HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,601
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Currency of 1888 #172442
03/15/15 08:29 PM
03/15/15 08:29 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I have a couple of thoughts on the 1888 message that I want to share with the forum. The first is that I've been listening to the sermon series by A. T. Jones given at the 1895 General Conference called The Third Angel's Message. The first several lectures contain accounts of the religious and political movements at that time that were creating an image to the beast. It impressed me that these accounts are timely and instructive for us today because before long we are going to see a repeat of the same history. Jones encouraged and instructed the church on how to respond. He also made a close application to the church of what it means to come out of Babylon showing that this separation is essentially spiritual separation from the world and he expressed his concern that many Sabbath keepers did not see the necessity of making this spiritual break with the world, with sin.

A few weeks ago on Advindicate there was a good article on the 1888 message but it was presented with the same perspective that most conservative writers treat it – ie., that there is a deep but hidden meaning in the message that we have never understood or experienced. Below the article in the comments section I state that the message itself is easily understood. The problem is that it has never been experienced on a large scale individually and never corporately. Too many of us – by far the majority – cling to sin. We love it. And besides our love for sin, spiritual laziness is the other major factor. We don't exert ourselves as we ought to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling. We lack ardent fervor and devotion to the Lord.

But as I continued listening to Jones the painful truth came home to me personally when Jones went on to say that character is a gift. I had been saying “Amen!” to this “most precious” message but when he said THAT it was a bit hard for me to swallow. I thought, aren't my patience, kindness, forbearance etc, that I've nurtured and cultivated all these years with blood, sweat and tears - can't I take an ounce of credit for them. Jone's answer: “No sir!” The robe, woven in the loom of heaven, doesn't have a thread of human devising or merit in it. Then the light went on. I'm spiritually proud; foolishly proud. I turned to Revelation 5 and saw the redeemed casting their crowns of victory at the foot of the Lamb and said “Yes! it is true!” ALL victory and deliverance from the enslavement of sin is Divine. There's not an ounce of human merit in my redemption. Now, I've know that in theory for years, but it came home to me personally and it made me glad and relieved.

Re: The Currency of 1888 [Re: Charity] #172444
03/15/15 08:39 PM
03/15/15 08:39 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Now I want to share something that I never notice before about 1888 and that as far as I know, no-one else has noticed. We know that the Investigative Judgment began on the Day of Atonement on October 22, 1844. In 1888 the Day of Atonement was October 16* which was the day before the first day of the Minneapolis General Conference and the final day of the Ministerial Institute. This Institute which lasted 7 days immediately preceded the General Conference and it was intended to be a time of study, instruction and unity building for the General Conference itself. That this exact alignment of the 1888 General Conference with the Day of Atonement was more than a coincidence, that God was in earnest with His church was confirmed in a number of ways but I want to focus on one little known fact here.

In a vision given just weeks before, in the summer of 1888, Ellen White was shown that the time had come for the measurement of the church. She recounted:

Quote:
I have been awake night after night with a sense of agony for the people of God, that the sweat would roll off from me. Some things fearfully impressive were presented to me. I was in an assembly when a man of noble majestic stature came in and took his position on the platform and unrolled [something] which looked like several long leaves fastened together. And as he turned the pages his hand ran down the page and his eyes swept over the congregation. As he turned them from right to left I could see what was on them. I saw there different names and characters and sins that were written down. There were sins of every description-- selfishness, envy, pride, jealousy, evil-surmising, hypocrisy and licentiousness, hatred and murder in the heart, because of this envy and jealousy. These sins were right among the ministers and people. Page after page was turned.

Well, how was this? And a voice said [that] the time had come when the work in heaven is all activity for the inhabitants of this world. The time had come when the temple and its worshipers had to be measured. These were worshipers that were consecrated. Then there were other names that were to be blotted out of the book of life. They had had light and knowledge, and precept upon precept, and appeal upon appeal, but they had never had the transforming grace of Christ in their hearts. They had never had a living connection with Jesus Christ, therefore the light that would come to them through His word they did not bring into their lives and character.

This is what I saw, and I woke up and found myself sitting up in bed with great drops of perspiration on my brow. I felt paralyzed. After this some things happened which caused me great sadness, and it was there I sunk under the burden. I do not care for myself; I would as leave lay down my life now as at any future time, but I believe that God will spare me just as long as He has a work for me to do. The worst thing--the most grievous--is the want of love and the want of compassion one for another. That is what God presented in such a light before me, and I wanted to say to you that if ever there was time when we should humble ourselves before God, it is now. Ellen White, 1 Sermons And and Talks, pages 55-56.

At the Minneapolis Conference itself a few weeks later she would make the application:

Quote:
Christ is here this morning; angels are here, and they are measuring the temple of God and those who worship therein. The history of this meeting will be carried up to God; for a record of every meeting is made; the spirit manifested, the words spoken, and the actions performed, are noted in the books of heaven. Everything is transferred to the records as faithfully as are our features to the polished plate of the artist. Ellen White, October 19, 1888 from 1888 Materials, p. 120.

Ellen White spoke of “measuring the temple of God, and those who worship therein.” She used terminology from Revelation 11 and Ezekiel 40-48, as well as the very words spoken to her in the dream she had had a few weeks earlier. Not only were individuals being measured, the Church was corporately being measured. We must ask ourselves what is the significance of that to us, to me, today?

Just this: That the experience of 1888 will be repeated in us individually and in the church. But this next time when it is repeated, so far as the corporate measurement is concerned, God may not relent in the measurement process either in His justice or in His mercy. However that may be we can take comfort in the fact that the corporate gifts and promises of God are irrevocable for the church. He will be with the church to the very end.

But again, we also need to brace ourselves for the eventuality that the time will indeed come, and it could well be sooner than we think, when the ax is laid at the root and everything that can be shaken will be. We know that this shaking is underway now and has been for some time. But I have a premonition, based on Scripture which I can't go into here, that we could see this shaking under divine providence rise to a new level corporately as early as the end of this week and if not then in the brief weeks and months ahead. I put it this way to a friend of mine:

Quote:
The signs and the scriptures seem to converge on 2015/16 as a year that will witness great prophetic fulfillments. . . . I won't be surprised if we see the drama start to unfold in less than two weeks from now (now less than one week) at the new moon (that is, the first day of the Hebrew new year**), but if the Lord continues to hold back the winds, I'll be looking to the fall. And if nothing occurs then I'll be surprised but still praise the Lord that in mercy He continues to spare us the final birth pangs so that none of us who are unprepared are lost.

*The modern Jews are not always correct in their calculation of the feast days. For example, we know that in 1844 they were off by one month. The same is true of 1888: In that year the Jews put the Day of Atonement at September 16. It actually occurred on October 16.

**This year, 2015, the Jews are accurate and correct in their selection of the starting day for the biblical new year, March 21. This year I believe could mark the start of the end-time scenario that Adventists have long known is coming. Keep looking up friends, our redemption draws nigh.

Re: The Currency of 1888 [Re: Charity] #172445
03/16/15 04:55 AM
03/16/15 04:55 AM
G
Godsloveandlaw  Offline
SDA
Supporting Member 2015
Active Member 2015

Coachella Valley, Cailf.
Well, sorry to say my brother but SOP disagrees with this understanding that "you" have nothing to do with being upright and taking care of the business of overcoming. Here it is--

"Not one of us will ever receive the seal of God while our characters have one spot or stain upon them. It is left with us to remedy the defects in our characters, to cleanse the soul temple of every defilement."(Testimonies, vol.5, p.214)

Now we should understand this to mean that "we" have great responsibility to overcome, but, we must also realize that our own human weakness must call upon the greater power (The Holy Spirit of God) to help us in this overcoming.

There is a fine balance here. kind of like a handshake, a 50/50 proposition. We decide to stop sinning, to turn from a bad habit and ask the Lord for help and power to stay the course and we get it, as long as we believe it and trust it. So in reality a beautiful co-partnership occurs.

Re: The Currency of 1888 [Re: Charity] #172448
03/16/15 11:59 AM
03/16/15 11:59 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I agree fully that we have a part! But we can't take any of the credit. All our works are wrought of God.

Quote:
Isa 26:12 LORD, thou wilt ordain peace for us: for thou also hast wrought all our works in us.

Praise the Lord for this.

Re: The Currency of 1888 [Re: Charity] #172449
03/16/15 12:04 PM
03/16/15 12:04 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Also, repentance is a gift. The desire to stop sinning comes from God, the power to do it come from him, everyting comes from him. Our part is to yield and believe. And even here we have to be careful to understand that there is no merit in our faith. The merit is all from above: We exercise faith in HIS merit.

Re: The Currency of 1888 [Re: Charity] #172451
03/16/15 04:00 PM
03/16/15 04:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The fruit of abiding in Jesus is the fruit of the Spirit - "pure and holy and undefiled". Nevertheless, it requires the atoning blood and righteousness of Jesus to ascend to the Father acceptable and pleasing. His merit makes it meritorious.

Re: The Currency of 1888 [Re: Charity] #172460
03/18/15 02:01 AM
03/18/15 02:01 AM
G
Godsloveandlaw  Offline
SDA
Supporting Member 2015
Active Member 2015

Coachella Valley, Cailf.
Mark- I agree fully that we have a part! But we can't take any of the credit. All our works are wrought of God.

Oh yes, that is a for sure.

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." (EPH. 2:8-9)

Out Lord's wisdom surely warns us of a self confidence in "our works". But nevertheless, as EGW said--"it is left with us to remedy the defects in our characters, to cleanse the soul temple of every defilement."

Re: The Currency of 1888 [Re: Charity] #172466
03/18/15 11:31 AM
03/18/15 11:31 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
By the way, in my second post where I say the Lord may shake things at a new level starting March 21, this is the beginning of His letting go of the winds pictured in Rev 7. We'll know in a few days if my understanding is right. The thing to watch for as the first sign is a shaking, possibly spiritual but likely literal as well - a widespread seismic event.

Re: The Currency of 1888 [Re: Charity] #172471
03/18/15 05:18 PM
03/18/15 05:18 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
*The modern Jews are not always correct in their calculation of the feast days. For example, we know that in 1844 they were off by one month. The same is true of 1888: In that year the Jews put the Day of Atonement at September 16. It actually occurred on October 16.

**This year, 2015, the Jews are accurate and correct in their selection of the starting day for the biblical new year, March 21. This year I believe could mark the start of the end-time scenario that Adventists have long known is coming. Keep looking up friends, our redemption draws nigh.
So sometimes they are correct and sometimes they are not. How do you know, what are you comparing to? I've seen some say it's March 22 this year. Why is it March and not April? What is the basis for comparison and verification?

Re: The Currency of 1888 [Re: Charity] #172475
03/19/15 11:31 AM
03/19/15 11:31 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
In 1844, Adventists relied on the reckoning of the Karaite Jews, a small sect that used the ripeness of the barley to determine the start of the new year. The Karaites put the Day of Atonement at October 22 while the main body of the Jews put it at September 23. The pioneers rejected the modern Jewish reckoning because they were not comfortable with the modern Jew's rules of interpretation of scripture. They felt the Karaites had a better understanding.

I've found though that while the date is good, the ancient secular (the DSS, and ancient historians) and inspired sources use the spring equinox to mark the new year. We'd expect that any scriptural rule for starting the new year would agree with the dates that the Holy Spirit has confirm - a 31 AD Passover, Oct 22, 1844. Using this rule - the first visible new moon* immediately after the spring equinox - does that.

There is no direct statement in scripture that gives this rule. But the rule is inferred. It is consistent with the text and harmonizes with the scripture's calendrical data and statements. And it agrees with other ancient sources. This Sabbath, March 21 will be a good test to see if my understanding is correct.

*By visible new moon I mean calculated visible new moon. Anciently and by inspiration the visible new moons were calculated because the skies aren't always clear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 04/29/24 09:07 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!