HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: kland] #142110
05/07/12 03:26 PM
05/07/12 03:26 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
kland,

I work closely with a doctor who shares with me from time to time about the sad cases of mothers in their thirties and forties, vegan, dying from cancer. Due to patient privacy issues, I never hear their names, unless a patient happens to discuss it with the doctor in my presence, which happens now and then. (People who see a doctor at church, for example.... Glad I'm not a doctor sometimes!) Just in the last two years, I have personally become aware of a large number of vegans who are succumbing to cancer.

I don't think more vegans get cancer than non-vegans. At least, I don't have any special evidence regarding the cancer frequencies. The evidence that I do have, however, is that the vegans have insufficient ability to fight it off once they have it. A few escape. Many do not. It is a sad situation.

I have seen a study posted online somewhere, but cannot seem to find it just now, that gave statistics comparing meat eaters, lacto-ovo vegetarians, and vegans for all causes of death. Vegans and meat eaters were almost tied in their mortality rates, while lacto-ovo vegetarians had better longevity. If I find it again, I will post it.

What seems to help the meat eaters and the lacto-ovo vegetarians when they get cancer is to go vegan. But vegans, when they get cancer, seem to be already running behind and have no way of correcting their deficiency when they need it. It would be a bit like going on a fast when you have some extra weight to carry you through your illness, versus when you are already running lean. The lean person cannot afford to fast when he or she becomes sick, even if it might otherwise have been a healthful thing to do to let the body focus on the healing process.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: APL] #142112
05/07/12 03:30 PM
05/07/12 03:30 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: APL
Pernicious Anemia is caused by a lack of "intrinsic factor", not just a lack of B12 in the diet. In fact, with pernicious anemia (PA), you may have plenty of B12 but you can't absorb it. PA can be caused by an autoimmune disease which destroy the cells that make intrinsic factor, or by some infections. The elderly can also loose the ability to make intrinsic factor.

I'm surprised that eggs along cured your B12 lack due to PA. Eggs are not that high in B12 and do not contain intrinsic factor. Oral replacement with high dose sublingual supplements or nasal sprays, or injections are often required. These routes of administration bypass the need for intrinsic factor. It is good that eggs work for you!
Kind of makes one wonder if something else is going on, huh?

Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: kland] #142114
05/07/12 03:37 PM
05/07/12 03:37 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
The vegan diet is not the most healthful. Those who study Mrs. White's writings carefully already know this. But why?
Yes, but why?
But why would they "know this"?
I study Mrs. White's writings carefully, but I do not know this.

Here is a statement that expresses Mrs. White's position on the topic.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The time will come when we may have to discard some of the articles of diet we now use, such as milk and cream and eggs, but my message is that you must not bring yourself to a time of trouble beforehand, and thus afflict yourself with death. Wait till the Lord prepares the way before you. {12MR 177.1}

The reforms that are strained to the highest tension might accommodate a certain class who can obtain all they need to take the place of the things discarded, but this class forms a very small minority of the people, to whom these tests seem unnecessary. There are those who try to abstain from what is declared to be harmful. They fail to supply the system with proper nourishment, and as a consequence become weak and unable to work. Thus health reform is brought into disrepute. The work we have tried to build up solidly is confused with strange things that God has not required. The energies of the church are crippled. {12MR 177.2}

But God will interfere to prevent the results of these too-strenuous ideas. The gospel is to harmonize the sinful race. It is to bring the rich and the poor together at the feet of Jesus. {12MR 177.3}

This is all I can write today, for the mail must go soon. But I wish to say that when the time comes that it is no longer safe to use milk, cream, butter, and eggs, God will reveal this. No extremes in health reform are to be advocated. The question of using milk and butter and eggs will work out its own problem. At present we have no burden on this line. Let your moderation be known unto all men.--Letter 37, 1901, pp. 1-13. (To Dr. and Mrs. Kress, May 29, 1901.)

White Estate Washington, D. C. Dec. 2, 1982 {12MR 178.1}

There are vegans who are becoming "weak and unable to work" as well. Generally speaking, such individuals do not advertise their disability, nor perhaps even connect it to their diet.

Interestingly, Ellen White says "God will interfere to prevent the results of these too-strenuous ideas."

God bless,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: kland] #142115
05/07/12 03:43 PM
05/07/12 03:43 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Maybe your part of the world is different than in the states. In our church of about 200, there are only about 4 or 5 who could even be accused of being a vegan. And that's only if you don't watch what they eat.

I guess I'm saying that some of these so called vegans, even if they truly eat that way and not confounded as others have pointed out switched when they started having problems, that even then, they may be doing what Ellen White was cautioning people about eggs and milk in her day. That is, they did not replace the bad with something good, and then were damaging their health. It is better to keep the milk and eggs than to do what they were doing. But, it's best to switch your diet, to have true health reform.

When will this time of 100+ years "soon" come to give up milk and eggs. How will you know? Relating how Ellen White talks to how the Bible or Jesus talks does not seem relevant to me. Ellen White expected Jesus to come in her youth. "Soon" should mean something different. Look at the dates of your quotes.

Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: kland] #142117
05/07/12 03:50 PM
05/07/12 03:50 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
The reforms that are strained to the highest tension might accommodate a certain class who can obtain all they need to take the place of the things discarded, but this class forms a very small minority of the people,

When was this written?
Who cannot obtain in 2012?
Are you of those?

Quote:
They fail to supply the system with proper nourishment, and as a consequence become weak and unable to work.
Well said.

Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: kland] #142118
05/07/12 03:54 PM
05/07/12 03:54 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
But hey, enjoy eggs, enjoy milk, enjoy pork and octopi. For tomorrow we die.

For surely God will wink at our love of food
and not hold it against us
till it come out our nostrils...

Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: APL] #142125
05/07/12 04:55 PM
05/07/12 04:55 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Since this thread seems to focus on milk and eggs and what EGW has said about them, we need to be sure we see the spectrum of comments she has made. Here are 2:
Quote:
Milk, eggs, and butter should not be classed with flesh meat. In some cases the use of eggs is beneficial. The time has not come to say that the use of milk and eggs should be wholly discarded.... {CD 365.3}
Let the diet reform be progressive. Let the people be taught how to prepare food without the use of milk or butter. Tell them that the time will soon come when there will be no safety in using eggs, milk, cream, or butter, because disease in animals is increasing in proportion to the increase of wickedness among men. The time is near when, because of the iniquity of the fallen race, the whole animal creation will groan under the diseases that curse our earth. God will give His people ability and tact to prepare wholesome food without these things. Let our people discard all unwholesome recipes. {CD 366.1}
I think this is clear. Let the people be taught how to eliminate milk and eggs. The time is coming, and hints are we are on the edge of that time now "in my opinion", that the animal creation is suffering more disease. Buying commercially provided milk and eggs, we have NO IDEA the health of the animals

Quote:
Those who live in new countries or in poverty-stricken districts where fruits and nuts are scarce, should not be urged to exclude milk and eggs from their dietary. It is true that persons in full flesh and in whom the animal passions are strong need to avoid the use of stimulating foods. Especially in families of children who are given to sensual habits, eggs should not be used. But in the case of persons whose blood-making organs are feeble,--especially if other foods to supply the needed elements cannot be obtained,-- milk and eggs should not be wholly discarded. Great care should be taken, however, to obtain milk from healthy cows and eggs from healthy fowls, that are well fed and well cared for; and the eggs should be so cooked as to be most easily digested. {CD 365.1}
The diet reform should be progressive. As disease in animals increases, the use of milk and eggs will become more and more unsafe. An effort should be made to supply their place with other things that are healthful and inexpensive. The people everywhere should be taught how to cook without milk and eggs, so far as possible, and yet have their food wholesome and palatable. {CD 365.2}
So - there are those for whom eggs should NOT be eaten. And there are those, whose "blood making organs are weak", (Green?) should not give up eggs. BUT - GREAT CARE should be given in selecting the animals where eggs and milk come from. This can NOT be done if bought in the usual commercial venues.

It is clear, we need to teach people now, how to cook without milk and eggs, the "now" was true in EGW's time. We must not condemn those who can not give up their use, for health or economic issues. We must not condemn those that find it healthful to give these items. There are extremists on both sides! If we think that just because we give up meat and other animal products that we will be disease free, we are kidding ourselves.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: APL] #142151
05/08/12 02:00 AM
05/08/12 02:00 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

I appreciate your balanced approach here. I think we should be doing more to teach people how to cook delicious vegan foods. The time will come when such knowledge will be very valuable. Even now, many non-vegans could benefit from vegan cookery at least part of the time. Mrs. White never stated that one must eat eggs or milk for every meal.

Since the liver can store B12 for a long time, there may not even be a need to use eggs or dairy products every week or every month. Of course, there are other reasons to use them besides B12. But many meals can be vegan and delicious. I eat vegan the majority of the time.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: kland] #142154
05/08/12 02:14 AM
05/08/12 02:14 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
But hey, enjoy eggs, enjoy milk, enjoy pork and octopi. For tomorrow we die.

For surely God will wink at our love of food
and not hold it against us
till it come out our nostrils...

A trend I have noticed among vegans is that they somehow connect their diet to sinless living. They frequently view eating an egg or using milk just as they would eating meat or even unclean meats. You are not the first one to bring up the extreme to vilify the moderate.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Why veganism causes premature death [Re: kland] #142157
05/08/12 02:39 AM
05/08/12 02:39 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Quote:
The reforms that are strained to the highest tension might accommodate a certain class who can obtain all they need to take the place of the things discarded, but this class forms a very small minority of the people,

When was this written?
Who cannot obtain in 2012?
Are you of those?

Quote:
They fail to supply the system with proper nourishment, and as a consequence become weak and unable to work.
Well said.

I notice that you missed the sentence in between that says "There are those who try to abstain from what is declared to be harmful." It is by abstaining from these things that are declared to be "harmful" that they "fail to supply the system with proper nourishment." And what are those things? Sugar? Candy? Potato chips?

Obviously not.

The context requires this to be the milk and eggs that she just spoke of a few sentences earlier. Those are frequently declared to be "harmful" but Mrs. White indicates that they are needful for proper nourishment.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!