HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 25 of 25 1 2 23 24 25
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16523
09/18/06 03:20 AM
09/18/06 03:20 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thank you for answering my personal question to you.

I would like it if you would requote Ellen White.

The following statement seems typical to me of her thought:

None will ever come to Christ, save those who respond to the drawing of the Father's love. But God is drawing all hearts unto Him, and only those who resist His drawing will refuse to come to Christ.(DA 387)

Do you understand Luther's and Zwingl's teaching to be in harmony with this? Don't they teach instead that God's will is irrestible? Isn't that what the doctine of election is about? God elects who He will, and then draws them with irresitible grace, so that they are saved? And this is how it is that God is fully responsible for the salvation of the elect?

Does God elect some to be saved, and then irresitibly call those whom He has elected? Or does God elect all to be saved in Christ, draw all, and only those who resist the drawing are lost? How can you reconcile these two schools of thought which are so diametrically opposed to one another?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16524
09/18/06 11:07 AM
09/18/06 11:07 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I'm not aware of any reformer from that time who believed in irresitible grace. Later Calvin may have believed that, I'm not sure.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16525
09/18/06 02:01 PM
09/18/06 02:01 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
How would you express the thought then, Mark? What do you see as different in Calvin's presentation of irresitible grace and what Luther and the other Reformers believed in regards to the salvation of the elect?

What the term is called doesn't really matter. What I'm concerned with is the process. Is it a unilateral process, or is it one which involves the free will of the one responding? You do agree that Luther taught that human free will is not involved in salvation, don't you?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16526
09/21/06 01:19 AM
09/21/06 01:19 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Quote:

You do agree that Luther taught that human free will is not involved in salvation, don't you?

Not only did Luther believe that human free will was important, he believed it was essential, the only thing more important being the Divine will. To Luther, and in scripture, Divine will that sets the love of God on us, God's people, is the primary ingredient; the secondary ingredient is the human will. It is not the primary, but it is still an essential ingredient.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16527
09/21/06 03:20 AM
09/21/06 03:20 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Since God's foreknowledge is not uncertain, "free-will" is non-existent

It is fundamentally necessary and healthy for Christians to acknowledge that God foreknows nothing uncertainly, but that He foresees, purposes, and does all things according to His own immutable, eternal and infallible will. This bombshell knocks "free-will" flat, and utterly shatters it; so that those who want to assert it must either deny my bombshell, or pretend not to notice it, or find some other way of dodging it.

This is from Luther's "The bondage of the will."

This does not appear to me to be saying the same thing you are saying, Mark. It appears to me to be saying the same thing I'm saying.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16528
09/21/06 11:26 PM
09/21/06 11:26 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
From time to time Luther made emphatic statements like this because he wanted people to see that scripture does not teach free will as most people think of it. But his view of free will is summarized in Article 18 of the Confession. Historians tell us that he fully concurred with Melancthon the author on everything of any importance. In fact, Luther, while he didn't attend the Augsburg conference of 1530 (or 31?) where the Confession was drafted, coached the movements of the Protestant theologians and princes from a lodging just far enough away from Augsburg so that his presence wouldn't be a distraction to the catholic princes who mortally hated him, but close enough so that he could be in almost daily communication with his followers.

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16529
09/22/06 05:45 AM
09/22/06 05:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mark, I'm not following your reasoning here. Luther's statement was not dealing with how people see free will so much as an argument which was based on Luther's percpetions of God's attributes. Luther reasoned from the premise that God's will is immutable and all-powerful, accepting Augustine's premises. From the premises of Augusting, the rest follows. Luther was not illogical; just his premises were wrong.

Article 18 was dealing with a different issue. If you want to know what Luther thought, just look at the Lutheran church! Look at what they teach about election and predestination. They have faithfully preserved his teachings on these subjects.

"The human doctrine of free will and of our spiritual powers is futile. The matter (salvation) does not depend on our will but on God’s will and election." (Martin Luther)

Either Luther was right about this or he wasn't.

What do you think, Mark? Is our salvation dependent upon our will to any extent? Or it is totally dependent upon God's will as Luther, Calvin, and reformed theology asserts?

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16530
09/23/06 06:18 PM
09/23/06 06:18 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Again, you mistate Luther's position as you do many other passages by Ellen White and scripture. Luther and scripture agree that the human will plays a vital role. We all need to be born again, and we cannot be born again against our wills. The Holy Spirit is always an invited guest. He can be greived away by our unbelief. We can choose to believe or to not believe. Abraham chose to believe God and it was counted to him for righteousness. Isn't that true?

Re: God's election to save vs. the human choice. #16531
09/24/06 05:43 PM
09/24/06 05:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mark, how am I misstating Luther's position? I quoted him. He stated his position. I'm not following you.

What do you think Luther's position was? Perhaps you could quote him.

Do you understand what Reformed theology believes regarding the will? The Reformed position has been quite well defined and is well known. I'm getting the impression that you're not really aware of the actual positions of people you have been discussing. Do you understand the difference between the compatible and incompatible positions? I've tried to make these clear. The two positions really are diametrically opposed to one another. I don't see how one can lump EGW's position with Luther's unless one is not aware of the respective positions. Luther was fully compatibilistic and EGW libertarian.

Let me just ask the following questions.

1.What do you think Luther's position was?
2.What do you think Calvin's position was?
3.What do you think Ellen White's position was?
4.In what way do you think Adventists have in general a wrong position regarding human free will?

Page 25 of 25 1 2 23 24 25

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!