HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,202 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A good reason to hypernate G-d #137827
12/02/11 01:28 PM
12/02/11 01:28 PM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Here is what a friend told me :

"G-d is not a name it is a title, but it originates from the teutonic word Gott the germanic pagan sun deity. The word "goths" is a related word referring also to the sun deity, ostrogoths (rising or eastern sun) was an ancient germanic tribe of eastern europe, the visigoths (falling or western sun) inhabited western europe. So the english word "god" is used as a title for YHWH but on ancient times it would be a germanic reference to the sun deity.

Deut. 18:20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.

Ex. 23:13 And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.

So i put the dash in G-d so as not to write or cause another to speak or even think of this name of a pagan deity."

Blessings
Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: Elle] #137853
12/03/11 12:01 AM
12/03/11 12:01 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Where did you hear that, Elle? I hope someone wasn't intentionally leading you astray.

Here's the first thing I found on it...
Quote:
GOD - The English word God is identical with the Anglo-Saxon word for “good,” and therefore it is believed that the name God refers to the divine goodness. (See Oehler's Theol. of Old Test.; Strong's and Young's concordances.) (From New Unger's Bible Dictionary) (Originally published by Moody Press of Chicago, Illinois. Copyright (C) 1988.)

I don't know if that's accurate, but it sure is different. Frankly, I'd never heard such a thing as that the word "God" would have come from "sun deity." That seems a bit preposterous to me.

Remember, Anglo-Saxon was the original English. Because the language has adopted words from so many other languages, today's English is comprised of only about 25% Anglo-Saxon, with many of those words having evolved into new pronunciations or spellings. For example, we no longer pronounce the "k" in words like "knot" and "knife" and "know." Those were all Anglo-Saxon.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: Green Cochoa] #137865
12/03/11 06:18 AM
12/03/11 06:18 AM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
I appreciate the concern Green and your reply. According to a brief little google of the etymology of the word, I do believe that my friend is right. Not that the first origin came from the Gotts, but it appears it goes further, and this word is found in some form in many nations. So actually we do not know exactly where it originated. But the fact that it is well dispersed in many nations, my speculation would be that it could of derived as far back as the pagan worship during the time of the story of Babel.

Here is some type of Hindu or Buddha religion website that is happy to say that G-d could come originally from Sankrit.

Here what he says :

“Oddly, the exact history of the word God is unknown. The word God is a relatively new European invention, which was never used in any of the ancient Judaeo-Christian scripture manuscripts that were written in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek or Latin.

According to the best efforts of linguists and researchers, the root of the present word God is the Sanskrit word hu which means to call upon, invoke, implore.

Nonetheless, it is also interesting to note the similarity to the ancient Persian word for God which is Khoda.

The following is a survey of some of the efforts of those who have been trying to decipher the ancient roots of the word God:”
http://wahiduddin.net/words/name_god.htm

Below is his compilation of the etymology of g-d.
Originally Posted By: God etymology compilation
Webster's 1913 Dictionary:

\God\ (g[o^]d), n. [AS. god; akin to OS. & D. god, OHG. got, G. gott, Icel. gu[eth], go[eth], Sw. & Dan. gud, Goth. gup, prob. orig. a p. p. from a root appearing in Skr. h[=u], p. p. h[=u]ta, to call upon, invoke, implore. [root]30. Cf. {Goodbye}, {Gospel}, {Gossip}.]
http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/god

Catholic Encyclopedia:

Etymology of the Word "God"

(Anglo-Saxon God; German Gott; akin to Persian khoda; Hindu khooda).

God can variously be defined as:
• the proper name of the one Supreme and Infinite Personal Being, the Creator and Ruler of the universe, to whom man owes obedience and worship;
• the common or generic name of the several supposed beings to whom, in polytheistic religions, Divine attributes are ascribed and Divine worship rendered;
• the name sometimes applied to an idol as the image or dwelling-place of a god.

The root-meaning of the name (from Gothic root gheu; Sanskrit hub or emu, "to invoke or to sacrifice to") is either "the one invoked" or "the one sacrificed to." From different Indo-Germanic roots (div, "to shine" or "give light"; thes in thessasthai "to implore") come the Indo-Iranian deva, Sanskrit dyaus (gen. divas), Latin deus, Greek theos, Irish and Gaelic dia, all of which are generic names; also Greek Zeus (gen. Dios, Latin Jupiter (jovpater), Old Teutonic Tiu or Tiw (surviving in Tuesday), Latin Janus, Diana, and other proper names of pagan deities. The common name most widely used in Semitic occurs as 'el in Hebrew, 'ilu in Babylonian, 'ilah in Arabic, etc.; and though scholars are not agreed on the point, the root-meaning most probably is "the strong or mighty one."

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06608x.htm

Oxford English Dictionary:

"god (gρd). Also 3-4 godd. [Com. Teut.: OE. god (masc. in sing.; pl. godu, godo neut., godas masc.) corresponds to OFris., OS., Du. god masc., OHG. got, cot (MHG. got, mod.Ger. gott) masc., ON. goð, guð neut. and masc., pl. goð, guð neut. (later Icel. pl. guðir masc.; Sw., Da. gud), Goth. guÞ (masc. in sing.; pl. guÞa, guda neut.). The Goth. and ON. words always follow the neuter declension, though when used in the Christian sense they are syntactically masc. The OTeut. type is therefore *guđom neut., the adoption of the masculine concord being presumably due to the Christian use of the word. The neuter sb., in its original heathen use, would answer rather to L. numen than to L. deus. Another approximate equivalent of deus in OTeut. was *ansu-z (Goth. in latinized pl. form anses, ON. ρss, OE. Ós- in personal names, ésa genit. pl.); but this seems to have been applied only to the higher deities of the native pantheon, never to foreign gods; and it never came into Christian use.

The ulterior etymology is disputed. Apart from the unlikely hypothesis of adoption from some foreign tongue, the OTeut. *gubom implies as its pre-Teut. type either ghudho-m or *ghutó-m. The former does not appear to admit of explanation; but the latter would represent the neut. of the passive pple. of a root *gheu-. There are two Aryan roots of the required form (both *glheu, with palatal aspirate): one meaning ‘to invoke’ (Skr. hū), the other ‘to pour, to offer sacrifice’ (Skr. hu, Gr. χέειν, OE. yéotan YETE v.). Hence *glhutó-m has been variously interpreted as ‘what is invoked’ (cf. Skr. puru-hūta ‘much-invoked’, an epithet of Indra) and as ‘what is worshipped by sacrifice’ (cf. Skr. hutá, which occurs in the sense ‘sacrificed to’ as well as in that of ‘offered in sacrifice’). Either of these conjectures is fairly plausible, as they both yield a sense practically coincident with the most obvious definition deducible from the actual use of the word, ‘an object of worship’.

Some scholars, accepting the derivation from the root *glheu- to pour, have supposed the etymological sense to be ‘molten image’ (= Gr. χυγόν), but the assumed development of meaning seems very unlikely.

transcribed from The Oxford English Dictionary

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary:

god

\God\ (g[o^]d), n. [AS. god; akin to OS. & D. god, OHG. got, G. gott, Icel. gu[eth], go[eth], Sw. & Dan. gud, Goth. gup, prob. orig. a p. p. from a root appearing in Skr. h[=u], p. p. h[=u]ta, to call upon, invoke, implore. [root]30. Cf. Goodbye, Gospel, Gossip.]

1. A being conceived of as possessing supernatural power, and to be propitiated by sacrifice, worship, etc.; a divinity; a deity; an object of worship; an idol.

He maketh a god, and worshipeth it. --Is. xliv. 15.

The race of Israel . . . bowing lowly down To bestial gods. --Milton.

2. The Supreme Being; the eternal and infinite Spirit, the Creator, and the Sovereign of the universe; Jehovah.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=god

American Heritage Dictionary:

GOD

NOUN: 1. God a. A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions. b. The force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being. 2. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality. 3. An image of a supernatural being; an idol. 4. One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: Money was their god. 5. A very handsome man. 6. A powerful ruler or despot.

ETYMOLOGY: Middle English, from Old English. See gheu(): in APPENDIX I
APPENDIX I: ENTRY: gheu()-

DEFINITION: To call, invoke. Oldest form *heu()-, becoming *gheu()- in centum languages. Suffixed zero-grade form *ghu-to-, “the invoked,” god. a. god, from Old English god, god; b. giddy, from Old English gydig, gidig, possessed, insane, from Germanic *gud-iga-, possessed by a god; c. götterdämmerung, from Old High German got, god. a–c all from Germanic *gudam, god. (Pokorny hau- 413.)

http://www.bartleby.com/61/21/G0172100.html

An Additional On-Line Reference:
Word origin: God - Our word god goes back via Germanic to Indo-European, in which a corresponding ancestor form meant “invoked one.” The word’s only surviving non-Germanic relative is Sanskrit hu, invoke the gods, a form which appears in the Rig Veda, most ancient of Hindu scriptures: puru-hutas, “much invoked,” epithet of the rain-and-thunder god Indra. (From READER’S DIGEST, Family Word Finder, page 351) (Originally published by The Reader’s Digest Association, Inc., Pleasantville New York, Montreal; Copyright 1975)

Now if the sources noted above are accurate, then the word that we use for the Supreme Being, God, comes from a very pagan origin. Thus the word god is used generically by many different religions to refer to their deity or “invoked one.”

Some may laugh at the notion, the very idea that the word “God” has any origin or association with Hindu Sanskrit. To illustrate how this is possible, we again quote from ‘Family Word Finder’ on the historical development of our Modern English language:

Page 7, ‘Word Origins’ - “English belongs to the Indo-European family of languages, which consists of about 100 related tongues, all descended from prehistoric language of a pastoral, bronze working, horse breeding people, the Aryans, who inhabited the steppes of Central Asia about 4500 B.C. Scholars refer to their language at this stage as proto-Indo-European, or simply Indo-European.
http://www.bibleanswerstand.org/God.htm

Blessings
Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: Elle] #137866
12/03/11 06:59 AM
12/03/11 06:59 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
If anyone on this forum has some acquaintance with the Asian languages, I guess it's probably me. I can tell you for a fact that the Thai language has no word for God. Yet the source languages for Thai are said to be Pali and Sanskrit--the same source as is alleged for Hindi.

In Thai, Christians have latched on to the nearest equivalent word, "pra" to which is added either "ong" meaning "being" or "jao" meaning "lord." The word "pra" is more akin to "royal," "sacred," or "divine." In Thai, kings are called either "pra-jao" or "pra-ong." Christians, then, use those same words to speak of God. A listening Buddhist might misunderstand the Christian reference to "God" to be referring to Thailand's king!

Of course, maybe Thai was simply short-changed, and there is another word from the original Sanskrit for God. However, I have my doubts. There is an interesting book which I have read regarding the translation of the Bible into Tibetan called "God Spoke Tibetan." The story tells of providential occurrences in the very long process of translating the Bible into the language of Tibet (over a lifetime). One of the hardest things to translate, according to the book, was the word "God." They just could not find a suitable word to use within their ordinary language.

Here is a quote from the book.

Originally Posted By: God Spoke Tibetan, by Allan Maberly
... Sitting down, he began to read the tattered pages. As he read, his excitement grew. The book told of ancient wars of the gods, with a backdrop of superstition. But the language, written in a dialect almost forgotten, amazed Yoseb. He saw at once that this language was the key for which they had searched. Here was the word for "God" which they had so diligently sought, a good word for "prayer," and other difficult phrases. The language, much simpler than the classical Tibetan, could be adapted so that the modern Tibetan would understand it clearly--even the simple people of the hills.

Of course, Thai comes from the same Sanskrit origin as Tibetan and Hindi, and just as mentioned above, the word "prayer" is also problematic in Thai. I wish I could come across such a find as did our dear brother Yoseb, but for Thai!

Suffice it to say, the word "God" is not easy to come by in these languages, and this causes me the more to question the reasoning behind some people's attempt to trace the English word for God back to a nearly non-existent word in one of these languages.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: Green Cochoa] #137885
12/04/11 05:42 AM
12/04/11 05:42 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
"teutonic word Gott"

Coming from a German background I can affirm that the word "Gott" means exactly the same thing as the English word "God" and is the word used in German Bibles when refering to God.

Just as the English word can refer to the true God or false gods, so the German word Gott can refer to the true God or false gods.

This is Genesis 1:1 in German

"Am Anfang schuf Gott Himmel und Erde.

One of the first songs German Christian children learn is

Gott ist die Liebe,
Läßt mich erlösen:
Gott ist die Liebe,
Er liebt auch mich.
Drum sag ich noch einmal:
Gott ist die Liebe,
Gott ist die Liebe,
Er liebt auch mich.

God is love
He redeemed me
God is love
He also loves me
That's why I'll say it again
God is love, God is love
He also loves me.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: Elle] #137902
12/05/11 03:15 PM
12/05/11 03:15 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Elle
So i put the dash in G-d so as not to write or cause another to speak or even think of this name of a pagan deity."
So how does changing the letters of God not cause another to speak or even think of this name of a pagan deity?

Why use G-d and not -od, Go-, or G--, -o-, --d, or ---?

How does it not bring even more attention to any such fact, or not, about the origins of "God"? And how does it not bring attention to yourself. If you object to the word, "God", why not use YHWH, Yahweh, or any of other such permutations others use to distract or attract attention?

It seems to me that this is vanity if not bordering on blasphemy.

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: kland] #138268
12/20/11 05:33 PM
12/20/11 05:33 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Seems to me there is a Christian faith group or denomination that spells God as G-d for the reason that they do not wish to spell the name of God in full, thus they refer to Him as G-d in written form.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: Daryl] #148534
12/30/12 02:02 PM
12/30/12 02:02 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Devout Jews today write G-d as they do not want to speak the name of God.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: Gregory] #148535
12/30/12 02:12 PM
12/30/12 02:12 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Quote:
Oddly, the exact history of the word God is unknown. The word God is a relatively new European invention, which was never used in any of the ancient Judaeo-Christian scripture manuscripts that were written in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek or Latin.

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/1_introduction.html

The above citation references a 4,000 year-old use of the word God in Pictographic-Hebrew.

I acknowledge that some would say that citation is actually the Hebrew word "el." But is not that Hebrew word the root of the English word God?

Last edited by Gregory; 12/30/12 02:15 PM.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: Gregory] #148536
12/30/12 03:34 PM
12/30/12 03:34 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Quote:
Why use G-d and not -od, Go-, or G--, -o-, --d, or ---?

The answer to your question is simple: It stems from the fact that the Bible was written in unpointed Hebrew. In unpointed Hebrew (transliterated into English), the word god would be written as "gd." It would not be written as "go," or "od."

NOTE: Transliterated is a different word than translated.

So, modern Jewish people writing in English write it as "g-d" with the hyphen indicating the the Hebrew root has been transliterated in its unpointed Hebrew form.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!