HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,202 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 24 25
Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Rosangela] #127867
09/29/10 03:57 PM
09/29/10 03:57 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
T:It's the only argument that is reasonable. When there are millions of worlds, with trillions of inhabitants, keeping the law, it's pretty silly to argue that it can't be kept.

R:This is not silly at all, but very clever.

No, this is silly. The questions you ask below are clever, but they aren't asking if the law could be kept, but if it should be kept. That's a different question.

Obviously the law could be kept, as there were already quadrillions of creatures-hours of law-keeping to register this fact.

Quote:
It's one thing to keep the law for a time; it's quite another to keep it forever. Satan himself had kept it for a long time, until the moment he decided to rebel against it. The same had happened to man. And the same could happen to anyone. He hoped to instill these thoughts in the minds of other creatures: Is the law faulty and oppressive, like Lucifer said, and, if so, why should we continue to obey it? Is it restrictive of our liberty? Why do we need a law, anyway? Why can't we set it aside, like he did? Does the law make forgiveness impossible? Is God selfish for requiring us to obey it? If they did not receive an adequate answer, these questions would lead to the spreading of sin to the worlds above.

I agree these are also questions that needed to be answered, in addition to the question as to whether fallen man could keep the law.

Quote:
Satan was not arguing that man, as he was created, could not keep the law, but that fallen man could not keep the law

Fallen man in his natural state really can't keep the law.

The question was if man, after fallen, could keep the law at all. Christ proved he could.

Quote:
R:Does man's fallen nature include his mind? That's the point.
T: The 1888 Messengers were clear on this point.

R:What I'm asking is, Does man's fallen nature include his mind? Yes or No?

Here's the quote:

Quote:
He was made in the likeness of sinful flesh. Don’t go too far. He was made in the likeness of sinful flesh; not in the likeness of sinful mind. Do not drag His mind into it. His flesh was our flesh; but the mind was "the mind of Christ Jesus."

Given this was said, how could "sinful flesh" include the mind?

As Jones points out, we should leave Christ's mind out of this. No one asserts that Christ's mind was different than what it was; selfish, or anything like that. It was His flesh that was like ours.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Rosangela] #127868
09/29/10 04:18 PM
09/29/10 04:18 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
R: Like personality traits, character traits are inherited, but they have to do with the mind, and they determine, partly at least, how we think and the decisions we make.
T: If our DNA determines the decisions we make, how do we have free will?

R:Because we are not just our DNA; we are also our experiences.

If our DNA determines the decisions we make, it determines our experiences as well. How does address the free will question?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #127869
09/29/10 04:31 PM
09/29/10 04:31 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
In what ways do you think our connection differs from the connection A&E enjoyed before the Fall? And, how does it differ from the connection Jesus had while here in the "likeness of sinful flesh"? also, how does it relate to RBF?

Good question. A & E's was an unceasing connection with God - at the moment this connection was severed, they fell. Jesus' connection with God was always unceasing - till the very end, despite His circumstances and feelings. Since we are still growing, our connection with God is more intermittent.

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Tom] #127870
09/29/10 04:54 PM
09/29/10 04:54 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
No, this is silly. The questions you ask below are clever, but they aren't asking if the law could be kept, but if it should be kept. That's a different question.

As I said before, keeping the law for a time is one thing. Keeping it forever is quite another. His implied argument was that, sooner or later, you would arrive at a point where the law would conflict with what you perceived to be your highest good - at this point you would arrive at the conclusion that it couldn't be kept. This had happened with him and others and, according to him, would happen with every creature.

Quote:
T: Satan was not arguing that man, as he was created, could not keep the law, but that fallen man could not keep the law
R: Fallen man in his natural state really can't keep the law.
T: The question was if man, after fallen, could keep the law at all. Christ proved he could.

I'm not speaking of what Christ proved, bur of what Satan said he had proved. And of course, when man fell he didn't prove that "fallen man cannot keep the law." This makes no sense at all. The DA passage shows what he said he had proved: “In the opening of the great controversy, Satan had declared that the law of God could not be obeyed. ... When men broke the law of God, and defied His will, Satan exulted. It was proved, he declared, that the law could not be obeyed.”

Quote:
T: As Jones points out, we should leave Christ's mind out of this. No one asserts that Christ's mind was different than what it was; selfish, or anything like that. It was His flesh that was like ours.

Yes, leave Christ's mind out of this. What I'm asking is, Does man's fallen nature include his mind? Yes or No?

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Tom] #127871
09/29/10 04:57 PM
09/29/10 04:57 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
If our DNA determines the decisions we make, it determines our experiences as well. How does address the free will question?

???
Our experiences is all that happens to us. What does this have to do with our DNA?

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Rosangela] #127875
09/29/10 07:43 PM
09/29/10 07:43 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Tom

???

Our experiences is all that happens to us. What does this have to do with our DNA?

Here's our conversation:

Quote:
R: Like personality traits, character traits are inherited, but they have to do with the mind, and they determine, partly at least, how we think and the decisions we make.
T: If our DNA determines the decisions we make, how do we have free will?

R:Because we are not just our DNA; we are also our experiences.

T:If our DNA determines the decisions we make, it determines our experiences as well. How does this address the free will question?

What I'm asking is your answer doesn't seem to address my question regarding DNA and free will. I asked if our DNA determines our decisions, then how do we have free will?

Ok, you answered that we are not only our DNA, but we are also our experiences. Our experiences result from the decisions we make, and if our DNA determines the decisions we make, then it determines our experiences as well. This was one point I was making.

The second point is I don't see how your response addresses my question regarding free will (i.e., your response that we are not only our DNA, but also our experiences as well; I don't see how this addresses my question that if our DNA determines our decisions, then how do we have free will?)

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Tom] #127876
09/29/10 08:11 PM
09/29/10 08:11 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #127870, if you interpret Satan's claim that the law couldn't be kept to mean, "you would arrive at a point where the law would conflict with what you perceived to be your highest good - at this point you would arrive at the conclusion that it couldn't be kept," that seems fine to me.

Regarding the second paragraph, Satan made the argument that fallen man could not keep the law. The "sons and daughters of Adam," from the EGW quote. Christ proved this to be false by taking fallen man's nature and perfectly keeping the law.

Quote:
T: As Jones points out, we should leave Christ's mind out of this. No one asserts that Christ's mind was different than what it was; selfish, or anything like that. It was His flesh that was like ours.

R:Yes, leave Christ's mind out of this. What I'm asking is, Does man's fallen nature include his mind? Yes or No?

The flesh and the mind are two different things. The flesh, of itself, cannot act contrary to the will of God. This precludes it from including the mind, because if the mind were included, this statement would be false.

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Rosangela] #127884
09/29/10 11:03 PM
09/29/10 11:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
M: In what ways do you think our connection differs from the connection A&E enjoyed before the Fall? And, how does it differ from the connection Jesus had while here in the "likeness of sinful flesh"? also, how does it relate to RBF?

R: Good question. A & E's was an unceasing connection with God - at the moment this connection was severed, they fell. Jesus' connection with God was always unceasing - till the very end, despite His circumstances and feelings. Since we are still growing, our connection with God is more intermittent.

What made it possible for A&E to sever their connection? And, how does it differ from us severing the connection? Also, is it possible to be connected, partaking of the divine nature, while simultaneously standing before God guilty and condemned because we inhabit sinful flesh?

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Tom] #127902
09/30/10 06:07 PM
09/30/10 06:07 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
What I'm asking is your answer doesn't seem to address my question regarding DNA and free will. I asked if our DNA determines our decisions, then how do we have free will?

Our decisions are a product of our personality and character (motives). Through our experiences, we learn the effects which result from certain causes, we acquire values, etc. These become part of our character and impact our decisions. But at a very young age, before we are exposed to all these things, our decisions are just made on the basis of the character traits and the personality traits we've inherited.

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Tom] #127903
09/30/10 06:27 PM
09/30/10 06:27 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R:Yes, leave Christ's mind out of this. What I'm asking is, Does man's fallen nature include his mind? Yes or No?
T: The flesh and the mind are two different things. The flesh, of itself, cannot act contrary to the will of God. This precludes it from including the mind, because if the mind were included, this statement would be false.

Here is the crux of our disagreement. Obviously the mind is included in man's nature. And of course man's "fallen nature" includes his fallen (carnal) mind.
Besides, you are misunderstanding the EGW passage. What she is explaining in the passage is precisely the opposite of what you are saying. She is pointing out that the word "flesh" in the Bible includes more than just the body, because the body of itself would not be able to act contrary to the will of God. She is saying that "flesh" is the same as "carnal lusts," and "carnal lusts" have to do with the mind, not the body. That's why the way to crucify the flesh is not by inflicting pain to the body, but by expelling the corrupt thought.

Page 5 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 24 25

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!