HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,263 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20
Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13055
04/28/05 03:53 AM
04/28/05 03:53 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
Do you mean all our sinful propensities are eliminated?
No, of course not. That is, the sinful propensities associated with the sinful nature we inherit from our parents will not be replaced until Jesus returns. As long as we live in this world, occupying this sinful flesh nature, we shall have self to subdue, besetting sins to overcome. Our fallen flesh nature will continue to generate and communicate, to our conscious new man mind, unholy tempting thoughts and feelings, which we must recognize and resist as the voice of sin, self and Satan.

Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13056
04/27/05 05:44 PM
04/27/05 05:44 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Where is there any statement in the Bible or the Spirit of Prophesy that perfection of character is an instantaneous process? (which being born again is -- or perhaps you have a different idea of what it means to be born again).

Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13057
04/27/05 08:22 PM
04/27/05 08:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes, rebirth is an instant act of re-creative power. After a "long... patient, protracted process" we are born again morally complete in Christ. God implants within us all the fruits of the Spirit and all of His righteous attributes of character. Not one is missing. However, we are not born again morally mature. The perfection of Christian character is the work of a lifetime. Like Jesus, we must nurture, foster, and develop each individual trait of character as we grow from glory to glory, from faith to faith, from grace to grace. This process of sanctification continues throughout this life and throughout eternal life. Eternity isn't long enough to exhaust our potential to mature more and more, to become more and more like Jesus.

I hear you saying, and please correct me if I’ve misunderstood you, that we are born again morally defective, that our sinful traits of character devolve, diminish, and disappear gradually, and that while this is going on we gradually accumulate the fruits of the Spirit and the righteous attributes of God. And, you also seem to imply that only the 144,000 will actually attain to perfection of Christian character, that it isn’t possible for the rest of us. I realize I may have misstated your view, so please, don’t ask me to go back and research everything you’ve posted, just state your position clearly. Thank you.

I do not know of any Bible or SOP quotes that say or imply we can complete a lifetime of sanctification is a moment of time. But there are plenty of places where it says we are born again dead to sin and awake to righteous. You are already aware of my favorite quotes supporting this insight, but I can repost them again if you want me to. The thief on the cross was born again morally complete. He received the implanted character traits of God, just like any other born again believer, the difference is he didn’t have time to fully develop them. But our ticket to heaven doesn’t depend on how well we develop each trait of character that was implanted within us the moment we were born again. Instead, our ticket to heaven is rebirth.

How do you explain the difference between being born of the flesh and being born of the Spirit? What is the difference between walking after the flesh and walking after the Spirit?

John
3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Romans
8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
8:6 For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace.
8:7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
8:10 And if Christ [be] in you, the body [is] dead because of sin; but the Spirit [is] life because of righteousness.
8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13058
04/28/05 03:31 AM
04/28/05 03:31 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
We are born again as beings who are at peace with God and in harmony with His will. However, character takes time to develop. The Spirit of Prophesy makes this point repeatedly. I don't agree with your characterization of my position because you use words in what seems to me to be a very strange way. Given your definition of "defects of character" that would mean "knowingly and willfully sinning" and you should know that's not what I believe.

Your view seems to be that our characters are perfected in an instant, the moment we believe in Christ. I was asking for some SOP statement to that effect.

Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13059
04/28/05 09:43 AM
04/28/05 09:43 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Perhaps COL 65, 66 could be relevant to this study:

"The germination of the seed represents the beginning of spiritual life, and the development of the plant is a beautiful figure of Christian growth. As in nature, so in grace; there can be no life without growth. The plant must either grow or die. As its growth is silent and imperceptible, but continuous, so is the development of the Christian life. At every stage of development our life may be perfect; yet if God's purpose for us is fulfilled, there will be continual advancement. Sanctification is the work of a lifetime. As our opportunities multiply, our experience will enlarge, and our knowledge increase. We shall become strong to bear responsibility, and our maturity will be in proportion to our privileges."

Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13060
04/28/05 09:50 AM
04/28/05 09:50 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Now, Mike, I'm not really sure I understand what you are saying. Let's discuss a practical exemple. The apostles, for instance. They were walking with Christ but they had character defects. Do you mean they hadn't been born again?

Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13061
04/29/05 03:14 AM
04/29/05 03:14 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I'm reposting this because I hope we can discuss it:

quote:
How do you explain the difference between being born of the flesh and being born of the Spirit? What is the difference between walking after the flesh and walking after the Spirit?

John
3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Romans
8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
8:6 For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace.
8:7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
8:10 And if Christ [be] in you, the body [is] dead because of sin; but the Spirit [is] life because of righteousness.
8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13062
04/29/05 03:24 AM
04/29/05 03:24 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
Your view seems to be that our characters are perfected in an instant, the moment we believe in Christ. I was asking for some SOP statement to that effect.

Remember, Jesus was born morally perfect (complete), and He became morally perfect (mature) as He grew from childhood to manhood. It’s the same way for born again believers. They are born again morally perfect (complete), and they become morally perfect (mature) as they grow in grace. So long as we are walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man we advance from one stage of perfection to another, from glory to glory – not from greater sins to lesser sins. And, eternity isn’t long enough to exhaust our potential to mature in the fruits of the Spirit.

COL 330
God will accept only those who are determined to aim high. He places every human agent under obligation to do his best. Moral perfection is required of all. Never should we lower the standard of righteousness in order to accommodate inherited or cultivated tendencies to wrong-doing. We need to understand that imperfection of character is sin. All righteous attributes of character dwell in God as a perfect, harmonious whole, and every one who receives Christ as a personal Saviour is privileged to possess these attributes. {COL 330.2}

DA 676
The life of the vine will be manifest in fragrant fruit on the branches. "He that abideth in Me," said Jesus, "and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing." When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing. {DA 676.4}

ML 250
"The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul." Through obedience comes sanctification of body, soul, and spirit. This sanctification is a progressive work, and an advance from one stage of perfection to another. {ML 250.4}

Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13063
04/29/05 03:39 AM
04/29/05 03:39 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, the disciples did not experience the miracle of rebirth until after Jesus’ resurrection, until after He breathed on them the Holy Spirit. At that point, they were born again. Self, the old man habits of sin, died. They were raised to newness of life. Walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man they did not, and could not, sin according to their former defective traits of character.

However, if they disconnected from abiding in Jesus, they were just as incapable of resisting sin as before they were born again. Of course, repentance restores the relationship sin severs, and born again believers resume walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man. Remember, rebirth is a radical transformation, not a radical evolution.

Galatians
5:16 [This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

1 John
3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

MH 180
The Saviour took upon Himself the infirmities of humanity and lived a sinless life, that men might have no fear that because of the weakness of human nature they could not overcome. Christ came to make us "partakers of the divine nature," and His life declares that humanity, combined with divinity, does not commit sin. {MH 180.5}

DA 664
Jesus revealed no qualities, and exercised no powers, that men may not have through faith in Him. His perfect humanity is that which all His followers may possess, if they will be in subjection to God as He was. {DA 664.4}

Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13064
04/28/05 07:22 PM
04/28/05 07:22 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Isnt there a general agreement in this thread that all humans grow from not knowing God to being perfect as He is perfect, with the difference that some believe being born again happends in the beginning of the journey while others believe its a result of a successfull journey?

/Thomas

Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!