what history records).

T: Of course, because these are mutually exclusive! One part of the sentence is the future-is-single-threaded idea, and one the other part of the sentence it's the future-is-multi-threaded. Which is it? It can't be both.

Yes it can be both. We’re talking about God. He possesses the supernatural ability to know the future like history without upsetting how things are and how things play out in real time. You wrote:

Quote:
T: Clearly if God can write out in a book what you are going to do, and that's certain to happen, nothing you can do can change that. To say you can impact the future, given God can write out what you will do in a book things you are certain to do, is not reasoning from cause to effect. If what you are going to do is already written down in a book, then you can't impact what's already been written down. That is, if you can't make what's written down be incorrect, then you can't impact the future. These things have a one to one correspondence.

You keep referring to God in terms of how things “will” play out rather than in terms of how things have played out. God knowing the future like history has no more effect on how things play out in real time than someone reading a history book effects how things played out in real time. Again, we’re talking about God, so the rules are different. That is, God can know the future like history without upsetting the natural order of things. The choices people make in real time are the result of unlimited, unrestricted free will. The fact God knows the future like history in no way means they were unable or incapable of making decisions resulting in outcomes different than what God saw. Why? Because from God’s point of view, which includes 20/20 hindsight, He knows the facts after the fact, like watching a rerun. Thus, it is no different than someone reading a history book. “I AM means an eternal presence; the past, present, and future are alike with God. He sees the most remote events of past history and the far distant future with as clear a vision as we do those things which are transpiring daily.” {TMK 12.2} “He sees the end from the beginning. He knows all things. Past, present and future are all clear to Him.” {MR926 34.1}

Quote:
M: Nothing she wrote can be construed to mean the Father and the Son were uncertain Jesus would succeed.

T: Sure it can! Anyone understand what "Christ risked all" means. Similarly "all heaven was imperiled." Simply logic tells us that if:

1.God was certain Christ would succeed. AND
2.Every thing that God is certain will happen does indeed happen THEN
3.Christ risked nothing (remember Christ was as omniscient as God).

You are taking two unrelated points and arriving at a conclusion that isn’t plainly stated in the Bible or the SOP. The fact you cannot find a quote that clearly portrays the Father or the Son expressing uncertainty about it speaks eloquently against your view. Regarding doubt, Ellen wrote:

Quote:
Many concluded that He dared not assert His claims because He Himself doubted as to the divine character of His mission. Thus they opened their hearts to unbelief, and the seed which Satan had sown bore fruit of its kind, in misunderstanding and defection. {DA 385.3}

Many others who had been convicted by the preaching of John the Baptist, and had accepted Christ, began to doubt as to John's mission when he was imprisoned and put to death; and they now doubted that Jesus was the Messiah, for whom they had looked so long. {DA 411.5}

They had expected that Jesus would reign a temporal Prince, but their hopes died with Him. In their sorrow and disappointment, they doubted whether He had not deceived them. Even His mother wavered in her faith in Him as the Messiah. {EW 179.4}

both the Father and the Son believed, without a doubt, that Jesus would succeed. We read:

Quote:
John
12:23 And Jesus answered them, saying, The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified.
12:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.
12:25 He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.
12:26 If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will [my] Father honour.
12:27 Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.
12:28 Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, [saying], I have both glorified [it], and will glorify [it] again.
12:29 The people therefore, that stood by, and heard [it], said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him.
12:30 Jesus answered and said, This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes.
12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.
12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all [men] unto me.
12:33 This he said, signifying what death he should die.

By the way, do you agree with me that unfallen beings were absolutely certain Jesus would succeed? If not, please post passages that portray them fretting or fearing Jesus would fail. Nowhere in the Bible or the SOP does it portray them feeling at risk or imperiled. Why do you think they never felt at risk or imperiled? Why do you think they felt perfectly safe and secure?

Page 62 of 103 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!