HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 62 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 61 62
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Green Cochoa] #147289
11/22/12 04:51 AM
11/22/12 04:51 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: APL
I kind of liked where you were going with your last post, then you hit this wall, "If the DNA itself contained sin, then we would be trying to stamp it out by changing our DNA. Are we all to be genetic engineers by trade? If God is doing the "engineering," how is it that past sins, already confessed and forsaken, still affect our present health and condition?"

I provided a quote of EGW that addresses this.
Originally Posted By: EGW
When human beings receive holy flesh, they will not remain on the earth, but will be taken to heaven. While sin is forgiven in this life, its results are not now wholly removed. It is at His coming that Christ is to "change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body" (Philippians 3:21). . . .  {2SM 33.3} 

The Scriptures teach us to seek for the sanctification to God of body, soul, and spirit. In this work we are to be laborers together with God. Much may be done to restore the moral image of God in man, to improve the physical, mental, and moral capabilities. Great changes can be made in the physical system by obeying the laws of God and bringing into the body nothing that defiles. And while we cannot claim perfection of the flesh, we may have Christian perfection of the soul.

As to the heredity/genetic paradigm, it is everywhere in the Bible!
  • John 3:3-8 Jesus answered and said to him, Truly, truly, I say to you, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. 4 Nicodemus said to him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? 5 Jesus answered, Truly, truly, I say to you, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Marvel not that I said to you, You must be born again. 8 The wind blows where it wants, and you hear the sound thereof, but can not tell from where it comes, and where it goes: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
  • Galatians 3:28-29 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you be Christ's, then are you Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
  • 1 John 3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knows us not, because it knew him not.

APL,

The "holy flesh" craze was a spiritualistic delusion, and Ellen White has much to say about it.
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The teaching given in regard to what is termed "holy flesh" is an error. All may now obtain holy hearts, but it is not correct to claim in this life to have holy flesh. The apostle Paul declares, "I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing" (Romans 7:18). To those who have tried so hard to obtain by faith so-called holy flesh, I would say, You cannot obtain it. Not a soul of you has holy flesh now. No human being on the earth has holy flesh. It is an impossibility. {2SM 32.1}

I don't think you are using the term in the same context as Mrs. White used it. In any case, it is clear from her statements that "holy flesh" will not be ours prior to the transfiguration at Jesus' coming. Only then will we leave behind our mortality and corruptible for immortality and incorruptible.

Again, if we were required to have "holy flesh" in order to have eradicated sin, then we could not hope to have a "holy heart," could we? But Mrs. White is clear that we certainly may have a holy heart even now.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Did I say that we are required to have "holy flesh"? No. Do righteous people still die this side of the second coming? Yes.
  • Romans 7:15-25
    15 I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.
    16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good.
    17 But in fact it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me.
    18 For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot do it.
    19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do.
    20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me.
    21 So I find it to be a law that when I want to do what is good, evil lies close at hand.
    22 For I delight in the law of God in my inmost self,
    23 but I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind, making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members.
    24 Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?
    25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with my mind I am a slave to the law of God, but with my flesh I am a slave to the law of sin.
EGW tells us this about God's law:
  • God's law is written by His own finger upon every nerve, every muscle, every faculty which has been entrusted to man. {SpM 40.6}
Is she speaking metaphorically, or literally? I read her literally. And the only way I see to take this literally, is to look at where the law is encoded. And the information system of the body is the genome.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #147290
11/22/12 05:01 AM
11/22/12 05:01 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

Let me suggest at least one other way of looking at it.

Addictions:
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Drugs
  • Food
  • Sex
  • Tobacco
  • etc.

Is all of this encoded in the genes? Or is it actually encoded in the body's chemical pathways? Can genes give us "desires?" If we "want" to sin, it was because it was "in our genes?" We had "no choice?"

You might as well just say "the devil made me do it."

The way in which you interpret Paul's statements appears to put them in direct contradiction to one of Jesus' own. He said "no man can serve two masters." How do you explain this?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Green Cochoa] #147291
11/22/12 05:48 AM
11/22/12 05:48 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: GC
APL, WITHOUT A sinless CHRIST WE HAVE NO HOPE!

But, if "sin" is in our DNA, and Christ inherited our DNA by virtue of having been born as a "son of man," taking upon Himself our mortal flesh, then Jesus was NOT sinless, and we really do have no hope!

I really have a hard time understanding how anyone could have difficulty understanding that point. I am soooo glad that sin is not "in the DNA" as you seem to view it. And whether or not you recognize this truth, it is to your benefit that sin was not in Jesus' DNA. A sinner could never have atoned for us. Only a perfect Lamb could suffice.
Have you read the EGW quotes I presented? "Jesus took our nature, but never participated in its sin" {16MR 116.3} Jesus bore our sin in His body on the tree 1 Peter 2:24. He was made like His brothers, Hebrews 2:17. And this: Hebrews 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:
So your idea that if Christ took our nature, that he could not be the Savior fails.
When did Jesus bear our sins? When He was born? Or when they were placed upon Him "on the tree?" If I sprinkle my blood on you, is it also running in your bloodstream? If our sins were placed upon Christ, did they make Him a sinner?
Please explain HOW sins were placed on Christ? Was it a legal transfer? Was Christ "perfect" before the cross? Hebrews 5:8-9 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; 9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation to all them that obey him; John 17:19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. Jesus was born with the same "sickness" we are born with. He worked out the plan of salvation in His life. He sanctified himself, so to be able to santify us.
Does being tempted constitute "sin" in your opinion? Since Jesus was "tempted," He's a sinner now? Or would you agree with me that Jesus never sinned, even though the devil attempted to entice Him to do so?
Temptation is not sin. He was tempted just as we are, yet without sin. He never participated in our sin.
Jesus accepted our flesh, with all of its encumbrances but without its inclinations toward sin. Jesus had no "propensity" toward sin, as is brought out in other statements from Mrs. White which you have not here included. In other words, when Jesus was stung by a bee, it hurt, just as it would for you or me. He may have been tempted by that to become irritable, but He never did. He had no leanings toward sin.
Yes, I know EGW's comments about Jesus' propensities very well. Are you saying Jesus could not be tempted? When did Satan try to tempt Jesus the hardest? When he had been without food for 40 days, in a very weak condition. And yet he did not fall.
We are NOT programmed to sin beyond our ability to choose. Since we cannot choose our DNA any more than by taking thought we can add a cubit to our stature, it is clear that sin cannot be inherent in our DNA. We can choose NOT to sin. Sin is a choice, not a genetic property.
Are you claiming we have the ability in ourselves to not sin? Jesus said, John 15:5 for without me you can do nothing. Without Christ, we are totally lost. The only way we can withstand temptation is by Christ.
Thank you for using the KJV. It translates those verses more accurately, and helps us put them in the proper historical context. Some translations put them in present tense such that it appears that we must continue to sin. There is no statement in all of the Bible that declares we must sin. Praise God! We still have freedom of choice! And God is able to, with the temptation, make a way of escape, that we may be able to bear it!
Hm - All have sinned, Romans 3:23. EGW: "The law requires righteousness,--a righteous life, a perfect character; and this man has not to give. He cannot meet the claims of God's holy law. But Christ, coming to the earth as man, lived a holy life, and developed a perfect character. These He offers as a free gift to all who will receive them. {DA 762.2}"
Quote:
Did Jesus' immune system keep out all viruses? Or did He "sin?" (I think you would agree that permitting "selfishness" would be sin.)

Your error, APL, is to say that the DNA transmits "sin." I'm sure we might both agree that it transmits sins' effects. But there is a difference between cause and effect which must be clearly maintained here. It is a most important distinction, for if sin is in our DNA, we have no hope and no choice.

A virus might be a relic of sin, and it might present object lessons to us in terms of selfishness, but it is not itself sin, nor sinful. A virus has no mind. A virus is not even "alive." It cannot transgress the law of God. In fact, the laws of God are strictly obeyed at all atomic and cellular levels.
EGW: Christ took our nature but "did not participate in its sin". Righteous people get sick and die. Why? SIN. Having sin in our body, and participating with that sin are separate things.
Quote:
If God caused sin to be present in the DNA of all living creatures, how is it that God is not complicit? If God did not do this, who did and how?

You recall, the "curses" came from Whom? Were they for good or for evil?
Did God put sin in our body? NO. Did I claim He did? NO. Who did? Satan. God's Curses - - did God cause evil or did He allow it?
  • Genesis 3:14 And the LORD God said to the serpent, Because you have done this, you are cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; on your belly shall you go, and dust shall you eat all the days of your life:
I think you have some science background, do I recall that? Why does a snake have so many thoracic vertebrae? Do you know? The paper on this was published recently. It is a transposon in the genes, an mobile genetic element, which has messed up the internal clock of the snake during embryogenesis.
  • Genesis 3:17-18 And to Adam he said, Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten of the tree, of which I commanded you, saying, You shall not eat of it: cursed is the ground for your sake; in sorrow shall you eat of it all the days of your life; 18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to you; and you shall eat the herb of the field;
The ground is cursed. Who cursed it? Who causes the thorns and thistles to form? God??? NO!!! All tares are sown by the evil one. Every noxious herb is of his sowing, and by his ingenious methods of amalgamation he has corrupted the earth with tares. {16MR 247.2} Amalgamation - genetic engineering. Do not say God causes all the grief that we now have. This is a charge involved in the great controversy. I think I already addressed the pain of childbirth in a prior post.

You say my error is to say that DNA transmits sin. I say yes! It transmits the disease sin. The symptoms of the disease is pointed out by the 10 commandments. The behavior is not sin, it is the symptoms. Christ took our nature, and cured it, He sanctified Himself for oursake. And when He had "purged our sin" he sat down at the right hand of the Father, Hebrews 1:3. Question - are your sins purged? If not, then what is Paul talking about? He had the same "sin" that we have, and He fixed the problem. This is the plan of Salvation! It is healing. It is not legal, this is not a legal solution, it is a real solution. The problem you have is that you can't believe that sin can be identified. But consider this, the wages of sin is death. If it could be shown that disease, aging, and death is caused by a problem in the genome, would that have any influence on you of what the nature of sin is? Remember, EGW tells us that one of the things that Satan is constantly representing is the "nature of sin", {GC 569.1}

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Green Cochoa] #147292
11/22/12 06:15 AM
11/22/12 06:15 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
APL,

Let me suggest at least one other way of looking at it.

Addictions:
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Drugs
  • Food
  • Sex
  • Tobacco
  • etc.

Is all of this encoded in the genes? Or is it actually encoded in the body's chemical pathways? Can genes give us "desires?" If we "want" to sin, it was because it was "in our genes?" We had "no choice?"

You might as well just say "the devil made me do it."

The way in which you interpret Paul's statements appears to put them in direct contradiction to one of Jesus' own. He said "no man can serve two masters." How do you explain this?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We have choice, and I think the only reason we do is because God stepped in in the beginning. Read Genesis 3:15. To this point EGW says: But when Satan heard the declaration that enmity should exist between himself and the woman, and between his seed and her seed, he knew that his efforts to deprave human nature would be interrupted; that by some means man was to be enabled to resist his power. {GC 505.3}

Our brains have receptors for these substances. Where do these receptors come from? Are they not encoded in our genome? Are not all the receptors, and all the control of all cellular functions, the chemical pathways, controlled by the genome? Are there "pleasures" to sin? Hebrews 11:24-25 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter; 25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;

Do people expirence pleasures with sex, alchohol, nicotine, etc.? Many do! These things can kill them, and they still do them! Why? They are slave to them. I think I would be bold enough to say that ALL sin is addiction: John 8:34 Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, every one who commits sin is a slave to sin." But Christ is the answer: Romans 5:20 Law came in, to increase the trespass; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more,

Remember what EGW wrote in Steps to Christ.
  • God's promise is, "Ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall search for Me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13. {SC 43.1}

The whole heart must be yielded to God, or the change can never be wrought in us by which we are to be restored to His likeness. By nature we are alienated from God. The Holy Spirit describes our condition in such words as these: "Dead in trespasses and sins;" "the whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint;" "no soundness in it." We are held fast in the snare of Satan, "taken captive by him at his will." Ephesians 2:1; Isaiah 1:5, 6; 2 Timothy 2:26. God desires to heal us, to set us free. But since this requires an entire transformation, a renewing of our whole nature, we must yield ourselves wholly to Him. {SC 43.2}

The warfare against self is the greatest battle that was ever fought. The yielding of self, surrendering all to the will of God, requires a struggle; but the soul must submit to God before it can be renewed in holiness. {SC 43.3}
And I like the next paragraph.
  • The government of God is not, as Satan would make it appear, founded upon a blind submission, an unreasoning control. It appeals to the intellect and the conscience. "Come now, and let us reason together" is the Creator's invitation to the beings He has made. Isaiah 1:18. God does not force the will of His creatures. He cannot accept an homage that is not willingly and intelligently given. A mere forced submission would prevent all real development of mind or character; it would make man a mere automaton. Such is not the purpose of the Creator. He desires that man, the crowning work of His creative power, shall reach the highest possible development. He sets before us the height of blessing to which He desires to bring us through His grace. He invites us to give ourselves to Him, that He may work His will in us. It remains for us to choose whether we will be set free from the bondage of sin, to share the glorious liberty of the sons of God. {SC 43.4}
The way we are set free from the "bondage of sin", our addictions, is Jesus Christ.

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Green Cochoa] #147293
11/22/12 06:18 AM
11/22/12 06:18 AM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
"It is the privilege of parents to take their children with them to the gates of the city of God, saying, “I have tried to instruct my children to love the Lord, to do His will, and to glorify Him.” To such the gate will be thrown open, and parents and children will enter in. But all cannot enter. Some are left outside with their children, whose characters have not been transformed by submission to the will of God. A hand is raised, and the words are spoken, “You have neglected home duties. You have failed to do the work that would have fitted the soul for a home in heaven. You cannot enter.” The gates are closed to the children because they have not learned to do the will of God, and to parents because they have neglected the responsibilities resting upon them. [Manuscript 31, 1909.] {CG 13.1}

Pray about this.

How can we have a record of sin if we have not been born yet? Does a baby come from the womb telling lies and chasing the nurses saying "Get me a drink doc"? No, but before our birth, because our parents are fallen since Adam, and because we are born in a fallen world to parents who have not been perfected, while still in the womb we develop characters prone to sin because we are not covered in righteousness. We develop the characters of our fathers, and mothers and brothers and friends because of our fallen nature.

"Parents have a more serious charge than they imagine. The inheritance of children is that of sin. Sin has separated them from God." {CG 475.3}

The sin that we inherit, and are born into, is not having God as our master in life yet; not having the law of liberty and the testimony of Jesus written in our hearts as Adam did at his creation.

Sin is the transgression of the law.

We are born selfish and when this is manifested we are breaking the first commandment. So this is the extent of our individual sins after birth. We are born without the knowledge of God, but He does not account this as our failure until the age of accountability. He holds our parents responsible for us, and since they are fallen, we are fallen. The advantage children have being born to sanctified mothers is the knowledge and teaching that can sanctify the children if their individual characters will accept it.

Would God burn an infant in hell? NO WAY!!!!!!!! If born to unsanctified parents they would come from the grave with the mother, and when the fires fall, they would vanish as if never born.

If all have sinned because they are born into this life then you are saying Jesus sinned by being born, and this is not true.

So logically what do you have left?

The exact moment of birth, we do not have a record of sin except our fallen nature inherited through our parents, but because we are born with the fallen nature of our fathers, we are cut off from the Father and in the fallen condition of our souls born without the white robe of innocence.

"The white robe of innocence was worn by our first parents when they were placed by God in holy Eden. They lived in perfect conformity to the will of God. All the strength of their affections was given to their heavenly Father. A beautiful soft light, the light of God, enshrouded the holy pair. This robe of light was a symbol of their spiritual garments of heavenly innocence. Had they remained true to God it would ever have continued to enshroud them. But when sin entered, they severed their connection with God, and the light that had encircled them departed. Naked and ashamed, they tried to supply the place of the heavenly garments by sewing together fig leaves for a covering... Nothing can man devise to supply the place of his lost robe of innocence. No fig-leaf garment, no worldly citizen dress, can be worn by those who sit down with Christ and angels at the marriage supper of the Lamb. {COL 311.2}
Only the covering which Christ Himself has provided can make us meet to appear in God’s presence. This covering, the robe of His own righteousness, Christ will put upon every repenting, believing soul. “I counsel thee,” He says, “to buy of Me ... white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear.” Revelation 3:18. {COL 311.3}

Since the fall of Adam, men are born without the White Robe that Adam was created with. At creation Adam did not have to repent for salvation as he did in his fallen condition. If children would have been born to them before the fall they would have been covered also.

Within the womb we begin to assimilate the characters of our fathers and mothers. My mother used to play Beatles records for me in her womb and I became a rock and roll musician.

Jesus had the character of His Father, we the worlds.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #147294
11/22/12 06:26 AM
11/22/12 06:26 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
We talked about why Jesus had to die. Your best answer is that dogs have cancer. But we all know that's not the crux of the Great Controversy. Enoch was sanctified long before Jesus was crucified, which causes logical problems for your position.
Are you just trying to be inflammatory because you do not understand what I've been saying so you make false charges - Jesus dies to save dogs. Really.

And don't stop with Enoch, remember Moses and Elijah. Can you clarify for me, so you believe or not believe that Jesus had to die to save Enoch, Moses and Elijah? Yes - Jesus had to die? Or No, Jesus did not need to die to save them? What is your answer?

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #147295
11/22/12 06:28 AM
11/22/12 06:28 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
You've seen by now that when I don't know, I don't have a problem saying so. Try it out. Ask me a question I don't know the answer to.
So if you do not know, why do you condemn it?

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #147296
11/22/12 06:40 AM
11/22/12 06:40 AM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
APL, I think Asygo was not saying he does not know this issue but was trying to show you the problem you have through his example.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #147297
11/22/12 07:11 AM
11/22/12 07:11 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

We agree that all sins are addictions. We disagree in the source of these addictions. You say that addictions, being sin, are encoded in the DNA. I say that such a concept is patently false. If it were true, then our DNA is changing daily. If our DNA were changing so much, fluctuating in and out of sin, then so much for trying to identify anyone by his or her DNA. So much for DNA paternity tests, etc., for none of them could be considered reliable.

I have never drunk alcohol in my life. I am not addicted to it. You say it is because it is not in my DNA. Now, suppose tomorrow I drink a glass and become an instant addict. You say my DNA just changed, right? Sounds like an easy way to avoid criminal conviction per DNA test--change your habits overnight.

How often does your DNA change, APL?

APL, the core of your flawed belief about the DNA has perhaps affected your theology in a dangerous way. You seem focused unbalancedly on salvation through Christ alone, without any participation in that salvation on the human side. Such is not in accordance with inspiration. I'm not sure that you would word it as I have, but I do have genuine concern for your understanding, for it may mean a loss of salvation for many people. Many seem to have the idea that there is nothing they can do, that it is all up to Christ. They hold themselves powerless, and therefore lean on a "saved by grace" belief. Certainly we are saved by grace. But not without due diligence on our part.

As has been said by some, we are not saved by works, but we are not saved without them either. Here are some balancing statements from Mrs. White regarding this cooperation between God and man.
In order to be partakers of the divine nature, we must co-operate with God. Man is no passive being, to be saved in indolence. Let no one think that men and women are going to be taken to heaven without engaging in the struggle here below. We have a battle to fight, a victory to gain. God says to us, "Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." How?--"For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure." Man works, and God works. Man is called upon to strain every muscle, and to exercise every faculty, in the struggle for immortality; but it is God who supplies the efficiency. {RH, April 28, 1910 par. 3}

So it is in spiritual things. We are to be laborers together with God. Man is to work out his own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God that worketh in him, both to will and to do of his good pleasure. There is to be co-partnership, a divine relation, between the Son of God and the repentant sinner. We are made sons and daughters of God. "As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God." Christ provides the mercy and grace so abundantly given to all who believe in him. He fulfils the terms upon which salvation rests. But we must act our part by accepting the blessing in faith. God works and man works. Resistance of temptation must come from man, who must draw his power from God. Thus he becomes a co-partner with Christ. {RH, May 28, 1908 par. 7}

"Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure; for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: for so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth." {RH, January 25, 1898 par. 1}
This admonition and warning was left on record for all who have a knowledge of the truth, and claim to be Seventh-day Adventists. Our probation is of more value to us than all the gold and silver of the world. Man has been given a second trial; but it was at an infinite cost to heaven that we were granted another opportunity to form characters of which God can approve. Christ united his divinity with humanity. He possessed the qualities of infinite and finite. In his person all excellence dwells. His sacrifice was our ransom from the slavery of sin. By his atonement we are enabled to sit with him on his throne, and share his glory. Then shall we, with such possibilities before us, show ourselves incapable of appreciating the heavenly gift? As the recipients of his grace, shall we not do our part by working out our salvation with fear and trembling? It is God that works in us both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Man works, and God works; but God can do nothing without man's co-operation. {RH, January 25, 1898 par. 2}

We have a part to act in this work. Let none think that men and women are going to be taken to heaven without engaging in the struggle here below. We have a battle to fight, a victory to gain. God says to us, "Work out your own salvation." How?--"With fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure." God works, and man works. We are to co-operate with God. Thus only can we be partakers of the divine nature. {RH, April 14, 1904 par. 4}

As you quoted from the Steps to Christ, another important statement found there is this one (italics original):
Many are inquiring, "How am I to make the surrender of myself to God?" You desire to give yourself to Him, but you are weak in moral power, in slavery to doubt, and controlled by the habits of your life of sin. Your promises and resolutions are like ropes of sand. You cannot control your thoughts, your impulses, your affections. The knowledge of your broken promises and forfeited pledges weakens your confidence in your own sincerity, and causes you to feel that God cannot accept you; but you need not despair. What you need to understand is the true force of the will. This is the governing power in the nature of man, the power of decision, or of choice. Everything depends on the right action of the will. The power of choice God has given to men; it is theirs to exercise. You cannot change your heart, you cannot of yourself give to God its affections; but you can choose to serve Him. You can give Him your will; He will then work in you to will and to do according to His good pleasure. Thus your whole nature will be brought under the control of the Spirit of Christ; your affections will be centered upon Him, your thoughts will be in harmony with Him. {SC 47.1}

We need to understand the "true force of the will." We have a choice. Sin is not an uncontrollable part of our DNA of which we have no choosing. It is a choice. We must exercise our will and wrestle unto blood in overcoming it. It is man's part to resist temptation, then God's part to cause the devil to flee. We must first choose to surrender our will to God before He can help us.

No one is saved by "Christ alone." Everyone is saved by "Christ alone." Those opposites are both true, depending upon the context. Christ alone has merited our salvation, and paid the penalty for our sins. In that sense, everyone who is saved must be saved by Him. "There is no other name under heaven whereby men must be saved." But in another sense, Christ alone can save no one. Even Jesus is powerless to save the sinner who will not choose Him. God's law of love has given us an unrevocable right of choice which places us in the position of final arbiters of our own destinies. We can either choose Christ, and accept His salvation, dying daily to selfishness and to sin; or we can choose the pleasures of sin for a season, and finally be destroyed for it.

If the DNA were the arbiters instead of our own choices, we would truly be predestined to destruction--for we have no power to choose our DNA. How thankful I am that this is not so! It is rather difficult trying to choose one's own biological parents, don't you think? How else could one affect his or her own DNA?

Maybe all my years in Biology class were in vain, but I was taught that evolution of the DNA only occurs during the sexual process of meiosis and not during ordinary cellular mitosis. There is no way of changing one's DNA for the better, but there are a few ways of increasing the odds of changing it for the worse. Exposing oneself to radiation is one of those. Let's suppose that radiation can cause cancer. Is radiation now "sin?" Yet that is just the sort of reasoning you use to support your view of sin being present throughout the natural world.

For example, you said this: "Our brains have receptors for these substances. Where do these receptors come from? Are they not encoded in our genome? Are not all the receptors, and all the control of all cellular functions, the chemical pathways, controlled by the genome?"

Now, by that same logic, one might conclude that his or her sinful appetites were also encoded into the DNA, since the DNA provided that he or she should have those taste buds to begin with, or those eyes to see with, or the organs to sense with? But, if the DNA provides our features that give us the opportunity to enjoy sin, is it God's fault for making us this way? God made our DNA. Did God make "sin?"

It is true that our brains have chemical pathways in them, such as receptor sites for dopamine, acetylcholine, etc. There are chemicals which cross the synaptic clefts of the axons and dendrites, and the neurons can create new synapses with increased activity of a certain brain pathway (thought). Each repetition of a thing can strengthen those pathways, and each neglect of it can weaken them. But are these "pathways" inherited in the DNA? Absolutely not. They are developed only by use. This is perfectly understandable and logical. Any biologist who tried to submit that these habits were found in the DNA would be laughed out of the room. Everyone knows that while a weakness may be inherited in the DNA, a habit cannot be. The DNA may be able to give one a "propensity," but it cannot give one a "sin."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: asygo] #147298
11/22/12 07:13 AM
11/22/12 07:13 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Then you bring up sin being in the genes. Since we know that sin entered the world through Adam, you can't answer how his genes can spread to the dogs and plants.
here you bring up a false statement. Shall I quote the scripture for you again? Romans 5:12 "Why, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed on all men, for that all have sinned:" To whom did Adam pass his genes to? "All men". Not dogs.

Now you bring up that Satan did this. Of course, we have known this all along. We have covered that quote many times in many threads over the years. But here's the question for you: How did Satan damage a plant's genetic code by tempting it to sin?
Who had dominion of this planet in the beginning? Adam. Who had dominion after Adam's fall?
  • Continually they were reminded also of their lost dominion. Among the lower creatures Adam had stood as king, and so long as he remained loyal to God, all nature acknowledged his rule; but when he transgressed, this dominion was forfeited. The spirit of rebellion, to which he himself had given entrance, extended throughout the animal creation. Thus not only the life of man, but the nature of the beasts, the trees of the forest, the grass of the field, the very air he breathed, all told the sad lesson of the knowledge of evil. {Ed 26.4}

You see, it's really untenable to say that sin is in the genes. The marks of sin will be manifest in the genes, sure. But sin itself is not in the genes. Sin is a spiritual matter.
Does sin cause disease in humans and animals? Yes or No. If no, please explain how come animals have sickness and disease. If yes, please explain how a "spiritual matter" causes sickness and disease in all life.

Hence, while dogs and cacti bear the marks of sin, they do not sin. And Jesus did not die to redeem them.
So, a lion that devours a man is not evil?

Lastly, while I am no geneticist, not even a biologist, I've taken a few science classes as I worked for my electrical engineering degree. And though I lack the background in the life sciences, I think my logic and critical thinking skills still apply. Bad logic is bad logic, no matter where you find it.
Bad logic, I found it- accusing me of saying Adams genes passed to dogs.

Page 20 of 62 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 61 62

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!