HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,179 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 77 of 103 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128130
10/14/10 02:27 PM
10/14/10 02:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
K: Yes, I think you've said that before. What I'm asking is, assuming you still believe God knows the future and it's multi-threaded, can you contrast that with an example of God knowing the future but it's single-threaded? This would help me understand what you believe. Since what you've defined so far seems contradictory to me, if you contrast those items, I can better understand it and won't need to keep asking you.

M: What I'm saying is God knowing the future like history does not make it single-threaded or multi-threaded. It doesn't make it anything. It doesn't change anything about time.

T: Do you think anybody here believes that God's knowing the future to be a certain way changes it?

It seems that way. I believe God exists out of time and in time and that it has zero effect on time. Time unfolds as if God knows nothing about the future even though in reality He knows precisely how it played out. He knows the end from the beginning. I realize you believe this is impossible because you believe the future doesn't exist. He knows the future like history without making it single-threaded or multi-threaded. Nothing He knows changes the nature or essence of time.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128131
10/14/10 03:37 PM
10/14/10 03:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
R:Jesus said God knows the day and the hour of Christ's coming. Is this true or not?

T: Yes, this is true. God knows the day and the hour of Christ's coming in the same way He knows any conditional event, in a multi-threaded way.

R: If God can't know the exact date, He doesn't know the date.

M: Are you suggesting God knows thousands of possible "day and hour" dates, but He doesn't know precisely which one it will be? If so, how much time is there between the earliest and latest possible dates - 200 years? If so, that limits the possible "day and hour" dates to 73,000 (200 X 365).

T: I don't believe the time for Christ's coming is fixed. I think there are certain things that have to happen to prepare it, such as a revival along the lines of what God tried to start in 1888. I don't know what all plans God has, or what all possibilities God foresees, as He has not made me privy to such things.

Are you suggesting God knows thousands of possible "day and hour" dates, but He doesn't know precisely which one it will be? "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only." Regarding the exact "day and hour" Ellen wrote:

Quote:
The exact time of the second coming of the Son of man is God's mystery. {DA 632.4}

But there is a day that God hath appointed for the close of this world's history. {FE 335.2}

Every week counts one week less, every day one day nearer to the appointed time of the judgment. {Mar 55.5}

We must cherish and cultivate the faith of which prophets and apostles have testified--the faith that lays hold on the promises of God and waits for deliverance in His appointed time and way. The sure word of prophecy will meet its final fulfillment in the glorious advent of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, as King of kings and Lord of lords. {Mar 66.3}

No material can be used in the erection of buildings that will preserve them from destruction when God's appointed time comes to send retribution on men for their disregard of His law and for their selfish ambition. {CCh 38.2}

All must wait for the appointed time, until the warning shall have gone to all parts of the world, until sufficient light and evidence have been given to every soul. {LDE 217.1}

Antichrist, meaning all who exalt themselves against the will and work of God, will at the appointed time feel the wrath of Him who gave Himself that they might not perish but have eternal life. {3SM 402.1}

The times and seasons God has put in His own power. And why has not God given us this knowledge?-- Because we would not make a right use of it if He did. {Ev 221.1}

The Lord has wisely concealed this from us that we may always be in a state of expectancy and preparation for the second appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ in the clouds of heaven. {LDE 33.3}

The voice of God is heard from heaven, declaring the day and hour of Jesus' coming, and delivering the everlasting covenant to His people. ... And when the blessing is pronounced on those who have honored God by keeping His Sabbath holy, there is a mighty shout of victory. {FLB 182.7}

I hear you saying these kinds of passages, of which there are many, must be interpreted to mean God does not know the precise day and hour Jesus will return.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128132
10/14/10 03:45 PM
10/14/10 03:45 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: Do you think anybody here believes that God's knowing the future to be a certain way changes it?

M:It seems that way.

Why do you think it seems this way?

There are to aspects to consider in this question; one an ontological one (what things are like), and one epistemological (what one knows things to be like). Nobody has suggested that the latter impacts the former, and to even think so doesn't make sense. Yet you keep making this point, in virtually every post. I don't understand why.

Quote:
I believe God exists out of time and in time and that it has zero effect on time.

I think everyone would agree with this, although God's existing out of time is a meaningless concept as far as we are concerned.

Quote:
Time unfolds as if God knows nothing about the future even though in reality He knows precisely how it played out.

When you say "time unfolds" I assume you mean "things happen in time" as opposed to, for example, time speeding up or slowing down. Assuming I've understood you correctly, what you're asserting isn't true, because God acts in time; that is, He does things, and the things He does impacts the things which happen in time.

Your above sentence doesn't appear to make sense to me. Perhaps you could restate it?

Quote:
He knows the end from the beginning. I realize you believe this is impossible because you believe the future doesn't exist.

We've been having this conversation for years, and I have asserted many times that God knows the end from the beginning. So why are you saying this?

Regarding the future existing or not existing, what do you mean? I guess you're asserting that you believe the future exists, whereas I don't. What do you mean by this? Please answer this, as I'm very interested in what you meant by this.

Quote:
He knows the future like history without making it single-threaded or multi-threaded.

You haven't understood the point. God's knowing the future to be a certain way doesn't make it be a certain way in terms of *causing* it to be that way, as if God's knowing something changes its essence. That, of course, and obviously, makes no sense. God's knows things as they are. God's knowing the future to be like history would "make" it be single-threaded in the sense that the only way God could know it to be like history is if it were like history. Now since history is single-threaded, that would make the future single-threaded as well.

Quote:
Nothing He knows changes the nature or essence of time.

Right. Of course not. And, again, one can only wonder why you think this is a point that needs to be made, repeatedly in one post, despite the fact that it's been pointed out to you over and over and over again that this is not an issue. Please explain why you are thinking this is an issue.

It seems clear to me that there is something being missed in terms of communication. It appears to me that what I'm writing is clear, yet your comments indicate that you're hearing things I'm not saying.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #128133
10/14/10 03:50 PM
10/14/10 03:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Our perception of reality is that the decisions we make make a difference -- that is, they effect the future. Is this perception true? Or is it a false perception, based on ignorance? That is, if we could see the future, like God sees it, we would recognize that the future has already been fixed, and our future decisions have already been factored in, so to speak. So we can't actually alter the future, but our ignorance (i.e., lack of ability to foresee the future) gives us the illusion that we can?

God knowing the future like history has no effect whatsoever on the nature or essence of the future or on how time and events unfold. His knowledge of the past, present, and future does not make the future "fixed". Only God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously. Again, I realize you believe this is impossible. But just assume for the sake of discussion it is true, do you see how what I'm saying about the future not being fixed is true? God's knowledge of the future is based on His ability to exist in the past, present, and future simultaneously.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128138
10/14/10 04:29 PM
10/14/10 04:29 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
God knowing the future like history has no effect whatsoever on the nature or essence of the future or on how time and events unfold.

I'm guessing you responded to this without having read the post I last posted. Anyway, I hope so.

Quote:
His knowledge of the past, present, and future does not make the future "fixed".

Same comment. Please read my last post.

Quote:
Only God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously. Again, I realize you believe this is impossible.

I didn't say I believe this is impossible. I said I don't believe this is true. These are two different things.

What I said was that the only way that God could simultaneously exist in the past, present, and future is if the past, present and future exist simultaneously.

Quote:
But just assume for the sake of discussion it is true, do you see how what I'm saying about the future not being fixed is true? God's knowledge of the future is based on His ability to exist in the past, present, and future simultaneously.

The real question that needs to be considered is, what is reality? Is it the case that the past, present, and future really exist simultaneously? If this is the case, then I agree with what you're writing; that is, what you are writing would logically follow from this assumption. However, I don't agree that the past, present, and future exist simultaneously; I believe they are sequential.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128147
10/14/10 08:51 PM
10/14/10 08:51 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
God knowing the future like history has no effect whatsoever on the nature or essence of the future or on how time and events unfold. His knowledge of the past, present, and future does not make the future "fixed". Only God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously. Again, I realize you believe this is impossible. But just assume for the sake of discussion it is true, do you see how what I'm saying about the future not being fixed is true? God's knowledge of the future is based on His ability to exist in the past, present, and future simultaneously.

Why do you keep repeating this? It's getting annoying. Tom has repeated his response to that and you never address it. Who do you think is saying that if God knows the future it has an affect on it?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #128148
10/14/10 08:54 PM
10/14/10 08:54 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Tom, maybe he's saying that he thinks you're saying God's knowing the future affects the future by not affecting it. That is, by God knowing the future causes people not to be able to change it. I don't see you saying that, but maybe he does?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #128149
10/14/10 09:12 PM
10/14/10 09:12 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
So we can't actually alter the future, but our ignorance (i.e., lack of ability to foresee the future) gives us the illusion that we can?

I found this in September's Adventist World from Angel Manuel Rodriguez:
Quote:
Could Jesus have sinned? My unambiguous answer: Yes!
The typical example of Jesus' potential for sinning is His experience in Gethsemane, when His will would have urged Him to preserve His personal life, while his duty to the Father and the salvation of humanity called Him to self-sacrifice and death (Matt. 26:39). The power and reality of this temptation was predicated on the possibility of not doing God's will. Otherwise the whole struggle would have been a pantomime, a self-deceptive exercise, or an illusion.
So MM, we have the atheist expressing free choice as only an illusion and an adventist writer expressing the same regarding if God knew exactly what choices we are going to make. Is Rodriguez as non-understanding as the atheist regarding his ignorance of his ignorance and if we told him he simply was ignorant that he was ignorant, Rodriguez along with the atheist would cease seeing a problem with a fixed future being a problem?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #128153
10/14/10 11:03 PM
10/14/10 11:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

M: It seems that way.

T: God's knowing the future to be like history would "make" it be single-threaded in the sense that the only way God could know it to be like history is if it were like history. Now since history is single-threaded, that would make the future single-threaded as well.

But God can, and does, know the future like history without making it single-threaded or multi-threaded. That's the point. Time unfolds (things happen sequentially) as if God knows nothing about the future. You appear to agree with this.

Quote:
M: He knows the end from the beginning. I realize you believe this is impossible because you believe the future doesn't exist.

T: We've been having this conversation for years, and I have asserted many times that God knows the end from the beginning. So why are you saying this? Regarding the future existing or not existing, what do you mean? I guess you're asserting that you believe the future exists, whereas I don't. What do you mean by this? Please answer this, as I'm very interested in what you meant by this.

You interpret God knowing the "end from the beginning" differently than I do. You believe it means He knows all the different ways the future can play out but doesn't know precisely which one will play out. Whereas, I believe it means God stands at the end of time and looks backward to the beginning of time and knows everything in between. He knows exactly how the future will play out because He exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously. Human history has already played out. Everybody from Adam to the last person has already lived and died. They are already spending eternity in the New Earth.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #128154
10/14/10 11:13 PM
10/14/10 11:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The real question that needs to be considered is, what is reality? Is it the case that the past, present, and future really exist simultaneously? If this is the case, then I agree with what you're writing; that is, what you are writing would logicall y follow from this assumption. However, I don't agree that the past, present, and future exist simultaneously; I believe they are sequential.

I also believe time happens sequentially. It's just that I also believe eternity has already played out and God alone knows "the end from the beginning". I'm glad you think my view of God and time is logical (assuming the assumption is true).

Page 77 of 103 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!