HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,641
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, daylily, dedication, Kevin H), 3,282 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Re: Did God kill Christ? #14686
06/29/05 02:07 AM
06/29/05 02:07 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Thank you Mark for your comments. It is wonderful to rejoice in the glory of the Lord.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14687
06/29/05 02:13 AM
06/29/05 02:13 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Rosangela,

By what spirit, means and ways will you forgive unconditionally, while God can only forgive conditionally?

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14688
06/29/05 12:33 PM
06/29/05 12:33 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Rosangela, the above says, that "IF" we confess - he is faithful and just. Doesn't that mean that if we do not confess, he is not faithful and not just? It is truly amazing what we can make the Lord be; how we can change God, and what he is; just by us confessing, repenting, and changing our mind. If you apply the one like that why not the other?

Rom 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

Exo 33:19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD

Exo 34:6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
Exo 34:7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty;

Psa 107:8 Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!

Amen

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14689
06/30/05 03:41 AM
06/30/05 03:41 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
Rosangela, the above says, that "IF" we confess - he is faithful and just. Doesn't that mean that if we do not confess, he is not faithful and not just?
No, John. Of course, IF we don’t confess, He is faithful and just to not forgive, because forgiveness without repentance and confession is just a lie, and God doesn't want the sinner to deceive himself.
That's also the reason why God's forgiveness is conditional. Forgiveness without sincere repentance would lead to perdition, not to salvation.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14690
06/29/05 04:02 PM
06/29/05 04:02 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

The text means that applying the efficacy of Christ's blood to our lives will ensure that we aren't negatively affected when His wrath against sin is manifested.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14691
06/29/05 05:17 PM
06/29/05 05:17 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela, for God as for men, there is both unilateral and bilateral forgiveness. A reconciliation can only take place if there is bilateral forgiveness. If someone wrongs us, we forgive them *before* they ask us for it. At least, that's the way it's supposed to work. If we are to forgive our enemies, it's not likely they are asking us for forgiveness.

However, although we have forgiven them in our hearts, we cannot be reconciled to them unless there is repentance on their part (assuming they have wronged us) and an acceptance of our forgiveness. This isn't because we are making a requirement of them, but that's just the way things are.

Similarly, God forgave us before we asked. "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do" exhibits this aspect of God's graciousness. It's obvious that God forgave unconditionally because if He hadn't, we'd all be dead. Sin results in death, yet we are alive. Why? Because God has forgiven us.

Statements to the effect that forgiveness is not unconditional are dealing with bilateral forgiveness. The relationship cannot be healed if we do not repent. Not because God is unwilling, but our hatred, anger and misunderstanding of Him will continue until we repent. "Repent" means to change one's mind, and until we change our mind from hating God, being angry at Him, and misunderstanding Him we will remain "de mal" (at odds) with Him.

So with both God and men we have:
1) Forgiveness takes place in the heart of the one offended.
2) Forgiveness is received on the part of the offending party on the condition of repentance.

1) takes place *before* 2). 1) is not conditional upon 2), but 2) has it's conditions, which are not arbitrary, but just reflect reality. You can't receive someone else's forgiveness if you persist in being angry at them.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14692
06/29/05 05:20 PM
06/29/05 05:20 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
His blood will protect us from a sin-avenging God.
I asked what this meant, and you wrote:

quote:
The text means that applying the efficacy of Christ's blood to our lives will ensure that we aren't negatively affected when His wrath against sin is manifested.
which is just replacing one thing of which the meaning is unclear to me with another. So I'll repeat my question in reference to this explanation. What does this mean?

Also, did you understand my explanation, and did you agree with it?

Thanks.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14693
06/29/05 09:34 PM
06/29/05 09:34 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
I think Rosangela you do not realize how big the “IF” is. There is more truth to that than you care to admit. You only take part of it, the part that agrees with you, but not the whole of it.

One who does not repent thinks himself right. Therefore God is unfaithful, unjust, unforgiving, and does not cleanse such righteousness for they are right. Here God is like the unrepentant one.

One who repents does so because he thinks God right. Therefore God is faithful, just, forgiving such sins and cleanses from all unrighteousness. Here God is the way he is.

quote:
With what judgment you judge you will be judged.

Luk 19:22 And he saith unto him, Out of thine own mouth will I judge thee, thou wicked servant. Thou knewest that I was an austere man, taking up that I laid not down, and reaping that I did not sow:

This servant held him to be austere, so he was. Another held him to be merciful, so he was.

So what we have been here trying to convey is what God is really like, and not what sinners make him out to be. What God is, is what saves. Why do you think he gives us his spirit?

God has revealed his glory. Christ has brought to us and given us his glory. He is calling us to his glory. What is that glory?

The way you view him is the way he will show himself to you. Sobering?

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14694
06/29/05 10:09 PM
06/29/05 10:09 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This is what Ps. 18 says:

quote:

With the kind You show Yourself kind;
With the blameless You show Yourself blameless;
With the pure You show Yourself pure,
And with the crooked You show Yourself crooked. (Ps. 18:25, 26; I changed the last word from "astute" to "crooked")

This is bringing out the idea that we perceive God according to our own character, which brings out the importance of seeing God as He really is, since that has such a profound impact on our own character.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14695
06/30/05 06:44 AM
06/30/05 06:44 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Thanks Tom: I always was vague on the last sentence of that verse; now it clicks!

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!