HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,611
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 25 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 24 25
Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: jamesonofthunder] #145337
09/20/12 02:29 PM
09/20/12 02:29 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Your response says volumes about who you are!

I'm speaking as a moderator here. Please abstain from such comments.

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: Rosangela] #145339
09/20/12 03:55 PM
09/20/12 03:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
M: Nearly everyone I know, the majority of people I meet believe sinning and repenting is normal growth in grace.

R: "We are to grow daily in spiritual loveliness. We shall fail often in our efforts to copy the divine Pattern. We shall often have to bow down to weep at the feet of Jesus, because of our shortcomings and mistakes; but we are not to be discouraged; we are to pray more fervently, believe more fully, and try again with more steadfastness to grow into the likeness of our Lord.--Selected Messages, book 1, pp. 336, 337. {YRP 64.5} I believe in total victory over sin - not, however, as an instantaneous result of the new birth.

True, most newborn believers experience rebirth before they understand "all things whatsoever" Jesus commanded. As such, they cannot possibly imitate Jesus' sinless example. I'm glad you believe total victory over sin is biblical. So many people do not. It's sad. They believe sinning and repenting, sinning and repenting over and over again is normal growth in grace.

Quote:
Are there those here who have been sinning and repenting, sinning and repenting, and will they continue to do so till Christ shall come? May God help us that we may be truly united to Christ, the living vine, and bear fruit to the glory of God! . . . Shall we not break off our sins by righteousness, and have our conversation in heaven, whence we look for our Saviour? {RH, April 21, 1891}

The uncertain experience of many professed Christians--sinning and repenting and continuing in the same dwarfed spiritual condition--is the result of worldliness and unholiness of life. The saving grace of Christ is designed for everyday life. Christ came not to save man in his sins, but from his sins. The principles of truth, abiding in the heart, will sanctify the life. {UL 22.6}

The Bible does not describe newborn believers as people who are sinning and repenting, sinning and repenting over and over again as if it is normal growth in grace. Instead, the Bible describes not sinning as normal. "Perfecting holiness" is normal. True, believers often sin. But the Bible doesn't describe it as normal growth in grace.

You wrote, "I believe in total victory over sin - not, however, as an instantaneous result of the new birth." Is sinning, therefore, a normal result of rebirth? That is, do newborn believers sin while they are abiding in Jesus? If so, are you referring to sins of ignorance? Or, are you referring to known sins? Please cite Bible passages which describe the results of abiding in Jesus as including committing known sins (as opposed to citing examples of believers, like Peter, committing post-conversion sins). Or, do you think Peter was abiding in Jesus when he sinned?

As to MM, what he calls not sinning, IS NOT not sinning. He says he does not sin (because everybody who was born again does not sin), yet he occasionally sins, as everybody else.

Interesting. I didn't realize you think this way about what I believe. Good to know. Actually, though, I believe it is impossible for people who experience true, genuine, thorough rebirth and conversion (as opposed to people who experience rebirth first and then finish converting to living in harmony with "all things whatsoever" Jesus commanded later on) to commit a known sin. They do not and cannot commit a known sin while they are actively, aggressively abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature. To commit a known sin, therefore, they must neglect or refuse to abide in Jesus. In this state, all they can do is sin.

Quote:
1 Peter
2:1 Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
2:3 If so be ye have tasted that the Lord [is] gracious.

James
3:2 If any man offend not in word, the same [is] a perfect man, [and] able also to bridle the whole body.

Colossians
4:12 Epaphras, who is [one] of you, a servant of Christ, saluteth you, always labouring fervently for you in prayers, that ye may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God.

Newborn believers are born again "a perfect man". They have "tasted that the Lord is gracious". They have laid "aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings". They are "able also to bridle the whole body". They "stand perfect and complete in all the will of God". Of course, this is only true of them while they are actively, aggressively abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature. Otherwise, they resurrect the old man and then all they can do is sin.

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: Mountain Man] #145346
09/20/12 07:00 PM
09/20/12 07:00 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
The Bible does not describe newborn believers as people who are sinning and repenting, sinning and repenting over and over again as if it is normal growth in grace.

True. The Bible promises victory over sin.

Quote:
You wrote, "I believe in total victory over sin - not, however, as an instantaneous result of the new birth." Is sinning, therefore, a normal result of rebirth? That is, do newborn believers sin while they are abiding in Jesus? If so, are you referring to sins of ignorance? Or, are you referring to known sins?

No, newborn believers don't sin while they are abiding in Jesus. The problem is, as I said, that abiding in Jesus is a learned experience, and something which grows with time - that is, each day you abide more and more in Jesus; the ideal state is when you never cease to abide in Jesus - then, of course, you no longer sin (this is what happened with Enoch and will happen with the 144,000). But, until that happens, Christians "shall fail often" in their efforts to copy the divine Pattern. Therefore, it cannot be said that they "do not sin." This translation is wrong. The correct translation should be that they "do not habitually sin."

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: Rosangela] #145348
09/20/12 08:15 PM
09/20/12 08:15 PM
jamesonofthunder  Offline OP
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Have you understood what I wrote? Please read it again:

Quote:
I believe in total victory over sin - not, however, as an instantaneous result of the new birth.

Total victory over sin IS NOT an instantaneous result of the new birth. If it were, nobody would ever have sinned after being born again. Have you never sinned after having been born again? That was not my experience - nor Paul's, nor Peter's, nor John's, nor Ellen White's. All of us have sinned after the new birth. The EGW quote I posted says that "We shall fail often in our efforts to copy the divine Pattern." Total victory over sin (which is what the 144,000 will have) is a fruit of growth and maturity in the Christian life.

In case you have a different opinion, we shall agree to disagree.

You still don't comment on the quotes? Did YOU understand what I quoted? You obviously do not get it Mrs Moderator.

Can you abide in Christ and still sin is the issue.

If I sin I am not bold enough to say I am remaining in Christ by doing so, like you seem to be saying. Could Adam say He was remaining in Christ while he ate the fruit? He was first brought to his knees in repentance for the great disaster he caused (Like every sin causes) and after he repented he suffered the humiliation of his fallen condition for a thousand years, but He was saved through faith in the end of his life. When he fell was he still "in Christ"? You are mad if you think he was.

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO SIN AND REMAIN IN CHRIST AT THAT MOMENT.

The wages of sin is death. The moment after you sin you better be on your knees praying for mercy or you could die in that sin.

The instant you sin, you are on Satan's ground.

"How many will make an offering to the Lord of the whole being, to be used as a temple for His indwelling? Seek the Lord while He may be found. As you give yourself to Him to be cleansed from all sin, He will accept you as His child. He has revealed His love for you by sending His Son to this world to die for you, and He will help you to serve Him. {7MR 8.4}

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: jamesonofthunder] #145349
09/20/12 08:24 PM
09/20/12 08:24 PM
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Would you agree Moses was in Christ?

Then why was the angel going to destroy him for not having son circumcised?

It is because he had neglected God's command to do so, and this is sin.

Doesn't it seem harsh that God would destroy Moses for not circumcising his son? It was because he was acting as God's representative and not listening to God, because his wife didn't want her son circumcised.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: jamesonofthunder] #145351
09/20/12 09:54 PM
09/20/12 09:54 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
You obviously do not get it Mrs Moderator.

Can you abide in Christ and still sin is the issue.

If I sin I am not bold enough to say I am remaining in Christ by doing so, like you seem to be saying.

And you obviously didn't understand what I said. My contention has to do with the new birth. The fact that someone has been born again doesn't mean he does not sin. 1 John 3:9 says:

"Everyone who has been born of God does not commit sin, because His seed remains in him, and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God."

This translation is inaccurate. "Everyone who has been born of God does not sin habitually" would be the correct translation.

The same is true about 1Jo 5:18:

"We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not."

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: Rosangela] #145352
09/20/12 10:30 PM
09/20/12 10:30 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
1 John 3:9 says:

"Everyone who has been born of God does not commit sin, because His seed remains in him, and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God."

This translation is inaccurate. "Everyone who has been born of God does not sin habitually" would be the correct translation.

Rosangela, I don't see that word "habitually" in the Scripture4all software. Could you indicate which greek word the "habitually" correspond to in that verse?

Also could you state specifically what inaccuracy you see in 1Jon 5:18

Blessings
Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: Rosangela] #145354
09/20/12 11:09 PM
09/20/12 11:09 PM
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Was Moses a habitual sinner? Yet the angel was going to destroy him for one sin, which was actually his wife's sin enforced on his love relationship with her, and he was going to die? If he was "in Christ" at that moment why would the angel destroy him? But he had already spoken with God at the burning bush so he was already abiding in Christ or he would have been destroyed standing in the presence of God. So he had to have left the security of God to be threatened with death like that.

Here is a good question. Was David abiding in Christ when he took his best servants wife and had him killed? NO WAY! He had tasted the grace of God and had walked in the body of Christ from the day he was anointed by Samuel. He was literally part of the body of Christ as the great, great, great,....grandfather of Jesus, yet he was convicted of the most horrendous crime. Was he abiding in Christ then?

Was Solomon abiding in Christ when he took wives from other nations and started worshiping their gods? He left that protection when he sinned, and if God would have permitted him to die, Solomon would not be saved.

When David chose to sin he also was stepping out from under the shadow of the Almighty, and if he had not repented the savior would have come another way, but there is no way you are going to tell me that at that point, when in the throws of sin and betrayal, that David was in Christ.

The point is, if we stay in Christ we do not sin. If we sin and repent we are forgiven, but if we do not repent we lose the grace of God.

The reason this point is so important is, what you are advocating is paramount to believing "once saved always saved". If you looked beyond what you are saying, you would see the flaws in your doctrines.

From the moment we are led by the Spirit to repent for what we did to GOD by our sins, which is true repentance, unlike those who are just trying to avoid the wrath of God, we are absolutely free of sin in the Fathers eyes. It is the faith of Christ that develops this trust so we continue to abide in Christ. Some people receive this faith right away, some it takes a lifetime. If we fall we have an advocate to get us back on the path.

Why did Jesus call the apostles "slow of faith"? Yet Jesus testified that the Samarian woman and the Roman Centurion were great of faith, why? Those two witnesses to God's grace saw how they deserved death, they recognized their lack of any merits to meet with God and were willing to do what ever it takes to receive grace.

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: jamesonofthunder] #145355
09/21/12 12:13 AM
09/21/12 12:13 AM
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Another point is, we as a people who claim the testimony of Jesus which is the Spirit of Prophecy are effected by sin as a group although responsibility is individual.

Like the sin of Achan that brought the suffering and death on the collective children of Israel, our church, the Seventh Day Adventist Church is being effected by decisions made by a few leaders and the effects are felt by the whole body. We need to be of those who sigh and cry for the abominations done in the sanctuary of God by our church, Laodicea, the judged people.

Re: "How to attain Christian perfection" [Re: jamesonofthunder] #145356
09/21/12 12:37 AM
09/21/12 12:37 AM
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
You have to be born again to enter into the body of Christ, they are one in the same in meaning.

Page 15 of 25 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 24 25

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!