HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,050 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: Elle] #136709
10/11/11 08:34 AM
10/11/11 08:34 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Elle
Originally Posted By: gordonb1

No, the Son had all the attributes of His Father.

Including immortality?

I do believe that the son has all the attributes of His Father as you say, but that needs to be qualify. What our finite mind understand what is Divinity is very limited for we are not divine and cannot relate to it. Plus we are fallen from the status we once possess making it even harder to grasp.

Personally, I struggle to understand these dimensions. All I know is what the Bible says.

Is divinity defined by being self-existent or immortal? If we hold to this limited definition, then we need to conclude with our so "great intellectual capacity" that Christ was not divine because these was given to him. We know for Jesus to die on the cross, His immortality had to be given back to the Father. The Bible says also that we will be change into an immortal body. Does that mean we then have self-existance? – I do not believe that and can show it with scriptures that it is not so.

I will not conclude that Christ is not divine or make Him a “little god” like the Johovah Witness does just because of our limited understanding of divinity. I rather stick with what God gave us to know.

Jesus-Christ was the ONLY BEGOTTEN SON OF GOD. Right there that is different and beyond from all that is created including Lucifer by which all was & is through Jesus. That’s why this make Jesus the I AM, for all things lives through him. This doesn’t mean He originated self-existance. It was given to Him by the Father by which he pass it on to all of creation. Jesus is the mediator of life. There’s no other. Life is imparted through His word which is Spirit.

Jesus did not begot all of creation, He spoke them into existance. There’s a big difference there and that’s how set’s Jesus apart from all of creation. How Jesus was begotten we do not know.

Let’s ponder on what God reveal to us with our own children. The father of the family owns all things in the family household. The father gives to his son some (or all at his death) of his possession, his knowledge, his wisdom, his food(life), some authority when he grows up, etc… Just because these are given to his son, does that makes his son less partaker of his name and genetic makeup? No. His son has his name and his attributes only with the fact that he is begotten of his seed.

Blessings
Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: asygo] #136710
10/11/11 09:55 AM
10/11/11 09:55 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: asygo
Originally Posted By: gordonb1

Yes, Christ existed from eternity. That is when He was brought forth.

His "goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting5769 (margin ~ the days of eternity)" Micah 5:2.

"I was set up from everlasting5769 Proverbs 8:23.

I'm not sure what you mean. Mathematically speaking, if Jesus has been around from negative infinity and will continue until positive infinity, He has been and always will be around. So I'm not sure what you're saying.

Let me ask a very precise question: Was there a non-zero amount of time before Christ was brought forth? IOW, was there a time when Jesus had not yet been brought forth? Could the Father reminisce, "I remember the time before I brought you forth, when I was all by Myself....."?

Here’s another great area of speculation and denominational intend blindness relating to the English translated word “eternity”.

There is of no certainty how and where in scriptures the word Olam(h5769) or Aion(g165) should be translated as “eternal” or “everlasting”. This is plainly stated by many great theologians. It is sad that this fact is not translated to the average Christian or even to the preachers and teachers who seems totally convince that these words means nothing else other then never ending time whether past or future.

Strongs defines Aion : “from the same as 104 [aei, ‘continued duration']; prop. an age; by extens. perpetuity (also past); by impl. the world; spec. (Jewish) a Messianic period (present or future).”

So properly it means “an age,” and it only means by extension “perpetuity.” Thus, he’s saying that it can mean either a limited period of time or an unlimited period of time. However, to make it an unlimited period of time requires that you extend its basic usual meaning, which is limited.

Since a "limited" or "unlimited" translation of these words is debatable, Young has translated this word as “age or age-lasting”. Other translators like Rotherham, Wilson, and Noah(Concordant translation) has also corrected these to reflect more to the proper meaning as Young did.

Olam : H5769 `owlam o-lawm' from H5956; properly, concealed, i.e. the vanishing point; generally, time out of mind (past or future), i.e. (practically) eternity; frequentatively, adverbial (especially with prepositional prefix) always. Compare H5331, H5703.

H5956 `alam aw-lam' a primitive root; to veil from sight, i.e. conceal (literally or figuratively).

Aion got it’s meaning from Olam which properly means a veil/concealed time. So just from this, I get that G-d doesn't want us to know right now and purposely veil this to us.

Here is what Dr. Bullinger explains

“The root meaning of aion is expressed by the Heb. olam . . . which denotes indefinite, unknown or concealed duration; just as we speak of ‘the patriarchal age', or ‘the golden age', etc. Hence, it has come to denote any given period of time, characterized by a special form of Divine administration or dispensation.”

So let’s don’t get into the unknown here and go beyond what the Bible says where G-d, in His wisdom, did not want to reveal the specific to us now. Olam can mean a limited or unlimted time. Relating to Jesus begotteness – it may mean that before He was begotten He didn’t exist and the Father was alone at that time. We just don't know and can only assume via how we begat our own sons. But let's be frank that it is an assumption and our understanding is finite. It is a mystery – conceal to us what it really means. All we know there is much emphasis by the Father that Jesus is to be known as His ONLY begotten Son. So Jesus is set apart from anyone else and that should be enough for us to know now and wait for the "age" to come for the Father to unconceal this mystery.

Blessings
Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: Elle] #136713
10/11/11 11:34 AM
10/11/11 11:34 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
How Jesus was begotten we do not know.

True. But we do know, at least, when. Jesus was begotten "when the fullness of time was come." That is, when Mary brought forth.

That it is said He was "begotten from eternity" is akin to it being said He was "slain from the foundation of the world." Both of these references speak to the fact that the event was prophesied, planned, expected and would most certainly take place. Obviously, Jesus was not slain during creation week. Neither was He previously begotten.

John 1 is clear that "the Word became flesh and dwelt among us." At that time of His becoming flesh, He was begotten. And He was the only one of the Godhead to have ever been begotten. This is why John 3:16 speaks of Him saying, "only begotten Son." None of the other members of the Godhead have ever had, nor ever will have, the dubious privilege of having become a son.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: Green Cochoa] #136715
10/11/11 12:33 PM
10/11/11 12:33 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
How Jesus was begotten we do not know.

True. But we do know, at least, when. Jesus was begotten "when the fullness of time was come." That is, when Mary brought forth.

That it is said He was "begotten from eternity" is akin to it being said He was "slain from the foundation of the world." Both of these references speak to the fact that the event was prophesied, planned, expected and would most certainly take place. Obviously, Jesus was not slain during creation week. Neither was He previously begotten.

John 1 is clear that "the Word became flesh and dwelt among us." At that time of His becoming flesh, He was begotten. And He was the only one of the Godhead to have ever been begotten. This is why John 3:16 speaks of Him saying, "only begotten Son." None of the other members of the Godhead have ever had, nor ever will have, the dubious privilege of having become a son.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

AV Pr 8:22 . The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.

AV Pr 8:23 I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.

AV Pr 8:24 When [there were] no depths, I was brought forth; when [there were] no fountains abounding with water.

Blessings
Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: Elle] #136718
10/11/11 02:56 PM
10/11/11 02:56 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
AV Pr 8:22 . The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.

AV Pr 8:23 I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.

AV Pr 8:24 When [there were] no depths, I was brought forth; when [there were] no fountains abounding with water.

This is poetic language. The poem is speaking about the wisdom of God, and of course the wisdom of God did not have a beginning.

Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: Elle] #136719
10/11/11 03:03 PM
10/11/11 03:03 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
This doesn’t mean He originated self-existance. It was given to Him by the Father

???
Self-existence means both that your life wasn't originated by anyone and that it isn't preserved by anyone.

Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: Rosangela] #136729
10/11/11 05:25 PM
10/11/11 05:25 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
DA 531 "In Christ is life, original, unborrowed, underived."

Letter 398 (1906) " In Jesus is our life derived. In Him is life, that is original, unborrowed, underived life. In us there is a streamlet from the fountain of life. In Him is the fountain of life."

Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: Rosangela] #136736
10/11/11 07:48 PM
10/11/11 07:48 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:

This is poetic language. The poem is speaking about the wisdom of God, and of course the wisdom of God did not have a beginning.

NO, Rosangela: that's clearly how 'we' read those texts, TODAY, not how they are quoted in Patriarchs & Prophets, chapter ONE. We have to let history SPEAK.

Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: Colin] #136741
10/11/11 10:45 PM
10/11/11 10:45 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I think we need to let the Bible speak.

EGW simply quotes a whole string of texts without any hint that she is trying to establish Christ's origin --her purpose was the purpose of showing that the sovereign God was not alone in Creation. Among that list of texts is also:
"His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6.
""In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God." John 1:1, 2.

Solomon, as one of his literary ways of teaching, personifies wisdom as a woman, whom we should choose to hear and follow in Proverbs eight.

Personification: “is the representation of an abstraction as a person"

Yet we need to understand that WISDOM here is an attribute of God

Christ is the personification of all the attributes of God.
Christ is the wisdom of God, (1 Cor. 1:24)
Christ is the power of God (1 Cor. 1:24)
Christ is the righteousness of God (1 Cor. 1:30)
Christ is the truth of God, (John 14:6)
Christ is the love of God. (Romans 8:39)
Christ is mercy and goodness and justice.
Christ is the personification of all the attributes of God.

Yet, the deduction that since Christ is the personification of WISDOM, (as well as all the other attributes of God) that this means Proverbs is defining Christ’s origin before the incarnation, rather than the attribute of wisdom, is a faulty deduction.

Yes, Christ was there Creating. But to say WISDOM itself is literally CHRIST, is not correct.

For instance, was Christ only a spectator at creation?

Proverbs 8 says that when God prepared the heavens, Wisdom was there.
When God put the water systems in place, Wisdom was there.

The creation of all things shows the wonderful wisdom within the Godhead. That wisdom is displayed in the Creative Power and marvelous design.
God delights in wisdom and understanding, truth and uprighteness.

We know from scripture that Christ was not just a spectator (He wasn't just "there") at Creation, He was the ACTIVE CREATOR for John tells us that:

The Word [Jesus] was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. (John 1:1-3)

Re: The Father created Jesus, then later promoted Him to divinity? [Re: dedication] #136742
10/11/11 11:07 PM
10/11/11 11:07 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Quote:
"The Bible says also that we will be change into an immortal body. Does that mean we then have self-existance?"

No, that life comes from Christ the one whose life is underived, unborrowed, self existant.

Even when given immortal bodies -- if any who are given that gift were to separate themselves from Christ and go their own self willed ways they would sooner or later loose life.

Why do you think there's a tree of life in the New Earth?
No created being has life apart from God.

Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!