HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,180 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day? #168462
09/27/14 11:07 AM
09/27/14 11:07 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
What is the biblical reckoning of the beginning and the ending of a day?

What does the Bible have to say about this?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day? [Re: Daryl] #168467
09/27/14 03:27 PM
09/27/14 03:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Jesus was dead for "three days" from about the "ninth hour" on Friday to "very early in the morning . . . at the rising of the sun . . . when it was yet dark" ( about the first hour) on Sunday - approximately 39 hours.

The Jews divided a day from sunrise to sunset into 12 equal parts regardless of how many actual minutes there are on any given day of the year. Thus, an "hour" of Jewish time varies every day. "For example, on a day when the sun rises at 5 a.m. and sets at 7:30 p.m., one sha'ah zemanit, or proportional hour, will be 72.5 minutes long." Jewish Hour

The time of year Jesus died, Easter, sunrise and sunset were close to 6am and 6pm. Days and nights were almost equal. 12 hours each. Thus, Jesus died at approximately 3pm on Friday and rose at 6am on Sunday - about 39 hours or "three days".

Re: What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day? [Re: Daryl] #168469
09/27/14 03:36 PM
09/27/14 03:36 PM
J
Josh M  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018
Colorado, USA
The wording of Genesis 1:5 is interesting-

"And God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." (KJV)

Evening is listed before morning here and in the following days. The original Hebrew text appears to be in this order as well. Young's Literal Translation says-

"and God calleth to the light 'Day,' and to the darkness He hath called 'Night;' and there is an evening, and there is a morning -- day one." (YLT)

The English Revised Version is similar-

"And God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day." (ERV)

The Pulpit commentary notes an interesting connection with Daniel 8:14, which in the KJV says "Unto two thousand and three hundred days" but in many other translations, such as the ERV, say "Unto two thousand and three hundred evenings and mornings".

Also, chapter 16 on page 119 of Testimonies, vol 1, is interesting (italics in original)-

Originally Posted By: EGW
I saw that it is even so: “From even unto even, shall ye celebrate your Sabbath.” Said the angel: “Take the word of God, read it, understand, and ye cannot err. Read carefully, and ye shall there find what even is, and when it is.” I asked the angel if the frown of God had been upon His people for commencing the Sabbath as they had. I was directed back to the first rise of the Sabbath, and followed the people of God up to this time, but did not see that the Lord was displeased, or frowned upon them. I inquired why it had been thus, that at this late day we must change the time of commencing the Sabbath. Said the angel: “Ye shall understand, but not yet, not yet.” Said the angel: “If light come, and that light is set aside or rejected, then comes condemnation and the frown of God; but before the light comes, there is no sin, for there is no light for them to reject.” I saw that it was in the minds of some that the Lord had shown that the Sabbath commenced at six o’clock, when I had only seen that it commenced at “even,” and it was inferred that even was at six. I saw that the servants of God must draw together, press together.

As we now know, Sabbath begins at sundown, but what does the angel mean, “Ye shall understand, but not yet, not yet.”? What is "even" that it's treated as some mystery?

Last edited by Josh M; 09/27/14 03:45 PM.
Re: What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day? [Re: Daryl] #168476
09/27/14 04:50 PM
09/27/14 04:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Did Ellen White ever find out why it is important to commence the Sabbath at sundown?

Re: What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day? [Re: Daryl] #168477
09/27/14 06:19 PM
09/27/14 06:19 PM
J
Josh M  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018
Colorado, USA
This, from EGW and Her Critics, seems to explain it.

I think the issue was that it is for everyone to investigate the Bible and they had not thoroughly done so. I think the thing to understand was a lesson that they needed to search more carefully.

Here's a few excerpts-

From James White-
Quote:
“Mrs. W. has in two visions been shown something in regard to the time of the commencement of the Sabbath. The first was as early as 1847, at Topsham, Me. In that vision she was shown that to commence the Sabbath at sunrise was wrong. She then heard an angel repeat these words, ‘From even unto even shall ye celebrate your Sabbaths.’ Bro. Bates was present, and succeeded in satisfying all present that ‘even’ was six o'clock. Mark this: The vision at Topsham did not teach the six o'clock time. It only corrected sunrise time.”—Ibid.
From Brother Andrews-
Quote:
“The result of the investigation is the firm conviction that the commencement and close of each day is marked by the setting of the sun. It will be asked why this conclusion was not earlier arrived at? The answer is this: the subject has not been hitherto thoroughly investigated.”
From James again-
Quote:
...It does not appear to be the desire of the Lord to teach his people by the gifts of the Spirit on the Bible questions until his servants have diligently searched his word...
From the book's author-
Quote:
The critic notes the angel's words, as quoted by Mrs. White: “Ye shall understand, but not yet, not yet.” He asserts that the promised explanation has never been given. Hence he volunteers to do so. And he justifies his bold volunteering on the ground that “sixty years” had passed by and no explanation had yet been given.

In doing this, he overlooked two points: (1) The angel did not say that he would explain the matter later, but simply that they, the Sabbathkeeping Adventist group, would understand later. (2) James White, in his statement which discusses the question of why the sunset time had not been revealed to Mrs. White at the outset, shows clearly that he and those who accepted his view of the matter had acquired a clear understanding of it at least as early as 1868.

A true understanding of the function of the gift of prophecy in the Advent movement came slowly. It certainly had not fully come in 1847, when she had her first vision on the matter of the time for beginning the Sabbath, nor in 1855, when she had her vision in Battle Creek confirming the sunset time. But certainly a sufficient understanding had come by 1868 to provide a fulfillment of the angel's words to Mrs. White. The critic's explanation is very belated.

Re: What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day? [Re: Daryl] #168478
09/27/14 10:04 PM
09/27/14 10:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you. Interesting. I thought maybe it had something to do with the eventual enforcement of the mark of the beast.

Re: What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day? [Re: Daryl] #168487
09/28/14 06:07 AM
09/28/14 06:07 AM
J
Josh M  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018
Colorado, USA
I remembered reading in Great Controversy on page 566- "An edict from the king of Scotland declared that Saturday from twelve at noon ought to be accounted holy, and that no man, from that time till Monday morning, should engage in worldly business."

Looking it up, there's actually some people arguing that from noon onwards is "evening" because the sun is in a downward progression at that point.

In fact, Exodus 12:6 in the KJV says "And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening." In some other translations instead of "evening" they say "between the evenings" (YLT).

Pulpit commentary on that verse says "In the evening. Literally, "between the two evenings." This phrase has been explained in two ways. Some regard the first evening as commencing when the sun begins visibly to decline from the zenith, i.e. about two or three o'clock; and the second as following the sunset. Others say, that the sunset introduces the first evening, and that the second begins when the twilight ends, which they consider to have been "an hour and twenty minutes later" (Ebn Ezra, quoted by Kalisch)..." and goes on to endorse the second explanation.

Gill's commentary, Jamieson-Fausset-Brown, Barnes, and others endorse the first explanation.

Re: What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day? [Re: Daryl] #168490
09/28/14 12:30 PM
09/28/14 12:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I met some Adventists in NY who aggressively believe Sabbath begins Saturday morning.

Re: What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day? [Re: Daryl] #168541
09/30/14 03:59 PM
09/30/14 03:59 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
I forget there is nothing new under the sun. I had thought this was a new thing invading.

MM, by any chance did those you meet happen to be also keeping the convenient aspects of the Jewish feast days?

Re: What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day? [Re: Daryl] #168551
10/01/14 05:43 AM
10/01/14 05:43 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Daryl
What is the biblical reckoning of the beginning and the ending of a day?

What does the Bible have to say about this?

In the first chapter of Genesis the day is defined as evening and morning.

A few texts in proof of sunset time.

Gen. 1:5, 8, 13, 19, 23, 31; "And the evening and the morning were the ___ day."

Lev. 23:32 " a sabbath of rest... from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath."

Joshua 8:29;
10:26, 27; Gives hints that the day ended at evening.

Eze. 46:1, 2; "The gate of the inner court that looks toward the east shall be shut the six working days; but on the sabbath it shall be opened...the gate shall not be shut until the evening."

Luke 23:54, 56; "And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on....they laid Him in the sepulchre...and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment."
24:1 "Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning,

If the Sabbath would be from daylight to daylight, then the disciples went to the tomb on the seventh day, instead of the first day, for according to John's testimony (See John 20:1) they came when it was yet dark. But John, with all the rest, claims that they came on the first day.

Mark 1:29 "they were come out of the synagogue,...1:32 And at even, when the sun did set, they brought unto him all that were diseased, and them that were possessed with devils."

Neh. 13:19 " And it came to pass, that when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the sabbath, I commanded that the gates should be shut, and charged that they should not be opened till after the sabbath: and [some] of my servants set I at the gates, [that] there should no burden be brought in on the sabbath day."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!