HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 55 of 62 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 61 62
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #148793
01/06/13 01:02 PM
01/06/13 01:02 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
And you've just twisted what I said. After the inception of sin there was no "good option" for God to follow, so He followed the less evil of the two options. Now, you are entitled to your opinion, but you can't convince me (or anybody else, I think, besides yourself) that letting Satan live, with all the suffering, disease and death he has brought, was a good option.

As to Ellen White, in DA 759 she is not saying that if God destroyed Satan, He would be using force towards Satan. She is saying that, by destroying His opponent, God would be forcing all the inhabitants of the universe to choose His side, for fear of being destroyed. This would be compelling force. Instead, He opted for letting Satan live and make manifest the fruits of his government, so that the inhabitants of the universe could choose God’s side by themselves. After that, He could safely destroy Satan.

Commenting on Satan’s rebellion in heaven, she says:

“God sees that the same course of action is being pursued the world over. Men and women come to the place where the road diverges: it is either right or wrong. Thousands upon thousands clothe themselves in what they suppose to be an impenetrable disguise, and choose the wrong. To make their course plain to others by abrupt disclosures would only cause a larger number to choose the side of wrong. Thus the wrongdoers would be sustained and many souls would be ruined. God does not force anyone. He leaves all free to choose. But He says, ‘By their fruits ye shall know them.’ (18MR 362.4)

If God destroys in mercy, He doesn’t destroy as an act of force, and this is completely in harmony with His character. Nothing could be clearer. Now, what you think is that if my horse breaks his leg irreparably, then I should let the animal continue living in agony, because I don't love him if I kill him; on the contrary, I'm heartless, mercyless and cruel.

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Rosangela] #148794
01/06/13 02:53 PM
01/06/13 02:53 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Rosangela, you clearly said that God's actions were evil. There was nothing evil in God's actions - none.

Even when he was cast out of heaven, Infinite Wisdom did not destroy Satan. Since only the service of love can be acceptable to God, the allegiance of His creatures must rest upon a conviction of His justice and benevolence. The inhabitants of heaven and of the worlds, being unprepared to comprehend the nature or consequences of sin, could not then have seen the justice of God in the destruction of Satan. Had he been immediately blotted out of existence, some would have served God from fear rather than from love. The influence of the deceiver would not have been fully destroyed, nor would the spirit of rebellion have been utterly eradicated. For the good of the entire universe through ceaseless ages, he must more fully develop his principles, that his charges against the divine government might be seen in their true light by all created beings, and that the justice and mercy of God and the immutability of His law might be forever placed beyond all question. {PP 42.3}

Satan's rebellion was to be a lesson to the universe through all coming ages--a perpetual testimony to the nature of sin and its terrible results. The working out of Satan's rule, its effects upon both men and angels, would show what must be the fruit of setting aside the divine authority. It would testify that with the existence of God's government is bound up the well-being of all the creatures He has made. Thus the history of this terrible experiment of rebellion was to be a perpetual safeguard to all holy beings, to prevent them from being deceived as to the nature of transgression, to save them from committing sin, and suffering its penalty. {PP 42.4}

What is the perpetual testimony to the nature of sin and its terrible results? Sin kills. Sin causes all disease. God's rule is prefect. You can not change what God has made. The penalty of sin is death (Romans 6:23). Not execution by God.

1 John 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #148797
01/06/13 05:01 PM
01/06/13 05:01 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
It appears to me that Rosangela and APL are both referring to important facets of this subject. Trouble is that you are looking at it from different levels - or circumstances - as far as I can see.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #148802
01/06/13 10:36 PM
01/06/13 10:36 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Rosangela, you clearly said that God's actions were evil.

APL, I clearly said God's options were evil. If you think that the option of letting Satan live was a good one, this is your privilege, but the misery of this world contradicts you. God had two options and both were evil. God overrules evil for good.

Quote:
Sin kills.

Sin won't destroy itself. God will destroy it.

God has declared that sin must be destroyed as an evil ruinous to the universe. Those who cling to sin will perish in its destruction. {COL 123.3}

But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. ... The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. {DA 107.4}

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Rosangela] #148804
01/07/13 12:00 AM
01/07/13 12:00 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
There is no question sin will be destroyed. The question is how it is destroyed.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #148815
01/07/13 07:08 PM
01/07/13 07:08 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
It will be destroyed by the glory of God.

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Rosangela] #148825
01/08/13 06:34 AM
01/08/13 06:34 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Death will eventually be destroyed. What is the relationship between sin and death? What is death?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Johann] #148834
01/08/13 04:37 PM
01/08/13 04:37 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Well, pastor Johann, I believe sin is the reason why sinners die, not the (physical) agent of their death. Basically sinners die because they were debarred from the tree of life; if it wasn't for this, they would be immortal sinners. It follows that sin can't be the physical agent of death. The angels who sinned would never die if Christ, by His death, hadn't brought them under the dominion of death. For Christ, by dying, secured the right to destroy them (FLB 179.5).

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Rosangela] #148836
01/08/13 07:15 PM
01/08/13 07:15 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Well, pastor Johann, I believe sin is the reason why sinners die, not the (physical) agent of their death. Basically sinners die because they were debarred from the tree of life; if it wasn't for this, they would be immortal sinners. It follows that sin can't be the physical agent of death. The angels who sinned would never die if Christ, by His death, hadn't brought them under the dominion of death. For Christ, by dying, secured the right to destroy them (FLB 179.5).
So, basically what Rosangela is saying, it that sin does not kill it is God that kills. Sin is not inherently deadly, sin is just a breaking of the rules. The penalty of sin is not intrinsic to sin, but has to be judicially meted out. Sin is a legal problem for which there is an imposed penalty. Am I right?

What killed Jesus?

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #148838
01/08/13 10:57 PM
01/08/13 10:57 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? In order to die Jesus had to let go of the sustaining hand of His Father. His cry shows how hostile it was to His nature, but He did it for our sake.

We would never sin if we did not give up the sustaining hand of divinity. So the sinner gives up on God, he lets go of the connection with the only Source of eternal life, and there is no access to the tree of life.

A few days ago there was no electricity in the northern part of our country. It was due to the worst snowstorm for decades. Finally some technicians braved the storm and repaired the connection.

Jesus braved the great storm of sin in order to reconnect. That connection is available to all, but only those who permit their own line to touch will benefit and get the power.

Page 55 of 62 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 61 62

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!