HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,601
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 24 1 2 3 4 23 24
Re: Some signs will happen again? [Re: kland] #160794
01/24/14 09:19 PM
01/24/14 09:19 PM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
I see what you are saying now Alchemy.

There are many times that Mrs White was inspired to say "history is to be repeated".

The moon turning to blood, the great dark day, and the falling of the stars is connected to Matthew 24 and Luke 21. There was a local (USA) fulfillment at the unsealing of the book of Daniel before 1844 but it will be repeated in the last days on a universal scale when the heavens will roll away like a scroll.

This is evident in her writings but I am not sure she actually said those words but the sentiment you are expressing is definetely implied. I have heard several sermons on this exact point which made the argument just like you are, so you probably heard this from a pastor.

Peace.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Some signs will happen again? [Re: Alchemy] #160808
01/25/14 03:21 AM
01/25/14 03:21 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Originally Posted By: Alchemy

There was a statement I read by Ellen G. White where she said something to the effect that some signs would be fulfilled again. I think it was in Early Writings, but I can't remember the exact quote.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

The quote below is remarkable for several reasons. It was written December 22, 1890, from Washington, D. C., to "Dear Children, Edson, Emma, and Willie." The first part of the letter gives her children the news of what she’s been doing. The second half launches into a description of final events. Among many other interesting comments on the end times she says the following:
Quote:
The power of the Holy Ghost must be upon us, and the Captain of the Lord's host will stand at the head of the angels of heaven to direct the battle. Solemn events before us are yet to transpire. Trumpet after trumpet is to be sounded, vial after vial poured out one after another upon the inhabitants of the earth. {14MR 287.1}

If she had stopped at her statement that "trumpet after trumpet" will sound, we might be justified in questioning whether she really was referring to the seven trumpets of Revelation 8 to 11 which Adventists place mainly in the past. (All but the seventh.) But since she links her comment on the trumpets to the vials or plagues logic requires us to consider the possibility that she really does mean what she appears to be saying - that all seven trumpets and plagues apply to the end times and that the trumpets will be repeated. But, you be the judge.

And so to answer your question, if the trumpets are repeated, they do indicate that a third of the light of the sun and moon will be obscured during the fourth trumpet. This could be the primary fulfillment of the sun being darkened and the moon turning to blood.

Below is another quote along the same lines but in this one she links the seals as well as the trumpets and plagues together and again places all three in the future. The context of this statement is that she and some co-workers were caught in a severe thunderstorm in Australia and the experience gave her forebodings of what the time of trouble will be like:

Quote:
My imagination anticipated what it must be in that period when the Lord's mighty voice shall give commission to His angels, "Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth" (Rev. 16:1). Thy right hand, O God, shall dash in pieces Thine enemies. Revelation 6 and 7 are full of meaning. Terrible are the judgments of God revealed. The seven angels stood before God to receive their commission. To them were given seven trumpets. The Lord was going forth to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity, and the earth was to disclose her blood and no more cover her slain. Give the description in chapter 6. {15MR 219.2 – 220.1}

So, it's well worth the effort in my view to look carefully at the implications of a future fulfillment of both the trumpets and seals. I don't doubt that the sun and moon will be darkened again. Pastor Hagee has captured the popular imagination recently with his book on blood moons. The upcoming blood moons (April 2014 is the first of four) are likely not a fulfillment of the fourth trumpet because in the fourth trumpet the sun will be affected too. But it is possible that the blood moons are related to Joel. We'll know soon if they are.

Re: Some signs will happen again? [Re: Charity] #160812
01/25/14 06:26 AM
01/25/14 06:26 AM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
Originally Posted By: Alchemy

There was a statement I read by Ellen G. White where she said something to the effect that some signs would be fulfilled again. I think it was in Early Writings, but I can't remember the exact quote.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

The quote below is remarkable for several reasons. It was written December 22, 1890, from Washington, D. C., to "Dear Children, Edson, Emma, and Willie." The first part of the letter gives her children the news of what she’s been doing. The second half launches into a description of final events. Among many other interesting comments on the end times she says the following:
Quote:
The power of the Holy Ghost must be upon us, and the Captain of the Lord's host will stand at the head of the angels of heaven to direct the battle. Solemn events before us are yet to transpire. Trumpet after trumpet is to be sounded, vial after vial poured out one after another upon the inhabitants of the earth. {14MR 287.1}

If she had stopped at her statement that "trumpet after trumpet" will sound, we might be justified in questioning whether she really was referring to the seven trumpets of Revelation 8 to 11 which Adventists place mainly in the past. (All but the seventh.) But since she links her comment on the trumpets to the vials or plagues logic requires us to consider the possibility that she really does mean what she appears to be saying - that all seven trumpets and plagues apply to the end times and that the trumpets will be repeated. But, you be the judge.

And so to answer your question, if the trumpets are repeated, they do indicate that a third of the light of the sun and moon will be obscured during the fourth trumpet. This could be the primary fulfillment of the sun being darkened and the moon turning to blood.

Below is another quote along the same lines but in this one she links the seals as well as the trumpets and plagues together and again places all three in the future. The context of this statement is that she and some co-workers were caught in a severe thunderstorm in Australia and the experience gave her forebodings of what the time of trouble will be like:

Quote:
My imagination anticipated what it must be in that period when the Lord's mighty voice shall give commission to His angels, "Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth" (Rev. 16:1). Thy right hand, O God, shall dash in pieces Thine enemies. Revelation 6 and 7 are full of meaning. Terrible are the judgments of God revealed. The seven angels stood before God to receive their commission. To them were given seven trumpets. The Lord was going forth to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity, and the earth was to disclose her blood and no more cover her slain. Give the description in chapter 6. {15MR 219.2 – 220.1}

So, it's well worth the effort in my view to look carefully at the implications of a future fulfillment of both the trumpets and seals. I don't doubt that the sun and moon will be darkened again. Pastor Hagee has captured the popular imagination recently with his book on blood moons. The upcoming blood moons (April 2014 is the first of four) are likely not a fulfillment of the fourth trumpet because in the fourth trumpet the sun will be affected too. But it is possible that the blood moons are related to Joel. We'll know soon if they are.

The seven trumpets are just the seven messages to the seven churches. The trumpets are figurative. There's nothing to be like "trumpet after trumpet will sound." Sorry.

///

Re: Some signs will happen again? [Re: James Peterson] #160813
01/25/14 01:09 PM
01/25/14 01:09 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
James, have you reviewed the fruit of Ellen White's ministry, her alignment with scripture and her prophetic track record? But Ellen White aside, the first rule of prophetic interpretation is to read a passage literally unless this is contextually impossible. In the case of the trumpets the literal approach works and so it should be preferred.

Re: Some signs will happen again? [Re: Charity] #160815
01/25/14 04:08 PM
01/25/14 04:08 PM
G
Godsloveandlaw  Offline
SDA
Supporting Member 2015
Active Member 2015

Coachella Valley, Cailf.
Good morning Mark,
I think you hit on a very important topic-- interpretation.
There is much said about that in the Scriptures, SOP and the Elijah message.

I'd like to bring some thoughts on this subject.

Ellen White give some specific advice to this that really addresses interpretation issues, such as,

"God has given us His word that we may become acquainted with its teachings and know for ourselves what He requires of us. When the lawyer came to Jesus with the inquiry, “What shall I do to inherit eternal life?” the Saviour referred him to the Scriptures, saying: “What is written in the law? how readest thou?”

Ignorance will not excuse young or old, nor release them from the punishment due for the transgression of God’s law; because there is in their hands a faithful presentation of that law and of its principles and claims. It is not enough to have good intentions; it is not enough to do what a man thinks is right or what the minister tells him is right.

His soul’s salvation is at stake, and he should search the Scriptures for himself. However strong may be his convictions, however confident he may be that the minister knows what is truth, this is not his foundation. He has a chart pointing out every waymark on the heavenward journey, and he ought not to guess at anything." (GC 598.1)

"The truths most plainly revealed in the Bible have been involved in doubt and darkness by learned men, who, with a pretense of great wisdom, teach that the Scriptures have a mystical, a secret, spiritual meaning not apparent in the language employed. These men are false teachers. It was to such a class that Jesus declared: “Ye know not the Scriptures, neither the power of God.” Mark 12:24.

The language of the Bible should be explained according to its obvious meaning, unless a symbol or figure is employed. Christ has given the promise: “If any man will do His will, he shall know of the doctrine.”[/u] John 7:17.

If men would but take the Bible as it reads, if there were no false teachers to mislead and confuse their minds, a work would be accomplished that would make angels glad and that would bring into the fold of Christ thousands upon thousands who are now wandering in error." GC 599.3

(We see that a real trap comes when we ignore the plain words of Inspiration. A slippery road then becomes our path and doctrines and false truths develop from there. For instance, as we pointed out in our Sunday law/ church judgment study, when people destroy the plain word "all" and make it "not all" or when they say 144,000 means "not 144,000" then they are in the hand of the evil one, whose wish is to destroy them by having them destroy God's plain simple word (and worse yet --teach it) and base their belief on something other than the "Word" which is Christ.)

"Many a portion of Scripture which learned men pronounce a mystery, or pass over as unimportant, is full of comfort and instruction to him who has been taught in the school of Christ. One reason why many theologians have no clearer understanding of God's word is, they close their eyes to truths which they do not wish to practice.

An understanding of Bible truth depends not so much on the power of intellect brought to the search as on the singleness of purpose, the earnest longing after righteousness." (GC 599.2)

(We see that our motive is a prime requirement to understand Scripture. Some privately "interpret" because they have a secret motive (even unbeknownst to themselves) that they wish to exalt self, as some kind of divine teacher instead of "longing after righteousness".)

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is on any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit." (2 Peter 1:20-21)

(The Holy Spirit, aka "The Spirit of Truth", is the One that guides us, our carnal finite minds can and do falsify the Scriptures, if we are not led by God's Spirit.)

On last point I'd like to make is that in our discussions, I have found a very good clue in finding out where people are at (in relation to their walk with the Lord). When we make points of truth based on Inspired writings, and we do not receive acknowledgement, but rather a jumping OVER to a new point, we can be assured that they prefer not truth but rather "their" ideas first and foremost. We are told that those who do not love the truth will be lost (2 Thes, 2:10) So how do we show we love truth? By acknowledgement of it, in all it's forms.

So bottom line, I believe in what you said, " the first rule of prophetic interpretation is to read a passage literally unless contextually impossible."

Re: Some signs will happen again? [Re: Charity] #160822
01/25/14 08:39 PM
01/25/14 08:39 PM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
James, have you reviewed the fruit of Ellen White's ministry, her alignment with scripture and her prophetic track record? But Ellen White aside, the first rule of prophetic interpretation is to read a passage literally unless this is contextually impossible. In the case of the trumpets the literal approach works and so it should be preferred.

Brother Mark is right on in his approach at the Testimonies. After reading His input considerably I believe he sees them in their correct light, as an extension of scripture both in meaning and symbology.

God has given an interpreter of scripture for the last days, Mrs Ellen White, but she did not lay down every single point to be read, she gave clues for those in the very last days to discover and interpret, the same kind of clues that scripture gives.

A lesser light pointing to the greater light is still light, the same substance that scripture was written in.

God used the writings of Mrs White as an extension of scripture, in the perfect light, leading men to the perfect understanding of His Holy Word through the same Spirit that gave God's Holy word. This is why I am enchouraged to believe that the 144,000 will arrise from the SDA church.

"Luther’s pen was a power, and his writings, scattered broadcast, stirred the world. The same agencies are at our command, with facilities multiplied a hundred-fold. Bibles, publications in many languages, setting forth the truth for this time, are at our hand, and can be swiftly carried to all the world. We are to give the last warning of God to men, and what should be our earnestness in studying the Bible, and our zeal in spreading the light!—Testimonies for the Church 6:403. {GW 390.2}

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Some signs will happen again? [Re: jamesonofthunder] #160830
01/26/14 12:49 AM
01/26/14 12:49 AM
G
Godsloveandlaw  Offline
SDA
Supporting Member 2015
Active Member 2015

Coachella Valley, Cailf.
"A lesser light pointing to the greater light is still light, the same substance that scripture was written in.

God used the writings of Mrs White as an extension of scripture, in the perfect light, leading men to the perfect understanding of His Holy Word through the same Spirit that gave God's Holy word. This is why I am enchouraged to believe that the 144,000 will arrise from the SDA church."

Well said brother James.

Re: Some signs will happen again? [Re: Charity] #160831
01/26/14 02:26 AM
01/26/14 02:26 AM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada

Do you expect locust that resemble women to ascend soon from a US pit?

///

Re: Some signs will happen again? [Re: Godsloveandlaw] #160832
01/26/14 02:28 AM
01/26/14 02:28 AM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Godsloveandlaw
"A lesser light pointing to the greater light is still light, the same substance that scripture was written in.

God used the writings of Mrs White as an extension of scripture, in the perfect light, leading men to the perfect understanding of His Holy Word through the same Spirit that gave God's Holy word. This is why I am enchouraged to believe that the 144,000 will arrise from the SDA church."

Well said brother James.

When the sun is shining, there's no need for the moon. The only people who need candles are those who have shut themselves away in darkness.

///

Re: Some signs will happen again? [Re: jamesonofthunder] #160839
01/26/14 10:42 AM
01/26/14 10:42 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: jamesonofthunder
I see what you are saying now Alchemy.

There are many times that Mrs White was inspired to say "history is to be repeated".

The moon turning to blood, the great dark day, and the falling of the stars is connected to Matthew 24 and Luke 21. There was a local (USA) fulfillment at the unsealing of the book of Daniel before 1844 but it will be repeated in the last days on a universal scale when the heavens will roll away like a scroll.

This is evident in her writings but I am not sure she actually said those words but the sentiment you are expressing is definetely implied. I have heard several sermons on this exact point which made the argument just like you are, so you probably heard this from a pastor.

Peace.

And you might be right James.

I have decided to read Early Writings again because I think that is where I read something to this effect.

It can't hurt.

Page 2 of 24 1 2 3 4 23 24

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 04/29/24 09:07 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!