HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 25 1 2 22 23 24 25
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16513
09/13/06 04:06 PM
09/13/06 04:06 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Sorry I missed your post John. We know what sin is. But there is a question here on what or how much free will we actually have. I posted Article 18 of the Confession as being a scripturally accurate statement. I think it is possible to harmonize this statement with the fact that although we have free will, everyone sins. The fact that everyone sins is evidence that our wills are not as free as some think.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16514
09/13/06 08:05 PM
09/13/06 08:05 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
How free do you think people think we are Mark? How free are we really? How is the fact that people sin evidence that we suffer a lack of freedom? Couldn't we say that the fact that people are converted is proof that they are completely free to choose to be saved?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16515
09/13/06 10:31 PM
09/13/06 10:31 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
How free are we really? That is the question. If we are free to choose to be saved then why hasn't someone yeilded to God fully before he or she committed sin. Sin is a deliberate choice to do wrong. Everyone has made that choice, so how is it that no one with free will ever choose not to sin? Is that by chance? What are the odds of that happeneing? The scriptures say it is no chance - that God has consigned all to sin so that He can have mercy on all. So what does that tell us about free will. Have another look at what the reformers taught in Article 18.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16516
09/13/06 11:50 PM
09/13/06 11:50 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Article 18 has to do with Pelagianism, as I've pointed out several times now. I think this is the third time I'm presenting this quote:

They condemn the Pelagians and others, who teach that without the Holy Ghost, by the power of nature alone, we are able to love God above all things; also to do the commandments of God as touching "the substance of the act." For, although nature is able in a manner to do the outward work, (for it is able to keep the hands from theft and murder,) yet it cannot produce the inward motions, such as the fear of God, trust in God, chastity, patience, etc.

Melanchthon is talking about Pelagians. I don't understand why you keep bringing this up.

Ok, let's skip this, and consider your other questions.

Quote:

How free are we really? That is the question.

The question of how free we are can be answered in two basic ways, as far as the context of our discussion is concerned. One is that a person is free to do whatever he chooses to do. This is the libertarian or incompatibilistic view. This is the traditional SDA view, and what Ellen White taught.

The other way to answer the question is that a person is free to do whatever they want to do, or most desire to do. There will is in one sense determined, because all things are determined by God, but in another sense free, because God does not force anyone to do something they do not want to do. This was the view of the Reformers.

Quote:

If we are free to choose to be saved then why hasn't someone yielded to God fully before he or she committed sin.

I'm not seeing that this question makes any sense. I'll illustrate this as follows. Let A be the statement that one is free to choose to be saved. Let B be the statement that one can yield to God before sinning. You are suggesting the proposition that A should imply B: If one is free to choose to be saved, then one can yield to God before sinning.

This is equivalent to suggesting that ~B should ~A, the converse of the first proposition: if one cannot yield to God before sinning, then one is not free to choose to be saved. This proposition is clearly false, so therefore your original proposition is also false.

This is a formal proof. To state it in simple terms, there's no reason the conclusion you are stating should follow from the premise. That is, the fact that one does not yield one's self to God before sinning does not imply that one cannot freely choose to be saved.

Quote:

Sin is a deliberate choice to do wrong. Everyone has made that choice, so how is it that no one with free will ever choose not to sin? Is that by chance? What are the odds of that happeneing? The scriptures say it is no chance - that God has consigned all to sin so that He can have mercy on all.

Here you are saying that God is responsible for people sinning before the age of accountability, correct? I think I'd better clarify this before commenting. This certainly appears to be what you are saying. But I may be misunderstanding your point, so please explain what you mean by your last sentence.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16517
09/14/06 01:06 AM
09/14/06 01:06 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Perhaps we have not learned what sin is, and/or what the choice consists of.

The problem is to think that we are born in a neutral state and think we can choose to sin or not to sin on an arbitrary basis.

Since Adam every man is born in a sinful state. Every man is born with his spirit turned in towards his own being, thus forming ‘self’. That is, every one is born with the Lord on the outside, knocking.

Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

From self and the flesh comes no ability to perform that which is good; no matter how much I will to do it.

But man still has the ability to choose whether he wants to remain a sinner or not. Man can choose to turn away from his ‘self’ and make the Lord his source. Now, the point is: that this is not an arbitrary action or choice; just as much as God is not arbitrary in whom he saves.

Before one will choose to be saved, or turn from ‘self’ to God, he needs to realize that he needs to be saved, and that ‘self’ is no good for source.

The amount of sins one commits is beside the point.

Rom 11:32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

Though we all come into this world in unbelief (our spirit turned to our own being); this results in an unmerciful state; a sinful state. God offers us all mercy and grace so that we may turn from ‘self’ to him and receive mercy and grace and thus be saved from unbelief.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16518
09/17/06 12:15 PM
09/17/06 12:15 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
It is unfortunate that you insist, Tom, on mischaracterizing Article 18. The main point of the Article is to tell the world what the reformed Church believed regarding the biblical concept of free will. The Article is part of their confession of faith. The reference to Pelagianism is only to help clarify the scriptural position of the Lutherans on free will by way of contrasting it to one of the common errors of the day. We could examine what error Pelagianism taught, and that would probably help somewhat, but that's not essential for the discussion because the main position on free will is set out in the main part of the article that precedes the reference to Pelagianism.

True John, we can choose to yeild to the Holy Spirit. True, everyone who is lost is lost by their own choice in not yeilding to the Holy Spirit. But can we be saved by choosing to be any more than we can choose not to sin? God has consigned all to sin. Out of those consigned to sin, He has chosen the elect. The elect are saved because God will have mercy on whom He will have mercy. This seems cruel to the unaided mind. The doctine though is a consolation to the open-hearted. It places the primary responsibility for our salvation with the unchanging love of God rather than with the fickle human will.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16519
09/17/06 01:47 PM
09/17/06 01:47 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Quote:

But can we be saved by choosing to be any more than we can choose not to sin? God has consigned all to sin. Out of those consigned to sin, He has chosen the elect. The elect are saved because God will have mercy on whom He will have mercy. This seems cruel to the unaided mind. The doctrine though is a consolation to the open-hearted. It places the primary responsibility for our salvation with the unchanging love of God rather than with the fickle human will.

I should have said it differently.
But man still has the ability to choose whether he wants to be God’s child. Man can choose to turn away from his ‘self’ and receive the Lord for his source. Now, the point is: that this is not an arbitrary action or choice; just as much as God is not arbitrary in whom he saves.

The part that I find amiss with your statement is the meaning you give to: “I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy”. This was never intended to be taken as an arbitrary statement; as is evident by the multitude of all-inclusive statements, like:
Rom 11:32 …that he might have mercy upon all.
1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

But it was to be understood that “on whom I will have mercy” is and was a revealed qualification. So instead of taking it as an arbitrary statement, the proper question to ask is “On whom will you have mercy, Lord?” And then the answers come back:

Isa 55:1 Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.

Psa 34:18 The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Psa 51:17 … a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

And I know you know the multitude of other statements. Likewise it also says whom it is that the Lord works against. It is likewise not arbitrary, but a revealed qualification.

Pro 11:20 They that are of a froward heart are abomination to the LORD: but such as are upright in their way are his delight.

Deu 32:20 And he said, I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end shall be: for they are a very froward generation, children in whom is no faith.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16520
09/17/06 08:55 PM
09/17/06 08:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

It is unfortunate that you insist, Tom, on mischaracterizing Article 18. The main point of the Article is to tell the world what the reformed Church believed regarding the biblical concept of free will. The Article is part of their confession of faith. The reference to Pelagianism is only to help clarify the scriptural position of the Lutherans on free will by way of contrasting it to one of the common errors of the day. We could examine what error Pelagianism taught, and that would probably help somewhat, but that's not essential for the discussion because the main position on free will is set out in the main part of the article that precedes the reference to Pelagianism.

I'm not mischaraterizing it. I'm saying the same thing you are. The purpose of the article was to express a concept in the light of an issue of the day. This is always what drives statements such as these.

No one at that time was disputing Augustine's teachings. This didn't come until later. So to take what they say as making some sort of comment on free will from an Augustinian free of reference is to take it out of context. You're trying to have the statement address an issue which wasn't an issue at the time of the statement. No one was disagreeing with Augustine yet, so there would have been no point in a statement being produced to address an issue which didn't exist.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16521
09/17/06 09:02 PM
09/17/06 09:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mark, I'm curious. How did you happen to become an SDA? Where did you learn the ideas on election that you have?

As I mentioned earlier, before becoming an Adventist, I was a Calvinist. In becoming an Adventist, I "unlearned" the Calvinist ideas, and learned that Adventists are Arminianists. Anyone who attends Adventist churches knows the emphasis preached like this: "Yes, Christ died for everybody, but it does you know good unless you accept it." Surely you've heard this. This is typical Adventism.

So it's interesting to meet an Adventist who has obviously come at this from a different perspective.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16522
09/18/06 02:37 AM
09/18/06 02:37 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Tom, I was brought up an Adventist, the son of an Adventist pastor. My ideas come from my study of the Bible. I've never studied Calvanism.

I agree with this statement you quoted:

"Yes, Christ died for everybody, but it does you no good unless you accept it."

The early church taught this and the early reformers like Luther and Zwingli believed and taught it too. That statement is scriptural as well as the quotes that John posted above that say God shows mercy to all. They don't overrule other scripture though. That is the reason for the success of the reformers - they allowed the scripture to speak and although they retained some error, they were better than most generations at putting aside their own opinions and allowed the Spirit to speak through scripture.

The difference between what I believe and what most Adventists believe is that I accept the scriptural statements regarding the election even though on the surface they seem to conflict with our view of free will. The reason for that is that our view of free will in Adventism is not completely in harmony with scripture, although if we accepted all of the statements of Ellen White on the topic we would have a better balance. So I refer you to the more scripturally accurate statement found in Article 18. I could requote Ellen White as well.

My summary of scripture is that both the human will and the will of God are essential ingredients in salvation, but the primary ingredient is the will of God, the secondary is the human will. We err if we change that order or place the human will on par with the will of God.

Regarding God consigning us all to sin, this means that although God tempts no one, the God has ordained this order of things so that He can have mercy on all. It is something of a mystery, but I don't know how successful I will be at persuading you of that.

Page 24 of 25 1 2 22 23 24 25

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!