HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,300 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 105 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 104 105
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #130985
02/17/11 05:23 PM
02/17/11 05:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, here's what Tom agreed to:

Originally Posted By: Tom
T: I've suggested over and over again that the way to tackle this question is to first form a foundation based on what God's character is, based on the life and revelation of Jesus Christ, and then come back to these questions, as opposed to starting with these questions

M: Okay, let's do it your way. Please take the lead. Present your case in a way that explains 1) why Jesus commanded godly people to kill ungodly people in battle, 2) why Jesus commanded godly people to execute capital punishment, and 3) why Jesus withdraws His protection and permits the forces of nature, evil men, and/or evil angels to kill men, women, and children.

The purpose of this exercise is to obtain a correct understanding of the three actions named above. That is, the "way to tackle this question is to first form a foundation based on what God's character is, based on the life and revelation of Jesus Christ, and then come back to these questions." I agree. Please take the lead. Thank you.

T: All right. Let's consider the revelation of God given by Christ through His life and teachings. What did He teach us regarding God? Let's start with the Sermon on the Mount. What did Christ teach regarding God? Christ taught that one should turn the other cheek, walk the second mile, give the shirt off one's back to the request of a coat, that one should love one's enemies. Is God like this?

M: Tom, all of the above is what you agreed to.

T: Yes, this indeed looks like what I agreed to.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Mountain Man] #130999
02/17/11 09:20 PM
02/17/11 09:20 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Thanks. That's been some time ago. I would have to agree with you that now he has set up the background, he has not addressed your questions in this thread. That is, coming back to these questions.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: kland] #131001
02/17/11 09:27 PM
02/17/11 09:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, if you would put the post#, that would help a lot, when it's not a recent post. It took a while to find this, but here's what I wrote, which I'm posting to make clear what the "this" that I am agreeing to is:

Quote:
Yes, this indeed looks like what I agreed to, which is not what you've been suggesting. Note:

"I've suggested over and over again that the way to tackle this question is to first form a foundation based on what God's character is, based on the life and revelation of Jesus Christ, and then come back to these questions, as opposed to starting with these questions."

So I am opposed to starting with the questions you keep asking. I think the problem lies with the whole mindset that would ask the question. I believe a correct understanding of God's character would result in the asking of different questions.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #131002
02/17/11 09:33 PM
02/17/11 09:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: kland
Thanks. That's been some time ago. I would have to agree with you that now he has set up the background, he has not addressed your questions in this thread. That is, coming back to these questions.

I wrote:

Quote:
So I am opposed to starting with the questions you keep asking. I think the problem lies with the whole mindset that would ask the question. I believe a correct understanding of God's character would result in the asking of different questions.

which I think does address the questions.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #131031
02/18/11 04:49 PM
02/18/11 04:49 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Ok, I see what you mean. However, I also see how he would take it. While you do say, "then come back to these questions" and "as opposed to starting with these questions", you then you clarified it by saying one would not ask those questions once they understood God's character. Either he was dishonest in listing what you agreed to, or he had completely blocked out your clarification and could not see it the first time nor this time. I would have to admit that I may be of the latter and clued in on the word "starting".

Unfortunately, he did not help one to immediately disqualify the former by listing the post#. Which, if so included, all could go back and verify it and see if there was anything left out. Going to all the trouble to find it, it should be assumed he would list it. Maybe he wrote it down elsewhere?

So MM, now that it's been clarified, and that you thought Tom did a good job of describing Jesus, could you give some ideas or suggestions as to why you think Tom would say, once someone correctly understands Jesus and He came to demonstrate the character of God, that one would ask different questions?

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #131193
02/24/11 06:52 AM
02/24/11 06:52 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: SOP (EW 39.3)
The Lord has given me a view of other worlds. Wings were given me, and an angel attended me from the city to a place that was bright and glorious. The grass of the place was living green, and the birds there warbled a sweet song. The inhabitants of the place were of all sizes, they were noble, majestic and lovely. They bore the express image of Jesus, and their countenances beamed with holy joy, expressive of the freedom and happiness of the place. I asked one of them why they were so much more lovely than those on the earth. The reply was--"we have lived in strict obedience to the commandments of God, and have not fallen by disobedience, like those on the earth." Then I saw two trees, one looked much like the tree of life in the city. The fruit of both looked beautiful; but of one they could not eat. They had power to eat of both, but were forbidden to eat of one.

In the light of this SOP revelation, (see especially bold) I have to slightly revise this prior understanding of mine:

Originally Posted By: NJK Project
Indeed I believe that all of the created worlds of God had such a similar testing time and when the past first handedly oblivious, prior to that, to how things had turned out in other worlds, God removed this granted tempting opportunity of Satan and his views, and like a most protective parent and wholly and desiringly trusting child, knowing what is best for their child, has since then been actively, through His Spirit, shielded these worlds from temptations to disobey His Law.

It seems clear here that the Tree of Good and Evil has remained ever present in all God’s created world. The only thing that seems to be absent/banned is Satan’s presence in these worlds as he was, as a Serpent, on Earth in Eden. So that temptation aspect of Satan’s personal presence, itself does seems to have been banned after a period of allowed testing, but the forbidden tree itself remains.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: NJK Project] #131196
02/24/11 04:46 PM
02/24/11 04:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think I read somewhere in the SOP that after a certain amount of time the "bad" tree was taken away.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #131200
02/24/11 05:28 PM
02/24/11 05:28 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Otherwise, there could be temptation without Satan. Her vision may not have been of present time but of times past for the purpose of helping her understand.

Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: Tom] #131204
02/24/11 07:41 PM
02/24/11 07:41 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: Tom
I think I read somewhere in the SOP that after a certain amount of time the "bad" tree was taken away.

I also vaguely had this underlying understanding in expressing my prior view. After some Internet and SOP writings research, here are a couple of such statements:

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SOP
Between the school established in Eden at the beginning and the school of the hereafter there lies the whole compass of this world's history--the history of human transgression and suffering, of divine sacrifice, and of victory over death and sin. Not all the conditions of that first school of Eden will be found in the school of the future life. No tree of knowledge of good and evil will afford opportunity for temptation. No tempter is there, no possibility of wrong. Every character has withstood the testing of evil, and none are longer susceptible to its power. --Ed 301, 302 (1903)

Originally Posted By: SOP
I heard shouts of triumph from the angels and from the redeemed saints which sounded like ten thousand musical instruments, because they were to be no more annoyed and tempted by Satan and because the inhabitants of other worlds were delivered from his presence and his temptations.--SR 416 (1858)
(cf. LDE 297)

This also demonstrates to me that God does not consider the ‘accessible/ready opportunity to sin’ as inextricably crucial to having true “Freedom”.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why did God command people to stone, scorch, and smite sinners to death? [Re: kland] #131205
02/24/11 07:42 PM
02/24/11 07:42 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: kland
Otherwise, there could be temptation without Satan. Her vision may not have been of present time but of times past for the purpose of helping her understand.

Apparently, to me at least, it is only after this GC on earth is ended and fully resolved and Satan and his angels are destroyed that all of the universe will be completely satisfied of the absolute wisdom of God’s ways and it is only then that these shown trees of Good and Evil will be removed from all worlds, and that by the will of all these world inhabitants.

Page 16 of 105 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!