HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,617
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,354 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: The Judgment of the Living - Where is it in Scripture? [Re: glenm] #134208
06/06/11 03:30 PM
06/06/11 03:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Mark, I base my opinion on Ellen's explanation of the investigative judgment of the dead and of the living. I don't trust my ability to arrive at truth without the supernatural aid and guidance of the SOP.

Re: The Judgment of the Living - Where is it in Scripture? [Re: Mountain Man] #134209
06/06/11 03:31 PM
06/06/11 03:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Glen, I agree with your insights. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to learning more from you.

Re: The Judgment of the Living - Where is it in Scripture? [Re: Mountain Man] #134214
06/06/11 06:16 PM
06/06/11 06:16 PM
G
glenm  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018
Posting New Member
Colorado, USA
I used to puzzle a lot over the sequencing of end-time events, including the judgment of the living. I was especially troubled by the various uses of the "sealing" idea. They seemed to conflict with each other.

I gradually realized that sealing means a variety of things, and that a sealing sequence is defined in the Bible and EGW. It may be helpful to look at the sequence a bit, and then apply it. I will include some of the core Bible/EGW references.

1. New believers are sealed (2 Corinthians 1:22).

2. There is a sealing before the shaking (4BC 1161). The basic idea here seems to be one of being rooted in spiritual things. In Bible terms, one illustration of this idea is found in the commissioning of Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel (Isaiah 6, Jeremiah 1, Ezekiel 3). These men needed to be on board in a basic way to be useful to God.

3. If you look at the bottom of EW 270, EGW says that just after the shaking, there is a group of people clothed with armor from their head to their feet, and they move in exact order. This also seems to be a sealing. The Bible parallel of this might be some of the stories in the latter part of the Old Testament, where groups of God's people are working together in the face of stiff opposition. Daniel's friends and Zechariah / Joshua / Zerubbabel are examples of this.

4. The fourth stage of sealing is exemplified on 7BC 976, where EGW says that God's people must go through the Sunday law test before being sealed. This appears to occur just before the general close of probation and the great time of trouble. The Bible parallel may again be individuals who are brought to the ultimate test, where they are facing death if they refuse to go along with false worship or some other tyranny. Esther is an example.

I consider both the sealing and the judgment of the living to be best understood primarily as ongoing processes rather than discrete events. I'm not sure it's meaningful to say that a person's name comes up at a fixed moment like July 29 2017, without any regard for what has happened before or after.

As best I can tell, the judgment of the living corresponds to the latter stages of sealing. I would put the sealing of Ezekiel 9 and Revelation 7 at around the third stage described above.

If we look at EW 271, it talks about how those clothed with the armor go out and proclaim the truth with great power. EGW says that this is the latter rain, and presumably the start of the loud cry.

The overall model of sealing, and of the judgment of the living, seems to be one where God sets apart certain people, who are basically rooted in Him, and asks them to work for Him, and uses their experiences to further refine them and purify them and draw them ever closer to Him. Some people drop off along the way.

This model is illustrated in passages like 1T 187 and 5T 216.

Re: The Judgment of the Living - Where is it in Scripture? [Re: glenm] #134220
06/07/11 01:25 AM
06/07/11 01:25 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Good food for thought, very good. I gather you think the measuring/two witnesses fit in the third stage more or less. Is that right?

Re: The Judgment of the Living - Where is it in Scripture? [Re: Charity] #134222
06/07/11 02:25 AM
06/07/11 02:25 AM
G
glenm  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018
Posting New Member
Colorado, USA
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
Good food for thought, very good. I gather you think the measuring/two witnesses fit in the third stage more or less. Is that right?

Yes, I would say so.

Revelation 11 is a tough nut to crack. I am familiar with its application to the French Revolution, and also familiar with what EGW says about applying it to things yet to happen in the cities (21MR 91), and how the temple is being measured even today (7BC 972).

Also, if one looks at the obvious cross references for 11:3-6, they appear to be the stories of Moses and Elijah, and both these men point to the end-time remnant and 144,000 (Malachi 4:4-6).

If I had to make a wild guess based on the data, I would say that Revelation 11 applies twice. The first time is in the abstract or symbolic form, where the witnesses are the Old/New Testaments and the "city" is atheism or humanism. The second time is yet future, and concrete, and the two witnesses are real people going into real cities and taking it on the chin.

This fits in with a "recapitulation" model that we already know to be generally true. In other words, it's possible to show that there was an abomination of desolation in Christ's time (AD 70), an abomination of desolation during the Dark Ages (538-1798), and another one yet future (5T 464).

There's an interesting EGW quote about the witnessing of the 144,000 at the end of time:

Quote:
Why were they [the 144,000] so specially singled out? Because they had to stand with a wonderful truth right before the whole world, and receive their opposition, and while receiving this opposition they were to remember that they were sons and daughters of God, that they must have Christ formed within them the hope of glory. They were ever keeping in view the great and blessed hope that is before them. What is it? It is an eternal weight of glory. Nothing could surpass it. {1SAT 72.3}

Re: The Judgment of the Living - Where is it in Scripture? [Re: glenm] #134224
06/07/11 11:29 AM
06/07/11 11:29 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
That's my understanding.

Re: The Judgment of the Living - Where is it in Scripture? [Re: Charity] #134225
06/07/11 11:55 AM
06/07/11 11:55 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
If and when you're able, I'd be grateful if you'd explain more about the sealing because it does link directly to this topic IMO.

Re: The Judgment of the Living - Where is it in Scripture? [Re: Charity] #134243
06/07/11 08:07 PM
06/07/11 08:07 PM
G
glenm  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018
Posting New Member
Colorado, USA
If and when you're able, I'd be grateful if you'd explain more about the sealing because it does link directly to this topic IMO.

There's a couple of ways of further considering what sealing is. One approach is to look at an example, and another to consider the theology (next post).

Let's look at the life of Elijah, relative to the sealing process.

1. We know that during Elijah's initial public ministry, he had sufficient courage to appear before Ahab, and enough faith to be able to heal the widow's son (1 Kings 17). These actions suggest that Elijah was basically rooted in his walk with God.

2. We know also that Elijah was deeply concerned about Israel's spiritual decline (PK 119). In terms of how Ezekiel says it, Elijah was "sighing and crying" (Ezekiel 9:4). By contrast, some of the leaders of Israel in Ezekiel's time were sun worshippers (Ezekiel 8:16).

Now, being rooted in a basic way, and sighing and crying, may not seem like much, but they are necessary preconditions to being used of God. Note for example this quote:

Quote:
The class who do not feel grieved over their own spiritual declension, nor mourn over the sins of others, will be left without the seal of God. {5T 211.1}

3. During the 3 1/2 years before the showdown on Carmel, Elijah went through a period of intense shaking. For example, we know that his own country hunted him like a wild animal (EW 162).

4. Elijah learned to depend ever more deeply on God during this time, and such dependence was responsible for the great triumph on Carmel.

5. However, Elijah's world fell apart just after this, and he fled from Jezebel. He had learned a lot, but still lacked total dependence on God (1 Kings 19, PK 167).

6. At a later time, when Elijah was being prepared for translation, God moved him around, so that he wouldn't settle down and get comfortable (GW 269).

In this example, I think we can define the sealing process in terms of (a) choosing God's way instead of the world, and (b) learning to depend ever more deeply on God over time.

Last edited by glenm; 06/07/11 08:08 PM.
Re: The Judgment of the Living - Where is it in Scripture? [Re: Charity] #134244
06/07/11 08:31 PM
06/07/11 08:31 PM
G
glenm  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018
Posting New Member
Colorado, USA

What about the theology of sealing?

The way I would define it is this: The sealing process consists of us learning to depend on and cooperate with Christ our great High Priest as He cleanses us from all sin.

Such a definition implies that the sealing process is deeply intertwined with the sanctuary doctrine.

There are a couple of EGW quotes that talk about sealing in relation to the antitypical Day of Atonement. For example:

Quote:
Those that overcome the world, the flesh, and the devil, will be the favored ones who shall receive the seal of the living God. Those whose hands are not clean, whose hearts are not pure, will not have the seal of the living God. Those who are planning sin and acting it will be passed by. Only those who, in their attitude before God, are filling the position of those who are repenting and confessing their sins in the great anti-typical day of atonement, will be recognized and marked as worthy of God's protection. The names of those who are steadfastly looking and waiting and watching for the appearing of their Saviour--more earnestly and wishfully than they who wait for the morning--will be numbered with those who are sealed. Those who, while having all the light of truth flashing upon their souls, should have works corresponding to their avowed faith, but are allured by sin, setting up idols in their hearts, corrupting their souls before God, and polluting those who unite with them in sin, will have their names blotted out of the book of life, and be left in midnight darkness, having no oil in their vessels with their lamps. "Unto you that fear My name shall the Sun of Righteousness arise with healing in His wings." {TM 445.1}

Our cooperation and dependence on Christ are not automatic things. We may simply choose to not cooperate, and hold on to some of our cherished sins. Or we may try to do it all ourselves, or go to the other extreme and assume that Christ will magically change us while we passively stand by.

There's another quote that touches on some of these points:

Quote:
What are you doing, brethren, in the great work of preparation? Those who are uniting with the world are receiving the worldly mold and preparing for the mark of the beast. Those who are distrustful of self, who are humbling themselves before God and purifying their souls by obeying the truth these are receiving the heavenly mold and preparing for the seal of God in their foreheads. When the decree goes forth and the stamp is impressed, their character will remain pure and spotless for eternity. {5T 216.1}

Now is the time to prepare. The seal of God will never be placed upon the forehead of an impure man or woman. It will never be placed upon the forehead of the ambitious, world-loving man or woman. It will never be placed upon the forehead of men or women of false tongues or deceitful hearts. All who receive the seal must be without spot before God--candidates for heaven. Go forward, my brethren and sisters. I can only write briefly upon these points at this time, merely calling your attention to the necessity of preparation. Search the Scriptures for yourselves, that you may understand the fearful solemnity of the present hour. {5T 216.2}

There's a final quote that links together sealing in a spiritual context with sealing as physical protection:

Quote:
I also saw that many do not realize what they must be in order to live in the sight of the Lord without a high priest in the sanctuary through the time of trouble. Those who receive the seal of the living God and are protected in the time of trouble must reflect the image of Jesus fully. {EW 71.1}

I believe that the judgment of the living occurs during the final stages of sealing, and is an evaluation of whether a person has learned to cooperate with and trust in Christ.

Not everyone passes the test. For example, EGW talks various places about people who recant (GC 608), and those who once believed but end up worshipping at the saints' feet (WLF 12).

Re: The Judgment of the Living - Where is it in Scripture? [Re: glenm] #134274
06/08/11 02:11 PM
06/08/11 02:11 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Originally Posted By: glenm
There's a couple of ways of further considering what sealing is. One approach is to look at an example. . .

Any comments on Moses' example? David's? Since he respresents the Branch?

Also what's your view of the relationship between the 'measuring' and the sealing?

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!