HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,300 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Osteoporosis [Re: kland] #134539
06/17/11 01:23 AM
06/17/11 01:23 AM
H
Harold Fair  Offline
Active Member 2013
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: kland

Glad to hear you have the materials for the experiment. Looking forward to hear the results. I've just read an advertisement about GMO corn making chickens sick. Something about that ad didn't make me want to believe they tested it, though.

I guess I will have to try again. The corn I got from the Amish seems to be contaminated. The birds make no distinction in which pile they eat from, and I know the corn from the other farmer is GM. Even the crows or rabbits don't care witch pile they eat from.

Harold T.
Re: Osteoporosis [Re: Harold Fair] #134540
06/17/11 01:59 AM
06/17/11 01:59 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Harold Fair
Originally Posted By: kland

Glad to hear you have the materials for the experiment. Looking forward to hear the results. I've just read an advertisement about GMO corn making chickens sick. Something about that ad didn't make me want to believe they tested it, though.

I guess I will have to try again. The corn I got from the Amish seems to be contaminated. The birds make no distinction in which pile they eat from, and I know the corn from the other farmer is GM. Even the crows or rabbits don't care witch pile they eat from.

I'm not surprised. Birds do not smell well at all (with the exception of some vultures), and the appearance of the corn is likely the same. So what is left? Taste. I'm not sure there would be much difference in the flavor--sufficient, that is, for the birds to avoid it. Furthermore, taste is rather limited for birds too.

Here's part of an article I found online.
Quote:
Most birds have little use for the sense of smell. The odors of food, prey, enemies or mates quickly disperse in the wind. Birds possess olfactory glands, but they're not well developed in most species, including the songbirds in our backyards.

The same is true for taste, which is related to smell. While humans have 9,000 taste buds, songbirds have fewer than 50.

That means the birds we feed around our homes must locate their food by sight or touch, two senses that are highly developed in birds.
A Taste Test

Anyone who has used cayenne pepper in birdseed to discourage squirrels knows that birds will eat the seeds without hesitation. Why? Because birds don't detect the strong scent and taste of the pepper.

However, squirrels, like all mammals, have well-developed senses of smell and taste and react to the pepper as we would—with distaste.

Further evidence that birds find food by sight is an experiment I conducted with six wild birdseed mixes, each having a unique formula and a different appearance.

I presented the six mixes in two kinds of feeders, six tube feeders and six tray feeders. At the end of each day, I weighed and measured the uneaten seeds.

One mix was a clear winner, but what amazed me was watching the birds go right to the feeders containing the winning mix, even though I frequently rotated them. Obviously, they recognized the favored mix by its appearance.

Why they preferred this specific mix, however, is somewhat of a mystery. Since instinct plays a large role in their behavior, one possible explanation is the birds relied on their genetic programming to determine what seed was best for them. After all, birds are "built" to eat certain types of foods.
alt text
Common Scents

While most birds seem to lack much power of smell, there are some groups of birds that can locate food using their olfactory glands.

Extensive research into this subject has shown that vultures, seabirds, kiwis and parrots have well-developed olfactory glands, giving them some sense of smell and taste.

A biologist once watched as vultures found hidden meat by detecting its odor. Some seabirds can smell fish oils from a distance and kiwis in New Zealand are able to sniff out earthworms underground. But these are exceptions in the bird world.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Osteoporosis [Re: Green Cochoa] #134545
06/17/11 11:40 AM
06/17/11 11:40 AM
H
Harold Fair  Offline
Active Member 2013
Florida, USA
'"Anyone who has used cayenne pepper in birdseed to discourage squirrels knows that birds will eat the seeds without hesitation. Why? Because birds don't detect the strong scent and taste of the pepper.""

I didn't know that about the pepper. I did notice that when the wife cooks too much of our own sweet corn and throws the left over out to the birds that they get to it immediately.
( I am not real swift on back quoting on this)

Harold T.
Re: Osteoporosis [Re: Green Cochoa] #134551
06/17/11 02:26 PM
06/17/11 02:26 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
Anyone who has used cayenne pepper in birdseed to discourage squirrels knows that birds will eat the seeds without hesitation. Why? Because birds don't detect the strong scent and taste of the pepper.
From what I've read, it doesn't have to do with not being able to taste the pepper, but has to do with how the pepper works. If you've ever messed with hot peppers, try washing your hands good and then accidentally touching around your eyes or other sensitive areas. Does one conclude they can taste with their skin? What I read was that it's the way the active compound works in peppers. It affects mammals and not birds. This enables the birds to spread the seeds and not mammals. The seeds aren't digested in birds.
Quote:
Extensive research into this subject has shown that vultures, seabirds, kiwis and parrots have well-developed olfactory glands, giving them some sense of smell and taste.
So a great test would be to give them peppers and see if it affects them. I would think not since they are not mammals. That's why it's a good suggestion to add pepper in bird seed to keep the varmints from eating it.

Re: Osteoporosis [Re: kland] #135036
07/07/11 11:12 PM
07/07/11 11:12 PM
S
Suzanne  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Tomato Juice and Bone Health

A daily dose of tomato juice--rich in the antioxidant lycopene--can help protect against osteoporosis, the disease that causes bones to become brittle and fracture easily, according to University of Toronto researchers.

A study of 60 postmenopausal women found that those who drank 2 glasses of tomato juice a day--containing at least 30 mg of lycopene--showed a significant decrease in the breakdown of bone cell after 4 months.

"Our study suggests that lycopene can be used as a natural alternative supplement for improving bone health." according to Dr. Leticia Rao.

Suzanne

Re: Osteoporosis [Re: Suzanne] #136185
09/22/11 12:37 AM
09/22/11 12:37 AM
S
Suzanne  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Recipe for Protecting Bones

A Florida State University researcher has found a simple way to improve bone health--eating prunes!

In his study, a group of postmenopausal women were instructed to eat 10 dried prunes a day for a 12-month period--a second group was given a comparable amount of dried apples.

The prune eaters had significantly higher bone mineral density in the spine and ulna (arm bone).

"I have tested numerous fruits, including figs, dates, strawberries and raisins, and none of them come anywhere close to having the effect on bone dnesity that dried plums has," says professor Bahram Arjmandi. He encourages people to take action before osteoporosis strikes." "People could start eating 2 to 3 dried plums per day and increase gradually to perhaps 6 to 10 a day."

Suzanne

Comment: Remember that each fruit has its own nutritional profile and we would do well to include a wide variety in our diet.

SS

Re: Osteoporosis [Re: Suzanne] #144048
07/09/12 04:42 PM
07/09/12 04:42 PM
S
Suzanne  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Why Most Calcium Supplements Are Useles for Osteoporosis

For years, North American women have been taking calcium supplements for stronger bones. Yet they continue to get osteoporosis in record numbers. Why? Because taking supplements is not enough. You also need to engage in weight-bearing exercise.

However you do not have to lift heavy weights or do torturous aerobic workouts. Researchers studying the effect of different activities have found that one of the best bone-building activities is gardening! Indeed, gardening was more effective than almost all the other activities studied. --Bottom Line Health, Spring 2012.

Suzanne

Re: Osteoporosis [Re: Suzanne] #144137
07/13/12 11:44 AM
07/13/12 11:44 AM
G
geoffm  Offline
Active Member 2012
NSW, Australia
"Exercise in the open air should be prescribed as a life giving necessity, and for such, there is nothing better than the tilling of the soil." Ministry of Healing. So what's new?

Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love. 2 John 3.
Re: Osteoporosis [Re: geoffm] #157728
10/30/13 12:10 AM
10/30/13 12:10 AM
S
Suzanne  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Cows have strong bones, so why don't we?

by Craig Stellpflug

(NaturalNews) Ever heard of a cow needing the bone drug Fosomax? How do cows get such strong bones? From eating lots of plants of course. Cows' milk is for a growing baby calf, but before the calf is grown, it is weaned from milk and moves on to eating grass. Big Ag, Big Pharma and their well-paid friend - the media, would have you think that milk and drugs are required for strong bones. American women consume an average of two pounds of milk and dairy products per day and yet some 30 million women have osteoporosis. Milk and dairy products in excess actually accelerate bone loss and the bone drugs are just causing brittle bones, more fractures and cancer.

Silent bone thieves

The main reasons we have weak bones is that cows' milk and pharmaceutical drugs (including over-the-counter drugs) have an acidifying effect on the body. When the body is acidic, it automatically pulls calcium out of the bones to neutralize acids. Cows' milk has three times more protein than human milk but when drinking cows' milk, a large amount of protein is converted into acids which actually leach more calcium from the bones than was in the milk in the first place. Pasteurize milk and 50 percent of the calcium is not even absorbed.

You can have the densest bones in the region and they can snap like dry twigs if there is no bone quality. Aside from acidifying the body, bone meds may improve bone density, but not bone quality. Long-term use of bone meds like Actonel, Boniva, Fosamax and Reclast have been linked to femur fractures after four years. The drug Infuse for bone growth causes cancer risk (including pancreatic) to shoot up by more than 250 percent in one year and 500 percent by three years.

With all the "cutting edge" osteo meds out there, osteoporosis numbers should be plummeting - instead they are rising...

Let's assume we need to fix our bone problems

If we just assume that we need to be concerned about bone health and treat our bones naturally, there would be no need for bone scans and osteo meds. It is our diet and lifestyle that has weakened the core structure of our bodies. There are many things that are critical to bone health - and drugs are not one of them.

In order to have and maintain healthy bones, we should get plenty of good water, seeds, nuts, leafy greens, beans, fruits and veggies in our diets. Even then, we still need weight-bearing exercise and plenty of raw sunshine for our bone health.

The mineral zinc has been shown to increase osteoblast (bone-building) activity, which is how the body manufactures bone. Zinc also inhibits the osteoclast (tearing down) process responsible for bone reabsorption and catabolism. According to the latest research, taking supplemental zinc directly improves bone mass for osteoporosis prevention. Make sure that the zinc you take internally is not zinc oxide.

Vitamin K works with fat-soluble nutrients to protect the brain from arterial calcification that leads to stroke and/or cognitive decline. Vitamin K helps prevent calcium deposits in arterial walls while allowing the body use of calcium for bone health.

Olive leaf extract can help lower the risk of developing osteoporosis. Studies found that it helps support bone strength and balance inflammatory responses.

Vitamin D studies show that it can support hip joint strength and integrity in elderly women by 69 percent while also improving muscle strength.

Bottom line

Bottom line, it is your health and your bones and a little common sense goes a long ways. If you are concerned about your bone health, avoid the pharmaceutical solutions that aren't working and do the natural thing.

Sources for this article:

http://jcs.biologists.org/content/113/3/377.full.pdf
http://notmilk.com/
http://rense.com/general63/milkmyth.htm
http://www.strongbones.org/

Suzanne

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!