HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Charity] #138368
12/24/11 11:02 PM
12/24/11 11:02 PM
C
Colin  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
First, it's Ellen White who said that Christ's divinity didn't die because divinity can't die.

If you can find it without too much trouble, I'd like to see that quote.

smile The quote's there grin : what of it? Well, who or what died on the cross for our sins & for us, as divinity cannot die? The Person whose identity is the Son of God, Creator, died as a man.

Sister White says the Author of life suffered on the cross: for God to die he had to become a man in the person of his Son.

That's why it is so, so crucial - as I titled this thread, that God the Father has an only begotten Son since "the days of eternity", else God could not die for sin since he would not be "God himself in the person of his Son", able to become a man, possibly sin, and be the Lamb of God; for, divinity cannot die.

Quote:
Regarding the trinity doctrine, it may have been better to call our view of the deity something else, to make it clear we don't subscribe to all the particulars of what other denominations call the trinity, but I can see the rationale for adopting the label. Ellen White who is very precise in her selection of words never used the term herself.

With the SDA trinity doctrine Jesus is no longer the only begotten Son of God since eternity: that's further from the Nicene Creed than we used to be (we opposed its mysticism, among other things), and jeopardises quite possibly salvation itself. How can the Author of life die if he is not actually the eternal Son of God, able to die for sin without threatening the existence of the Godhead? - for, the trinity, were it heavenly reality, would suddenly be two for the first time between eternity and eternity. I'm not being facetious: that's the trinity doctrine's principle.

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Charity] #138379
12/26/11 04:44 PM
12/26/11 04:44 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
What is the "other" Trinity doctrine from other denominations that we do not believe?

Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Bobryan] #138382
12/26/11 06:50 PM
12/26/11 06:50 PM
C
Colin  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Oh, here is an example of that EGW statement.
Quote:
“I am the resurrection, and the life” (John 11:25). He who had said, “I lay down my life, that I might take it again” (John 10:17), came forth from the grave to life that was in Himself. Humanity died; divinity did not die. In His divinity, Christ possessed the power to break the bonds of death. He declares that He has life in Himself to quicken whom He will. {1SM 301.1}

Just a quick thought, here: we are saved to eternal life with the divine life of the Son of God. Obvious perhaps, but worth noting, as we may have to think about it a bit to notice this truth.
Quote:
All created beings live by the will and power of God. They are recipients of the life of the Son of God. However able and talented, however large their capacities, they are replenished with life from the Source of all life. He is the spring, the fountain, of life. Only He who alone hath immortality, dwelling in light and life, could say, “I have power to lay it [my life] down, and I have power to take it again” (John 10:18). {1SM 301.2}

Now, the other side of the coin to the first quote above: the "death of the Son of God" (below).

Sister White clearly and easily, in the same passage here - and again & again - states our old, non-trinitarian belief in the Godhead: divinity cannot die, but the individual whose eternal identity is the actual, personal Son of God - hence, equal with the law, died.

D'you see the difference? Jesus is the Son of God his Father, and so divine with his Father; is he also "God the Son", of the doctrine of the trinity? Could he, as "God the Son", die at all while keeping the trinity of three co-eternal persons co-existing together? The SS lesson a few years ago, speaking of the Christ's death of the cross, within John's Gospel, emphasised the sundering of the Godhead/trinity in God's death: is that Biblically true, actually? Sundering, separating, the Powers of heaven, maybe, but not splitting the Godhead in half!!

Listen to the preacher next time he says that humanity died but divinity did not die, leaving open the possibility of an unworthy sacrifice when not mentioning the death of the eternal Son of God. To preserve the death of the Son of God as Gospel teaching, can we confess that "God the Son" (fundamental beliefs #2 & #4) is not the actual Son of God from eternity? smile
Quote:
The law of God’s government was to be magnified by the death of God’s only-begotten Son. Christ bore the guilt of the sins of the world. Our sufficiency is found only in the incarnation and death of the Son of God. He could suffer, because sustained by divinity. He could endure, because He was without one taint of disloyalty or sin. Christ triumphed in man’s behalf in thus bearing the justice of punishment. He secured eternal life to men, while He exalted the law, and made it honorable. {1SM 302.1}
Christ was invested with the right to give immortality. The life which He had laid down in humanity, He again took up and gave to humanity. “I am come,” He says, “that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly” (John 10:10). “Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day” (John 6:54). “Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life” (John 4:14). {1SM 302.2}

Lastly, that "only he who alone hath immortality", a Biblical statement reserved most likely for the Father, personally, shows that the Son of God defers to his Father in all things, selflessly not claiming that which is his which he has from his Father and which his Father has, too: it is written that God the Father personally alone has immortality, and, while Jesus, God's only begotten Son (see, she openly says that of Jesus, too), has it too, the Bible shows Jesus doesn't claim it but meekly and humbly shows us the Father. God doesn't trumpet it, either. wink grin

Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Bobryan] #138386
12/27/11 01:21 AM
12/27/11 01:21 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Originally Posted By: Bobryan
What is the "other" Trinity doctrine from other denominations that we do not believe?

This is the definition of the Trinity from Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Christian doctrine of the Trinity defines God as three divine persons: the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit. The three persons are distinct yet coexist in unity, and are co-equal, co-eternal and consubstantial. Put another way, the three persons of the Trinity are of one being.[2] The Trinity is considered to be a mystery of Christian faith.[3]

According to this doctrine, God exists as three persons but is one God, meaning that God the Son and God the Holy Spirit have exactly the same nature or being as God the Father in every way.[4] Whatever attributes and power God the Father has, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit have as well.[4] "Thus, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are also eternal, omnipresent, omnipotent, infinitely wise, infinitely holy, infinitely loving, omniscient."[4]

I can't say for sure because I haven't studied our fundamental beliefs on this but I'm optimistic that we don't subscribe to the non-scriptural aspects. The Godhead is a mystery. The trinity doctrine articulated above goes beyond what scripture reveals and muddies the waters.

Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Charity] #138387
12/27/11 01:27 AM
12/27/11 01:27 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
The question though - is whether anything in the 28 FB is in explicit opposition to any statement made in the quotes listed in your post. I have not found anything to contradict it.

in Christ,

Bob

Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Charity] #138403
12/27/11 06:12 PM
12/27/11 06:12 PM
C
Colin  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick

This is the definition of the Trinity from Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Christian doctrine of the Trinity defines God as three divine persons: the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit. The three persons are distinct yet coexist in unity, and are co-equal, co-eternal and consubstantial. Put another way, the three persons of the Trinity are of one being.[2] The Trinity is considered to be a mystery of Christian faith.[3]

According to this doctrine, God exists as three persons but is one God, meaning that God the Son and God the Holy Spirit have exactly the same nature or being as God the Father in every way.[4] Whatever attributes and power God the Father has, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit have as well.[4] "Thus, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are also eternal, omnipresent, omnipotent, infinitely wise, infinitely holy, infinitely loving, omniscient."[4]

I can't say for sure because I haven't studied our fundamental beliefs on this but I'm optimistic that we don't subscribe to the non-scriptural aspects. The Godhead is a mystery. The trinity doctrine articulated above goes beyond what scripture reveals and muddies the waters.

What's not Scriptural? smile

Briefly: God is not three persons, but one: the Father. The Godhead of the Father is bodily in his one, begotten Son, too, so more than one person in the fulness of the Godhead is thus revealed. The Spirit is the infinite omnipresence of the Father and his Son, proceeding from their persons to dwell in their intelligent creation, and filling the universe with creative power - but not presence! Thus, they are not exactly the same in every way in possessing the Godhead personally.

The biggest red flag is "consubstantial": this means without form or body, and all three subsisting in a formless substance - mystic mystery. That's what their literature says: I don't care why they say that, as it's not Biblical. It is not in our doctrine, btw, while God as a three-in-one and one-in-three certainly is.

The smaller red flag - it is now in our beliefs but it didn't used to be - is "co-existent": that means that Christ is not the only begotten Son of God, since God and Christ would co-exist for all eternity as two persons, instead of the Son of God being the Word of God from the beginning (Jn 1:1). The Word of God is also the begotten Son of God, a being next to God and who created the universe alongside the Father, since he is the begotten Son of God from eternity.

What the Nicene Creed has which our doctrine doesn't have is the Spirit proceeding from the Father and the Son, so from their nature and persons - the Spirit in the fulness of the Godhead. Our non-trinitarian beliefs, as Adventists, held to this Nicene teaching, as it is rooted in Scripture.

That should do it for now. Our fundamentals are as bad as the generally held trinity doctrine, and a bit worse in places, too, as you can see. Do we need to pull out all the details, or just as proof, then? In a bit. smile

Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Bobryan] #138405
12/27/11 07:46 PM
12/27/11 07:46 PM
C
Colin  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
The question though - is whether anything in the 28 FB is in explicit opposition to any statement made in the quotes listed in your post. I have not found anything to contradict it.

in Christ,

Bob

Maybe, maybe not, but what's the Bible and SOP say on the matter? wink

That's why I posted what I did at the beginning of this thread. smile

Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Colin] #138414
12/27/11 11:41 PM
12/27/11 11:41 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
If the Bible and/or Ellen White have something to say against a given point in the list of Trinitarian statements you outlined in your post - I have not found it so far.

in Christ,

Bob

Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Bobryan] #138417
12/28/11 04:08 AM
12/28/11 04:08 AM
C
Colin  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
You didn't?? What of, in post #138211 on p.1 of this thread, that report from New Zealand by Ellen White about facing non-Adventists saying we denied the deity of Christ? What of her and Ellet Waggoner's statements about Jesus' actual, begotten Sonship in the days of eternity?

Both these points are contrary to the Nicene Creed, quite likely mirrored in that wikipedia statement, and the SDA trinity doctrine, aren't they, but have the Bible to back them up?

Last edited by Colin; 12/28/11 05:23 AM.
Reply Quote
Re: Why did our church reject the doctrine of the trinity? [Re: Colin] #138464
12/29/11 07:44 PM
12/29/11 07:44 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
God is not three persons, but one: the Father.

The Son is God, so this statement can only be false.

Quote:
The Godhead of the Father is bodily in his one, begotten Son, too, so more than one person in the fulness of the Godhead is thus revealed.

Godhead = the essencial nature and condition of being God.

Quote:
The Spirit is the infinite omnipresence of the Father and his Son, proceeding from their persons to dwell in their intelligent creation

The Spirit is a person.

Quote:
The biggest red flag is "consubstantial": this means without form or body, and all three subsisting in a formless substance - mystic mystery.

Consubstantial means "of the same substance."

“I and My Father are One.” The words of Christ were full of deep meaning as He put forth the claim that He and the Father were of one substance, possessing the same attributes.—The Signs of the Times, November 27, 1893, p. 54. {7ABC 437.3}

Quote:
The smaller red flag - it is now in our beliefs but it didn't used to be - is "co-existent": that means that Christ is not the only begotten Son of God, since God and Christ would co-exist for all eternity as two persons, instead of the Son of God being the Word of God from the beginning (Jn 1:1).

In the beginning the Word already was. It did not come to existence in the beginning.

Reply Quote
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!