HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,500 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 33 of 35 1 2 31 32 33 34 35
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Charity] #134838
06/29/11 07:54 PM
06/29/11 07:54 PM
G
glenm  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018
Posting New Member
Colorado, USA
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
The thing that troubled me about interpreting the Two Witnesses as the remnant only is that they are slain and we know that the final group is translated rather than slain. But if the Two Witnesses are also the scripture then their being banned would be a symbolic fulfillment of the scripture effectively being slain.

Your point is well taken though that the shattering of the holy people in Daniel 12 could be the primary application/interpretation here in Revelation 11. That is, the number of martyrs could far outweigh the number of those who survive and/or the action of the nations in imposing the death decree will in itself be a repudiation of the Law, the covenant and scripture.

A couple of comments.

1. We are told that there will be many martyrs, and that the future persecution will be worse than in the Dark Ages. I am thinking in particular of these quotes:

Quote:
When this grand work is to take place in the battle, prior to the last closing conflict, many will be imprisoned, many will flee for their lives from cities and towns, and many will be martyrs for Christ's sake in standing in defense of the truth. {3SM 397.4}

Quote:
The persecutions of Protestants by Romanism, by which the religion of Jesus Christ was almost annihilated, will be more than rivaled when Protestantism and popery are combined. {Mar 194.2}

I don't know the proportion of martyrs to those who are translated.

2. These martyrdoms occur before the close of probation, not after. Presumably this is also when the two witnesses are most active, if we consider "witness" in the usual sense of proclaiming the three angels' messages and asking people to make a choice for God.

Such proclamation after the close of probation would have no point, although it's still possible that the witnesses could serve some other role then, for example by testifying to the universe that they are fully dependent on Christ to get them through the time of Jacob's trouble.

3. I know of a couple of places in the sequence where the wicked exult in apparent triumph that they've silenced God's people. This may correspond to Revelation 11:9-10. I am thinking of these quotes:

Quote:
The wicked exult, and the jeering cry is heard: "Where now is your faith? Why does not God deliver you out of our hands if you are indeed His people?" {GC 630.1}

Quote:
With shouts of triumph, jeering, and imprecation, throngs of evil men are about to rush upon their prey, when, lo, a dense blackness, deeper than the darkness of the night, falls upon the earth. {GC 635.3}

4. The second of these quotes corresponds to the time of the seventh plague, when the special resurrection occurs. We know that those who died in the faith of the third angel's message will be resurrected at this point:

Quote:
There was a mighty earthquake. The graves were opened, and those who had died in faith under the third angel's message, keeping the Sabbath, came forth from their dusty beds, glorified, to hear the covenant of peace that God was to make with those who had kept His law. {EW 285.1}

This group presumably includes the martyrs already mentioned, who apparently come back to life in relatively short order (Revelation 11:11-13).

5. Whether or not the Bible is banned in the future, it seems pretty clear that its witness will be nullified, as will the witness of the people who proclaim its truths.

Interestingly enough, EGW applies Amos 8:11-12 to this period, and talks about how there will be a famine for the Word:

Quote:
In that day, multitudes will desire the shelter of God's mercy which they have so long despised. "Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord: and they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it." Amos 8:11, 12. {GC 629.1}

This is not so much a literal famine for the Word in the sense of banning the Bible, but is more a famine in the sense that the wicked have gone so far that the Spirit and Bible can no longer reach them.

I'm not certain how this concept ties in with Revelation 11, but it might be worth thinking about.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: kland] #134861
07/01/11 04:14 AM
07/01/11 04:14 AM
His child  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020
Very Dedicated Member
TN, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Ok, let me ask it a different way. In what way does the health message play in your message? If people who don't overcome appetite will not be prepared, and your books are to prepare the people, what part does the health message play in your books in preparing the people in addition to any other message?

My study has always focused on Daniel and Revelation as an extension of it. In Daniel 1 the health message is encountered when Daniel and the three worthies refuse to eat the king's diet. Thus in Defying Destiny, Daniel's Apocalyptic Code Revealed, The Last Church Meets the Obama-Nation, and Echoes of Doomsday; I take on the issue that our body is a temple of the Holy Spirit and link obedience in seemingly little things to victories in much greater things.

Those that failed the dietary test in Daniel are never heard from again in Daniel. They are not recorded as men of honor in Babylon and they did not stand the test of the fiery furnace.

I also link Christ's casting the devils into the swine with Communion. Those that eat at Christ's table are professing that they are taking Jesus as their indwelling Savior. Is it possible for Christ to dwell in an individual that knowingly eats as food that which Jesus cast devils into?

There are many other examples in my books that incorporate our health message into the loud cry, but my heaviest focus is to understand the prophecies that strengthen our faith in God.

We don't know what is going to happen tomorrow, but God has told Daniel what was to happen in his day, in future kingdoms, and in our day. And God got it right. Bible Prophecy is proof that God is and since we can trust His word that seeks to prepare us to make it through the endtime events, we can trust His word that declares His love for us.

As the health message is the hand on the arm of prophecy, I give more time to the larger arm than the smaller hand. I do include the health message because it is need to know material.

And I am actively trying to live it. I am a vegan. I could be working as an RN in a hospital, but in my 61st year, I realize that I have not been as active as I should have been when younger because I had some really soft jobs and I spend hours every day on the computer reading the Bible, writing articles and corresponding; so I work out in the field where I get fresh air, sunshine, gallons of water, and enough exercise to wear me out. Sometimes I have to cut my time back or take a day off in the week to rest up. It does not pay the bills well, but the Lord has led me to this situation and I give it my all.

And there is a blessing there. I earn enough to buy some of my books so that I can give them away. I can only afford about 30-copies a month because I have a 8 year old that needs food and clothes and a christian education and everything an 8-year old needs.

Please pray that the Lord will provide us a house to live in soon and tuition is due soon. We are staying with my mom and it is so cramped.

My 14-year old is living with my wife so I don't have the expenses of caring for both girls, but I will be the one to pay tuition for both or they won't go to Church School.

As I read prophecy, there are allot of folks that are going to be allot more worse off in a very short time. So please pray for them as well.

"Ignorance is sin, when knowledge can be obtained" (HR, September 1, 1866 par. 3). www.loudcry101.com
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: His child] #134867
07/01/11 06:05 PM
07/01/11 06:05 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Thank you for explaining that. I find it very hard to eat vegan (and more than just that: healthy) at church and wondered how those who are looking for the soon return views the health message.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: kland] #134880
07/02/11 09:43 AM
07/02/11 09:43 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Here are a few more 'obscure' statements from the SOP that need more attention and discussion IMO.

Quote:
“Then will take place the final fulfillment of the Revelator's prophecy. [Revelation 13:4-18, quoted.]” Manuscript Releases Volume Nineteen [Nos. 1360-1419] (1900)

“The prophetic periods of Daniel, extending to the very eve of the great consummation...” Review and Herald, 9/25/1883

“There is no excuse for any one in taking the position… that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error.” – Review and Herald, December 20, 1892.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Charity] #134890
07/02/11 01:58 PM
07/02/11 01:58 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
I readily see, based upon what the properly analyzed facts show in regards to the SOP’s statements on prophetic time after 18844, that any such EGW statements (pointedly future-casted statements which quote prophecies that include time elements), involve any aspect of that prophecy except for a literal/symbolic definite reckoning of that time element. Thus for the 19MR quoting, the “42 months” in Rev 13:5 would not (again) have a definite fulfillment, but as shown above in Post #134837, would be spiritually indicative of what type fulfillment to expect in the future.

Originally Posted By: SOP RH, September 25, 1883 par. 6
In the Scriptures are presented truths that relate especially to our own time. To the period just prior to the appearing of the Son of man, the prophecies of Scripture point, and here their warnings and threatenings pre-eminently apply. The prophetic periods of Daniel, extending to the very eve of the great consummation, throw a flood of light upon events then to transpire. The book of Revelation is also replete with warning and instruction for the last generation. The beloved John, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, portrays the fearful and thrilling scenes connected with the close of earth's history, and presents the duties and dangers of God's people. None need remain in ignorance, none need be unprepared for the coming of the day of God.

Succinctly said here, It is clear to me from the context of that quoted statement that EGW had here in mind “Daniel prophecies” and not pointedly his time elements. Thus also “prophetic events” [“periods” = “seasons”] leading up to the great consummation.

Originally Posted By: SOP RH, December 20, 1892 par. 1
There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. We are living in perilous times, and it does not become us to accept everything claimed to be truth without examining it thoroughly; neither can we afford to reject anything that bears the fruits of the Spirit of God; but we should be teachable, meek and lowly of heart. There are those who oppose everything that is not in accordance with their own ideas, and by so doing they endanger their eternal interest as verily as did the Jewish nation in their rejection of Christ. The Lord designs that our opinions shall be put to the test, that we may see the necessity of closely examining the living oracles to see whether or not we are in the faith. Many who claim to believe the truth have settled down at their ease, saying, "I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing." But Jesus says to these self-complacent ones, Thou "knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked." Let us individually inquire, Do these words describe my case? If so, the True Witness counsels us, saying, "Buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eye-salve, that thou mayest see."

Quite interesting... “our”... so EGW inclusively did not believe that her on contributing exposition of Scripture were inerrant and infallible. The wider context is indeed quite pointed against such a view.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: NJK Project] #134902
07/02/11 09:43 PM
07/02/11 09:43 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Originally Posted By: NJK Project
Quite interesting... “our”... so EGW . . . did not believe that her o[w]n . . . exposition[s] of Scripture were inerrant. . . The wider context is . . . against such a view.
I agree NJK, that is truly what she's saying. She was not infallable in her prophetic and doctrinal expositions. This is rather disturbing to most conservative Adventists like myself, but here she puts her own fallibility in black and White. Brothers and sisters, we can't let this shake our faith in her inspiration. But on the other hand we have to take this difficult statement as it reads. Her statement of her own fallibility here is certainly consistent with her counsel to base all doctrines on the Bible alone and not on her writings.

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Charity] #134906
07/02/11 11:10 PM
07/02/11 11:10 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
This shows that she rightly understood the gift of prophecy and as stated in this Post #134871 direct revelations of her fall into a different category than her “according to [her] knowledge (then)” statements

(By the way, if you reread carefully what EGW said and what this involved/implied, you would see that my other words there do have their pertinent place. As I see it, this helps to avoid quibbling follow up questions/comments (which are much more time consuming/wasting than just reading those (possibly pre-emptive) qualifying words...as is this editing a quote of my statement for that matter), as those probably overlooked points are thus emphasized and/or pointed out. So this exclusion of them actually over/under-generalizes and over/under-applies what she is saying, e.g., the relation of that statement to the above mentioned direct revelations.)

Thus, e.g., in regards to her ‘end of all prophetic time’ direct revelation (which she also indicates is not merely non-second coming prophecies (if there were/are actually any such prophecies in the Bible), that matter has been injunctively, directly and unequivocally settled by God’s Himself.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: Charity] #134925
07/03/11 03:13 PM
07/03/11 03:13 PM
His child  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020
Very Dedicated Member
TN, USA
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
Quite interesting... “our”... so EGW . . . did not believe that her o[w]n . . . exposition[s] of Scripture were inerrant. . . The wider context is . . . against such a view.
I agree NJK, that is truly what she's saying. She was not infallable in her prophetic and doctrinal expositions. This is rather disturbing to most conservative Adventists like myself, but here she puts her own fallibility in black and White. Brothers and sisters, we can't let this shake our faith in her inspiration. But on the other hand we have to take this difficult statement as it reads. Her statement of her own fallibility here is certainly consistent with her counsel to base all doctrines on the Bible alone and not on her writings.

Ellen White was teachable. She once told a man who was teaching that pork was an unclean food to keep it to himself if God was leading him to that understanding because God had not seen fit to share that teaching with the church. Then she had the vision of the health message and got on the band wagon.

So she did progress in her understanding.

But more often than not her positions are sound and not in need of change, it is how successive generations of SDA scholars have turned some of them inside out by not understanding what she wrote and explaining her views as though they were the same as how they read them like that nonsense that there is no time prophecy after 1844.

"Ignorance is sin, when knowledge can be obtained" (HR, September 1, 1866 par. 3). www.loudcry101.com
Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: His child] #134935
07/03/11 05:28 PM
07/03/11 05:28 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: His child
But more often than not her positions are sound and not in need of change, it is how successive generations of SDA scholars have turned some of them inside out by not understanding what she wrote and explaining her views as though they were the same as how they read them...

Having seen many examples of this with some SDA scholars, I agree. However many have, through proper scholarship, established, even surfacely “rescued”, many of the statements she made which seemed to not be in harmony with the Bible, or even rationally logical.

Originally Posted By: His child
...like that nonsense that there is no time prophecy after 1844.

From your responses thus far in this thread I have not seen that you have proven your case for this “nonsense” claim. And it actually makes perfect sense since ‘a day in Bible prophecy symbolically represents a year’ as proven in Church History. So you’ll also need to provide Biblical/SOP support why time prophecies beyond 1844 should be interpreted in a ‘day for day” way.

And the “sensical” fact is, as stated before, as never before, in the time of the end, the Second Coming of Jesus can occur at any fitting moment and is not restricted by time. (= Rev 22:7, 12, 20's “soon/quickly”).

Re: Obscure Prophetic Statements by EG White [Re: NJK Project] #134952
07/04/11 01:10 PM
07/04/11 01:10 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA

Thus, e.g., in regards to her ‘end of all prophetic time’ direct revelation . . .

There are two issues with her time prohibition statements: 1)Are they direct revelations as you believe or are they her views and 2) Are her statements on this as broad as the main body of conservative Adventists think. NJK, I haven't studied the first issue. Can you set out your case by underlining the parts of her quotes that you think support the notion that she was directly shown by God the correct interpretation of the 'time no longer' phrase in Revelation 10:6 and any other related passages.

Page 33 of 35 1 2 31 32 33 34 35

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!