HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,601
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lesson 4: KEEPING THE SABBATH HOLY! #17251
07/23/01 02:33 AM
07/23/01 02:33 AM
M
mouse  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
If I asked you to describe a specific man or woman, would you do it by saying what that person is not? "She is not short, not fat, not blond, not beautiful, not dark and not big boned." Would that description help? Wouldn't you rather have a positive description? One of the problems with describing how to keep the Sabbath holy is that the Bible contains several statements (that we often repeat and expand upon)about what we should NOT be doing on that day. This week we will attempt to positively describe the Sabbath.
Let's jump in.

Sunday: Physical Preparation For The Sabbath!

I. Work

A. Read Exodus 20:8-11. This text tells us what we should not do on the Sabbath - work. But it also directly and indirectly tells us some positive things. What are they?

Let's list them.

1. "Remember the Sabbath." What does that suggest we do?
It tells us that we should mentally set the Sabbath time apart from other time.

2. "Keep the Sabbath holy." What does that mean?
It is not described here except in the context of not working (or having any of our family or household work) because God rested from His work of creation.

a. What positive message can you find about Sabbath holiness in this idea of resting because God rested from His work of creation?
This suggests that we should do things that remind us of God as the Creator.

b. What positive idea comes from the fact that no one in your household should be working -- even your animals?
This seems to be a complete shut down of normal household activities. The tone of the day is obviously much different than other days.

As the Lesson Guide teaches us, list a few things that we can do that will enable us to be better prepared for Sabbath rest.

c. Read Leviticus 25:4-7. In addition to your animals, what else gets a Sabbath rest?
Your land!

(1) How does this make any sense?
In fact, the idea of rotating crops giving the land a rest from a certain crop is an established agricultural practice.

(2) If the ground can be shown to grow better crops if it gets a Sabbath rest, what about you? Do you work more efficiently if you have a Sabbath rest each week?

(3) Notice that the owner of the land could not "reap" the land, but could eat whatever grew on it and give it to the members of his household. Is there a Sabbath practice lesson in this?
This infers that commercial activities are inconsistent with the Sabbath, but activities to benefit the family are consistent with the Sabbath. (Note, however, they would not be picking what grew on the weekly Sabbath - see Exodus 16:26.

B. Read Exodus 34:21. Are there practical exceptions to keeping the Sabbath?
We will discuss later how Jesus kept the Sabbath and look at what the Pharisees thought were "exceptions" to Sabbath keeping. This text suggests that even if we have a lot of work which needs to be done, we are not authorized to work on Sabbath. The positive aspects of refraining from work continue even when we have lots to do!

C. Do these texts in Exodus mean that all work is prohibited on the Sabbath?

1. Read Matthew 12:5. What does Jesus mean when He says, "the priests in the temple desecrate the [Sabbath] yet are innocent?"
The worship service was work, yet it was a permitted (required) work on the Sabbath.

Laurie will be back tomorrow

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson 4: KEEPING THE SABBATH HOLY! #17252
07/23/01 05:47 AM
07/23/01 05:47 AM
M
Mogens H. Sorensen  Offline
Posting New Member
Fredericton, NB, Canada
The reason for stating the commandments in "Nots" is to give more options. I will illustrate. If there are ten exits from a building and I tell you, you cannot use one specific one that still gives you nine other options.

As I read the lesson through for the week I thought about the above point in relationship to the relative silence of the Bible on Sabbath keeping. (When you think of the details of the Sanctuary service or of some Bible prophecies then in comparison with the subject of Sabbath keeping there is, I think, a relative silence.) However, if God had specified in exact detail how to keep the Sabbath He would have left us with no other options. Sabbath keeping would have become an exact rote activity ("same old, same old" as the expression goes). However, God created us as free moral agents (God loves freedom, Satan hates it). He gave us the ability to think and choose and He leaves us with that element of freedom of choice in regards to Sabbath keeping. This leaves us with the freedom of expressing our love and adoration for Him in our own particular way and from our own personal relationship with Him (leading us possibly to doing good for others on the Sabbath). Not only that, we can express that personal love in many ways and be involved in a gazillion Sabbath activities (Don't forget to rest though). The Sabbath never needs to be boring. However, I think it would have become so if God had given us, for example, the exact thirty activities that are permissible for Sabbath keeping (How can you restrict the expression of love to God and love to your fellow man in thirty activities?). By the way you will find part of this list in Hezakiah 9:5-8.

Yours in the Blessed Hope,
MHS

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson 4: KEEPING THE SABBATH HOLY! #17253
07/23/01 12:44 PM
07/23/01 12:44 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Sunday's study is actually about physical preparation for the Sabbath.

What does it mean to physically prepare for the Sabbath?
Does it mean to frantically run to and fro a half an hour before sunset on Friday to get the last minute grocery items, to put gas in your car so you can drive to church, to do a last minute wash, to clean the floor, to wash the car, etc??? In other words, are we to leave everything until Friday so we can have a frantic Preparation Day???

Daryl

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited July 23, 2001).]

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson 4: KEEPING THE SABBATH HOLY! #17254
07/24/01 09:23 AM
07/24/01 09:23 AM
Laurie Mosher  Offline
Charter Member
Died May 20, 2020

Canada

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson 4: KEEPING THE SABBATH HOLY! #17255
07/25/01 12:27 AM
07/25/01 12:27 AM
Laurie Mosher  Offline
Charter Member
Died May 20, 2020

Canada
Helping Karen out abit!

Attending Church

Is attending church on Sabbath an important, positive activity? (Remember the last two weeks we have learned the Sabbath is a memorial to God as our Creator and our
Redeemer.
What more appropriate activity could we engage in than worshiping Him on His "memorial day?" If there is any doubt, the following texts show that both Jesus and His
disciples attended "church" on the Sabbath. Acts 13:14, Mark 6:2, Luke 4:16&31, Luke 6:6)

Good relationshipsare important, aren't they? And I believe it is our duty to try and work together with fellow Christians as much as possible (without compromising our beliefs).

So let's utilize the Sabbath day, the day God gave us, so that it won't be just like any other day.

Keep "the" faith, but pass it around!
Laurie

[This message has been edited by Laurie Mosher (edited July 24, 2001).]

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson 4: KEEPING THE SABBATH HOLY! #17256
07/25/01 09:35 AM
07/25/01 09:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good Morning all!
Wed: The sabbath - A DELIGHT-Pt I
Isaiah 58:13..one of my favorite texts. A most interesing characteristic, is that this verse is the only one in the whole Bible, where God calls the sabbath "My holy day". Yes, there are others where the sabbath is made for man, Jesus is Lord of the sabbath...Matt.12:8;Mark 2:28; Luke 6;5.

As the lesson explains, if the Sabbath is "a delight", shouldn't we agree with that, and honor God?

What are your thoughts, and how is the Sabbath a delight to you?

------------------
Isaiah 8:16 "Bind up the testimony: Seal the law among My disciples!"
Sealed

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson 4: KEEPING THE SABBATH HOLY! #17257
07/25/01 12:32 PM
07/25/01 12:32 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
"If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath,
from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight" (Isa. 58:13).

How about somebody answering the following question first:
What is the difference between pleasure and delight in the above reference?

Daryl

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson 4: KEEPING THE SABBATH HOLY! #17258
07/25/01 08:38 PM
07/25/01 08:38 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
quote:
Originally posted by Karen:
b. What positive idea comes from the fact that no one in your household should be working -- even your animals?

Thanks, Karen. You've given me an idea of how to address a problem in my church when I teach the lesson this Sabbath. We have a family whose daughters show horses. They weren't in church last Sabbath, because they were at the fair showing them, just as they did last year. Isn't that making the animals work (to say nothing to the humans)?

------------------
For I know that my redeemer liveth,
and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.

Linda

[This message has been edited by Linda Sutton (edited July 25, 2001).]

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson 4: KEEPING THE SABBATH HOLY! #17259
07/26/01 03:10 AM
07/26/01 03:10 AM
Laurie Mosher  Offline
Charter Member
Died May 20, 2020

Canada
Hi Daryl;
Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary!
re:Isaiah 58:13
#13,14 The sabbath is a sign between God and his professing people; his appointing it is a sign of his favour to them; and their observing it is a sign of their obedience to him. We must turn from travelling on that day; from doing our pleasure on that holy day, without the control and restraint of conscience; or from indulging in the pleasures of sense. On sabbath days we must not follow our callings, or our pleasures. In all we say and do, we must put a difference between this day and other days. Even in Old Testament times the sabbath was called the Lord's day, and is fitly called so still; and for a further reason, it is the Lord Christ's day, #Re 1:10|. If we thus remember the sabbath day to keep it holy, we shall have the comfort and profit of it, and have reason to say, It is good to draw near to God.

------------------
"He who fails to learn from history is doomed to repeat it!"
Bro. Laurie

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson 4: KEEPING THE SABBATH HOLY! #17260
07/26/01 05:37 AM
07/26/01 05:37 AM
M
Mogens H. Sorensen  Offline
Posting New Member
Fredericton, NB, Canada
I think Daryl's question is quite valid. What is the difference between pleasure and delight? Apparently we should not be involved in "your own pleasure" however, our Sabbath experience should be a "delight". If we can't do those things that give us pleasure would that leave us with what is non-pleasurable and that is to be a delight? Is that what the text is saying?

Mogens

Reply Quote
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 04/29/24 09:07 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!