HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,638
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,232 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Paradoxical Pronouncements #14844
07/03/05 07:27 PM
07/03/05 07:27 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
MM, your comments portray an arbitrary, almighty, all encompassing God.

In sum: he is evil, he is good, he is kind, he is miserable, he is gracious, he is wicked, he is creator, he is destroyer, he is God, he is Satan.

He is all encompassing.

I fail to see any character there that I should learn, or any need of salvation or change, because whatever I am, so is he.

Re: Paradoxical Pronouncements #14845
07/03/05 08:33 PM
07/03/05 08:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
John, the following passage comes to mind, which makes it clear to me that God is in control (and who are we to question His wisdom and authority).

Romans
9:13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
9:14 What shall we say then? [Is there] unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
9:16 So then [it is] not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that showeth mercy.
9:17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might show my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
9:18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will [have mercy], and whom he will he hardeneth.
9:19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
9:20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed [it], Why hast thou made me thus?
9:21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
9:22 [What] if God, willing to show [his] wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
9:23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
9:24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Re: Paradoxical Pronouncements #14846
07/03/05 09:48 PM
07/03/05 09:48 PM
Ikan  Offline OP
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
MM I'm glad and sorry, that you have sited the old pretext of all predestinationalists and Calvinists, but will not comment on this topic on it, as it will engender a distict sidetrack from the study. It is a worthy topic but not here.

As you and others see the distinct paradox of these verses, I don't think it is a Berean quality to dismiss it with "God does what He wants." That is a distinctly Muslim attitude here where I am, and cuts off any desire to study and "know Him". God becomes the Doer of all in Hinduism, the Yin and Yang in Taoism and the Light-Dark Gods in Zoroastrianism.

You have entered a study with your own pre-set conclusions, which you have a right to own, but which will also hobble your attempts to openly dialogue with Bible students.

Re: Paradoxical Pronouncements #14847
07/03/05 10:07 PM
07/03/05 10:07 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Yes MM, just as I said, there is no reason whatsoever possible why I should trouble myself to find or learn anything, for there is no such thing as learning. It is all imagination and make-believe. God does what comes to him to do, and there is no wisdom nor understanding, nor good nor evil, nor sin nor righteousness; for God is all of it. It matters not what he makes of us for we are all in him, and he is all of us.

So I think that this is the greatest paradox of all that God should hold us responsible for what he does.

Re: Paradoxical Pronouncements #14848
07/03/05 10:10 PM
07/03/05 10:10 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
If I may say “I think”, for what that is I do not know, for God does it all.

Re: Paradoxical Pronouncements #14849
07/03/05 10:26 PM
07/03/05 10:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Phil and John, if God isn't in control then how do we explain His foreknowledge? Just because God forsees future choices and consequences it doesn't mean people are no longer free to choose. Cyrus was free to overturn the prophecy regarding him, but he didn't. Jesus was free to ignore the prophecies regarding Him, but He didn't. How does this make God evil? Who are we to imply or assume that God is evil because He forsees the future, and that He works hard to make sure the outcome is according to His will?

Re: Paradoxical Pronouncements #14850
07/03/05 11:03 PM
07/03/05 11:03 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
I do not recall myself or Phil being the progenitors of such foreknowledge as you propose. I remember quite to the contrary.

Why should you tie in foreknowledge, with God doing whatever he wants? What does his foreknowledge have to do with control?

But I think this would get off the topic here, so if you would like to answer it, why don’t you post it on one of the several topics on foreknowledge?

On the other hand what may be applicable here; what does control have to do with responsibility?

Re: Paradoxical Pronouncements #14851
07/03/05 11:49 PM
07/03/05 11:49 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Or a better question yet is what does "foreknowledge and control" have to do with the "real cause"?

Re: Paradoxical Pronouncements #14852
07/04/05 01:39 AM
07/04/05 01:39 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Good question. The real cause, in the case of King Saul, was God withdrawing His favor on account of his disobedience. He felt the absence of God and was miserable for it. The effect was unrest and more disobedience. God was in control in that He didn't intervene on his behalf. In this case, divine foreknowledge apparently didn't play a big part, though Samuel predicted his death and replacement.

1 Samuel
15:24 And Saul said unto Samuel, I have sinned: for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD, and thy words: because I feared the people, and obeyed their voice.
15:25 Now therefore, I pray thee, pardon my sin, and turn again with me, that I may worship the LORD.
15:26 And Samuel said unto Saul, I will not return with thee: for thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD hath rejected thee from being king over Israel.
15:27 And as Samuel turned about to go away, he laid hold upon the skirt of his mantle, and it rent.
15:28 And Samuel said unto him, The LORD hath rent the kingdom of Israel from thee this day, and hath given it to a neighbour of thine, [that is] better than thou.
15:29 And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he [is] not a man, that he should repent.
15:30 Then he said, I have sinned: [yet] honour me now, I pray thee, before the elders of my people, and before Israel, and turn again with me, that I may worship the LORD thy God.
15:31 So Samuel turned again after Saul; and Saul worshipped the LORD.
15:32 Then said Samuel, Bring ye hither to me Agag the king of the Amalekites. And Agag came unto him delicately. And Agag said, Surely the bitterness of death is past.
15:33 And Samuel said, As thy sword hath made women childless, so shall thy mother be childless among women. And Samuel hewed Agag in pieces before the LORD in Gilgal.
15:34 Then Samuel went to Ramah; and Saul went up to his house to Gibeah of Saul.
15:35 And Samuel came no more to see Saul until the day of his death: nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul: and the LORD repented that he had made Saul king over Israel.

1 Chronicles
10:13 So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the LORD, [even] against the word of the LORD, which he kept not, and also for asking [counsel] of [one that had] a familiar spirit, to inquire [of it];
10:14 And inquired not of the LORD: therefore he slew him, and turned the kingdom unto David the son of Jesse.

Re: Paradoxical Pronouncements #14853
07/04/05 02:06 AM
07/04/05 02:06 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
MM: The real cause, in the case of King Saul, was God withdrawing His favor on account of his disobedience. He felt the absence of God and was miserable for it. The effect was unrest and more disobedience.
I commented on this in the thread ‘salvation of the wicked’.

2 Cor 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Which sorrow did Saul sorrow, and who was responsible (the real cause) for that?

Godly sorrow has God for its reference point, while worldly sorrow has self for its reference point.

What does that mean?

Godly sorrow sees the truth as it is in God. It sees God’s goodness and forgiveness, and in his light realizes its own wretchedness; for it is the goodness of God that leads you to repentance, thus it brings forth repentance to salvation.

Worldly sorrow sees the ‘truth’ as it is in self. It sees the offence and condemnation of sin, which works mortification, and death.

God is still the same, his character, forgiveness and goodness are not changed, but worldly sorrow does not see him. It is not that God cannot grant forgiveness, the scriptures say the ‘gift of God’ is eternal life; but it is that such do not look to him, do not see him. All they see is sin and the condemnation of its wages in the light of their own justice which they transpose on God.

Is there a difference in wanting God to come and follow and approve of us; as opposed to us following him and living his life.

I think Saul is a classical example of worldly sorrow which works death.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/19/24 01:25 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!