HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,611
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What Do the Mormons Believe? #146393
10/28/12 10:17 PM
10/28/12 10:17 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
In light of the fact that the U.S. presidential candidate Romney is a Mormon, what exactly do the Mormons believe?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: What Do the Mormons Believe? [Re: Daryl] #146479
11/01/12 03:16 PM
11/01/12 03:16 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
There must be Internet links out there that will answer my question, therefore, will look for some when I have more time.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: What Do the Mormons Believe? [Re: Daryl] #146487
11/01/12 05:20 PM
11/01/12 05:20 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I found this interesting. It is the explanation of the 13 articles of faith of the mormons given by Beth Johnston, a former mormon:

Quote:
LDS Article 1: "We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost."

"Mormons do not believe in the Trinity as we understand it. They believe that God and Jesus were separate physical people" who dwelled on the earth, Johnston said. God was Jesus' father, and both men died.

"They do have a 'Holy Ghost' that is very similar to our understanding of the Holy Spirit," Johnston said.

Article 2: "We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression."

"Mormons do not believe in original sin. In the LDS religion, you can't sin until you reach the age of accountability, which is age 8. We are all born perfect," Johnston explained.

Further, she said, if a child up to 7 years old commits any sin, even crimes such as murder, that child is not held responsible for their actions.

"After age 8 you are accountable. If you don't confess your sins to a bishop and repent, you're punished. These sins range from drinking alcohol, coffee or tea, or smoking cigarettes, to 'major' sins such as adultery, murder, etc." Johnston said.

The punishment, Johnston said, is that you don't get to reach the third heaven, where God dwells.

"There is no hell (in the Mormon religion)," she said. "There are three heavens, and you get into them depending on if you are a Mormon or not, if you are a good person but never a Mormon, or if you are a good Mormon who lives a righteous life."

Mormons do believe Lucifer was Jesus' brother, back on the original earth, where God and Jesus dwelled.

"This goes back to the theology that we were all spirit children together with God in the 'pre-existence,'" Johnston said.

The third heaven itself has three levels, based on piety. In order to reach the highest level, "where you can get your own planet, you must be a good Mormon, followed all the rules, married, in the temple …" Johnston explained.

"They don't believe in a hell, per se … everyone, unless you're really bad, goes to the first heaven, whether they are Mormon or not. They do believe in an 'outer darkness,' but that's muddy … they aren't really clear on the kind of people who would go there."

Article 3: "We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel."

"This is basically the same as what I said before (on article 2). There is a general salvation, but to dwell with God, you have to be good. It delivers a lot of pressure," Johnston said.

"You have to repent of every sin, pay your 10 percent tithe, raise your kids in the faith … it's just this huge weight and this huge burden," she said.

Article 4: "We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost."

"It's absolutely required that you be baptized by immersion and receive the laying on of hands," Johnston said. "If you're not baptized, you're not saved."

Temples serve the purpose of atoning for those who have passed. Mormons go there, after getting a list of people (based on extensive genealogy research) to be baptized on behalf of. So basically, Johnston said, you're working to save yourself and to save people who are already dead.

"Baptism happens for children at age 8. At age 12 they are allowed to go to the temple and do baptisms for the dead, and there is a lot more that happens at the temple. We would go like, twice every year as a youth group … they dunk you 'on behalf of so-and-so', and then repeat it about 10 times for different names. Then you go into this room and [church leaders] confirm them," she said. "There are thousands – probably more than that – being done every day across the world."

Article 5: "We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof."

"When Christ was on earth, He set up a priesthood and an organization of the church," Johnston said. "After he died, the people fell away and the priesthood left the earth. It didn't return until the priesthood was given to Joseph Smith."

That means that born-again believers, Catholics, Jews and any other religion does not have "the fullness of the gospel" and therefore does not preach the true gospel.

Article 6: "We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth."

"This one is pretty self-explanatory. They (Mormons) believe that they have reorganized the church to be the same as when Jesus Christ was on the earth," Johnston said.

Article 7: "We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth."

"This stuff was very common in the early Mormon Church, but it's not something you see very much in the modern church," Johnston said.

"Now it's basically more that missionaries have the gift of tongues because they speak foreign languages. Healing – priests can heal with prayer and atonement."

Article 8: "We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God."

"That one opens the door," Johnston said. "That's where the can of worms comes out."

"When this was taught to me as a child – they started by asking us to play the telephone game, where you whisper a phrase in your neighbor's ear and it is passed down the line," she said. "Obviously, at the end, the original phrase had changed and no longer resembles what was said at the beginning. The comparison was then made to the Bible – that it has been changed and revised over the years and so we can't completely trust that it is accurate."

"The problem with this is that this is a case of transmission error – not translation error. Very different things," Johnston said.

"Unfortunately – this understanding that the Bible is not trustworthy – has huge implications. In enables what I call the 'salad bar effect' wherein people can pick and choose which parts of the Bible they want to use/believe/learn from. If something makes you uncomfortable or doesn't fit with your particular theology – you can throw it out. Add to that the fact that they believe the Book of Mormon to be 'another testament of Christ.' Now any uncomfortable doctrines from the Bible can be explained by this new book of scripture," she said.

"I can't count how many times as a teenager, I was challenged by my Christian friends about a scripture in the Bible such as Ephesians 2:8. I would be confused – but when I would bring it up to my parents or church leaders they would show me something like 2 Nephi 25:23 where it says we are saved by grace 'after all we can do.'" Johnston said.

Article 9: "We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God."

"[In the LDS religion] there is a living prophet with continuous revelation," Johnston explained. "But they haven't added any new scripture in a long time. The last revelation took place in 1978, allowing blacks to receive the priesthood."

To be fair, she noted, a lot of churches held similar beliefs about blacks until the Civil Rights movement. "The Mormons were just behind the times."

Article 10: "We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory."

"Basically, the 10 tribes that were lost (in the original priesthood) will come back and gather in Missouri," Johnston said. "That's where the Garden of Eden was and that's where Christ will be raised."

Article 11: "We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may."

"This was a reaction to the times," Johnston said. "Mormons were being persecuted, chased out … basically, it's saying 'don't persecute us and we won't persecute you.'"

Article 12: "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law."

Johnston said this article is pretty straightforward. Mormons do not rebel against authority and they are not revolutionary.

"They may not agree with a leader but they will respect his authority," she said.

Article 13: "We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul – We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

"I believe this is honestly what they believe. I think Mormons, just like people of any other faith, want to do the right thing," Johnston said. "They want to be honest, true, chaste, benevolent, etc. They are generous and kind and hard working. They love, honor and worship God. Unfortunately, they have a false understanding of who God is and as a result, they live with a huge burden to be good enough and do enough, [so] that Jesus will save them 'after all they can do.' It's very sad, really," she said.

Johnston said that it's important for people to understand that different Mormons hold different understandings of the religion.

"Because the teaching is so fluid, you can talk to three different Mormons and get three different answers," she said. "I can't emphasize enough that each individual Mormon might have a slightly different view of the doctrine. Based on what era you grew up in, what region of the country you grew up in, whether your parents were active or inactive in the church, whether your family was generational Mormon or recent converts – all of these things affect what you were taught."

Johnston had one last admonishment for Christians who are trying to understand and witness to Mormons.

"If I had any advice for a Christian who wanted to witness to a Mormon it would be to know your Bible! Don't worry so much about what Mormons believe – know what you believe! And take a very serious and in-depth look at the historicity of the Bible – how did we get it, and can it be trusted? You should be able to confidently answer these questions before you attempt to share your faith."

Read more at http://www.christianpost.com/news/what-d...UM7kc4uxqiHe.99

Re: What Do the Mormons Believe? [Re: Rosangela] #146517
11/02/12 06:23 PM
11/02/12 06:23 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
A bit much, really, strictly speaking.

The problem, generally, from a British perspective, is that the head of state over here doesn't officially promote Christianity like our Queen does, especially in our Christmas broadcast, and personally and constitutionally. This problem has an up-side, though, when it comes to non-Christians, like Mormons. grin

...or the chap with the badge right now: moslem or not? - but he doesn't promote it openly!

No, Mormons are not Christians.

Re: What Do the Mormons Believe? [Re: Colin] #146525
11/02/12 11:49 PM
11/02/12 11:49 PM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
The scary part of the Mormon faith is a belief that Jesus "Michael", and Lucifer were born brothers. (Sounds like an episode of 'Smallville') And the whole heavenly mother thing, but this one point throws a huge light on their faith.

We know that only in the sense that Jesus treated Lucifer as a brother, was he one. Jesus appeared before the angels as an angel, as their brother in obedience to the Father. Lucifer was floored when he found out that Jesus, Michael, who was the Archangel/covering cherub at the gate to the throne of the Father across from him to the north, was the Son of God. Lucifer was the one on the south.

Even though the position of Michael was greater than Lucifer, to the north between Lucifer and the Father, Jesus never Lorded His authority over Him. This generally accepted situation combined with the authority given him over the other angels and the splendor he was created with, Lucifer assumed things, and emboldened himself in self exaltation and that lead to his sin.

Jesus had not shared this information with him before. So imagine the scene.

Now see why Satan has a people in the Mormons.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: What Do the Mormons Believe? [Re: jamesonofthunder] #146528
11/03/12 12:47 AM
11/03/12 12:47 AM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Lucifer failed the test presented to him within the bounds of liberty, of self-exaltation. Then he sinned and proposed to confuse men on this subject because of his hate towards God. Every created being who makes it to eternity will have been tested on this subject; putting self in the place that only God should occupy.

All of the angels who did not fall, passed this test and are secure in their faith because they have seen the results of sin in the crucifixion of Christ. That is truly when Satan was cast down form heaven.

Eve exalted herself in the Garden and Adam couldn't live without Eve, and so the story goes as a pattern in mortality.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: What Do the Mormons Believe? [Re: jamesonofthunder] #146801
11/10/12 07:01 PM
11/10/12 07:01 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
For an interesting book, which the Mormans do not like, see:

Jon Krakauer, UNDER THE BANNER OF HEAVEN, 2003 & 2004.

It gives a lot of Morman history.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: What Do the Mormons Believe? [Re: Gregory] #146802
11/10/12 07:04 PM
11/10/12 07:04 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
James, Son of Thunder said:
Quote:
The scary part of the Mormon faith is a belief that Jesus "Michael", and Lucifer were born brothers. (Sounds like an episode of 'Smallville') And the whole heavenly mother thing, but this one point throws a huge light on their faith.

This has major implications of which James has only hinted.

There is reason for many denominations considering Mormans as being outside the Christian faith. Their God and Jesus are not the same as the God and Christ of most Christians.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: What Do the Mormons Believe? [Re: Gregory] #146803
11/10/12 07:10 PM
11/10/12 07:10 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
From Wickepedia:

Quote:
Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith (ISBN 1-4000-3280-6) is an investigative nonfiction book by best-selling author Jon Krakauer, first published in July 2003. It is a juxtaposition of two stories: the origin and evolution of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons), and a modern double murder committed in the name of God by brothers Ron and Dan Lafferty, who subscribed to a fundamentalist version of Mormonism.

The book examines the ideologies of both The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the fundamentalist Mormons polygamous groups, such as the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints ("FLDS").

The historical part as to the origon and development of the Morman Church is of great interest to me.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: What Do the Mormons Believe? [Re: Gregory] #146805
11/10/12 07:35 PM
11/10/12 07:35 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
http://www.exmormonfoundation.org/bookstore.html

The above URL will inform you of a number of books about the Mormans. The quality and focus will vary from book to book.

Gregory
May God's will be done.

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!