HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,252 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 23 of 30 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 29 30
Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: JAK] #134399
06/11/11 05:21 PM
06/11/11 05:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, I, too, totally dig your chart. Nice work. However, I'm surprised you believe she applied her forbid/warning/threat comment exclusively to people in leadership positions. In the same article, just three paragraphs preceding the one under examination, she wrote:

Quote:
With the awful results of indulgence in intoxicating drink before us, how is it that any man or woman who claims to believe in the word of God, can venture to touch, taste, or handle wine or strong drink? Such a practice is certainly out of harmony with their professed faith. {RH, May 1, 1894 par. 6}

The Lord has given special directions in his word in reference to the use of wine and strong drink. He has forbidden their use, and enforced his prohibitions with strong warnings and threatenings. {RH, May 1, 1894 par. 9}

I see no indication she intended for us to assume "any man or woman who claims to believe in the word of God" excludes everyone except people in leadership positions.

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Mountain Man] #134401
06/11/11 05:59 PM
06/11/11 05:59 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Either Jesus or Satan showed her what she saw in vision.

Those are not necessarily the only two options.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: JAK] #134404
06/11/11 06:26 PM
06/11/11 06:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: JAK
M: Either Jesus or Satan showed her what she saw in vision.

J: Those are not necessarily the only two options.

Did she ever use "I saw" to mean something other than Jesus showed her in a dream or vision?

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Mountain Man] #134435
06/12/11 02:39 PM
06/12/11 02:39 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
The statement relates to the source of her visions, not what she said about them. You said that the visions came either from God or from Satan. I maintain that there may be other explanations for her "visions". It does not have to be exclusively one or the other, God or Satan.

But a new thread should be started if you want to continue this train of thought. (Or dig up an old one, since it has been discussed on MSDAOL before.)

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Mountain Man] #134445
06/13/11 12:20 AM
06/13/11 12:20 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
GC, I, too, totally dig your chart. Nice work. However, I'm surprised you believe she applied her forbid/warning/threat comment exclusively to people in leadership positions. In the same article, just three paragraphs preceding the one under examination, she wrote:

Quote:
With the awful results of indulgence in intoxicating drink before us, how is it that any man or woman who claims to believe in the word of God, can venture to touch, taste, or handle wine or strong drink? Such a practice is certainly out of harmony with their professed faith. {RH, May 1, 1894 par. 6}

The Lord has given special directions in his word in reference to the use of wine and strong drink. He has forbidden their use, and enforced his prohibitions with strong warnings and threatenings. {RH, May 1, 1894 par. 9}

I see no indication she intended for us to assume "any man or woman who claims to believe in the word of God" excludes everyone except people in leadership positions.

Mike,

I agree with you, actually. What my chart is doing is proving that Ellen White is correct in saying that the Bible says what it does say. However, what Ellen White does NOT say in that same statement is also important. She does not try to reapply the Bible's words for the Biblical time period. She does, however, in strong words--as you have aptly pointed out--indicate that we, today, should be amply instructed by the Bible to avoid alcohol completely. I agree. I do not think it is necessary today (or would rarely be necessary) for anyone to consume alcohol.

Uriah Smith had his leg amputated in 1844, when he was only about 12 years old. Because of his age, he did not get the relief usually given to adults in the form of alcohol to deaden the pain. The procedure took about 20 minutes, as I understand. No anesthesia. Ouch! Fortunately, such a circumstance as this would be virtually non-existent in today's modern countries. We have anaesthesia.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Mountain Man] #134459
06/13/11 02:22 PM
06/13/11 02:22 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: kland
K: Maybe it (Deut 14:26 and Prov 31:6-7) doesn't accurately reflect the mind of God.

M: Why not? What does it mean?

K: Have you considered the Hunter story?

M: In the Humane Hunter story the father teaches his son how to kill animals in a humane manner. How does this apply to the texts above? Bear in mind Ellen wrote: "The Lord has given special directions in his word in reference to the use of wine and strong drink. He has forbidden their use, and enforced his prohibitions with strong warnings and threatenings."

K: Yes, I agree with Ellen White, believe that she was correct in that the Bible forbids it regardless of whether one is ignorant of where it says so or not. I also believe the Bible forbids killing people. Do you see the connection? Just because He forbids something, doesn't mean it's not in the Bible nor does it mean He won't instruct people how to do the forbidden thing (which they insist on doing) in as least of a damaging manner as possible. Whether this relates to taking the tithe money and buying strong drink would require further study. But, "strong drink" doesn't leave much room for grapejuice, does it?

No, I don't see a connection between "do not murder" and "do not drink alcohol". Jesus never commanded anyone to commit murder. Nor did He ever permit it or tolerate in the Humane Hunter sense. Jesus did, on the other hand, command godly people to kill ungodly people. For example, combat and capital. I realize you disagree.

As for "strong drink" in Deut 14:26 and Prov 31:6-7 I suspect the translators botched it up. "I saw that God had especially guarded the Bible; yet when copies of it were few, learned men had in some instances changed the words . . ." {EW 220.2} Either this is a valid explanation or JAK is right about Ellen being wrong. Since she said, "I saw", it places things in peril, that is, it implies we cannot trust it when she says "I saw". Either Jesus or Satan showed her what she saw in vision.

You changed "kill" to "murder", but maybe you are objecting to my statement that the Bible forbids "killing". Although I don't recall you as one attempting to distinguish between the two, it has become quite amusing when others do.

You did a good job showing from the Bible where it forbids drinking. Just like Tom has shown you where killing was never a part of God's government nor was it ever intended for the Israelites to kill. It was only because of the hardness of their hearts that He instructed them how to carry on what they insisted on doing. Just because you can find places in the Bible where it talks about drinking, polygamy, and killing, doesn't mean it is God's will. I've heard some say that because sodomy is in the Bible, that means it's ok. Do we have to conclude Ellen White must be wrong about these things when she says otherwise? Or is it something to do with how we are reading it?

Just like it comes across to me that JAK and GC have some motivation for wanting the Bible to support drinking, you must have some motivation for the Bible to support killing. Why is that so? Why so, for something which is so contrary to God's character? I recall in grade school believing with great satisfaction, that another kid who was being mean, that God was going to get him and burn him! That made me happy. But it also gave me a background sense of fear of what God would do to me if I should step over the line. But now, I've come to realize that God is not like that at all, that my belief was due to my selfish reasons. Is there something of your belief the same way? Is there something in each of us of a similar nature, whether it be God getting our enemies or drinking or smoking or having plural wives, which causes us to read into the Bible and insist it says a certain thing regardless of anything which says contrary?

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Green Cochoa] #134460
06/13/11 02:25 PM
06/13/11 02:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, I think it is clear she said God never permitted or tolerated alcohol consumption. Which means Deut 14:26 and Prov 31:6-7 cannot be taken literally. Again, I suspect the translators goofed.

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: Mountain Man] #134463
06/13/11 03:22 PM
06/13/11 03:22 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
GC, I think it is clear she said God never permitted or tolerated alcohol consumption. Which means Deut 14:26 and Prov 31:6-7 cannot be taken literally. Again, I suspect the translators goofed.

If the translators goofed, then there is no such thing as alcohol mentioned in the entire Bible, Mike.

The Hebrew word used in those texts is "shekar." There is nothing tame about that beverage.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: kland] #134465
06/13/11 03:30 PM
06/13/11 03:30 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Just like it comes across to me that JAK and GC have some motivation for wanting the Bible to support drinking, you must have some motivation for the Bible to support killing. Why is that so? Why so, for something which is so contrary to God's character? I recall in grade school believing with great satisfaction, that another kid who was being mean, that God was going to get him and burn him! That made me happy. But it also gave me a background sense of fear of what God would do to me if I should step over the line. But now, I've come to realize that God is not like that at all, that my belief was due to my selfish reasons. Is there something of your belief the same way? Is there something in each of us of a similar nature, whether it be God getting our enemies or drinking or smoking or having plural wives, which causes us to read into the Bible and insist it says a certain thing regardless of anything which says contrary?

What do you surmise about my motivations here, kland? I do not drink. I have never drunk. I will never drink alcohol. I am not interested, even, in doing so. The practice is repugnant to me. No one in my (immediate) family drinks. I am happy when I have been mocked for not drinking when associating with others who do.

What could be my motivation, kland? I have taken active roles in educating people about the evils of drink. Why would I want the Bible to teach opposite to how I feel about it?

The fact is, kland, I don't. I don't want the Bible to teach such. It doesn't, either. It clearly outlines the woes of drink. BUT, I must accept the Bible's clear teachings without allowing my own biases and/or prejudices to prevent me from understanding them. This means being honest with myself and with the Word of God. That honesty, kland, is what leads me to recognize that the Bible does indeed allow certain things which to me seem counter-intuitive.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Christian Living & Alcohol [Re: kland] #134470
06/13/11 07:41 PM
06/13/11 07:41 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Just like it comes across to me that JAK and GC have some motivation for wanting the Bible to support drinking...

kland, this is the second time I have had to defend myself against your scurrilous attacks. I consider this to be slanderous and cyber bullying, not to mention un-Christian. You are unable to defend your viewpoint with legitemate points from Scripture, so you resort to attacking the character of your opponents.

I am lodging a complaint with the Administrators of MSDAOL, AND I am requesting an apology, AND that you cease and desist from these actions. If you can not discuss a viewpoint without attacking the opponent, stay out of the arguement.

In my opinion your actions contravene the following Forum Rules and notations:

2 - No one will attack another individual. Others will not be directly attacked on the basis of their knowledge, beliefs, or doctrinal understanding. They will not be referred to as a heretic, etc. unless you can clearly back it up from their own public writings from their own book or web site.

3 - A person's standing before God, and their salvation will not be questioned.

4 - People will be allowed to express disagreements without fear of being attacked or of being judged. One may state that a position, or fact, is wrong. This addresses the issue, and not the person. But, there is an expectation that one who does this will then propose a correct fact or position. People have a choice as to whether they concentrate on the negative, or on the positive. People can choose to be positive. In addition, none of us really have all truth on a subject. If we seek to understand another view, we can understand why others might find it to be incorrect. It really does not hurt truth to acknowledge where we don't have it all sewed up, and the other person has an understandable point, even if wrong.

5 - Strong disagreements will be expressed in an attitude of civility, and mutual respect.

Also the disclaimer: We at Maritime SDA OnLine also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

Page 23 of 30 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 29 30

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!