HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 30 of 104 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 103 104
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: asygo] #156319
09/18/13 09:33 AM
09/18/13 09:33 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: asygo
Originally Posted By: Johann
[quote=Johann]Arnold, there are questions connected with the nature of God which require an almighty insight to answer. Are some of your questions approaching this old adage:

If God is almighty could He create a stone which is so heavy that He cannot lift it Himself?

Scripture teaches us that what is revealed about the nature of God is good for us to examine, but what isn´t is none of our business.

It's actually not that complicated or philosophical. You brought up that it is a law of nature that separation from God results in death. Did God create that law of nature? Or is it Satan who made it that way?

If Satan was the one who invented that law, can God override it? You said that God is almighty and we shouldn't even question His ability to do anything He wants to do.

So, either God made that law and He wants it that way, or Satan made that law but God does not want to change it at the moment. Either way, it is not God's will that it be any different at the moment.

We have been in agreement so far. Are you changing your mind? I have not.

Not at all. Thanks!
Quote:

So we agree that there is a law of nature that separation from God results in death. We also agree that God does not want to change this law, even though He has the power to do it. So far so good?

Now, let's go back to my questions: Would anyone be happy if the sinner was allowed to live forever?

Arnold, I see now that I have to recant my previous statement about agreeing with you when I see where you are driving it. Your statement that God does not want to change His law even though He has the power to do so, actually questions the omnipotence of God. It is the same kind as questioning if God is able to create a stone that He is not able to lift.

Therefore your question if it makes anyone happy is kind of mute, insignificant. It puts you into a world of fairy tales. Yes, it could make the devil happy, but who else? What kind of happiness? Not the kind of happiness granted to the Christian. It might be more similar to the kind of frenzy sinful indulgences, drugs, certain music, etc. provides.

So, where does this question take you?

Last edited by Johann; 09/18/13 09:34 AM.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Green Cochoa] #156324
09/18/13 02:09 PM
09/18/13 02:09 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
"Thou shalt not kill" is a mistranslation. Christ did not say this.
You are either unable or unwilling to explain the difference so that even an 8th grader can understand, but you sure to talk lots about it.

What do you think it should say and why?
(Seems like Johann had asked you do that some time ago and I'm still waiting)

Quote:
Clearly, there are "just" acts that shorten life which would be excepted by the above statement. Just such acts are God's and those committed by God's direction.
Interesting comment. Especially since she wasn't talking about directly killing.

If you were absolutely convinced that God told you to kill me, would you?

Quote:
Again, Mrs. White speaks to this, and shows where the logical end of the reasoning that APL and so many others are following is.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
There are those who say that nothing, not even insects, should be killed. God has not entrusted any such message to His people. It is possible to stretch the command "Thou shalt not kill" to any limit; but it is not according to sound reasoning to do this. Those who do it have not learned in the school of Christ. {3SM 329.1}

Some here have learned in another school than that of Christ.
And what "school" did you go to? Green, do you not understand she is talking about some urging not killing even insects? If you think it is talking about killing people, please demonstrate how you get that from the passage. I am truly confounded as to how you make such an application.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: kland] #156328
09/18/13 02:49 PM
09/18/13 02:49 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
"Just acts"?
Quote:
...as long as those monarchs were entirely docile to their common lord, the Jesuits were their most faithful supporters. On the other hand, if these princes rebelled, they found in the Jesuits their worst enemies.
Green, would you say the Jesuits were acting like God?

Quote:
"Let us be convinced that all is well and right when the superior commands it", wrote Loyola. And again: "Even if God gave you an animal without sense for masters, you will not hesitate to obey him, as master and guide, because God ordained it to be so."
Obey without questioning. It is right because the superior said so. No individual thoughts are needed and in fact are banned. Obey as a ball of wax to be shaped and moved at will. "The sacrifice of the will and the laying aside of one's own judgment."

Is that what you are saying Green? If we think God does or will do something, then we are not to question whether the act itself is right or wrong, but because God is doing it, it makes it right?

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Johann] #156330
09/18/13 03:13 PM
09/18/13 03:13 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
So we agree that there is a law of nature that separation from God results in death. We also agree that God does not want to change this law, even though He has the power to do it. So far so good?

Now, let's go back to my questions: Would anyone be happy if the sinner was allowed to live forever?

Arnold, I see now that I have to recant my previous statement about agreeing with you when I see where you are driving it.

So you would recant a truth you hold because it leads to a conclusion that does not suit you. That is a dangerous hermeneutic. If you happened to have a wrong idea, how would it ever be corrected?

In any case, let's dig deeper by backing up. What I am "driving" at is based on two premises:
1) It is a law of nature that separation from God results in death.
2a) Either God created that law of nature and He wants it that way, or
2b) Satan created it, but God is almighty and can change it if He wants.

That's it. Nothing fancy or tricky. I wholeheartedly agree with both.

So, which one would you like to recant?

Therefore your question if it makes anyone happy is kind of mute, insignificant. It puts you into a world of fairy tales. Yes, it could make the devil happy, but who else? ... So, where does this question take you?

Before we start worrying about the destination again, let's make sure we are headed in the right direction.

Are you saying that if the sinner was allowed to live forever, Satan would be happy with it? God wouldn't want that situation, and neither would the sinner himself? I just want to be clear that this is what you are saying.

BTW, I would agree with you if you were saying that. Be forewarned. wink

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: asygo] #156331
09/18/13 03:50 PM
09/18/13 03:50 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
God could change His law if He wanted to.
Why does God not want to change HIS law? Because it is perfect. The law is immutable, unchangeable.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Green Cochoa] #156334
09/18/13 04:25 PM
09/18/13 04:25 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Again, Mrs. White speaks to this, and shows where the logical end of the reasoning that APL and so many others are following is.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
There are those who say that nothing, not even insects, should be killed. God has not entrusted any such message to His people. It is possible to stretch the command "Thou shalt not kill" to any limit; but it is not according to sound reasoning to do this. Those who do it have not learned in the school of Christ. {3SM 329.1}

Some here have learned in another school than that of Christ.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Really green... Have I ever said it was wrong to kills insects? Nope. By your making this post, are you not violating the 9th commandment? You making a false witness? Just wondering.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: asygo] #156338
09/18/13 09:40 PM
09/18/13 09:40 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland

Arnold, I see now that I have to recant my previous statement about agreeing with you when I see where you are driving it.

So you would recant a truth you hold because it leads to a conclusion that does not suit you. That is a dangerous hermeneutic. If you happened to have a wrong idea, how would it ever be corrected?

In any case, let's dig deeper by backing up. What I am "driving" at is based on two premises:
1) It is a law of nature that separation from God results in death.
2a) Either God created that law of nature and He wants it that way, or
2b) Satan created it, but God is almighty and can change it if He wants.

That's it. Nothing fancy or tricky. I wholeheartedly agree with both.

So, which one would you like to recant?

Therefore your question if it makes anyone happy is kind of mute, insignificant. It puts you into a world of fairy tales. Yes, it could make the devil happy, but who else? ... So, where does this question take you?

Before we start worrying about the destination again, let's make sure we are headed in the right direction.

Are you saying that if the sinner was allowed to live forever, Satan would be happy with it? God wouldn't want that situation, and neither would the sinner himself? I just want to be clear that this is what you are saying.

BTW, I would agree with you if you were saying that. Be forewarned. wink

That all depends on if you will present a tricky conclusion based on this. Unless I have that knowledge I am not able to answer your question, based on some terrible conclusions being presented on this forum. A burnt child avoids the fire.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Johann] #156339
09/18/13 10:57 PM
09/18/13 10:57 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
That all depends on if you will present a tricky conclusion based on this. Unless I have that knowledge I am not able to answer your question, based on some terrible conclusions being presented on this forum. A burnt child avoids the fire.

As John McEnroe used to say: You can't be serious!

So if the conclusion is not to your liking, you will reject true statements? Or a statement's truth is determined by a following statement?

Here's the mathematical version of that: 2 + 3 = 5 I don't like 5, so I don't agree with 2.

I don't know what kind of hermeneutic this is, but it is dangerous unless one is infallible.

- It is a law of nature that separation from God results in death.
- God created the laws of nature.

You're not sure if you can agree with those?!? Perhaps we need to lay off the meat for a while and go back to milk. The answer is Yes on both. Unquestionably Yes.

Here is the conclusion: God is in charge, and He will ensure the best possible outcome based on the circumstances.

Is that tricky? You decide. I know that some here cannot accept it, but truth is not dependent on the opinions of man.

Johann, you must stand up for your beliefs. Don't let people bully you into accepting false theories. Look at the facts, study the premises, use sound logic to arrive at valid conclusions. If each step you take is according to God's will, don't be afraid to go where He is leading you. It might seem tricky, but there's nothing to worry about if it's correct. If it is incorrect, spiritual discernment and honest scholarship will reveal the error.

But don't ever get fooled into thinking that it is wise to ever think, "The Bible says that, but I am too enlightened to believe it." Brother, I commend to you God's word. It takes the faith of a child, but Jesus said that's the way it must be.

But let's establish our milk: In the beginning God created. Don't let anyone's sophistry make you doubt that fact. That's the fire you need to avoid.

Use the theological training and experience you have, coupled with the guidance of the Spirit, and all will be well.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: asygo] #156345
09/19/13 01:12 AM
09/19/13 01:12 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
I wish you were right, Arnold. My experience, thus far on MSDOL, is that if the problem is 4 + 3 + 2 the 4 gets "killed" by poisoned darts as if it did not exist, in order to get the required 5.

This makes it impossible to discuss things reasonably here on this forum.

Last edited by Johann; 09/19/13 01:13 AM.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Johann] #156349
09/19/13 03:27 AM
09/19/13 03:27 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I wish you were right, Arnold. My experience, thus far on MSDOL, is that if the problem is 4 + 3 + 2 the 4 gets "killed" by poisoned darts as if it did not exist, in order to get the required 5.

This makes it impossible to discuss things reasonably here on this forum.

I know what you mean. That's why I have been going very slowly with our recent discussion. There is a group within our church, and on MSDAOL, that believes God has somehow lost control. You will see the tell-tale signs in statements such as, "God can't ..." or "God wants to ... but ..." And it is all because people cherish certain conclusions.

3 + 2 = 5 You don't like 5, so you doubt 3 and 2. That's not the way to go about it.

If you know about 4, then bring it up. Then we can get 4 + 3 + 2 = 9, as it should be.

But never throw out some truth just because there are other truths involved. The only way to arrive at God's truth is to take ALL truth and put them together. Whether you ignore 4 or 3 or 2, Satan doesn't care. As long as you reject some piece of truth, your picture will never be complete.

For now, consider this: In the beginning God created. Is it God's will that death accompanies sin? Or was the death/sin relationship created by someone else?

That's the "4" some desperately want to kill.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 30 of 104 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 103 104

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!