HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,263 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 67 of 103 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127722
09/23/10 05:25 PM
09/23/10 05:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, yes, God is unique and special. He "inhabits eternity." He is omnipresent. God occupies the past, present, and future simultaneously. Therefore, He knows "the end from the beginning." No one else possesses these supernatural abilities. Why? Because they are not God. He is not bound by our space-time continuum. Neither does God's unique and special abilities alter it. As you like to say, "The future is what it is." The future is totally and completely open. It can play out any number of ways. We are free to choose as we please. Nothing is hindering us. Especially not the fact God knows what we will choose and how things will unfold. Again, His knowledge is based on His supernatural ability to occupy the past, present, and future simultaneously. His being ubiquitous in no way alters our reality.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127723
09/23/10 05:40 PM
09/23/10 05:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Again, the point is God can, and does, know the future like history without making it single-threaded.

T: No, this isn't the point. A person's knowledge of a fact does not change the fact. That's the point.

The fact is God is omnipresent in time and space without altering or changing time and space or our freedom to choose as we please.

Quote:
M: I realize you believe God is incapable of knowing the future like history, but I believe it is true.

T: Do you believe God is capable of knowing that He doesn't exist?

God does indeed exist. Therefore, He cannot know otherwise.

Quote:
M: Why are you so sure the future will play out the way it is described in the GC?

T: It's based on principles that are spelled out. That is, God has told us the principles that are working, and given these principles, and given human nature, I think it makes perfect sense that things would play out the way described.

M: But according to you God cannot know with absolute certainty which one of the millions of ways the future can play out. Why is this different?

T: It's not different.

M: Also, if the future is certain to play out according to the minute details described in prophecy doesn't that mean, using your logic, the future is single-threaded?

T: They're not minute details. They are normal details that one would expect given an understanding of the principles involved and the characters of the individuals involved.

I agree with you that God knows which individuals will be involved and the character traits they will cultivate. But do you agree with me that knowing as much involves knowing countless details in advance? Think of the myriad of choices and outcomes involved in cultivating character. Think of all the people and all the choices and all the outcomes involved in creating nations and laws and churches and doctrines all culminating in legislation enforcing Sunday laws.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127724
09/23/10 06:10 PM
09/23/10 06:10 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
I wonder if time and space really are entities, making it possible to be inside or outside of them. Water is an entity which you can either be in or not be in. Time is the continuous progression of events.

I wonder whether it really is a blessing to be omnipresent in time. Every hurt, every pain, every euphoria, every laugh being ever equally present in an eternal "now". When you are in time, every time the hammer finds your thumb rather than the nail, the pain eventually fades away. But if all the times you hit your thumb with that hammer were all equally present, there would be no relief. At all times God would be experiencing Eve reaching for that fruit. At all times God would be experiencing sending the rains over the world of Noah. At all times God would be experiencing the crafting and worship of the golden calf. At all times God would experience nails being driven into His hands. At every moment God would experience the final moment when so many of His creatures give their final breath and cease to be.

If heaven is being invited to participate in that, annihilation soon seems like a rather good deal..

(Importing concepts of God from extrabiblical sources makes even less sense when all they do is smear Gods image and reputation.)

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127725
09/23/10 06:12 PM
09/23/10 06:12 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

I agree with you that God knows which individuals will be involved and the character traits they will cultivate. But do you agree with me that knowing as much involves knowing countless details in advance? Think of the myriad of choices and outcomes involved in cultivating character. Think of all the people and all the choices and all the outcomes involved in creating nations and laws and churches and doctrines all culminating in legislation enforcing Sunday laws.
You really do think that keeping the sabbath is the epicentre of the controversy between God and sin?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #127727
09/23/10 07:10 PM
09/23/10 07:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, God has a perfect memory. He recalls things in perfect detail with all His senses in good working order. Time does nothing to lessen the impact. Jesus is the "lamb slain from the foundation of the world." The reality and efficacy of His life and death on earth is something that supersedes our space-time continuum. God is big enough to handle it.

And, yes, I am 100% in agreement with the interpretation of endtime events described in great detail in the GC. I take it you're not. Have you ever explained how you see things playing out?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #127729
09/23/10 07:29 PM
09/23/10 07:29 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Tom, yes, God is unique and special. He "inhabits eternity."

This means God is eternal.

Quote:
He is omnipresent. God occupies the past, present, and future simultaneously.

This doesn't make sense. The future hasn't happened yet.

Quote:
Therefore, He knows "the end from the beginning."

That's not why He knows the end from the beginning. He knows the end from the beginning for the same reason that we do, except that His knowledge is perfect and His ability to visualize is perfect.

I'll give some examples. If you visualize closing a door, you know what will happen, even without closing the door. Or, to put it another way, before you close the door, you know what will happen. This is because of past experience, and knowledge of what happens when a door is closed. You can visualize the action of the door, the sound it makes, the sense of touch that would come from touching the knob, and so forth.

Here's another example. When you roll a die, you can visualize it's rolling around, and know it will come up with a number from 1 to 6. However, you don't know which, because you don't know all the variables involved involving the force of the roll, how the die is rolling around, how it bumps, and so forth. If you knew these things as well as God does, you could predict exactly which die would come up.

God knows everything. He has perfect knowledge. He understands how things works, and He knows people's characters. He also has perfect visualization, so the future is as the past, in terms of His seeing it.

Quote:
No one else possesses these supernatural abilities. Why? Because they are not God. He is not bound by our space-time continuum. Neither does God's unique and special abilities alter it.

In virtually every conversation you repeat this, yet it's been pointed out many times that this is not an issue. This is very curious. It makes me wonder, like Thomas asked you, if you're understanding what we're talking about.

No one has suggested that God's abilities alter the future. Why would you think this is something worth mentioning once, let alone dozens of times?

Quote:
As you like to say, "The future is what it is." The future is totally and completely open. It can play out any number of ways.

Not under your presuppositions it can't. It's rather astounding to me that you don't perceive this.

Quote:
We are free to choose as we please. Nothing is hindering us.

Again, it makes me think you're not understanding what's being said when you write this. This has never been an issue. Nobody thinks otherwise. There's no reason to make this point. Why *are* you making this point? Why do you make it so often?

Quote:
Especially not the fact God knows what we will choose and how things will unfold.

Why would this prevent us from doing what we please? Why do you think this is a point worth making?

Quote:
Again, His knowledge is based on His supernatural ability to occupy the past, present, and future simultaneously.

No it's not. His knowledge is based on His intelligence, His ability to reason, and to visualize.

Quote:
His being ubiquitous in no way alters our reality.

What do you mean? It's not "our reality." It's just reality.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127730
09/23/10 07:38 PM
09/23/10 07:38 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Again, the point is God can, and does, know the future like history without making it single-threaded.

T: No, this isn't the point. A person's knowledge of a fact does not change the fact. That's the point.

M:The fact is God is omnipresent in time and space without altering or changing time and space or our freedom to choose as we please.

Please see previous post.

Quote:
M: I realize you believe God is incapable of knowing the future like history, but I believe it is true.

T: Do you believe God is capable of knowing that He doesn't exist?

M:God does indeed exist. Therefore, He cannot know otherwise.

Bingo! The future does not exist. Therefore, God cannot know otherwise.

Quote:
M: Why are you so sure the future will play out the way it is described in the GC?

T: It's based on principles that are spelled out. That is, God has told us the principles that are working, and given these principles, and given human nature, I think it makes perfect sense that things would play out the way described.

M: But according to you God cannot know with absolute certainty which one of the millions of ways the future can play out. Why is this different?

T: It's not different.

M: Also, if the future is certain to play out according to the minute details described in prophecy doesn't that mean, using your logic, the future is single-threaded?

T: They're not minute details. They are normal details that one would expect given an understanding of the principles involved and the characters of the individuals involved.

M:I agree with you that God knows which individuals will be involved and the character traits they will cultivate. But do you agree with me that knowing as much involves knowing countless details in advance?

No.

Quote:
Think of the myriad of choices and outcomes involved in cultivating character.

That doesn't matter. What matters is the choices that people who already have a certain character make.

When the light of the final message is given to the world, the message which started in 1888, people will divide into two camps, those who reject the message and those who respond to it. Those who reject it will respond to Satan's bidding, and God knows Satan's character, and how those who are in his camp will respond.

Quote:
Think of all the people and all the choices and all the outcomes involved in creating nations and laws and churches and doctrines all culminating in legislation enforcing Sunday laws.

This isn't looking at the problem in the right way, IMO. Think of it from the standpoint of Satan.

When Satan sees the final Gospel message, which prepares a people for the coming of Christ, he knows his time is short and he has to do something. So he counterfeits. He counterfeits Christ, the Gospel, the Holy Spirit, the Sabbath -- everything. God knows what the result of this is. It doesn't matter what the time period is, or who's alive, or any of this. There's no need to see all the myriad possibilities to know what will happen. Understanding the principles involved, and the character of those involved, is sufficient.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127731
09/23/10 07:41 PM
09/23/10 07:41 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Thomas
I wonder if time and space really are entities, making it possible to be inside or outside of them. Water is an entity which you can either be in or not be in. Time is the continuous progression of events.

This is a good point, really important.

The important concept is that things happen in order. Event A occurs before event B. To speak in terms of time allows us to make this distinction in a meaningful way.

So the question becomes if events occur in an ordered fashion to God. That is, does God perceive that event A occurs before event B, as we do? Or do all events just happen to God?

Everything in inspiration, whether Scripture or the SOP, suggests that events happen in an ordered fashion to God. Scores upon scores of examples of this could be given.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127733
09/23/10 08:38 PM
09/23/10 08:38 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
The atheist doesn't understand why God hasn't fully explained to us why He chose to create FMAs even though He knew which ones would sin and rebel and die in the lake of fire. He mistakenly concludes such a God must be cruel and uncaring. I can't imagine what the atheist would conclude about a god who created FMAs knowing some of them might sin and rebel and die in the lake of fire but hoping they wouldn't. I know what I think about such a god.
You sure like those double negatives! Takes a little while to figure out what you're saying. Not sure one this and your other one. Can't remember truth tables for sure, but thought if you negated both negatives it would be the same. So that would be, "The atheist does understand why God has fully explained to us why He chose ". But I don't think that's what you mean. However, negating one would be the opposite what you mean.

Also I'm not sure what Florida Medical Associations (FMAs) have to do with it.

But anyway, I think I understand the last part. I gave an actual example of a conclusion of someone who believes the way you do about God knowing the future. Can you give an actual example of a conclusion of someone who believes the way we do about God not knowing the future? And I don't follow your logic about someone seeing God as favorable if He created people knowing which ones would die in the lake of fire but hoping they wouldn't.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #127734
09/23/10 08:48 PM
09/23/10 08:48 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
I once believed as MM did...well at least the part about God is all knowing so of course He knows the future. I resisted strongly and gave some of his same arguments when I was presented with the concept that God may not know the future. How was that possible, I asked. But when it was pointed out that if God knew the future, then Jesus dying on the cross was not a risk but would be a sure thing, I was stuttering, uh, uh, but,.... and then silent for a lack of argument. It was one of those things that hit you up the side of the head that logic requires you to rethink your thoughts. It would make Jesus dying as a ritual and made Him as offering no sacrifice and experiencing nothing of what we experience.

Why do others not arrive at the same conclusion? Do they see the contradiction of logic, but say they "just have faith and believe"? Or is it they are not a student of logic and do not understand its principles?

Page 67 of 103 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!