HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 40 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 39 40
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #129478
12/09/10 05:48 AM
12/09/10 05:48 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
God establish the order of things, namely, obey and live, disobey and die. There's nothing natural or arbitrary about it.

There is under your view, because you don't see that there's an organic relationship. That's what "arbitrary" means. It could have been something else, under your view, if God had so chosen. Again, this is the meaning of "arbitrary."

(btw, when you said there's nothing "natural" about it, is this what you meant? Or did you mean "unnatural"?)

Quote:
It is the result of divine design. There are no parallel pathways that also result in perfect peace. The reason for this is divine design, that is, God did not create us to experience perfect peace in other ways.

God could not have created us in to experience peace in other ways, besides agape, because there is no other way. It wasn't a question of God's choosing that perfect peace would result from obedience, as opposed to selfishness, but this followed simply by the fact that God created beings capable of loving Him.

Things could not have been other than this.

Quote:
The truth is, however, there are plenty of people out there who experience perfect peace who have made informed, conscious decisions not to embrace Jesus as their personal Savior.

No, this is false. I have no idea why you would think this.

By the way, you contradicted yourself. You said first that, "God did not create us to experience perfect peace in other ways (than obedience)," and immediately following that there are many people who experience perfect peace in disobedience. I'm not sure which you really believe. I agree with the first one, but not in an arbitrary sense, but because this follows from God's having created beings with free will capable of loving Him.

Quote:
Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. (Isa. 26:3)

Quote:
And yet they are just as kind and loving and compassionate as the best of Christians.

Then they are Christians too. If not by profession, by character.

Quote:
They understand that joy and happiness and peace are byproducts of being kind and loving and compassionate. What accounts for this anomaly? Do these people really deserve to suffer and die because they refuse to embrace Jesus? What is the evidence their choice is death?

The "anomaly" is that you think it's possible for people to reject Christ and simultaneously have the character of Christ.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #129512
12/10/10 02:32 AM
12/10/10 02:32 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, it sounds like you're saying it is impossible for someone to consciously refuse to embrace Jesus and be kind and loving and compassionate.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #129657
12/16/10 12:56 AM
12/16/10 12:56 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, you wrote this:

Quote:
God establish the order of things, namely, obey and live, disobey and die. There's nothing natural or arbitrary about it. It is the result of divine design. There are no parallel pathways that also result in perfect peace. The reason for this is divine design, that is, God did not create us to experience perfect peace in other ways.

The truth is, however, there are plenty of people out there who experience perfect peace who have made informed, conscious decisions not to embrace Jesus as their personal Savior. And yet they are just as kind and loving and compassionate as the best of Christians. They understand that joy and happiness and peace are byproducts of being kind and loving and compassionate. What accounts for this anomaly? Do these people really deserve to suffer and die because they refuse to embrace Jesus? What is the evidence their choice is death?

This doesn't make sense to me, as you first say:

a.God did not create us to experience perfect peace in other ways.

and then

b.The truth is, however, there are plenty of people out there who experience perfect peace who have made informed, conscious decisions not to embrace Jesus as their personal Savior.

So which is it, a. or b.? Does one experience perfect peace only by "obey and live"? Or are there "plenty of people" who experience "perfect peace" who have made conscious decisions not to embrace Jesus as their personal Savior?

In response to your question, I think if a person is consciously resisting the Holy Spirit (which your question to me looks to be implying, as it says they're "consciously refusing to embrace Jesus") that this would impede their ability to be "kind and loving and compassionate." I think resisting the Holy Spirit would inevitably lead to a religion of putting self first. I don't see how this could be avoided.

You wrote:

Quote:
And yet they are just as kind and loving and compassionate as the best of Christians.

So apparently you feel that being a Christian has no impact whatsoever on one being kind and loving and compassionate. I don't understand this idea. It is only by beholding Christ that one becomes Christ-like. Now one may behold Christ without recognizing that this is what one is doing (in the case of those who are uninformed regarding Christ) or even "reject" Christ because of the false misrepresentations of Him offered by Christians only so in name, but I don't see how one could actually reject the Holy Spirit and be as living, kind, and compassionate as those who embrace His work.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #129675
12/16/10 11:15 PM
12/16/10 11:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, "a" is "obey and live, disobey and die". It is by divine design. Do you agree?

Why do you think people can be kind and loving and compassionate like Jesus even though they consciously reject Jesus as misrepresented by people who are Christian in name only? Do you know of anyone in this category?

PS - I believe "a" is true and "b" is impossible. That is, I don't think "b" can experience "perfect peace" as defined in the Bible. But how do you explain the fact there are people, like former believers, who once rejoiced in the Lord and but now consciously reject Him, and yet are still very kind and loving and compassionate? Are these attributes evidence they are experiencing "perfect peace" as defined in the Bible? If not, how do you prove it? Upon what evidence or "fruit" do you base it on?

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #129684
12/17/10 12:51 AM
12/17/10 12:51 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tom, "a" is "obey and live, disobey and die". It is by divine design. Do you agree?

Not in an arbitrary sense, but as an organic relationship, yes.

Quote:
Why do you think people can be kind and loving and compassionate like Jesus even though they consciously reject Jesus as misrepresented by people who are Christian in name only?

Because they're not really rejecting Christ; they're not resisting (necessarily) or rejecting the work of the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
Do you know of anyone in this category?

Yes.

Quote:
PS - I believe "a" is true and "b" is impossible. That is, I don't think "b" can experience "perfect peace" as defined in the Bible.

Then why did you say this was "the truth"?

Quote:
But how do you explain the fact there are people, like former believers, who once rejoiced in the Lord and but now consciously reject Him, and yet are still very kind and loving and compassionate?

I don't know anyone like this.

Quote:
Are these attributes evidence they are experiencing "perfect peace" as defined in the Bible? If not, how do you prove it? Upon what evidence or "fruit" do you base it on?

Don't know what you're asking here.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #129714
12/18/10 05:50 PM
12/18/10 05:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Tom, "a" is "obey and live, disobey and die". It is by divine design. Do you agree?

T: Not in an arbitrary sense, but as an organic relationship, yes.

Neither life nor death are organic. Life is entirely dependent upon God continuing to grant it. And death is entirely dependent upon God withdrawing life. When Jesus first formed Adam, he was lifeless, dead. Not until Jesus breathed into him the breath of the life did Adam become a living soul. It is very arbitrary.

Quote:
M: Why do you think people can be kind and loving and compassionate like Jesus even though they consciously reject Jesus as misrepresented by people who are Christian in name only?

T: Because they're not really rejecting Christ; they're not resisting (necessarily) or rejecting the work of the Holy Spirit.

M: Do you know of anyone in this category?

T: Yes.

Are you really going to make me ask you to name the person or people you have in mind? Seems disrespectful.

Quote:
M: PS - I believe "a" is true and "b" is impossible. That is, I don't think "b" can experience "perfect peace" as defined in the Bible.

T: Then why did you say this was "the truth"?

Because there are people who appear, in truth, to have as much peace as believers.

Quote:
M: But how do you explain the fact there are people, like former believers, who once rejoiced in the Lord and but now consciously reject Him, and yet are still very kind and loving and compassionate?

T: I don't know anyone like this.

I'm surprised. I find them just about everywhere I go.

Quote:
M: Are these attributes evidence they are experiencing "perfect peace" as defined in the Bible? If not, how do you prove it? Upon what evidence or "fruit" do you base it on?

T: Don't know what you're asking here.

I'm not surprised. Having never met former believers who are kind and loving and compassionate, it makes perfect sense you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #129753
12/20/10 10:24 PM
12/20/10 10:24 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Neither life nor death are organic. Life is entirely dependent upon God continuing to grant it. And death is entirely dependent upon God withdrawing life. When Jesus first formed Adam, he was lifeless, dead. Not until Jesus breathed into him the breath of the life did Adam become a living soul. It is very arbitrary.

James speaks of a process: sin, when it is finished, brings forth death. Death is to sin what the oak is to the acorn. We see what this process looks like at Calvary.

Quote:

M:Are you really going to make me ask you to name the person or people you have in mind? Seems disrespectful.

You mean disrespectful to you? You don't know the person.

Quote:
M: PS - I believe "a" is true and "b" is impossible. That is, I don't think "b" can experience "perfect peace" as defined in the Bible.

MM:Because there are people who appear, in truth, to have as much peace as believers.

Then you mean "not in truth." When you write things like "in truth," when what you really mean is "apparently," it makes it difficult to follow you.

Quote:
M: But how do you explain the fact there are people, like former believers, who once rejoiced in the Lord and but now consciously reject Him, and yet are still very kind and loving and compassionate?

M:I'm surprised. I find them just about everywhere I go.

So you think a person can knowingly resist the Holy Spirit, knowingly reject Christ, and be just as loving and kind and compassionate as "the best of Christians"? It doesn't appear that you believe that responding to the Holy Spirit and knowing Christ has an impact on one's character. I find this odd.

Quote:
M: Are these attributes evidence they are experiencing "perfect peace" as defined in the Bible? If not, how do you prove it? Upon what evidence or "fruit" do you base it on?

M:I'm not surprised. Having never met former believers who are kind and loving and compassionate, it makes perfect sense you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

I don't think you're communicating clearly here.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #129761
12/21/10 05:14 PM
12/21/10 05:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom

James speaks of a process: sin, when it is finished, brings forth death. Death is to sin what the oak is to the acorn. We see what this process looks like at Calvary.

We disagree.

Quote:

M:Are you really going to make me ask you to name the person or people you have in mind? Seems disrespectful.

T: You mean disrespectful to you? You don't know the person.

That was unproductive.

Quote:

MM:Because there are people who appear, in truth, to have as much peace as believers.

T: Then you mean "not in truth." When you write things like "in truth," when what you really mean is "apparently," it makes it difficult to follow you.

The truth is, there are people who seem to be as peaceful as some believers seem to be. Since we cannot judge motive, since we can only go on outward signs, there are many unbelievers who seem just as peaceful as believers seem to be.

Quote:

T: So you think a person can knowingly resist the Holy Spirit, knowingly reject Christ, and be just as loving and kind and compassionate as "the best of Christians"? It doesn't appear that you believe that responding to the Holy Spirit and knowing Christ has an impact on one's character. I find this odd.

What seems odd to me is the fact you have never met an unbeliever who is just as kind and loving and compassionate as the best of believers.

Quote:

M:I'm not surprised. Having never met former believers who are kind and loving and compassionate, it makes perfect sense you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

T: I don't think you're communicating clearly here.

I'm talking about the unbelievers you have never met, namely, the ones who are just as kind and loving and compassionate as the best of believers. My question is - Do these observable outward signs and fruit (the fact they are kind and loving and compassionate) prove they are experiencing the kind of peace defined in the Bible? If not, upon what bases do you prove they are not experiencing the kind of peace defined in the Bible? Or, is it impossible to prove or disprove it?

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #129766
12/21/10 06:59 PM
12/21/10 06:59 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Quote:

I'm talking about the unbelievers you have never met, namely, the ones who are just as kind and loving and compassionate as the best of believers. My question is - Do these observable outward signs and fruit (the fact they are kind and loving and compassionate) prove they are experiencing the kind of peace defined in the Bible? If not, upon what bases do you prove they are not experiencing the kind of peace defined in the Bible? Or, is it impossible to prove or disprove it?
Is it possible to express the fruit of the Spirit except it comes from God? Irrespective of whether the person has a confessed belief in Jesus or not..

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: vastergotland] #129769
12/21/10 10:38 PM
12/21/10 10:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
M:Neither life nor death are organic. Life is entirely dependent upon God continuing to grant it. And death is entirely dependent upon God withdrawing life. When Jesus first formed Adam, he was lifeless, dead. Not until Jesus breathed into him the breath of the life did Adam become a living soul. It is very arbitrary.

T:James speaks of a process: sin, when it is finished, brings forth death. Death is to sin what the oak is to the acorn. We see what this process looks like at Calvary.

M:We disagree.

Regarding? I mentioned three things:

1.James speaks of a process: sin, which, when it is finished, brings forth death.
2.Death is to sin what the oak is to the acorn.
3.We see what this process looks like at Calvary.

Quote:

T: You mean disrespectful to you? You don't know the person.

M:That was unproductive.

You asked me if I knew someone in a given category. I do. But you don't. I don't know what else you would expect from me.

Quote:

T: Then you mean "not in truth." When you write things like "in truth," when what you really mean is "apparently," it makes it difficult to follow you.

M:The truth is, there are people who seem to be as peaceful as some believers seem to be. Since we cannot judge motive, since we can only go on outward signs, there are many unbelievers who seem just as peaceful as believers seem to be.

This is clearer.

Quote:

T: So you think a person can knowingly resist the Holy Spirit, knowingly reject Christ, and be just as loving and kind and compassionate as "the best of Christians"? It doesn't appear that you believe that responding to the Holy Spirit and knowing Christ has an impact on one's character. I find this odd.

M:What seems odd to me is the fact you have never met an unbeliever who is just as kind and loving and compassionate as the best of believers.

You mean apparently so? (as opposed to actually)

Quote:

M:I'm talking about the unbelievers you have never met, namely, the ones who are just as kind and loving and compassionate as the best of believers.

I don't think such people exist, if you're talking about people actively resisting the Holy Spirit, which I inferred you meant from your comment that they are consciously rejecting, based on an informed decision, Jesus Christ.

Quote:
My question is - Do these observable outward signs and fruit (the fact they are kind and loving and compassionate) prove they are experiencing the kind of peace defined in the Bible? If not, upon what bases do you prove they are not experiencing the kind of peace defined in the Bible? Or, is it impossible to prove or disprove it?

1.I don't think such a group of people exists.
2.I would "prove" this on the basic of logic. Does it make sense to assert that a person resisting the Holy Spirit is actually experiencing perfect peace.
3.Also there's the verse which uses this expression to consider, which I assume is where you got the expression, which is that "Perfect peace have they whose mind is stayed upon Thee." If this is the case, it's difficult to see how it could also be the case that "Perfect peace have they whose mind is not stayed upon Thee," which looks to be what you were suggesting.

Page 6 of 40 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 39 40

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!