HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,313 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 40 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 39 40
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #131163
02/23/11 01:16 AM
02/23/11 01:16 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
To interpret things this way, one would have to have the idea that God's character is such that He would do such a thing. Reading certain accounts in the Old Testament, one could certainly get the impression that God would do something like this, and even much worse things. But when considering the revelation of Jesus Christ, whose "whole purpose" in His earthly mission was "the revelation of God," one could hardly arrive at such a conclusion, it seems clear to me.

There's a disconnect between how we read the Old Testament, and the revelation of Jesus Christ. How should we determine what God's character is really like? Do we take what Jesus Christ lived and taught as the complete picture? Or a partial picture, which needs to be supplemented?

Tom, the Bible says God did it. How can one understand otherwise without holding to a "private interpretation"?

By focusing on the disconnect, and especially the wording you have used here, an honest individual might truly be left to feel that the Old Testament was not safe reading material...that it would lead him or her into misunderstandings of God.

When you give Bible studies, do you feel comfortable sharing passages from the Old Testament? or do you find yourself gravitating to the New, rarely straying from it?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #131175
02/23/11 08:44 PM
02/23/11 08:44 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
yet I might point out that the "character" of an act is still not the act itself.
In case Tom wasn't clear, the statement was
Quote:
It is the motive that gives character to our acts, stamping them with ignominy or with high moral worth.
It's giving character "to" our acts, not "of" our acts. Minor article, but somehow it seems different to me.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: kland] #131179
02/23/11 10:43 PM
02/23/11 10:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: GC
Tom, the Bible says God did it. How can one understand otherwise without holding to a "private interpretation"?

By considering all the evidence in regards to the subject. For example, the Bible says that God destroyed Jerusalem (cf. the parables of the Murdered Son, and the Wedding Banquet). Yet, from the passage I recently quoted from GC 35, we read:

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. (GC 35.3)

This says it was actually Satan who did this, and that he hides his own work by blaming God.

There are a number of examples like this, where the Bible says, "God did it," yet the SOP explains that He didn't. For example, the Bible says that God sent fiery serpents upon the Israelites, but the SOP says the serpents were there all the time, and God removed His protection (the same principle as Jerusalem).

There are many examples of this principle, where Scripture describes God as doing that which He permits. By comparing Scripture with Scripture, we can readily see that "God did it" often means "God permitted it."

Quote:
By focusing on the disconnect, and especially the wording you have used here, an honest individual might truly be left to feel that the Old Testament was not safe reading material...that it would lead him or her into misunderstandings of God.

Before Jesus Christ came, God's character wasn't understood. That's why it was the purpose of His mission to make God's character clear. I wouldn't say this is a fault of the Old Testament, but that it's simply not possible that this work could be done in any other way than by Jesus Christ.

Quote:
The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2. {DA 22.1}

Even though the Old Testament has been widely read, and studied in minute detail, God's character was not understood.

Quote:
When you give Bible studies, do you feel comfortable sharing passages from the Old Testament? or do you find yourself gravitating to the New, rarely straying from it?

There's nothing wrong the with Old Testament. The problem is with a misunderstanding of God's character.

Here's an example. When Jesus passed through Samaria, with His face set to Jerusalem, his disciples asked if fire should be called down from heaven to destroy them. They didn't understand God's character. But Jesus did, and He responded that they didn't know of what spirit they were (which they didn't, because they didn't understand God's character).

Now both Jesus Christ and the disciples were reading the same thing (the Old Testament), but they were reading with different eyes. The problem wasn't with the Old Testament, but understanding something from it differently than what Jesus Christ understood.

We need to understand the Old Testament as He did.

Now Jesus Christ explained that what He saw His Father do, He did, and what He heard His Father say, He said (He was referring to the Old Testament in saying this). So if we ask the question, "How can we understand the Old Testament the way Jesus Christ did?" the answer is by seeing what Jesus Christ did and hearing what Jesus Christ said.

The disconnect comes when we see things differently from what Jesus Christ saw, and hear things differently from what He heard.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #131199
02/24/11 05:25 PM
02/24/11 05:25 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
Before Jesus Christ came, God's character wasn't understood.
I guess that's why they crucified their own Creator!

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #131354
03/02/11 05:04 PM
03/02/11 05:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Tom, when the specific atheists I defined earlier on this thread (i.e. learned about Jesus in the best light but concluded God does not exist) work alongside the best of Christians helping to feed, clothe, and shelter the poor and needy - How would you characterize their help? Good? Bad? Please explain your answer. Thank you.

T: Regarding people doing good things, as I've said before, if anyone is doing something good, it is because they are responding to the Holy Spirit.

MM: Do you think the atheists I specified above are doing good things? If so, do you think it's because they are "responding to the Holy Spirit"?

T: I feel like deja vu. It seems to me I've addressed this several times, so I'll be brief. I don't think the atheists you are specifying exist.

Do you mean no one has ever learned of Jesus in the best light and have concluded God does not exist? Or, do you mean no one who has "learned about Jesus in the best light but concluded God does not exist" has ever worked "alongside the best of Christians helping to feed, clothe, and shelter the poor and needy"?

M: Also, what is the difference (so far as the good works are concerned) between the Holy Spirit dwelling inside the best of Christians empowering them to do the good things named above and the Holy Spirit dwelling outside the atheists named above "responding to the Holy Spirit" doing the same good things?

T: I don't know what you mean here.

You said, "if anyone is doing something good, it is because they are responding to the Holy Spirit." By "anyone" do you include the people who have "learned about Jesus in the best light but concluded God does not exist"? If so, what is the origin and source of their good works? And, how does it differ from the origin and source of the good works of the best of believers?

For example, when people who have learned about Jesus in the best light but have concluded God does not exist work alongside the best of Christians helping to feed, clothe, and shelter the poor and needy - what is the difference between the origin and source of the good works of the two different groups (i.e. the believers and unbelievers)? In other words, what is the origin and source of the good works performed by the believers, and what is the origin and source of the same good works (i.e. feeding, clothing, and sheltering the poor and needy) performed by the unbelievers?

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #131355
03/02/11 05:25 PM
03/02/11 05:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Like GC, I do not believe Luther's ungodly thoughts and feelings about Jews were the result of the Holy Spirit dwelling within him. Nor do I believe Luther was under the influence of the Holy Spirit whenever he indulged such ungodly thoughts and feelings. Do you agree?

T: This wasn't the question. I agree with what you wrote. This is self-evident, isn't it? I mean, what would the alternative be? That the Holy Spirit was influencing Luther to have ungodly thoughts? I'm really not understanding why you're writing this.

M: So, what was the origin and source of Luther's ungodly thoughts and feelings? I believe whenever Luther indulged such ungodly thoughts and feelings he was under the control and influence of Satan. Do you agree?

T: Are you thinking Luther had these thoughts sometimes but not other times? That he wasn't sure what he thought of Jews, or vacillated on these thoughts? Or that Luther was always under the control of Satan? Is it clear why I'm asking these questions? If not, I'll elaborate.

It seems we both agree Luther's ungodly thoughts and feelings were not the result of the Holy Spirit. I believe they were the result of Satan. Luther did not spend all his time with ungodly thoughts and feelings. But when he did, his thoughts and feelings were not of God. While indulging them he was under the control of Satan. He was voicing Satan's sentiments.

Similarly, Peter was under the control of Satan when Jesus said to him, "Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men." Ellen wrote, "The prince of evil was the author of the thought. . . And through Peter, Satan was again pressing the temptation upon Jesus." {DA 416.1}

Quote:
M: Again, can you provide us with modern day examples of "very bad things" which Spirit-filled, born-again believers do ignorantly nowadays "while under the control of the Holy Spirit"? Do you think there are Spirit-filled, born-again believers "nowadays who are anti-semetic"? If so, do you think they are "under the control of the Holy Spirit" while they are in the very throes of indulging such ungodly thoughts and feelings?

T: It seems to me we're doing fine discussing Luther. What would be the difference between someone having anti-Semitic thoughts now, as opposed to when Luther had them? What I'm getting at is that Luther was a man used by God (I believe), but he wasn't perfect. For example, he had anti-Semitic ideas. I don't believe these anti-Semitic ideas came and went, but he had them as long as he had them, and they were due to ignorance on his part. However, this ignorance did not prevent God from using him.

Do you believe there are Spirit-filled, born-again believers "nowadays who are anti-semetic"?

If so, do you think they are "under the control of the Holy Spirit" while they are in the very throes of indulging such ungodly thoughts and feelings?

Or, do you agree with me that they are voicing the sentiments of Satan while they are actively indulging such ungodly thoughts and feelings?

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #131382
03/03/11 03:55 PM
03/03/11 03:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Do you mean no one has ever learned of Jesus in the best light and have concluded God does not exist? Or, do you mean no one who has "learned about Jesus in the best light but concluded God does not exist" has ever worked "alongside the best of Christians helping to feed, clothe, and shelter the poor and needy"?

The former. I've quoted Romans 1 to you several times. It says:

Quote:
18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

19Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful...

Doesn't this say that all are without excuse because they know of God because God Himself has shown them? And isn't the only way any of us can know God exists because He has revealed Himself to us? Why would God reveal Himself to some but not to others? If a person knows God exists, but chooses not to give Him thanks (vs. 21), even though they know of Him (because He Himself has shown them), then they would be without excuse (vs. 20). But otherwise, if God didn't reveal Himself to them, I don't see how what Paul is asserting can be correct. Or, to put it another way, I don't see how what you are asserting and what Paul is asserting can both be true.

Also knowing of Jesus in the best possible light, to my way of thinking, would mean to have known Jesus personally while He was here in the flesh. Do you think someone would have known and seen Jesus personally and concluded that God does not exist?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #131383
03/03/11 04:07 PM
03/03/11 04:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Also, what is the difference (so far as the good works are concerned) between the Holy Spirit dwelling inside the best of Christians empowering them to do the good things named above and the Holy Spirit dwelling outside the atheists named above "responding to the Holy Spirit" doing the same good things?

T: I don't know what you mean here.

MM:You said, "if anyone is doing something good, it is because they are responding to the Holy Spirit." By "anyone" do you include the people who have "learned about Jesus in the best light but concluded God does not exist"?

This is a tricky question, since I've stated that I believe this to be a set with 0 elements. I believe in this circumstance, any statement could be considered true.

Quote:
If so, what is the origin and source of their good works? And, how does it differ from the origin and source of the good works of the best of believers?

Same comment.

Quote:
For example, when people who have learned about Jesus in the best light but have concluded God does not exist work alongside the best of Christians helping to feed, clothe, and shelter the poor and needy - what is the difference between the origin and source of the good works of the two different groups (i.e. the believers and unbelievers)? In other words, what is the origin and source of the good works performed by the believers, and what is the origin and source of the same good works (i.e. feeding, clothing, and sheltering the poor and needy) performed by the unbelievers?

Although I can't comment on the specific hypothetical you are suggesting, as I've repeatedly questioned why you think such people exist, I can comment in general that I believe that we all have sinful natures, and because of this, we are dependent upon a power outside of ourselves to do good. I believe I've stated this several times previously, and also that this is more or less a direct paraphrase from the SOP.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #131405
03/04/11 02:46 AM
03/04/11 02:46 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
If a person knows God exists, but chooses not to give Him thanks (vs. 21), even though they know of Him (because He Himself has shown them), then they would be without excuse (vs. 20).

Are you suggesting there is no such thing as an atheist? How do you define an atheist? "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God." Ellen wrote, "Another class Satan leads on still further, even to deny the existence of God. They can see no consistency in the character of the God of the Bible, if He will torment with horrible tortures a portion of the human family to all eternity. Therefore they deny the Bible and its Author, and regard death as an eternal sleep. {BEcho, August 10, 1896 par. 8}

Do you think someone would have known and seen Jesus personally and concluded that God does not exist?

Yes.

M: In other words, what is the origin and source of the good works performed by the believers, and what is the origin and source of the same good works (i.e. feeding, clothing, and sheltering the poor and needy) performed by the unbelievers?

T: Although I can't comment on the specific hypothetical you are suggesting, as I've repeatedly questioned why you think such people exist, I can comment in general that I believe that we all have sinful natures, and because of this, we are dependent upon a power outside of ourselves to do good. I believe I've stated this several times previously, and also that this is more or less a direct paraphrase from the SOP.

You wrote, "we all have sinful natures, and because of this, we are dependent upon a power outside of ourselves to do good." Does this include unbelievers? That is, is the origin and source of their good works (i.e. feeding, clothing, and sheltering the poor and needy) identical to that of believers performing the exact same good works?

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #131416
03/04/11 04:05 PM
03/04/11 04:05 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
What is an atheist? What is a person who knows there is a God, but hates Him? Hates Him for torturing people who disagree with Him.

If one knows and sees Jesus personally as a representation of God, could they believe God would torture people, thereby justifying their view of His non-existence?

Page 21 of 40 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 39 40

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!