HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,649
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 17
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, 1 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 23 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 22 23
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Johann] #150443
03/07/13 01:41 AM
03/07/13 01:41 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
As Kevin H is also a member here under the same username, ask him by PM, by email, or whatever, to come here and post his own thoughts here.

Originally Posted By: Johann
Kevin H from New York posted this over at ClubAdventist which explains further what I refer to. He has given me permission to quote him:

Quote:
when I was at Andrews I would read a lot of corrispondence that Mrs. White wrote; the ones that I found most interesting was between Mrs. White and Steven Haskell, where Haskell kept trying to convince Mrs. White of the views of the Fundamentalists and trying to convince her that this was how her inspiration worked, and how she kept trying to encourage him to give up fundamentalism and saying that it NOT how her inspiration worked. (Haskell's argument won out in the church and is the views of the typical Adventist).

I did not realize how widespread that method is, so there is all reason to beware.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: kland] #150460
03/07/13 02:59 PM
03/07/13 02:59 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Rick H
But there is a difference, the KJV was not changed it its translation to destroy the meaning and with the express purpose to delete text supporting the truth and correct doctrine and understanding, the same cannot be said for the Alexandrian manuscripts and the versions that use its text.

I see your claim is made that those who created Non-KJVs intended to:
  • To destroy the meaning
  • Made changes to have an intended expressed and implied evil purpose
  • Deleted text supporting the truth, correct doctrine, and understanding
Do you agree that I listed your claims correctly?

Looking back at the beginning of the thread, I did a search for the word, "destroy", but that word was not found. Neither was the word, "express".

But I did find that you claimed they had a "chief purpose" and said you showed the "plain purpose". However, I failed to see where you showed such. I also found where I objected to your claim then. It's gone on for many pages and as of yet, I have found no one to substantiate anything of the sort. You wrote a lot, and maybe sorting through the irrelevant stuff, I missed support of those claims. Could you show specifically where you supported those claims? If you cannot show that it is true, this is a great defamation on your part towards those other translators.

You need to show that their intent is to destroy the meaning, with an express purpose to delete text supporting the truth, correct doctrine, and understanding. Otherwise, I see no reason why those holding the rights to those other versions could not take you to court.

Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: kland] #150499
03/08/13 10:24 AM
03/08/13 10:24 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
But there is a difference, the KJV was not changed it its translation to destroy the meaning and with the express purpose to delete text supporting the truth and correct doctrine and understanding, the same cannot be said for the Alexandrian manuscripts and the versions that use its text.

I see your claim is made that those who created Non-KJVs intended to:
  • To destroy the meaning
  • Made changes to have an intended expressed and implied evil purpose
  • Deleted text supporting the truth, correct doctrine, and understanding
Do you agree that I listed your claims correctly?

Looking back at the beginning of the thread, I did a search for the word, "destroy", but that word was not found. Neither was the word, "express".

But I did find that you claimed they had a "chief purpose" and said you showed the "plain purpose". However, I failed to see where you showed such. I also found where I objected to your claim then. It's gone on for many pages and as of yet, I have found no one to substantiate anything of the sort. You wrote a lot, and maybe sorting through the irrelevant stuff, I missed support of those claims. Could you show specifically where you supported those claims? If you cannot show that it is true, this is a great defamation on your part towards those other translators.

You need to show that their intent is to destroy the meaning, with an express purpose to delete text supporting the truth, correct doctrine, and understanding. Otherwise, I see no reason why those holding the rights to those other versions could not take you to court.

Do a little work for yourself and dig below the surface and read the whole thread, post by post. Then ask any questions you want and I will answer them.

Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Daryl] #150500
03/08/13 10:27 AM
03/08/13 10:27 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Daryl
As Kevin H is also a member here under the same username, ask him by PM, by email, or whatever, to come here and post his own thoughts here.

Kevin H from New York posted this over at ClubAdventist which explains further what I refer to. He has given me permission to quote him:

Quote:
when I was at Andrews I would read a lot of corrispondence that Mrs. White wrote; the ones that I found most interesting was between Mrs. White and Steven Haskell, where Haskell kept trying to convince Mrs. White of the views of the Fundamentalists and trying to convince her that this was how her inspiration worked, and how she kept trying to encourage him to give up fundamentalism and saying that it NOT how her inspiration worked. (Haskell's argument won out in the church and is the views of the typical Adventist).

I did not realize how widespread that method is, so there is all reason to beware.
Or he can post his thoughts directly, but I dont think the post above really relates to the discussion from my take.

Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Rick H] #150510
03/08/13 05:14 PM
03/08/13 05:14 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland

Quote:

Or he can post his thoughts directly, but I dont think the post above really relates to the discussion from my take.

It certainly does, because it relates to how we use the Bible, which to Ellen White seems more important than which version we use.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Johann] #150539
03/09/13 03:11 AM
03/09/13 03:11 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA

[quote=Johann]Kevin H from New York posted this over at ClubAdventist which explains further what I refer to. He has given me permission to quote him:

Quote:
when I was at Andrews I would read a lot of corrispondence that Mrs. White wrote; the ones that I found most interesting wastween Mrs. White and Steven Haskell, where Haskell kept trying to convince Mrs. White of the views of the Fundamentalists and trying to convince her that this was how her inspiration worked, and how she kept trying to encourage him to give up fundamentalism and saying that it NOT how her inspiration worked. (Haskell's argument won out in the church and is the views of the typical Adventist).

It certainly does, because it relates to how we use the Bible, which to Ellen White seems more important than which version we use.
So as long as we 'use' the Jehovah Witness Bible 'correctly', then in your view that makes those changes ok? I have to say I cant agree with that logic, can you clarify.

Last edited by Rick H; 03/09/13 03:20 AM.
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Rick H] #150546
03/09/13 06:29 AM
03/09/13 06:29 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
So as long as we 'use' the Jehovah Witness Bible 'correctly', then in your view that makes those changes ok? I have to say I cant agree with that logic, can you clarify.

The real point is that there seem to be certain faults in all Bible translations. Therefore the method we use a Bible is to see the total picture of Jesus Christ and His salvation, and then under the guidance of the Holy Spirit we see the meaning of words and phrases and it is easier to detect faults in the translation.

In the writings of Ellen White you see her mention quite a number of different Bible translations, both before and after the KJV, and in all of the cases where I recall she points out what a blessing these various editions have been to the people. I have never noticed her pointing out any version as worthless.

I have discovered that when I deal with Jehovah's Witnesses it is not difficult to present Jesus Christ as God and Savior much greater than the way he is presented in their teachings. I do this by using their own Bible. From their own Bible it is easy to point out the translation mistakes in John 1, but there is no sense in starting there. You start out by presenting a total picture of Jesus Christ and then the mistakes in John 1 are obliterated. Rather present Jesus Christ as found in the three letters of John and some of the foundations of their teachings is shattered.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: kland] #150584
03/10/13 06:52 AM
03/10/13 06:52 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient

Greek TextKing James VersionOther Versions

καὶ ἀπεκρίθη Ἰησοῦς πρὸς αὐτὸν λέγων, Γέγραπται ὅτι Οὐκ ἐπ᾽ ἄρτῳ μόνῳ ζήσεται ὁ ἄνθρωπος ἀλλ᾽ ἐπὶ παντὶ ῥήματι Θεοῦ [Luke 4:4, Greek]

And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. (Luke 4:4, KJV)

And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every [word] that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live. (Deuteronomy 8:3)
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man does not live on bread alone.’ ” (NIV)
And Jesus answered unto him, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone. (ASV)
And Jesus answered him, “It is written, ‘MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE.’” (NASB)
And Jesus answered him, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone.'" (ESV)
But Jesus told him, “No! The Scriptures say, ‘People do not live by bread alone.’” (NLT)
Jesus answered by quoting Deuteronomy: "It takes more than bread to really live." (MSG)
Some versions are more flippant in their handling of the Word of God than others, but all of those shown on the right have omitted the “punchline” of the verse. They've left out the principal meaning. Sure, we're not to live by bread alone...upon what then? They leave the reader hanging, without the benefit of Christ's full message. They accept just a truncated version of His words, as if the rest of it weren't important anyway. The trouble is, the rest of it was the chiefest part!

If they have no respect for “every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God,” how should we expect them not to have innumerable other alterations?

This is but one example of hundreds. They would not want to take me to court. It would end up revealing far more about their Bibles to the public eye than they would wish to have publicity for.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Green Cochoa] #150586
03/10/13 12:09 PM
03/10/13 12:09 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
You need to show that their intent is to destroy the meaning, with an express purpose to delete text supporting the truth, correct doctrine, and understanding. . . .

Some versions are more flippant in their handling of the Word of God than others, but all of those shown on the right have omitted the “punchline” of the verse. They've left out the principal meaning. Sure, we're not to live by bread alone...upon what then? They leave the reader hanging, without the benefit of Christ's full message. They accept just a truncated version of His words, as if the rest of it weren't important anyway. The trouble is, the rest of it was the chiefest part!

If they have no respect for “every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God,” how should we expect them not to have innumerable other alterations?

This is but one example of hundreds. They would not want to take me to court. It would end up revealing far more about their Bibles to the public eye than they would wish to have publicity for.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Interesting table you present. You know just how to do that, something I have not tried.

Certainly you have a point, but is that all?

You failed to mention that many of the Greek manuscripts do not have the final part of the verse, making some translators feel it indicating that Jesus might only have quoted the first part, so perhaps the last part has been added by copyists. You may not agree to this, and you might be right.

I noticed that the translators do make a reference to Deut. 8:3, so they are not eliminating the truth that you are emphasizing. So it is difficult to say "that their intent is to destroy the meaning, with an express purpose to delete text supporting the truth, correct doctrine, and understanding" like kland is saying. The whole truth may not be found in a single verse of Scripture. You need all of the Bible, like Ellen says, here a little and there a little.

Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Johann] #150589
03/10/13 01:24 PM
03/10/13 01:24 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
There could be many things in connection with this that many people are not aware of. If I remember right Erasmus was in a great hurry to get his Textus Receptus published. This resulted in a great number of errors, some of which were corrected later on.

One of the great problems of Erasmus was that he had no Greek manuscript of the last part of Revelation. Seems like he then just translated on his own a Latin text back to Greek, and placed that in his Textus Receptus.

So when you are praising the work of this Roman Catholic scholar who never had the courage to take his stand for the Reformation, you fail to mention that the Greek text we have today of the last part of Revelation stems from those manuscripts you are condemning, because that was not a part of the Textus Receptus.

Through all of these "problems" the Lord God of Heaven kept a watch on His Word, and He has seen to it that we have in it His message of salvation. Why should we confuse His work for us by finding all kinds of faults in various translations? Is that a good excuse not to follow His will for us?

Last edited by Johann; 03/10/13 01:26 PM.

Page 13 of 23 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 22 23

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:15 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!