HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 46 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 45 46
Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: APL] #153651
06/26/13 09:07 AM
06/26/13 09:07 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
Is it sin or is it God that causes the destruction?

You ask the wrong question. There should be no either/or here. It is a both/and situation instead.

For example, if you murder your neighbor's twin daughters in cold blood, and you live in Texas where they have the death penalty, the judge and jury may send you to capital punishment. Let's say it is by electric chair, and you refuse the governor's pardon, so you go to your death.

What killed you?

• Your murder of the twins, OR
  • The Texas law, OR
  • Your refusal of the governor's pardon, OR
  • The judge, OR
  • The jury, OR
  • The executioner, OR
  • The chair, OR
  • The electricity, OR
  • ?????

Which ONE SINGLE THING among those caused your death, APL, given this scenario? Your "sin?"

Now, did the judge force you to murder the twins? Obviously not. Did your refusal of the governor's pardon cause your death? In a way, yes. But did the chair have something to do with it? Of course. The executioner? Naturally.

Was the law "arbitrary" (e.g. unfair, designed only to catch you and not anyone else, or some other such capriciousness)? No. The law was there before you broke it, as was its penalty. You broke it, you get what you knew would happen.

Adam and Eve had both been duly told what would happen to them. It did. The law was just, not arbitrary. And the punishment, therefore, is also just, and not arbitrary.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: kland] #153667
06/26/13 03:23 PM
06/26/13 03:23 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
APL,

You are not speaking truthfully.
How can you say that when you say things such as
"Punishment is not forced,"?

Quote:
Rosangela and myself have but given you statements from none other than Mrs. White and the Bible. How can you set yourself up against them?

But yet:
Did you notice I also accused you of using EGW against herself? That is because there was an actual contradiction.

Why did you mention that you and Rosangela gave "statements from none other than Mrs. White and the Bible" when you admit APL used statements from White? That sounds like you are attempting to make APL look bad by implying something which isn't true.

Actual contradiction? Because APL used Mrs. White?
Hmmm....

Kind of reminds me of,
God is not the destroyer because He is the destroyer.

Who's accusing who of not being "truthful"?

I just noticed this post of yours, kland. When I used the phrase "none other than" it had nothing to do with what quotes APL may have brought to the discussion. It would be like saying, "I got my information from none other than the president himself!" It is a way of emphasizing the value of the source. It would not mean that someone else had gotten bad information--it has little to do with anyone else at all, it would simply serve to build the credibility of one's own source. For example, click here to see a definition by Cambridge Dictionary for this idiom.

I apologize for not using a more easily-understood level of English. I certainly did not intend to criticize APL's quotes of Ellen White.

The trouble was that APL was using Mrs. White to support an idea of his that was handily contradicted by other statements from Mrs. White. This is why both Rosangela and I commented to APL about the contradiction between Ellen White and Ellen White that he appeared to be trying to set up.

No, I do not believe she contradicts herself. APL, however, will likely not soon accept some of her statements. He will need to be selective about which ones he reads if he wishes to maintain his present view.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: Green Cochoa] #153669
06/26/13 03:41 PM
06/26/13 03:41 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
When I used the phrase "none other than" it had nothing to do with what quotes APL may have brought to the discussion. It would be like saying, "I got my information from none other than the president himself!" It is a way of emphasizing the value of the source. It would not mean that someone else had gotten bad information--it has little to do with anyone else at all, it would simply serve to build the credibility of one's own source.
But didn't APL get his information from "none other than" Ellen White? You haven't helped your situation any.

Quote:
The trouble was that APL was using Mrs. White to support an idea of his that was handily contradicted by other statements from Mrs. White.
But the trouble was that you were using Mrs. White to support an idea of yours that was handily contradicted by other statements from Mrs. White.

How come you however, will likely not soon accept some of her statements. Most likely you will need to be selective about which ones you read if you wish to maintain your present view.

Blessings,

Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: kland] #153670
06/26/13 03:44 PM
06/26/13 03:44 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Perhaps you can pick one of the alleged statements he is using, just one, the best one, that you think is so contradictory, or that you think he is making so contradictory and let's discuss it.

Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: kland] #153688
06/27/13 03:27 AM
06/27/13 03:27 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
But didn't APL get his information from "none other than" Ellen White? You haven't helped your situation any.

This is not fully correct. Some of APL's statements have come from Mrs. White. He has chosen to quote some others in almost the same manner as Ellen White quotes to blend them into this discussion almost as if they had the same authority. For example, Ellen White quotes frequently have the curly braces around the reference. APL put those curly braces around "K. Straub" when quoting him. He has also quoted E. J. Waggoner using the three letters "EJW" which might seem almost the same as "EGW." You have to look carefully to catch the difference.

Quote:
The trouble was that APL was using Mrs. White to support an idea of his that was handily contradicted by other statements from Mrs. White.
But the trouble was that you were using Mrs. White to support an idea of yours that was handily contradicted by other statements from Mrs. White.

This is also not correct. I see no contradiction in Mrs. White's writings. I accept both A and B. APL only accepts A. He does not accept the balance of the statements, so to his point of view there is a contradiction. From my vantage point, no contradiction in her writings exists on this point.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: kland] #153689
06/27/13 03:39 AM
06/27/13 03:39 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Perhaps you can pick one of the alleged statements he is using, just one, the best one, that you think is so contradictory, or that you think he is making so contradictory and let's discuss it.

I did this already. APL did not respond. Perhaps you will? APL is actually the one who presented the two opposing quotes in his post. I will copy it here from the other thread where it originally was posted.

Originally Posted By: EGW
Of all the sins that God will punish, none are more grievous in His sight than those that encourage others to do evil. ... {PP 323.3}
By beholding, we become changed. If we think that God will actively torture sinners, then we will do the same.
It is a law both of the intellectual and the spiritual nature, that by beholding, we become changed. The mind gradually adapts itself to the subjects upon which it is allowed to dwell. It becomes assimilated to that which it is accustomed to love and reverence. Man will never rise higher than his standard of purity or goodness or truth. {GC88 555.2}

Ellen White spoke of God punishing in that first quote. You appear to use another quote of hers to counter her first quote. Using Ellen White against Ellen White?

A house divided against itself cannot stand.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: Green Cochoa] #153695
06/27/13 09:57 AM
06/27/13 09:57 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Ellen White gives a good description of how you interpret her writings, Green:

Quote:
Where, in the pages of God’s word, is such teaching to be found? Will the redeemed in heaven be lost to all emotions of pity and compassion, and even to feelings of common humanity? Are these to be exchanged for the indifference of the stoic or the cruelty of the savage? No, no; such is not the teaching of the Book of God. Those who present the views expressed in the quotations given above may be learned and even honest men, but they are deluded by the sophistry of Satan. He leads them to misconstrue strong expressions of Scripture, giving to the language the coloring of bitterness and malignity which pertains to himself, but not to our Creator. “As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die?” Ezekiel 33:11. {GC 535.2}

She speaks of a peculiar way of misconstruing "strong expressions of Scripture." Ellen White indicates such interpretation might well exposes the "bitterness and malignity which pertains to" oneself.

Is Ellen White stating a truth?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: Johann] #153708
06/28/13 01:05 PM
06/28/13 01:05 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
I think you said it, Johann. And evidence so pertains not just to this topic.

Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: Green Cochoa] #153709
06/28/13 01:12 PM
06/28/13 01:12 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland

This is not fully correct. Some of APL's statements have come from Mrs. White.
So the issue is not that he got his information from "none other than" Ellen White, but also from some other sources?

Ummmm.... You haven't helped your situation any.

Quote:
Quote:

This is also not correct. I see no contradiction in Mrs. White's writings.
This is strange. You just said it did contradict. Now you say it doesn't. "that was handily contradicted"

But maybe you are saying when APL uses Ellen White, it contradicts, but when you use similar statements, it doesn't contradict because....you say so.

Blessings,

Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: Green Cochoa] #153710
06/28/13 01:29 PM
06/28/13 01:29 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Of all the sins that God will punish, none are more grievous in His sight than those that encourage others to do evil. ... {PP 323.3}
By beholding, we become changed. If we think that God will actively torture sinners, then we will do the same.
It is a law both of the intellectual and the spiritual nature, that by beholding, we become changed. The mind gradually adapts itself to the subjects upon which it is allowed to dwell. It becomes assimilated to that which it is accustomed to love and reverence. Man will never rise higher than his standard of purity or goodness or truth. {GC88 555.2}

Ellen White spoke of God punishing in that first quote. You appear to use another quote of hers to counter her first quote. Using Ellen White against Ellen White?

A house divided against itself cannot stand.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

I think the question is, how does God "punish", what is "punish" in terms of God? You make it contradictory by using your terms of punish.

And frankly, I expected a statement that sounded contradictory. It puzzles me of why you picked this one as being contradictory. It doesn't fit in with what you've been complaining about.

God considers it a great sin to encourage others to do evil.

The mind adapts itself to that on which it dwells.

How is that contradictory? Why would you consider it so? If the mind dwells on evil, it becomes evil, it encourages others to do evil. If we think God does evil, we will to. If we cause others to think God does evil, they by beholding will become changed and do evil.

Page 6 of 46 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 45 46

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!