HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,601
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: Rosangela] #136827
10/15/11 01:21 AM
10/15/11 01:21 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

Acts 3:15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.

Acts 3:26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you,

Acts 4:10 by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead,

Acts 5:30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

Acts 13:29- 30 they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a sepulchre. But God raised him from the dead:

Romans 6:4 as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

1 Cor. 15:15 we have testified of God that he raised up Christ:

2 Cor. 4:14 Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus,

Galatians 1:1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;

Eph. 1:19-20 the working of his mighty power, Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

1 Thess. 1:9-10 serve the living and true God;
And wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136828
10/15/11 01:54 AM
10/15/11 01:54 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Well said, Rosangela, and nice quotes. I agree. I sort of see it as the Father saying to Jesus, "You have my permission to raise yourself now. It is time!" And Jesus promptly does so.

This came up in another discussion. But it seems some here believe Christ was conscious while He was in the tomb.
It's as if they believe He was two persons in one body. The human person and another divine person. So the human person dies, but the divine person just keeps right on living, hearing, responding.

I don't see it that way.
Christ was FULLY human and fully divine, not split into two separate compartments.

When He died He was FULLY unconscious. To say otherwise would be saying He didn't really die.

Whatever, "His divinity did not die" means, it did NOT mean that half of Him just kept right on living in a conscious way.

Once Jesus died, His experiment with mortal humanity was ended. His divinity did not die, only His humanity did. His divinity was not subject to God the Father as His humanity was. It was Jesus' divinity that raised Him from the grave.

When Christ took on humanity He took it on for eternity. He took Adam's place at the head of the human race to regain the inheritance that mankind lost through Adam.

I don't think we have any comprehension what it really cost Christ to redeem mankind. It wasn't just a 33 year experiment with being human, He Who was equal with God, Who was God with the Father, gave up a lot to redeem us. Yes, He was highly exalted when He returned to heaven!!! But still He bears limitation now, having taken upon Himself humanity, that He didn't have before.

Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: dedication] #136831
10/15/11 05:00 AM
10/15/11 05:00 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Jesus did have His divinity while on earth.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Jesus gave the rabbis an evidence of His divinity by showing that He read their hearts. Ever since the healing at Bethesda they had been plotting His death. Thus they were themselves breaking the law which they professed to be defending. "Did not Moses give you the law," He said, "and yet none of you keepeth the law? Why go ye about to kill Me?" {DA 456.2}

Jesus was the Majesty of heaven, the beloved Commander of the angels, whose delight was to do his pleasure. He was one with God, in the bosom of the Father; yet He thought it not a thing to be desired to be equal with God while man was lost in sin and misery. He stepped down from his throne. He left his crown and royal sceptre, and clothed his divinity with humanity. He humbled Himself even to the death of the cross, that man might be exalted to a seat with Him upon his throne. In Him we have a complete offering, an infinite sacrifice, a mighty Saviour, who is able to save unto the uttermost all that come unto God by Him. In love He comes to reveal the Father, to reconcile man to God, to make him a new creature, renewed after the image of Him who created him. {BEcho, March 15, 1893 par. 2}

To say "clothed His divinity" is not the same as saying "left His divinity" or "gave up His divinity." His divinity, which He ever retained, is what raised Him from the dead.

Still seeking to give a true direction to her faith, Jesus declared, "I am the resurrection, and the life." In Christ is life, original, unborrowed, underived. "He that hath the Son hath life." 1 John 5:12. The divinity of Christ is the believer's assurance of eternal life. "He that believeth in Me," said Jesus, "though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in Me shall never die. Believest thou this?" Christ here looks forward to the time of His second coming. Then the righteous dead shall be raised incorruptible, and the living righteous shall be translated to heaven without seeing death. The miracle which Christ was about to perform, in raising Lazarus from the dead, would represent the resurrection of all the righteous dead. By His word and His works He declared Himself the Author of the resurrection. He who Himself was soon to die upon the cross stood with the keys of death, a conqueror of the grave, and asserted His right and power to give eternal life. {DA 530.3}

That underlined part I find rather interesting. We typically think of His death as being the key to our eternal life. But that sentence tells us that it is Christ's divinity that is responsible for our resurrection and life.

And here is another one.

Over the rent sepulcher of Joseph, Christ had proclaimed in triumph, "I am the resurrection, and the life." These words could be spoken only by the Deity. All created beings live by the will and power of God. They are dependent recipients of the life of God. From the highest seraph to the humblest animate being, all are replenished from the Source of life. Only He who is one with God could say, I have power to lay down My life, and I have power to take it again. In His divinity, Christ possessed the power to break the bonds of death. {DA 785.3}

But it can hardly be more clear than in what Mrs. White sent to the Youth's Instructor.

"I am the resurrection, and the life." He who had said, "I lay down my life, that I might take it again," came forth from the grave to life that was in himself. Humanity died: divinity did not die. In his divinity, Christ possessed the power to break the bonds of death. He declares that he has life in himself to quicken whom he will. {YI, August 4, 1898 par. 1}

That makes it clear that Christ's divinity never died. This being the case, Jesus was well positioned to make the promise that "Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up." Jesus does not say that His Father would raise Him. This is significant. And Jesus keeps His promises.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136832
10/15/11 05:08 AM
10/15/11 05:08 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: dedication
When He died He was FULLY unconscious. To say otherwise would be saying He didn't really die.

Such a statement seems a bit presumptuous unless you have scripture for it.

I am not God to know whether or not you are right. The Bible does not give us this detail. Neither does Mrs. White. (Unless you know of a passage that supports your claim, in which case please share it with us.)

The fact is, dedication, we are speaking about our omniscient, omnipotent, eternal Creator God here, who says our wisdom is foolishness with Him. I dare not be so arrogant as to presume to know whether or not His divinity could lose consciousness for 36 hours or more.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136836
10/15/11 05:48 AM
10/15/11 05:48 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: dedication

Such a statement seems a bit presumptuous unless you have scripture for it.

I am not God to know whether or not you are right. The Bible does not give us this detail. Neither does Mrs. White. (Unless you know of a passage that supports your claim, in which case please share it with us.)

The fact is, dedication, we are speaking about our omniscient, omnipotent, eternal Creator God here, who says our wisdom is foolishness with Him. I dare not be so arrogant as to presume to know whether or not His divinity could lose consciousness for 36 hours or more.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

There are LOTS of scripture that say Christ died.
And LOTS lots of texts that say God raised Jesus.
I quoted a whole bunch of them just today.
"Christ died for the ungodly."—Romans 5:6.

If we don't believe that Christ REALLY DIED and rose again where does that leave the whole atoning sacrifice?

Yet to imply He was conscious is saying He didn't really die.
I believe, when scripture says that He died, that HE LITERALLY DIED.

You seem to think I denied Christ's divinty -- not sure how you came to that conclusion as I wrote:
"Christ was FULLY human and FULLY Divine."

I don't believe "divinity" is another person, but an attribute, it was part of Who Christ is. I don't pretend to understand everything, as to how the spark of divinity remained alive, but I don't believe divinity has a consciousness of it's own outside of the personhood of Christ.

If I'm chastized for saying Christ in death was unconsious as "being a bit presumptious" then a lot of things in this whole thread should be challenged as presumptious as they deal with things far less clear than the fact that CHRIST DIED for the ungodly.

That's what makes the resurrection so important! He REALLY did die.

Quote:
2 Cor.
15:17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; you are yet in your sins.
15:18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.

Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: dedication] #136837
10/15/11 06:01 AM
10/15/11 06:01 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Dedication,

I certainly agree with you that much of this thread has been focused on things which are beyond our ken. I think Mrs. White tells us that on subjects like these, silence is golden. It seems, nonetheless, a topic that is causing increased division in our church, and therefore merits some attention. Sticking by the Bible is important, and the Bible does say Christ died. His humanity died.

But, is humanity omniscient? omnipotent? When Christ knew the Pharisees' thoughts, Ellen White credits His divinity for it. It seems obvious that divinity does indeed include thoughts, and thoughts require consciousness. If divinity did not die, I can make a case for saying that Christ's thoughts did not die. I'm not going to do that. I think it's presumptuous, as I said. It is not important. What is important, is that the Bible says Jesus claimed He would raise Himself from the dead, and I believe He did just that. If He did so without thinking, that's pretty amazing, wouldn't you say? smile

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136869
10/16/11 01:50 AM
10/16/11 01:50 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Yes, deity cannot die, being holy: did you realise that it is by nature not subject to death.

God's Son, becoming a man, became subject to death having taken mortal, sinful flesh as his own: it was the Author of life, God's Son, who died. His body consisted mysteriously of two natures, but living as a man, he physically died and he was unconscious in death, asleep - given he was resurrected; he "tasted death for every man", tasting the anguish of the second death of the judgement on sin.

God died for our sins: God in the person of his Son died in human flesh. Clear? Okay, God in the person of his Son (that's how Ellen White worded it) was able both to become a man and to die as a man.

Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: Colin] #136875
10/16/11 02:53 PM
10/16/11 02:53 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
When Christ became human He renounced to the use of His omnipotence, omniscience and omnipresence. I agree that He wasn't two persons, although He was both human and divine at the same time. Therefore, when He was sleeping, for instance, I believe He was really unconscious. The same would apply to His death.

Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: asygo] #136899
10/17/11 04:51 PM
10/17/11 04:51 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Originally Posted By: asygo
Originally Posted By: gordonb1

Yes, Christ existed from eternity. That is when He was brought forth.

His "goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting5769 (margin ~ the days of eternity)" Micah 5:2.

"I was set up from everlasting5769 Proverbs 8:23.

I'm not sure what you mean. Mathematically speaking, if Jesus has been around from negative infinity and will continue until positive infinity, He has been and always will be around. So I'm not sure what you're saying.

Let me ask a very precise question: Was there a non-zero amount of time before Christ was brought forth? IOW, was there a time when Jesus had not yet been brought forth? Could the Father reminisce, "I remember the time before I brought you forth, when I was all by Myself....."?

Arnold: I'm not sure what you mean..

Gordon:
Hi Arnold - Yes Jesus was brought forth in the days of eternity and from that point was in close fellowship with His Father. He has everlasting life (as we all hope to) and has always been one with the Father (in mind, character and purpose), just as with the disciples in John 17. ("That they may be one, even as we are one" - v.22)

The Father's name is in Him (in Christ, 'the Angel [messenger] of the Lord', the Son of God who led the Hebrews through the wilderness). (Exodus 23:21)

The Son of God was always subject to the Father (the Ancient of Days) and will be at the last day:

"And when all things shall be subdued unto him (Christ), then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him (The Father) that put all things under him (Christ), that God may be all in all." (1 Corinthians 15:28).

The Father is "The God of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Ephesians 1:17)

The Son is "the Lord's Christ" (Luke 2:26) [the Lord's Anointed One]

Who anointed Jesus? The Father:"How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power." (Acts 10:38)

"God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him." (John 3:34)

Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: asygo] #136900
10/17/11 05:41 PM
10/17/11 05:41 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Originally Posted By: asygo
Originally Posted By: gordonb1

Yes, Christ existed from eternity. That is when He was brought forth.

His "goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting5769 (margin ~ the days of eternity)" Micah 5:2.

"I was set up from everlasting5769 Proverbs 8:23.

I'm not sure what you mean. Mathematically speaking, if Jesus has been around from negative infinity and will continue until positive infinity, He has been and always will be around. So I'm not sure what you're saying.

Let me ask a very precise question: Was there a non-zero amount of time before Christ was brought forth? IOW, was there a time when Jesus had not yet been brought forth? Could the Father reminisce, "I remember the time before I brought you forth, when I was all by Myself....."?

Some will reject the Saviour because He is the Son of God, and not God the Father. "He can't be Divine, can't do the job". But this is rejecting God's Plan. God says He gave His Only Begotten Son to save a lost race. God knows the cost of redemption - who are we to argue with Heaven?

Shall we re-order the Universe to suit our fallen human ideas?

Here's Dedication's quotation from E.J. Waggoner:

Quote:
...the matchless charms of Christ....When Brother Waggoner brought out these ideas in Minneapolis, it was the first clear teaching on this subject from any human lips I had heard, excepting the conversations between myself and my husband. I have said to myself, It is because God has presented it to me in vision that I see it so clearly, and they cannot see it because they have never had it presented to them as I have. And when another presented it, every fiber of my heart said, Amen.--Ms 5, p. 10. (Sermon, Rome, New York, June 19, 1889.) {5MR 219.1}

But here's further elucidation from his own work:

"[Micah 5:2 quoted]..'whose goings forth have been from of old, from the days of eternity' (margin). We know that Christ 'proceeded forth and came from God' (John 8:42), but it was so far back in the ages of eternity as to be far beyond the grasp of the mind of man." page 9.

"[Micah 5:2 quoted] There was a time when Christ proceeded forth and came from God, from the bosom of the Father (John 8:42; 1:18), but that time was so far back in the days of eternity that to finite comprehension it is practically without beginning." pp. 21, 22. Christ and His Righteousness, E. J Waggoner. (1890)

"But I would have you know,
that the head of every man is Christ;
and the head of the woman is the man;
and the head of Christ is God."

1 Corinthians 11:3

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 04/29/24 09:07 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!