HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,263 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: Green Cochoa] #168239
09/20/14 01:05 AM
09/20/14 01:05 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
kland,

Admittedly, the Bible never says "murder = hateful killing" in so many words. But the Bible prescribes capital punishment for murder, and then distinguishes certain classes of killing from that, which are exempt from capital punishment. It's a very small step in logic, actually.

The Bible defines a "murderer" in Exodus. Your question shows that you need to review the tables I posted above, because they should be clear.

Originally Posted By: The Bible
But if he thrust him of hatred, or hurl at him by laying of wait, that he die; Or in enmity smite him with his hand, that he die: he that smote [him] shall surely be put to death; [for] he [is] a murderer: the revenger of blood shall slay the murderer, when he meeteth him.

That defines three qualifications for "murder":

1) Killing on account of "hatred",
2) Premeditated killing (lying in wait), and
3) Killing because of "enmity" (synonymous with "hatred").

Any of those constituted "murder," and the murderer was to be put to death. But how could one put a murderer to death if all killings were "murder"? What would happen to the nation of Israel if they were commanded to kill murderers, and killers were automatically murderers themselves, so then someone else must kill the one who killed the murderer, and then someone would need to kill the "murderer" who killed the murderer's "murderer," ad infinitum? Of course, even one murder under such a circumstance would have required the death of all Israel!

Obviously, that is not the Bible's teaching. The Bible was clear that an avenger of blood or the city council and/or judges upon the testimony of at least two witnesses was required to put away evil from Israel by killing a murderer. One who had not committed murder, but had killed someone accidentally, was NOT to be killed. This, clearly, puts a difference between murder and killing. Those who did their duty strictly from a sense of duty and justice were not counted murderers, and they were not to be punished with death as were murderers.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: Green Cochoa] #168314
09/22/14 02:36 PM
09/22/14 02:36 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

Admittedly, the Bible never says "murder = hateful killing" in so many words. But the Bible prescribes capital punishment for murder, and then distinguishes certain classes of killing from that, which are exempt from capital punishment. It's a very small step in logic, actually.
Speaking of elsewhere, then it's not what the Bible says, but what Green says.

But anyway, what I hear you saying is that murder is a subset of killing:

1) Killing
2) Killing
3) Killing

Killing with hate or killing by lying in wait.

Would you agree that anyone who laid in wait to kill someone, that would be defined as murder?

If so, sounds like a possibility of distinguishing.

Quote:
Any of those constituted "murder," and the murderer was to be put to death. But how could one put a murderer to death if all killings were "murder"? What would happen to the nation of Israel if they were commanded to kill murderers, and killers were automatically murderers themselves, so then someone else must kill the one who killed the murderer, and then someone would need to kill the "murderer" who killed the murderer's "murderer," ad infinitum? Of course, even one murder under such a circumstance would have required the death of all Israel!
I take it you mean that going after revenge would not be the same as "lying in wait"?

Quote:

One who had not committed murder, but had killed someone accidentally, was NOT to be killed. This, clearly, puts a difference between murder and killing.
Sounds like you are trying to be clear. That accidentally killing is not murder, but intentional killing is?

Quote:
Those who did their duty strictly from a sense of duty and justice were not counted murderers, and they were not to be punished with death as were murderers.
But then you negate yourself, as you are prone to do.

First you say accidental killing is not murder, but then you say planned intentional killing is not murder either?

I don't know what you are saying. You probably don't either other than what you say is right, the ambiguity of the situation to be solely determined by you. But would you say that one absolute unambiguous distinction you are trying to make is that anyone who lays in wait to kill someone is a "murderer"?

Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: Green Cochoa] #168318
09/22/14 03:22 PM
09/22/14 03:22 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
kland,

Perhaps a short table will help to clarify my understanding of the Bible's perspective.

Killing vs. Murder
KillingTextMurderText
Killing "any person at unawares"Numbers 35:11Killing "with an instrument of iron"Numbers 35:16
As the "revenger of blood," killing the murderer "when he meeteth him," without hatred, lying in wait, etc.Numbers 35:19-21Killing by "throwing a stone wherewith he may die"Numbers 35:17
Killing a neighbor ignorantly, such as when the ax head slips off the handle and strikes him while cutting woodDeuteronomy 19:4-5"But if any man hate his neighbour, and lie in wait for him, and rise up against him, and smite him mortally that he die, and fleeth into one of these cities: Then the elders of his city shall send and fetch him thence, and deliver him into the hand of the avenger of blood, that he may die.Deuteronomy 19:11-12

... and those are just some of the examples of the distinction that the Bible makes between killing and murder.

Yes, murder is a subset of killing. Most people acknowledge that. Killing is broad, and can even include organisms other than humans. Murder is a specific type of killing, which the Bible defines as motivated by hatred (which can be further recognized by such things as premeditation, lying in wait, etc.).

An avenger of blood was to do his duty without hatred. It is not my understanding that he was permitted to pursue or chase the murderer to kill him. That would have been murder. He was only required to kill the murderer if he chanced to meet him. It was not his duty to seek the murderer to kill him. Doing so would have been an indication of hatred on the avenger's part, which would have made him guilty of murder himself if he killed the murderer in such a manner.

I think "fear" of dying was the major motivation for people to stay in the cities of refuge. No one would have wanted to chance upon the avenger and be killed. Of course, murderers were not permitted to stay in refuge. They were handed up to capital punishment. Only the "killers" (we would say "involuntary manslaughterers") were permitted to live in those cities--which became their jails.

Nowadays, involuntary manslaughter, or killing in self-defense, often doesn't even require prison time. It was different back then.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: Green Cochoa] #168328
09/22/14 04:10 PM
09/22/14 04:10 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
kland,

Perhaps a short table will help to clarify my understanding of the Bible's perspective.

Killing vs. Murder
KillingTextMurderText
Killing "any person at unawares"Numbers 35:11Killing "with an instrument of iron"

Hmmmm..... Like with a sword?

Quote:
Murder is a specific type of killing, which the Bible defines as motivated by hatred (which can be further recognized by such things as premeditation, lying in wait, etc.).

An avenger of blood was to do his duty without hatred. It is not my understanding that he was permitted to pursue or chase the murderer to kill him. That would have been murder. He was only required to kill the murderer if he chanced to meet him. It was not his duty to seek the murderer to kill him. Doing so would have been an indication of hatred on the avenger's part, which would have made him guilty of murder himself if he killed the murderer in such a manner.
I guess this is a case when I cannot figure out what you're saying. You seem to jump from one side to the other, negating what you just get through saying. Albeit, it does seem very supportive of showing your personal opinion, though.

Ok, let's go with this portion:
It's the avenger's duty to kill murderer, but they cannot pursue him.
He cannot lie in wait.
He was only to kill upon accidentally meeting him.
If he were to seek to kill, it would be considered murder.

Is that accurate of what you were trying to say?

Last edited by Green Cochoa; 09/23/14 02:17 PM. Reason: Enabled HTML in post
Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: Green Cochoa] #168337
09/22/14 09:39 PM
09/22/14 09:39 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Killing vs. Murder
KillingTextMurderText
Killing "any person at unawares"Numbers 35:11Killing "with an instrument of iron"Numbers 35:16
As the "revenger of blood," killing the murderer "when he meeteth him," without hatred, lying in wait, etc.Numbers 35:19-21Killing by "throwing a stone wherewith he may die"Numbers 35:17
Killing a neighbor ignorantly, such as when the ax head slips off the handle and strikes him while cutting woodDeuteronomy 19:4-5"But if any man hate his neighbour, and lie in wait for him, and rise up against him, and smite him mortally that he die, and fleeth into one of these cities: Then the elders of his city shall send and fetch him thence, and deliver him into the hand of the avenger of blood, that he may die.Deuteronomy 19:11-12

Given just that, can a reasonable person conclude that the Bible makes a distinction between different types of killing?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: Green Cochoa] #168338
09/22/14 09:51 PM
09/22/14 09:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, thank you for sharing the biblical distinction between killing and murder. I appreciate the chart. Thank you.

Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: Green Cochoa] #168351
09/23/14 01:59 PM
09/23/14 01:59 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Green, does repeating what you said in any way answer my question? Shall we conclude you mean, "yes"?

He cannot lie in wait.

Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: kland] #168353
09/23/14 02:13 PM
09/23/14 02:13 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
Green, does repeating what you said in any way answer my question? Shall we conclude you mean, "yes"?

He cannot lie in wait.

That looks like what I remember the Bible saying on the topic, yes. I'm on the road right now, and as the bus ride is bumpy, it's harder to read, so I won't say I have caught every nuance of what you are summarizing on my behalf, but I think you've got it about the way I was saying.

The Bible passages on the topic have been posted in nice tables, with my comments beside them. If you look through those again, I think you'll see that this is indeed the Bible's teaching, not merely my opinion. If you have another view, please include the texts that you find to support it. I'm open to seeing other passages to compare with what I've found and posted already.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: Green Cochoa] #168372
09/24/14 01:23 AM
09/24/14 01:23 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
What is military action by the a 21st century country, say, the United States, against a foe - killing or murder? Is there lying in wait involved? Is there the throwing of iron, perhaps as a JDAM involved? Which is it?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Biblical Distinction Between Killing and Murder [Re: APL] #168373
09/24/14 03:03 AM
09/24/14 03:03 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
What is military action by the a 21st century country, say, the United States, against a foe - killing or murder? Is there lying in wait involved? Is there the throwing of iron, perhaps as a JDAM involved? Which is it?

I guess I would ask if the war is a righteous one. As I understand the Bible, righteous wars did not constitute murder when soldiers killed in battle. Unrighteous wars (like Hitler's genocide in WWII) would be equivalent to murder. Nowadays, people recognize this same distinction. America, for example, was not guilty of "war crimes" for defeating Hitler. Hitler and his troops, on the other hand, were very much guilty of "war crimes," and some are still being tried for their murders in our modern courts of law.

I believe that God sees it much as man does on this point. God at times commanded war, even genocide, for His honor and for the purification of sin from the world. Such would have been killing, but not murder. On the other hand, when men like Hazael ripped up women with children without just cause, or when Ahab stole the field from Naboth by force of arms, or even when David ordered Uriah to the front line and then had the troops retreat from him--all these were "murder."

The "lying in wait" is not applicable when we consider wars and battle tactics. Frequently, the defenders of their own territory entrench themselves and wait for the enemies to try to enter. That would be "lying in wait," but it would be to defend one's nation from a known threat.

Remember that a man was permitted to kill a thief who broke into his home at night without incurring the guilt of murder. A man may protect his household, and a nation may protect its people. There is no "murder" in this.

I will not venture to declare that all of our modern wars have been for righteous causes. Certainly, some were not--in which case, they would be murders, aka "war crimes" or "crimes against humanity."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!