HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,636
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 7
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,444 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Why cant we Forgive and Restore as we should but chose to Condemn and Destroy? #134543
06/17/11 09:58 AM
06/17/11 09:58 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
I guess I just dont get it. We are supposed to forgive and yet we dont, we say we will till something happens and then things change. Arnold Schwarzenegger's secret comes out as the boy grows and reveals by his looks who the father is, and Maria Shriver forgives the maid, but destroys him and their marriage.

I was amazed when Tiger Woods took a beating (literaly) from his wife and crashed into the tree unconcious. I thought, he will never be forgiven, but it seemed like he tried to make it right and went to counseling, but something went wrong, and his wife gave him another beating with her lawyer and took what she could and left. Needless to say, Tiger was not forgiven or restored by his wife, and he seems to be going downhill fast since then.....

You might say oh, that is just how others react, but I see the same thing with Adventist. A sin such as adultery happens, and there is no forgiveness, no restoration. Instead there is a run for the lawyers, a destructive struggle with much comdemnation all around, and a devastating result for marriage, children, friends and to spiritual and emotional health.

Why do I see so many Adventist (or Christian marriages) fail when they are professed to be a match made-in heaven? When they have done everything right before getting married (waiting andnot having sex before marriage, reading Christian marriage books, studying each others character, doing their research, going to pre-marital counselling etc..) Why do Adventists end up forgetting about forgiveness and restoration and end up in bitter condemnation of each other, separation - divorce?

Am I missing something, or is there a reason we dont forgive each other our sins, especially when it comes to adultery.

Re: Why cant we Forgive and Restore as we should but chose to Condemn and Destroy? [Re: Rick H] #134554
06/17/11 03:37 PM
06/17/11 03:37 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
The Good Book says...
Originally Posted By: The Bible
For jealousy is the rage of a man: therefore he will not spare in the day of vengeance. (Proverbs 6:34)

Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame. (Song of Solomon 8:6)

And I will judge thee, as women that break wedlock and shed blood are judged; and I will give thee blood in fury and jealousy. (Ezekiel 16:38)

Clearly, jealousy is a big thing here. And I'm not sure that it's all bad. God Himself is Jealous.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why cant we Forgive and Restore as we should but chose to Condemn and Destroy? [Re: Rick H] #134557
06/17/11 04:59 PM
06/17/11 04:59 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Adultery involves a quite severe and really, unless one is brainwashed, “unforgettable”, betrayal of friendship, love, trust and more. And in our day and age, and to avoid someone getting cheated either way, a judicial process is further needed to “administer” a divorce.

My view is, the question should (continue to essentially) be: ‘Why commit adultery??’. It does not just happen. There thus indeed is an “unforgivable” element of knowing and deliberate willingness involved here that does greatly poisons that marriage relationship. It is incontrovertible that the one being cheated on is effectively not loved.

As a comparative example, when one lies to, or even steals from, someone else there is usually an underlying reason, of e.g., wanting to protect/shield oneself or obtain something which may even be needed. So it is somewhat easier to forgive this. However in murder, (vs. killing/“manslaughter”), there really is no such “acceptable justification” and so the Biblical penalty is rightly capital punishment. In cases of adultery, that underlying reason is only an absence of actual love and that is what a marriage relationship is truly based upon. (And in such cases, even God judicially legislates that an “unloved” party should be doubly compensated (Deut 21:15-17). This would civilly translate (in a Christian society) in the at-fault party receiving only 1/3 of the “common wealth”).

As alluded to by Green Cochoa, I see that God understands all of this and why He has chosen to depict His relationship with His people as a marriage, as it involves the same free-willed choice of love but also the same hurt when adultery occurs. We were created as emotional beings, indeed here in God’s “likeness”, and it is not to be surprising, or even to be in any way stoically suppressed, that adultery is most hurtful and one is really free to react in whatever way the deem best to restore/maintain their emotional “sanity.”

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why cant we Forgive and Restore as we should but chose to Condemn and Destroy? [Re: Green Cochoa] #134566
06/18/11 02:06 AM
06/18/11 02:06 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
The Good Book says...
Originally Posted By: The Bible
For jealousy is the rage of a man: therefore he will not spare in the day of vengeance. (Proverbs 6:34)

Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame. (Song of Solomon 8:6)

And I will judge thee, as women that break wedlock and shed blood are judged; and I will give thee blood in fury and jealousy. (Ezekiel 16:38)

Clearly, jealousy is a big thing here. And I'm not sure that it's all bad. God Himself is Jealous.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
But how do you say to a Christian or Adventist brother (or sister) forgive seventy times seven, and then say of course except in the case of jealousy....help me understand this dichotomy which clearly has to be in a persons mind at this point, in my opinion...

Re: Why cant we Forgive and Restore as we should but chose to Condemn and Destroy? [Re: NJK Project] #134567
06/18/11 02:09 AM
06/18/11 02:09 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: NJK Project
Adultery involves a quite severe and really, unless one is brainwashed, “unforgettable”, betrayal of friendship, love, trust and more. And in our day and age, and to avoid someone getting cheated either way, a judicial process is further needed to “administer” a divorce.

My view is, the question should (continue to essentially) be: ‘Why commit adultery??’. It does not just happen. There thus indeed is an “unforgivable” element of knowing and deliberate willingness involved here that does greatly poisons that marriage relationship. It is incontrovertible that the one being cheated on is effectively not loved.

As a comparative example, when one lies to, or even steals from, someone else there is usually an underlying reason, of e.g., wanting to protect/shield oneself or obtain something which may even be needed. So it is somewhat easier to forgive this. However in murder, (vs. killing/“manslaughter”), there really is no such “acceptable justification” and so the Biblical penalty is rightly capital punishment. In cases of adultery, that underlying reason is only an absence of actual love and that is what a marriage relationship is truly based upon. (And in such cases, even God judicially legislates that an “unloved” party should be doubly compensated (Deut 21:15-17). This would civilly translate (in a Christian society) in the at-fault party receiving only 1/3 of the “common wealth”).

As alluded to by Green Cochoa, I see that God understands all of this and why He has chosen to depict His relationship with His people as a marriage, as it involves the same free-willed choice of love but also the same hurt when adultery occurs. We were created as emotional beings, indeed here in God’s “likeness”, and it is not to be surprising, or even to be in any way stoically suppressed, that adultery is most hurtful and one is really free to react in whatever way the deem best to restore/maintain their emotional “sanity.”
But then why commit any of the sins against our fellowman, they are all betrayals of a trust at some point....

Re: Why cant we Forgive and Restore as we should but chose to Condemn and Destroy? [Re: Rick H] #134574
06/18/11 03:59 AM
06/18/11 03:59 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
Originally Posted By: Rick H
But how do you say to a Christian or Adventist brother (or sister) forgive seventy times seven, and then say of course except in the case of jealousy....help me understand this dichotomy which clearly has to be in a persons mind at this point, in my opinion...

According to my exegetical understanding here, this 490 times of forgiveness involves the person doing the wrong genuinely asking for forgiveness for each of those 490 times. And, I do see it as being probationary (i.e., towards effectuating change or else), as was Israel’s 490 years, to indicate that one should be forgiving towards repenting persons. And as sins like adultery, murder, parental insolence, were to be, by a perfect law, capitally punished upon its first occurrence, Jesus may only have had in mind here, non “capital” sins.

Indeed Jesus did instruct: ‘3 heightening strikes and your, literally “out”’ in Matt 18:15-17&18, manifestly for such “capital sins” that merited under God’s Law, ‘one to be tangibly “cut off”, even if not by death.

God’s method for dealing with such marital issues of even just suspected Jealousy in Num 5:11-31are quite interesting and indicative to how He considers this to be most serious, in for matter of just peace of mind.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project
Re: Why cant we Forgive and Restore as we should but chose to Condemn and Destroy? [Re: Rick H] #134575
06/18/11 04:00 AM
06/18/11 04:00 AM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
But then why commit any of the sins against our fellowman, they are all betrayals of a trust at some point....

In a way yes, however unlike in a marital relationship, other people than one’s spouse are not so intimately, emotionally confronted with that type of most cutting betrayal, manifested on various and unique levels. And paramountly, adultery was a capital sin, and thus fully under a single offense probation, if the victim so preferred.

Re: Why cant we Forgive and Restore as we should but chose to Condemn and Destroy? [Re: NJK Project] #134624
06/20/11 12:50 PM
06/20/11 12:50 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA

In a way yes, however unlike in a marital relationship, other people than one’s spouse are not so intimately, emotionally confronted with that type of most cutting betrayal, manifested on various and unique levels. And paramountly, adultery was a capital sin, and thus fully under a single offense probation, if the victim so preferred.
Still sin is sin, and if a person confesses and repents we must be ready to forgive. The issue with Samuel Koranteng-Pipim is before us, and if he has confessed and repented, those connected to him should forgive and restore him in their sight..

Re: Why cant we Forgive and Restore as we should but chose to Condemn and Destroy? [Re: Rick H] #134631
06/20/11 09:13 PM
06/20/11 09:13 PM
NJK Project  Offline
Banned Member
Dedicated Member
Laval, Quebec
The Biblical teaching (i.e., beyond one’s personal opinions/preference and/or “quaint” maxims) is that (a) some sins were to be judged more severely than others and (b) adultery was Biblical grounds for divorce, as even anchored by Jesus. So it is up to the victimized spouse to make that decision, who most likely will be acting with full knowledge of the truth and fact, especially if that at-fault spouse was truly honest in their confession and plea for forgiveness. If the victimized spouse cannot emotionally/psychologically/intimately live with this sin, even if confessed, and even if forgiven, (as there still is a looming/potential penalty for even forgiven sins (=the fist death)), then that Biblically is their righteous call.

Also, especially in our day and age, adultery/being promiscuous, can be a vital issue of life and death, so I see it as wise for God to allow divorce in such case, especially back in those earlier days when a form of those diseases could not be medically diagnosed.

Re: Why cant we Forgive and Restore as we should but chose to Condemn and Destroy? [Re: NJK Project] #134643
06/21/11 09:06 PM
06/21/11 09:06 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
The Biblical teaching (i.e., beyond one’s personal opinions/preference and/or “quaint” maxims) is that (a) some sins were to be judged more severely than others and (b) adultery was Biblical grounds for divorce, as even anchored by Jesus. So it is up to the victimized spouse to make that decision, who most likely will be acting with full knowledge of the truth and fact, especially if that at-fault spouse was truly honest in their confession and plea for forgiveness. If the victimized spouse cannot emotionally/psychologically/intimately live with this sin, even if confessed, and even if forgiven, (as there still is a looming/potential penalty for even forgiven sins (=the fist death)), then that Biblically is their righteous call.

Also, especially in our day and age, adultery/being promiscuous, can be a vital issue of life and death, so I see it as wise for God to allow divorce in such case, especially back in those earlier days when a form of those diseases could not be medically diagnosed.
Any verses that you feel make adultery as judged more severely than others..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!