HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,936 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: From Sinners to Saints, Part 3 - Which Way? (Sermon by Arnold Sy Go) [Re: kland] #156650
09/26/13 09:09 PM
09/26/13 09:09 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
"Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not." Repeatedly the Bible describes believers not sinning while they are actively, aggressively abiding in Jesus. But I hear you saying, no, they are guilty of sinning unknowingly.

I read that verse to mean when we are abiding in Jesus we do not choose to sin. This is not quite the same as we do not sin.
Is that another one? Or can you explain how not choosing to do something is different than not doing it?

Sure. Not choosing to steal from anyone is different than ignorantly stealing from God because I didn't know about tithing.

Let me take that a step further: I believe many Adventists ignorantly steal from God because they do not know the full tithing law. When they get a tax rebate, or receive Christmas presents, they are increased by these things. Do they tithe on them? But when in their heart they are doing the right things, then God accepts their service as their best.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
When it is in the heart to obey God, when efforts are put forth to this end, Jesus accepts this disposition and effort as man's best service and he makes up for the deficiency with his own divine merit; for he is the source of every right impulse. {OW, December 1, 1909 par. 10}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: From Sinners to Saints, Part 3 - Which Way? (Sermon by Arnold Sy Go) [Re: asygo] #156653
09/26/13 09:30 PM
09/26/13 09:30 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
When Jesus chose to withhold light from people in the past did it result in them sinning?

Please name examples of truth that Jesus chooses nowadays to withhold from people.

Does withholding truth and the inevitable sinning result in defective traits of character?

Mike, I believe Jesus withheld light in the past, not because it would result in them sinning, but in spite of the fact that they were already sinning--because He would have lost them forever had He revealed all at once.

You're a church pastor, right? When you are teaching a new believer, do you "give it to them with both barrels?" In other words, do you make sure they know everything that they ought to know (according to you) right away, immediately if not sooner? You tell them at the funeral that their loved one is not in heaven, but his probation has closed and it will no longer be possible to pray for him or do anything that might lead him to heaven? Do you tell them, before their faith has grasped what God can do for them, that becoming an Adventist means they must pay a tithe of all they have to the church?

What is most important? LOVE. When we love God, obeying Him is a joy. But we won't love Him if we perceive Him to be overly demanding. Truth is powerful medicine--given too much at once, it will kill the patient. Many reject God for perceiving that He demands too much. I just met with such an individual yesterday while standing in line to have my passport inspected. The man was from Germany. He was supposedly Lutheran, but had given up all organized religion as having too many rules. In his case, I don't think he was beyond rescue...unfortunately, I won't likely have contact with him again, or enough to dissuade him from his faulty ideas.

Lies certainly kill. But so can truth. Truth must be applied judiciously, and a little at a time.

Mike, relative to truth that Jesus is withholding nowadays from people, how would I know? If it is being withheld, I am also ignorant of it. Think you that I am a prophet who has been shown something that I am also withholding from others? However, I believe one of these "truths" may involve the details of what is to come in the troubles ahead. New converts might be frightened away to learn things like what their obedience will cost them. At the right time, strength will be given them to endure the trial. Right now, many are unprepared. Is it a sin to be "unprepared" for something yet future? Tell me, is it a sin to be "weak?"

As for withholding truth resulting in defects of character, I do not believe that it does. The defects are already there. They could not possibly be healed by a fuller revelation, or if they could, God would not withhold the cure. The Master Physician knows what the dosage of the Truth medicine needs to be, and this is age- and weight-adjusted (think of faith) to the exact amount the patient is able to tolerate.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: From Sinners to Saints, Part 3 - Which Way? (Sermon by Arnold Sy Go) [Re: Green Cochoa] #156664
09/27/13 02:36 AM
09/27/13 02:36 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
There is a difference between perfectionism and being perfect in Christ.

Perfectionism demands that one be perfect in all knowledge of truth and in all actions, motives and desires.

Perfect in Christ means one has given their life to Christ, turned away from known sin and daily seek to walk with Christ in the paths of righteousness.

A person is declared "justified" (just as if they had never sinned) when they come to Christ.
They still have defects and it is the work of the Holy Spirit to lead them step by step in the growth process.
Step by step -- means a little at a time, but a continuous advancement.

As long as a person follows and obeys the Holy Spirit's leading and depends upon Christ; having a vital relationship with HIM, they are considered "perfect".
They are walking in harmony and not rebelling against the guiding light of truth.

However they have not reached "perfectionism" for there is still much more to learn. All our lives the Holy Spirit works at refining our characters and minds, that's why sanctification is said to be the work of a life-time, for it continues all our lives.

Quote:
God leads His people on, step by step. {CCh 55.1}

The entrance of God's word is the application of divine truth to the heart, purifying and refining the soul through the agency of the Holy Spirit. The faculties devoted unreservedly to God, under the guidance of the divine Spirit, develop steadily and harmoniously.
Devotion and piety establish so close a relation between Jesus and His disciples that the Christian becomes like Him. Through the power of God, his weak, vacillating character becomes changed to one of strength and steadfastness. He becomes a person of sound principle, clear perception, and reliable, well-balanced judgment.
Having a connection with God, the source of light and understanding, his views, unbiased by his own preconceived opinions, become broader, his discernment more penetrative and farseeing. The knowledge of God, the understanding of His revealed will, as far as human minds can grasp it, will, when received into the character, make efficient men. {CT 37.3}

There can be no life without growth. The plant must either grow or die. As its growth is silent and imperceptible, but continuous, so is the growth of character. At every stage of development our life may be perfect; yet if God's purpose for us is fulfilled, there will be constant advancement. {CG 162.3}

Re: From Sinners to Saints, Part 3 - Which Way? (Sermon by Arnold Sy Go) [Re: Green Cochoa] #156680
09/27/13 01:32 PM
09/27/13 01:32 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
"Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not." Repeatedly the Bible describes believers not sinning while they are actively, aggressively abiding in Jesus. But I hear you saying, no, they are guilty of sinning unknowingly.

G: I read that verse to mean when we are abiding in Jesus we do not choose to sin. This is not quite the same as we do not sin.

k: Is that another one? Or can you explain how not choosing to do something is different than not doing it?

G: Sure. Not choosing to steal from anyone is different than ignorantly stealing from God because I didn't know about tithing.

No, you switched it. You switched it from not stealing to stealing. Read your statement. That's not what you said. You said not choosing, not doing.

Re: From Sinners to Saints, Part 3 - Which Way? (Sermon by Arnold Sy Go) [Re: kland] #156686
09/27/13 02:08 PM
09/27/13 02:08 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
kland,

When I do not pay tithe because I didn't know about tithing, was I choosing to sin? No. That is why I say "not choosing." If I choose to steal, knowing it's wrong, it's a different category of sin than when I do not choose to abide by a law I did not know. It does not involve a conscious choice to sin when I did not even know about that law.

This is why Paul speaks of sin in Romans as follows:

Originally Posted By: The Bible
7:7 What shall we say then? [is] the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
7:8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin [was] dead.
7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
7:10 And the commandment, which [was ordained] to life, I found [to be] unto death.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: From Sinners to Saints, Part 3 - Which Way? (Sermon by Arnold Sy Go) [Re: Green Cochoa] #156722
09/28/13 09:04 PM
09/28/13 09:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
When Jesus chose to withhold light from people in the past did it result in them sinning?

Please name examples of truth that Jesus chooses nowadays to withhold from people.

Does withholding truth and the inevitable sinning result in defective traits of character?

Mike, I believe Jesus withheld light in the past, not because it would result in them sinning, but in spite of the fact that they were already sinning--because He would have lost them forever had He revealed all at once.

You're a church pastor, right? When you are teaching a new believer, do you "give it to them with both barrels?" In other words, do you make sure they know everything that they ought to know (according to you) right away, immediately if not sooner? You tell them at the funeral that their loved one is not in heaven, but his probation has closed and it will no longer be possible to pray for him or do anything that might lead him to heaven? Do you tell them, before their faith has grasped what God can do for them, that becoming an Adventist means they must pay a tithe of all they have to the church?

What is most important? LOVE. When we love God, obeying Him is a joy. But we won't love Him if we perceive Him to be overly demanding. Truth is powerful medicine--given too much at once, it will kill the patient. Many reject God for perceiving that He demands too much. I just met with such an individual yesterday while standing in line to have my passport inspected. The man was from Germany. He was supposedly Lutheran, but had given up all organized religion as having too many rules. In his case, I don't think he was beyond rescue...unfortunately, I won't likely have contact with him again, or enough to dissuade him from his faulty ideas.

Lies certainly kill. But so can truth. Truth must be applied judiciously, and a little at a time.

Mike, relative to truth that Jesus is withholding nowadays from people, how would I know? If it is being withheld, I am also ignorant of it. Think you that I am a prophet who has been shown something that I am also withholding from others? However, I believe one of these "truths" may involve the details of what is to come in the troubles ahead. New converts might be frightened away to learn things like what their obedience will cost them. At the right time, strength will be given them to endure the trial. Right now, many are unprepared. Is it a sin to be "unprepared" for something yet future? Tell me, is it a sin to be "weak?"

As for withholding truth resulting in defects of character, I do not believe that it does. The defects are already there. They could not possibly be healed by a fuller revelation, or if they could, God would not withhold the cure. The Master Physician knows what the dosage of the Truth medicine needs to be, and this is age- and weight-adjusted (think of faith) to the exact amount the patient is able to tolerate.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

It sounds like you're saying Jesus does not withhold truth that results in cultivating sinful traits of character.

Re: From Sinners to Saints, Part 3 - Which Way? (Sermon by Arnold Sy Go) [Re: asygo] #156723
09/28/13 09:06 PM
09/28/13 09:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
M: Arnold, it is a challenge to agree Jesus withholds truth that results in believers developing sinful traits of character. It also difficult to agree Jesus shed His blood to atone for sins we resist and refuse to commit.

A: Then it is fortunate that I said neither of those things.

That's good to know.

Re: From Sinners to Saints, Part 3 - Which Way? (Sermon by Arnold Sy Go) [Re: Mountain Man] #156862
10/05/13 09:40 PM
10/05/13 09:40 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
bump

Seems like this thread came to a sudden stop, therefore, I am bumping it.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: From Sinners to Saints, Part 3 - Which Way? (Sermon by Arnold Sy Go) [Re: Daryl] #156871
10/06/13 04:00 AM
10/06/13 04:00 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Is the cart put before the horse?

Where is the starting point? The starting point is that all are sinning and ignorant of the love and grace of God. We are born carnal.

God's plan is to change that and awaken and nurture the spiritual dimension throughout the persons life. The Holy Spirit works through various means in His work to achieve this. There are also a lot of influences and circumstances in this sinful world that work against the spiritual growth.

By giving humanity freedom to think and choose, means God must work around a lot of bad choices and circumstances to bring a person to truth.

He knows what parts of truth to set before a person which will most likely lead that person to step forward. Sometimes a person needs to go on a detour because they bulk or just aren't ready to understand something, so they are lead around it and brought back to it at a later date.

Re: From Sinners to Saints, Part 3 - Which Way? (Sermon by Arnold Sy Go) [Re: dedication] #156917
10/07/13 04:21 PM
10/07/13 04:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, please respond to the posts above. Thank you.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!