Originally Posted By: Rick H
Originally Posted By: NJK Project
The Biblical teaching (i.e., beyond one’s personal opinions/preference and/or “quaint” maxims) is that (a) some sins were to be judged more severely than others and (b) adultery was Biblical grounds for divorce, as even anchored by Jesus. So it is up to the victimized spouse to make that decision, who most likely will be acting with full knowledge of the truth and fact, especially if that at-fault spouse was truly honest in their confession and plea for forgiveness. If the victimized spouse cannot emotionally/psychologically/intimately live with this sin, even if confessed, and even if forgiven, (as there still is a looming/potential penalty for even forgiven sins (=the fist death)), then that Biblically is their righteous call.

Also, especially in our day and age, adultery/being promiscuous, can be a vital issue of life and death, so I see it as wise for God to allow divorce in such case, especially back in those earlier days when a form of those diseases could not be medically diagnosed.
Any verses that you feel make adultery as judged more severely than others..

As I stated before, the Legislative fact that they were to be capitally punished by death while most other sins could be only confessed once a year during the Passover service with of course the “committer” of that sin living on. (I think you can locate/recall those specific verses.) Even David had to indirectly incur a penalty of death for his adultery.

And in the episode of the woman caught in adultery, Jesus did not actually do away with this capital penalty. He just (honorifically(?)) upheld the equally legally binding requirement of having righteous executors, (purported “witnesses” were already there), which may have always been the express intention of God through the required significant “laying on of hands” by witnesses and other people executing these capital sentences. E.g., Deut 17:8 & Lev 24:14. Obviously if one is themselves harboring sins, then they cannot take part in this prerequisite priestly function. Indeed a priest harboring sins while ministering would be struck down by God during particularly the Day of Atonement service. And these sin-punishment, extraordinary Capital procedure match the elevated solemness of the Day of Judgement Day of Atonement. So, as just demonstratively indicated, “harborers of sins keep away!

Last edited by NJK Project; 06/22/11 12:55 AM.

“Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.” Matt 25:45 NJK Project