HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Lesson #4 (4th Quarter 2011): Justification by Faith Alone #136944
10/19/11 06:42 PM
10/19/11 06:42 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Here is the link to the study and discussion material for Lesson #4 (4th Quarter 2011):

http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/11d/less04.html

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #4 (4th Quarter 2011): Justification by Faith Alone [Re: asygo] #136945
10/19/11 06:48 PM
10/19/11 06:48 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
James 2:24
You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

And Paul replies:
Quote:
Galatians 2:16
Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Galatians 3:11
But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

Romans 3:28
Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Romans 4:1-5
1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?
2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Romans 9:31-33
31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;
33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

There are those who dismiss Paul, and those who dismiss James. Those people do not hang out here.

For those who accept that these Scriptures do not contradict each other, there are usually two options available:
  • They were using "faith" differently. James used "faith" in a narrower sense, while Paul used it in a broader sense. Either way, true faith comes with good works.
  • They were using "works" differently. Paul referred to "works" which one did in order to be saved, while James referred to "works" which one did because he was saved.

Of course, there are nuances and variations in the beliefs of individuals, but those are the major categories. Either "faith" was different or "works" was different.

However, I prefer a 3rd option: They were using "justified" (dikaio) differently. James used it in the sense of "to show, exhibit, evince, one to be righteous," while Paul used it in the sense of "to declare, pronounce, one to be just" or even "to render righteous."

James used Abraham as an example of faith that exhibited good works. He was "justified" by his works because his works showed that he was righteous.

In contrast, Paul used Abraham as an example of one who was justified without works. He was "counted" righteous not because he worked, but because he believed.

Furthermore, the Jews did not attain righteousness because they sought it by works. Had they believed in Jesus, instead of being a stumblingblock to them, He would have rendered, or made, them righteous. But God only does that for those who trust in Him, not in themselves.

So, is faith ever alone? As the means for justification - to be declared just or to be made just - it MUST be alone. But as the evidence of justification - to show that one is just - it cannot be alone, since man looks at the outward appearance.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 (4th Quarter 2011): Justification by Faith Alone [Re: asygo] #136954
10/21/11 02:12 AM
10/21/11 02:12 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Yes, I tend to agree with your third option.

Have you ever tried to find a text where Paul says
"The Just shall live by faith ALONE?

It's not in the text that uses the first six words.

1Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

It isn't anywhere.

Hebrews says:

11:7 By faith Noah,... moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

11:8 By faith Abraham, ...obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

So -- I think both Paul and James agree that the just live by faith in obedience.

Where the difference comes is when "justification" means forgiveness. Forgiveness that legally says we are accounted as if we had not sinned. That comes by faith ALONE in Christ and His supreme sacrifice. Nothing we do can give us that.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 (4th Quarter 2011): Justification by Faith Alone [Re: dedication] #136956
10/21/11 03:22 AM
10/21/11 03:22 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
I think both Paul and James agree that the just live by faith in obedience.

Perhaps a better "translation" is: The just shall live by faithfulness.

Where the difference comes is when "justification" means forgiveness. Forgiveness that legally says we are accounted as if we had not sinned. That comes by faith ALONE in Christ and His supreme sacrifice. Nothing we do can give us that.

I might even go so far as to say that justification in the sense of being rendered or made just also comes by faith alone, no works. The works is the result of the process, not the impetus. But I'm still studying this out, so nothing dogmatic at this point.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 (4th Quarter 2011): Justification by Faith Alone [Re: asygo] #136960
10/21/11 12:59 PM
10/21/11 12:59 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thank you, Arnold, for creating this week's study and discussion thread. thumbsup

Very good thoughts expressed here in these posts, all of which I am presently in agreement.

As I am the one presenting the lesson study in our church tomorrow morning, I am thinking about printing off and using some of what was posted here so far.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 (4th Quarter 2011): Justification by Faith Alone [Re: asygo] #136992
10/22/11 02:15 PM
10/22/11 02:15 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Quote:
14 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, “If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews?

Paul is talking to Peter who had fallen back into segregation practices.

"Peter, you are a Jew and follower of the Torah, and have never practiced sins common to Gentiles, but let me ask you this-- do you still need to be Justified by Christ?"

Peter looks down, remembering his plunders and outright denials of His Lord, yes, he NEEDS the justification that only Christ can give.

Paul continues: "So you KNOW that you were justified by Jesus Christ not the works of the law. You would be condemned even though you have lived by the Torah all your life. By the works of the law no one can be justified."

And yes -- Peter would also realize the absolute necessity of a living faith that alone enables him to live a life of obedience. So yes, being made righteous, as in sanctification, comes also only by faith in Jesus Christ. Self sufficiency in right doing doesn't lead to any kind of justification.
"The works is the result of the process, not the impetus."

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 (4th Quarter 2011): Justification by Faith Alone [Re: dedication] #137001
10/22/11 11:32 PM
10/22/11 11:32 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
So yes, being made righteous, as in sanctification, comes also only by faith in Jesus Christ. Self sufficiency in right doing doesn't lead to any kind of justification.

We know that our justification rests on substitution: Jesus obeyed the law perfectly, and His obedience stands in the place of our disobedience. If so, then we can say, "We are justified by the faithfulness of Jesus." God declares us just because Jesus was perfect, and His perfection is accounted to us.

But does this also work for justification in the sense of "to make righteous"? Is it correct to say that when we are being made righteous - sanctified - that it is Jesus working through us? Hence, even our sanctification is Christ's perfect obedience, not our own. Does that sound right?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 (4th Quarter 2011): Justification by Faith Alone [Re: asygo] #137003
10/23/11 12:36 AM
10/23/11 12:36 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
But does this also work for justification in the sense of "to make righteous"? Is it correct to say that when we are being made righteous - sanctified - that it is Jesus working through us? Hence, even our sanctification is Christ's perfect obedience, not our own. Does that sound right?

It seems to me it is Jesus working in us. The obedience is ours, but it is motivated by the Holy Spirit; however, although motivated by Him, it is an imperfect obedience, so it must be covered by Christ's righteousness.

When through repentance and faith we accept Christ as our Saviour, the Lord pardons our sins, and remits the penalty prescribed for the transgression of the law. The sinner then stands before God as a just person; he is taken into favor with Heaven, and through the Spirit has fellowship with the Father and the Son. Then there is yet another work to be accomplished, and this is of a progressive nature. The soul is to be sanctified through the truth. And this also is accomplished through faith. For it is only by the grace of Christ, which we receive through faith, that the character can be transformed. {3SM 191.2, 3}

O, that all may see that everything in obedience, in penitence, in praise and thanksgiving must be placed upon the glowing fire of the righteousness of Christ. {AG 154.5}

IOW, Christ's righteousness covers both our sins (justification) and our good works (sanctification), therefore both justification and sanctification are accomplished through faith.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 (4th Quarter 2011): Justification by Faith Alone [Re: asygo] #137006
10/23/11 01:06 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
You and I have been proponents of these ideas here for a long time. I agree with what you said here.

But I have been contemplating Bill Liversidge's ideas. He says that even "our" obedience is really Jesus obeying through us. This seems to be closely related to the idea that even our sanctified obedience needs to be covered by Christ's perfect, meritorious obedience. I'm still trying to work out the details.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #4 (4th Quarter 2011): Justification by Faith Alone [Re: asygo] #137007
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
In sanctification I would say Jesus is working IN US, there is an element of co-operation that needs to exist, for Jesus does not force Himself upon us.
Yet that co-operation is more of submission a placing our will under His will, and being in daily surrendered communication with Christ.

But yes, I agree it's Christ's perfect righteousness not our own.

Truth lies on a rather fine line.

I see people opposing these Sabbath School lessons stressing the law, the law, saying yes Jesus forgives, but the law, the law is what's important and these lessons down play the law.
They resist justification by faith alone with the same zeal as the 1888 brethren opposed Jones and Waggonner.

On the other hand I see people so into the "Jesus did it all" that they will tell me things like: "When Jesus takes away my desire to smoke I will know it's His work not my own, and I will stop smoking". And they continue to smoke (or whatever other sin they want to keep) while happily saying they are "saved".

Reply Quote
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!