HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 25 26
Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13654
05/11/05 06:00 AM
05/11/05 06:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mike, I didn't see a response to this, although I've asked a couple of times. I'm interested in your thinking on this, thanks. (following is repost)
---------------------------------------------------

Mike, here's what I wrote, "You seem to be implying that when one is born again, one is ready for Christ's coming. That's not what SDA's believe. Am I misunderstanding you?"

This is because you wrote, "Can we read about these faulty individuals and conclude that they are converted and born again, advancing from one stage of perfection to another? Can we conclude that, if Jesus had returned then, that they would have been taken to heaven?"

There's a difference between being ready for heaven on the event of one's death, and being ready for Christ's return. This is a foundational point of SDAism. Your statement seems to imply that one is ready for Christ's return if one is born again. At least, that's how I understood this part:

"Can we conclude that, if Jesus had returned then, that they would have been taken to heaven?"

Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13655
05/11/05 05:01 PM
05/11/05 05:01 PM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Below are what I can find about MM's stand on Salvation etc.

I quote this to save other's time and energy and to see if MM still holds these ideas.

MM's answers are bolded:

1. In general, how do you think your view differs from a conventional Adventist view? What would you consider a conventional Adventist view to be?

The conventional SDA view suggests we are born again and then we spend the rest of our lives discovering and overcoming our unknown moral imperfections. My view suggests we crucify our moral imperfections before we are born again.

2. How do you define "morally perfect"?

Free from moral imperfections or defective traits of character.

3. How do you define "dead to sin"?

We do not and cannot commit a known sin while we are walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man.

4. How do you define "free from moral imperfections"?

Most of us are born with an inherent sense of what is morally right and wrong. Being free from moral imperfections means we do not violate our convictions and conscience.

5. What do you mean by "crucify" our sinful defects?

Confess and forsake them.

6. Why does imitating Jesus not include discovering unknown defective traits of character?

Because Jesus did not possess them to discover and overcome.

7. Could you expand on this statement: "To commit a known sin we must resurrect, as it were, the mind of the old man. But the free gift of repentance restores the relationship our sin severs."

We cannot commit a known sin in the mind of the new man, therefore we must resurrect the mind of our old man, which died and was buried when we were born again. When we commit a known sin we disconnect from Jesus, but repentance gives God the right to pardon and restore us to the mind of the new man. The mind of the old man dies and is buried again.

Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13656
05/14/05 09:00 PM
05/14/05 09:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes, the above summary of the view I favor is correct. In addition to these insights, it is also helpful to define the differences between inherited and cultivated defects and imperfections. I do not believe we are held accountable for the sinful propensities we inherit. Instead, I believe we are held accountable for the ones we cultivate ourselves, the ones we convert into character. The uncultivated tendencies do not count as character defects.

Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13657
05/14/05 10:16 PM
05/14/05 10:16 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
I believe we will be held accountable for our inherited sinful traits if we do not overcome them.

quote:
Amazing Grace
Page 254

Those who put their trust in Christ are not to be enslaved by any hereditary or cultivated habit or tendency. Instead of being held in bondage to the lower nature, they are to rule every appetite and passion. God has not left us to battle with evil in our own finite strength. Whatever may be our inherited or cultivated tendencies to wrong, we can overcome through the power that He is ready to impart.

The strongest temptation cannot excuse sin. However great the pressure brought to bear upon the soul, transgression is our own act. It is not in the power of earth or hell to compel anyone to do evil. Satan attacks us at our weak points, but we need not be overcome. However severe or unexpected the assault, God has provided help for us, and in His strength we may conquer.

How wonderful it is that we have the promise that none need despair over their inherited sinful ways. However when we are convicted of our inherited sinful ways we are to repent and confess. Praise God for His promises to forgive.

quote:
Our High Calling
Page 92

None need despair because of the inherited tendencies to evil, but when the Spirit of God convicts of sin, the wrongdoer must repent and confess and forsake the evil. Faithful sentinels are on guard to direct souls in right paths.

Either the evil angels or the angels of God are controlling the minds of men. Our minds are given to the control of God, or to the control of the powers of darkness; and it will be well for us to inquire where we are standing today--whether under the bloodstained banner of Prince Emmanuel, or under the black banner of the powers of darkness.

To be clothed in white raiment and in order not to be blotted out of the book of life this says we are not only to overcome our cultivated tendencies but our inherited tendencies. Isn't God a wonderful helper? I think it is so wonderful that God has given us all this help overcome ALL sin.

quote:
"Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white: for they are worthy. He that overcometh his own inherited and cultivated tendencies), the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life; but I will confess his name before My Father, and before His angels" [Rev. 3:4, 5]. {19MR 384.1}

Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13658
05/15/05 02:55 PM
05/15/05 02:55 PM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Amen, Avalee! No spot or wrinkle can be over-looked, therefore He must do the looking for us, as we have a nasty habit of justifying ourselves.
It is a all too self-centered tendency not to expose our souls, even to God. Therein lies the danger, I feel, in any claim of purity from defects of any kind before being given a new heart at rebirth.

Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13659
05/16/05 05:03 AM
05/16/05 05:03 AM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
There's a great sermon by Dennis Priebe that touches on a lot of these things, called "What Is Sin?", at

http://www.advent-hope.org/?module=audio&func=display&aid=142

I especially like the way he differentiates between "evil" and "guilt," and between "temptation" and "sin."

Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13660
05/16/05 08:00 PM
05/16/05 08:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
If we are guilty of sinning because we inherit the fallen propensities of our parents, then Jesus, who also inherited them, was guilty of sinning. Obviously, therefore, we are not guilty of sinning simply because we inherited sinful nature. We are not guilty until we act out the unholy thoughts and feelings generated and communicated by sinful nature. If we habitually do this we cultivate sinful character, and it is character that determines our eternal reward in judgment.

Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13661
05/16/05 10:26 PM
05/16/05 10:26 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Mike,

When Ellen White says that Jesus had no propensities to sin, she obviously refers to both inherited and cultivated propensities.

Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13662
05/21/05 12:38 PM
05/21/05 12:38 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
We will be held accountable for even our evil thoughts, not just acting them out.

Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

This scripture here makes it very plain that we can committ sin also by our evil thoughts.

Re: Hidden Character Defects! What? #13663
08/09/05 08:31 PM
08/09/05 08:31 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I haven't read the whole thread through, but about a week ago I was reading 1 John and I thought of you MM. I've been meaning to ask you since then, how does this passage fit into your understanding of conversion and perfection -

"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." 1 John 1:8.

Page 3 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 25 26

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!