HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,116 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 30 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 29 30
Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Rosangela] #133890
05/31/11 04:12 AM
05/31/11 04:12 AM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
With that interpretation of the 5th commandment being over weight is a sin, being underweight is a sin, buying a new car is a sin (the "new car smell" causes cancer) owning a car is a sin, (exhaust will kill you), not getting sufficient exercise is a sin, too much exercise is a sin, too much sitting is a sin, too much looking at a computer screen is a sin, not arguing with your spouse is a sin (pent-up stress kills), working in an office building is a sin (sick-building syndrome), drinking from a Lexan water bottle is a sin (BPA), using aluminum pots is a sin (aluminum)... Need I go on?

And I also fail to grasp the "[robbing] God and your neighbor of the service you could render to them" by living longer line of thought. This makes simply moving to another town a sin, since I have just robbed my neighbors of my services. Oh, wait! By NOT MOVING, I have robbed the people in the next town of my services. So it is a sin to move and a sin to not move. help surrender

Last edited by JAK; 05/31/11 04:13 AM.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Mountain Man] #133891
05/31/11 05:14 AM
05/31/11 05:14 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Bump for GC:

GC do you really believe Jesus would advice a guy down on his luck to - Get drunk and forget about it!

I thought I'd answered this already. No, I do not see Jesus saying this. However, there are others who did indeed seem to say it, would you not agree?

Jesus did not command the adultress to be stoned. Yet Moses commanded the Levites to kill "every man his neighbor" etc. following the worship of the Golden Calf. The difference? Time, place and circumstance?

Perhaps with wine it is the same difference.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Mountain Man] #133892
05/31/11 05:20 AM
05/31/11 05:20 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Bump for GC:

GC: By the way, the statement, Mike, that you made earlier about the wine recommended to Timothy for his stomach's sake being pure grape juice--that cannot be proven. The Greek word "wine" encompasses both grape juice and strong drink. Any time the word is used, it could be one or the other, or even both. There is simply no possibility of proving that the wine recommended to Timothy would have been understood by Timothy himself to mean only grape juice, and nothing more.

K: Was all that was recommended to Timothy, should that be recommended to us?

M: And, how much wine was dosed to treat stomach disorders? Did it cause drunkenness?

If you have found a scripture to answer that question of the dosage, I have not. What I have seen is relatively lacking in terms of quantification. But it says "a little wine." That is not the same as "a lot," but it does not tell us whether this would be a thimble full (like is in many cough syrups and elixirs today), or if it were a full glass. It probably does not mean a full pitcher, in any case, and therefore would be unlikely to have caused drunkenness.

For some reason, the communion wine which we partake of is given as but a thimble full. Is this to keep us from potential drunkenness? I hesitate to suggest such a sacrilegious thought. But I have often wondered why the communion ceremony boasts such small portions. I am certain the disciples with Jesus had larger ones. It was their supper.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Rosangela] #133893
05/31/11 05:36 AM
05/31/11 05:36 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
Again, where is your scripture? Prove it!

Prove what? That polygamy is adultery? Please define adultery. This is how I define it, in its obvious definition: to have sexual relations with someone if you are already married, or if the person is already married.

Quote:
If God gave instructions always for stoning, what about the "bitter water" that was given in cases of "jealousy?"

This is when the husband wasn't sure about whether adultery had occurred or not. How could someone who hadn't been proven guilty be stoned?

Quote:
And what about the cases for where a man would force a virgin?

This involves single persons, so technically it's not adultery. The penalty was marrying. smile

Quote:
I suppose, Rosangela, you would have defined that as adultery. But the Bible doesn't.

The fact that technically it isn't an adultery doesn't mean that it isn't a transgression of the seventh commandment. Any sexual immorality is a transgression of the seventh commandment and is a sin, in the same way that anger is a transgression of the fifth commandment and is a sin.

"Or do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her? For 'the two,' He says, 'shall become one flesh.' ... Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body" (1 Cor. 6:16-18).

Quote:
Now, how would these rules apply to wine? Are there similar legalizations for the use of wine, e.g. not being a priest, deacon, or king? If you were not "married" to spiritual leadership, and were not "betrothed" to leadership (e.g. a prince), was wine consumption then acceptable?

No, in view of what I said above.

Adultery can only be relations which are "illicit." Marriage, however, makes them "licit." One cannot commit adultery with his very own wife! If one has two wives, it is not adultery until he sleeps with someone else's wife, as did David with Bathsheba. David could have been with Abigail, and it would have been no adultery. He could have spent the night with Michal and no adultery. Or one of his other wives. But not Bathsheba. She did not belong to him.

Interestingly, I looked for the definition of "adultery" online, and came up with this definition from Eastman's dictionary which had been referenced on Wikipedia.

Quote:
Bible Dictionary

Adultery definition

conjugal infidelity. An adulterer was a man who had illicit intercourse with a married or a betrothed woman, and such a woman was an adulteress. Intercourse between a married man and an unmarried woman was fornication. Adultery was regarded as a great social wrong, as well as a great sin. The Mosaic law (Num. 5:11-31) prescribed that the suspected wife should be tried by the ordeal of the "water of jealousy." There is, however, no recorded instance of the application of this law. In subsequent times the Rabbis made various regulations with the view of discovering the guilty party, and of bringing about a divorce. It has been inferred from John 8:1-11 that this sin became very common during the age preceding the destruction of Jerusalem. Idolatry, covetousness, and apostasy are spoken of as adultery spiritually (Jer. 3:6, 8, 9; Ezek. 16:32; Hos. 1:2:3; Rev. 2:22). An apostate church is an adulteress (Isa. 1:21; Ezek. 23:4, 7, 37), and the Jews are styled "an adulterous generation" (Matt. 12:39). (Comp. Rev. 12.)

Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary

Here are the first three sentences of the page from Wikipedia, after which the reference to the above quote was given (emphasis added):
Quote:
Adultery (also called philandery) is a form of extramarital sex. It is sexual infidelity to one's spouse. It originally referred only to sex between a woman who was married and a person other than her spouse.[1]

According to the biblical definition, a woman's marriage or betrothal (engagement) made her off limits. For a man to lie with her would be adultery, whether or not he was already married.

On the other hand, if she were neither married nor engaged, it mattered not if he were married, it would not be adultery, but only "fornication" for him to sleep with her without marrying her first.

I do agree with JAK that this is a separate topic from that of the thread. Perhaps I have erred in bringing it up. But it is clearly one of the gray areas in the Bible, and people tend to either recognize that such areas of gray exist, or they deny them. You, Rosangela, seem to prefer not to recognize them. In this case, it is easy for me to understand why you would be unable to accept the reality of the Bible's gray area with respect to wine.

Do you know of anyone in the Bible rebuked for having plural wives? Even one? Do you know of anyone rebuked for drinking wine?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: JAK] #133900
05/31/11 02:14 PM
05/31/11 02:14 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: JAK
The argument from silence is not the basis for the assertion that alcohol consumption is not a sin. Rather, it is a response to MM's (and possibly your) assertion that Scripture specifically condemns drinking. I find NO texts which do this and, evidently, neither does anyone else.

I maintain that the use of alcohol was an accepted aspect of Jewish life, and was not viewed as sinfull. Chronic, habitual drunkeness, however, WAS condemned as sinfull.

Many arguments can be made against the use of alcohol on the basis of health (studies about middle-aged men not withstanding), social stability and responsibility, family peace and security, etc., all of which I agree with. But it is not a sin, according to Scripture.

But the argument being made is from silence. While smoking may not be mentioned in the Bible, many other things are, which aren't specifically condemned.

The argument is, if something is not specifically condemned, is that ok to do? You seem to suggest so.

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: kland] #133903
05/31/11 02:27 PM
05/31/11 02:27 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
MM: I agree. However, we both agree "drunkenness" was never permitted.

JAK: I disagree. Excessive, chronic, drunkenness was never permitted. Occasional innebriation as a result of a celebration of some sort such as a wedding or a victory was acceptable.

GC and JAK, what is "drunk"? Is it only with a blood alcohol content of .08 or greater?

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: JAK] #133905
05/31/11 02:44 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
With that interpretation of the 5th commandment being over weight is a sin, being underweight is a sin, buying a new car is a sin (the "new car smell" causes cancer) owning a car is a sin, (exhaust will kill you), not getting sufficient exercise is a sin, too much exercise is a sin, too much sitting is a sin, too much looking at a computer screen is a sin, not arguing with your spouse is a sin (pent-up stress kills), working in an office building is a sin (sick-building syndrome), drinking from a Lexan water bottle is a sin (BPA), using aluminum pots is a sin (aluminum)... Need I go on?

Yes, all habits that tend to shorten your life are sins - almost all those which you mentioned. A car (or any other means of transportation) is a need, but if you can buy one which uses a non-pollutant fuel, by all means do it.
The Bible defines sin as the transgression of the law. You said chronic, habitual drunkenness is sin. Which commandment does it violate?

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: kland] #133906
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
Quote:
MM: I agree. However, we both agree "drunkenness" was never permitted.

JAK: I disagree. Excessive, chronic, drunkenness was never permitted. Occasional innebriation as a result of a celebration of some sort such as a wedding or a victory was acceptable.

GC and JAK, what is "drunk"? Is it only with a blood alcohol content of .08 or greater?

I do not think I am willing to try to guess at what is "drunk." Proverbs allows for drinking to the point of "forgetting." Whatever level that is. Certainly, they did not have blood alcohol tests.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Green Cochoa] #133909
05/31/11 02:58 PM
05/31/11 02:58 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Adultery can only be relations which are "illicit." Marriage, however, makes them "licit."

I don't think Paul would agree with that.
"So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man" (Rom. 7:3).

Quote:
But it is clearly one of the gray areas in the Bible, and people tend to either recognize that such areas of gray exist, or they deny them. You, Rosangela, seem to prefer not to recognize them. In this case, it is easy for me to understand why you would be unable to accept the reality of the Bible's gray area with respect to wine.

I do believe there may be gray areas in the Bible. I just don't think this is one of them. As I said earlier in this thread, the Bible says, "Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God" (1 Cor. 10:31), and I don't see how drinking alcohol can be done for the glory of God (unless, of course, you need to be operated and there are no anesthetics, or alcohol is a necessary component of a medicine).

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Rosangela] #133910
05/31/11 03:08 PM
05/31/11 03:08 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
Adultery can only be relations which are "illicit." Marriage, however, makes them "licit."

I don't think Paul would agree with that.
"So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man" (Rom. 7:3).

There is no conflict here. Polygamy may have been allowed in the Bible, but polyandry never was.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 16 of 30 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 29 30

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!