HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 62 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 61 62
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: jamesonofthunder] #146974
11/15/12 02:36 AM
11/15/12 02:36 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: jamesonofthunder
APL, It is so obvious that you do not realize that we are in the middle of a battle against demons.

I wonder what APL has said to justify this statement?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: jamesonofthunder] #146977
11/15/12 03:36 AM
11/15/12 03:36 AM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
He even had the voice of God telling him how he could be accepted the next time he offered and what did he do? He killed his brother because he was accepted.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: jamesonofthunder] #146979
11/15/12 03:44 AM
11/15/12 03:44 AM
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
"Some may look upon this slaying of the (Red) heifer as a meaningless ceremony, but it was done by the command of God and bears a deep significance that has not lost its application to the present time. {4T 122.1}

Christians who put no thought in the Atonement will not ready for the latter rain!

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Johann] #146980
11/15/12 03:51 AM
11/15/12 03:51 AM
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
The point is, the legality of the written word is for our benefit in present truth. Do not let go of the images God has established foundation-ally through the law and you cannot go wrong. The legal system was for our admonition and benefit more than common man made theories.

There is much fulfilled law to accomplish this. The way it was fulfilled in love gives us the nurturing part but even then it is symbolized by very specific images and you have touched on one dimension of it claiming it is all and all. (APL)

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: jamesonofthunder] #146983
11/15/12 04:43 AM
11/15/12 04:43 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: APL
Originally Posted By: MM
"He died to make an atonement, to redeem, cleanse, restore, and exalt man to a place at his right hand."
Where is the legal part in this statement?

Atonement.

This sacrificial offering has both legality and love intermingled.

Was it proper to bring what God had not asked for to make atonement? Was Cain's offering accepted? He 'legally' needed to be connected with God through obedience in following God's word to be redeemed. But he failed to meet the legal requirements so he did not benefit from the offering.

Atonement = at-one-ment. this is not a legal process. Do you want to live next to a legally pardoned pedophile, or next to a changed/born again child of God? They both have the same past history, but one has been transformed. 1 John 1:9, if we confess our sins, he will forgive our sins. And even more, cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Forgive - Aphiemi. This is what happened not in the offended person, God, but in the offender, us, the sinners. This forgive is the cleansing of unrighteousness. The removal of sin. That is what this word forgiveness means. It is not a legal transaction, it is a healing transaction.

Cain - is religion really a legal requirement? Was that Cain's problem? He did not follow the legal requirements? I would suggest you see what EGW says about "legal religion". Here is one: "A legal religion can never lead souls to Christ; for it is a loveless, Christless religion." There are many more...

Lastly, I would recommend the book "Ministry of Healing" chapter 41. Take the recommendations to heart. And do note, it is the "Ministry of Healing", not the "Ministry of jurisprudence".

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #146984
11/15/12 04:55 AM
11/15/12 04:55 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
A quote from Steps to Christ, chapter 5.

Originally Posted By: SC
By nature we are alienated from God. The Holy Spirit describes our condition in such words as these: "Dead in trespasses and sins;" "the whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint;" "no soundness in it." We are held fast in the snare of Satan, "taken captive by him at his will." Ephesians 2:1; Isaiah 1:5, 6; 2 Timothy 2:26. God desires to heal us, to set us free. But since this requires an entire transformation, a renewing of our whole nature, we must yield ourselves wholly to Him. {SC 43.2}
The warfare against self is the greatest battle that was ever fought. The yielding of self, surrendering all to the will of God, requires a struggle; but the soul must submit to God before it can be renewed in holiness. {SC 43.3}
The government of God is not, as Satan would make it appear, founded upon a blind submission, an unreasoning control. It appeals to the intellect and the conscience. "Come now, and let us reason together" is the Creator's invitation to the beings He has made. Isaiah 1:18. God does not force the will of His creatures. He cannot accept an homage that is not willingly and intelligently given. A mere forced submission would prevent all real development of mind or character; it would make man a mere automaton. Such is not the purpose of the Creator. He desires that man, the crowning work of His creative power, shall reach the highest possible development. He sets before us the height of blessing to which He desires to bring us through His grace. He invites us to give ourselves to Him, that He may work His will in us. It remains for us to choose whether we will be set free from the bondage of sin, to share the glorious liberty of the sons of God. {SC 43.4}
God does not want to remove a legal declaration against us. He wants to "HEAL" us, to restore us to His original creation, maybe even with upgrades. This required a "RENEWING OF OUR WHOLE NATURE". This is a healing process, not a legal process. The only way we can be saved, is if we are born again, recreated. Then, and only then is the law satisfied. The regeneration can only be done by Christ. It took His death on the cross to achieve this. This is what Isaiah 53:11 is saying. "by His knowledge, shall my righteous servant justify many". Read all of Isaiah 53. Read Isaiah 52. Matthew 8:17 quoting Isaiah 53 says, he carried our "sickness"! If you compare Isaiah 53:11 with Titus 3:5-7, what do we find? The Bible definition of Grace. We are justified by His Grace (Titus) = by His knowledge we are justified (Isaiah). It was by His death on the cross that he gained this knowledge. See Hebrews 2, particularly, Hebrews 2:11-18. Verse 18 says, Hebrews 2:18 For in that he himself has suffered being tempted, he is able to succor them that are tempted. It was by His experience that He has the knowledge to justify us, to succor us that are tempted. Yes, Jesus had to die to satisfy the law. But it is not a legal issue, it is a real issue he solved.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #146988
11/15/12 06:14 AM
11/15/12 06:14 AM
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Like I said before, YES there is the ultimate healing involved, but it is in fulfillment of the LAW!

Jesus sinned not, fulfilling perfection as a man so we know where the source of strength is, in fulfillment of the law, He overcame sin for us.

I am saying, you do not consider this.

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #146989
11/15/12 06:32 AM
11/15/12 06:32 AM
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Originally Posted By: APL
Atonement = at-one-ment. this is not a legal process. (?) Do you want to live next to a legally pardoned pedophile, or next to a changed/born again child of God? They both have the same past history, but one has been transformed. 1 John 1:9, if we confess our sins, he will forgive our sins. And even more, cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Forgive - Aphiemi. This is what happened not in the offended person, God, but in the offender, us, the sinners. This forgive is the cleansing of unrighteousness. The removal of sin. That is what this word forgiveness means. It is not a legal transaction, it is a healing transaction.

Cain - is religion really a legal requirement? Was that Cain's problem? He did not follow the legal requirements? I would suggest you see what EGW says about "legal religion". Here is one: "A legal religion can never lead souls to Christ; for it is a loveless, Christless religion." There are many more...

Lastly, I would recommend the book "Ministry of Healing" chapter 41. Take the recommendations to heart. And do note, it is the "Ministry of Healing", not the "Ministry of jurisprudence".

Circular logic.

By the way, I love the book "Ministry of Healing", in fact I used to give them away at my smoothie shop here in Elk River.

I had a leather bound edition on the counter for all to read.

I especially like when she says this on page 88.6

"The Feast of Tabernacles had just ended. The priests and rabbis at Jerusalem had been defeated in their plottings against Jesus, and, as evening fell, “every man went unto his own house. Jesus went unto the Mount of Olives.” John 7:53; 8:1. {MH 86.1}
From the excitement and confusion of the city, from the eager crowds and the treacherous rabbis, Jesus turned away to the quiet of the olive groves, where He could be alone with God. But in the early morning He returned to the temple; and as the people gathered about Him, He sat down and taught them. {MH 86.2}
He was soon interrupted. A group of Pharisees and scribes approached Him, dragging with them a terror-stricken woman, whom with hard, eager voices they accused of having violated the seventh commandment. Pushing her into the presence of Jesus, they said, with a hypocritical display of respect, “Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest Thou?” Verses 4, 5. {MH 87.1}
Their pretended reverence veiled a deep-laid plot for His ruin. Should Jesus acquit the woman, He might be charged with despising the law of Moses. Should He declare her worthy of death, He could be accused to the Romans as one who assumed authority belonging only to them. {MH 88.1}
Jesus looked upon the scene—the trembling victim in her shame, the hard-faced dignitaries, devoid of even human pity. His spirit of stainless purity shrank from the spectacle. Giving no sign that He had heard the question, He stooped and, fixing His eyes upon the ground, began to write in the dust. {MH 88.2}
Impatient at His delay and apparent indifference the accusers drew nearer, urging the matter upon His attention. But as their eyes, following those of Jesus, fell upon the pavement at His feet, their voices were silenced. There, traced before them, were the guilty secrets of their own lives. {MH 88.3}
Rising, and fixing His eyes upon the plotting elders, Jesus said, “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” Verse 7. And, stooping down, He continued writing. {MH 88.4}
He had not set aside the Mosaic law nor infringed upon the authority of Rome. The accusers were defeated. Now, their robes of pretended holiness torn from them, they stood, guilty and condemned, in the presence of infinite purity. Trembling lest the hidden iniquity of their lives should be laid open to the multitude, with bowed heads and downcast eyes they stole away, leaving their victim with the pitying Saviour. {MH 88.5}
Jesus arose and, looking upon the woman, said, “Where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.” Verses 10, 11. {MH 88.6}
The woman had stood before Jesus, cowering with fear. His words, “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone,” had come to her as a death sentence. She dared not lift her eyes to the Saviour’s face, but silently awaited her doom. In astonishment she saw her accusers depart speechless and confounded; then those words of hope fell upon her ear, “Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.” Her heart was melted, and, casting herself at the feet of Jesus, she sobbed out her grateful love and with bitter tears confessed her sins. {MH 89.1}
This was to her the beginning of a new life, a life of purity and peace, devoted to God. In the uplifting of this fallen soul, Jesus performed a greater miracle than in healing the most grievous physical disease; He cured the spiritual malady which is unto death everlasting. This penitent woman became one of His most steadfast followers. With self-sacrificing love and devotion she showed her gratitude for His forgiving mercy. For this erring woman the world had only contempt and scorn, but the Sinless One pitied her weakness and reached to her a helping hand. While the hypocritical Pharisees denounced, Jesus bade her, “Go, and sin no more.” {MH 89.2}
Jesus knows the circumstances of every soul. The greater the sinner’s guilt, the more he needs the Saviour. His heart of divine love and sympathy is drawn out most of all for the one who is the most hopelessly entangled in the snares of the enemy. With His own blood He has signed the emancipation papers of the race. {MH 89}

Jesus fulfilled the law so He could have this authority as a man. The second Adam. In fulfillment of the LAW in mercy to heal us from the sin problem.

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: jamesonofthunder] #146996
11/15/12 02:10 PM
11/15/12 02:10 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
He even had the voice of God telling him how he could be accepted the next time he offered and what did he do? He killed his brother because he was accepted.

That is not how I read the story in my Bible.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: jamesonofthunder] #146997
11/15/12 04:03 PM
11/15/12 04:03 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Like I said before, YES there is the ultimate healing involved, but it is in fulfillment of the LAW!

Jesus sinned not, fulfilling perfection as a man so we know where the source of strength is, in fulfillment of the law, He overcame sin for us.

I am saying, you do not consider this.
Is the LAW, Proscriptive, Prescriptive, or Descriptive?

Is the law of gravity one of God's laws?
Is the law of gravity, proscriptive, prescriptive, or descriptive?
Can the law of gravity kill?
If gravity kills, is it a legally imposed penalty?

A highway speed limit of 55 miles/hour - is this proscriptive, prescriptive or descriptive?
Is there a natural consequence if you violate the highway speed limit?
If you violate the speed limit, is the penalty intrinsic or imposed?

The law of God, is it proscriptive, prescriptive, or descriptive?
If you violate God's law, is the penalty intrinsic or imposed?
Romans 6:23 - The wages of sin is death. Intrinsic or imposed?
How is justice executed?

EGW:" It is Satan's constant effort to misrepresent the character of God, the nature of sin, and the real issues at stake in the great controversy.{GC-569}

Page 6 of 62 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 61 62

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!