HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, Kevin H), 3,310 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17337
01/29/05 06:13 AM
01/29/05 06:13 AM
Larry Kirkpatrick  Offline
Pastor
Veteran Member
Highland, CA, USA
That ("no one can understand what the Bible means, unless they first have a grasp of the Hebrew language") is not at all what I am saying. Entirely apart from Hebrew, how do you delimit "with" in this place the way you do? You see, you are throwing an assertion and insisting that we must embrace it. It doesn't work that way. You don't have to know Hebrew or any other language to check the texts I've given in chapter nine.

As for the inspiration of the Spirit of Prophecy, I too have, after careful investigation, a wholehearted confidence in it. We have Hebrew inspired writings, Greek inspired writings, and English inspired writings. Nor have I found them to conflict. I am continually amazed to see how Mrs. White, with no knowledge of the biblical languages, is so consistently in harmony with them. Coincidence? After a lifetime's barrel full of writing?

Then there is Genesis 3:12. Same preposition, same deal. Adam mentions the woman which God gave to be "with me." This is just the Hebrew preposition "im" (third masculine singular) again--same as in 3:6 (but that was "im" as third feminine singular). In any case, even if this were some oblivious duel between supposed scholarship and assertion, at least you can check scholarship. Assertion brooks no checking. If that were the choice, I would prefer scholarship.

In any case, I can see there is no interest in my adding more, so I will leave it at that. The choice between skepticism and faith comes to each of us. Shalom.

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17338
01/29/05 01:21 PM
01/29/05 01:21 PM
M
myarsman  Offline
North Carolina
Mike,

I suppose that we must again agree to disagree. BTW, I do not accept the writings of Paul as 100% inspired. He made some statements that can only be taken as personal opininion/perspective(i.e. "women should be silent in church...etc.) But that is a whole new topic, isn't it.

Pastor Larry,

I can round up a hundred different scholars and get as many different interpretations of Genesis 3:6. What does that tell you.

Keep in mind.....we have one Bible, but look at how many "different" religions have interpreted the Bible(and most of these religions have their own "scholars")so that now we have well over 1000 religions that have "gleaned" their own unique "Truths" from the Bible.

IMO, scholarship is not what it is all "cracked up to be". In fact, it appears to have created an atmosphere of "confusion" in regards to understanding the Bible.

Question: Which of the plethora of scholars has correctly interpreted Scripture?

Anyway, I feel fairly confident with my, as you call it, "assertion" that Adam was with Eve when she ate of the fruit. The Bible clearly says it and that settles it for me.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17339
01/29/05 03:10 PM
01/29/05 03:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Bob, I truly do feel sorry for you. I'm sorry to say so, but I really do feel sorry for anyone who reads the writings of Paul or Ellen White, or any other inspired author, and chooses to distrust them. I'm surprised you place so much confidence in the KJV translation of the Bible, or any Bible at all. How can you be so certain the translators translated it properly? What makes you think the word "with" in Genesis 3:6 was the word Moses used?

For that matter, how do you know Moses told the truth? You see, somewhere along the way you have to place trust and confidence in the various people who made the Bible available to us, beginning with the original authors and ending with the translators. But if you set yourself up as the final authority of what and who is right and wrong, then your faith and religion is built upon an erring, fallible, uninspired creature - Self. Thanx, but no thanx.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17340
01/30/05 04:24 AM
01/30/05 04:24 AM
Larry Kirkpatrick  Offline
Pastor
Veteran Member
Highland, CA, USA
I have not come here extolling any kind of infallibility in scholarship. But no matter what one thinks of scholarship one way or the other, a simple Hebrew preposition is a simple Hebrew preposition.

For the record, I also find the writings of Paul included in the Greek Scriptures to be inspired and infallible. You see, you and I myarsman are not even on the same page. So yes, we must agree to disagree.

I am a Seventh-day Adventist Christian. I accept the whole Bible as inspired and infallible, and wish to shape my life by what God has revealed through it.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17341
01/29/05 05:19 PM
01/29/05 05:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Myarsman, not everyone here takes the SOP as inspired, although I do take Paul as such.

Larry, as myarsman put it, "Nice try." You are alone in your assertion that the "with" refers to a relational aspect rather than a spatial one. No commentaries support this point of view, including Calvin, Wesley, Henry, Clark, Geneva, or SDA. In fact, Thomas Constable has this to say about it:
"It is interesting to observe that when this sin is referred to throughout Scripture, it is not referred to as the sin of Eve–but rather as the sin of Adam! The phrase in verse 6, ‘with her,' seems to suggest that Adam was at Eve's side when she was tempted by Satan."

Also, after asserting "That ("no one can understand what the Bible means, unless they first have a grasp of the Hebrew language") is not at all what I am saying." you go on to wax eloquent on fine points of Hebrew such as "This is just the Hebrew preposition "im" (third masculine singular) again–bla, bla, bla..." You can't have it both ways; either you have to know the original languages or you don't. Personally, I like to know as much about the original as possible, unencumbered with so-called "new light". Not everything that disagrees with you is skepticism.

By the way, I am not a Seventh-day Adventist Christian. I am a Christian who chooses to fellowship with Seventh-day Adventists.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17342
01/29/05 05:31 PM
01/29/05 05:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

By the way, Thomas Constable's Commentary may be found at this link:

http://www.soniclight.com/constable/notes.htm

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17343
01/29/05 05:58 PM
01/29/05 05:58 PM
M
myarsman  Offline
North Carolina
Mike,

Thank you for your concern, but your sympathy is sorely misplaced. I never said that I distrusted the writings of Paul, Moses or any other author of spiritual content.

I said that there are parts of their writings that I cannot not accept as "spiritually inspired".

How is that possible you may ask?

Well, I have learned to depend upon the Holy Spirit for guidance as I read the writings of these authors. The Holy Spirit instructs me as to what is "Spiritual Truth" and what is "personal perspective".

It is a great advantage to have the guidance of the Holy Spirit in this regard......as I am certain you can attest to.

Thru the 40+ years that I have lived on this earth I have witnessed numerous ruinations that have taken place as a result of people putting their faith in some scholar or prophet or messenger who have claimed to have the Truth from God. I have watched as the people have chosen to follow these individuals to their doom.

I do not what that kind of experience, so I have chosen to go directly to the "Source of Truth" in order to gain understanding of Truth.

It has made all the difference in the world.

So as I have said before.....Adam was with Eve when she ate of the fruit....The Bible is very clear on this point.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17344
01/29/05 06:51 PM
01/29/05 06:51 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Bob D,

So you distinctly say that you know the voice of the Holy Spirit.

I distinctly believe that EGW knew the voice of the Holy Spirit who spoke to her very clearly and in ways that very few others experience.

If I were to choose between you and her in relation to the voice of the Holy Spirit, I would have to choose her over you, but then that is another topic.

To keep this on topic, I will end this post by saying that I take what the Holy Spirit told EGW in relation to the fact that Adam was not with Eve over what you say the Holy Spirit told you. The last EGW quotes I posted clearly stated that EGW was shown, that EGW saw. She was shown this and saw this in vision straight from the Holy Spirit.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17345
01/29/05 07:33 PM
01/29/05 07:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

IMO, there is an unfortunate tendency in Adventism to use EGW as the definitive answer to all questions. This has the regretable spin-off of stifling meaningful discussion, intellectual dialoge and Spritual growth. (Not to mention resorting to tactics such as the gag order imposed earlier.)

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17346
01/29/05 09:09 PM
01/29/05 09:09 PM
M
myarsman  Offline
North Carolina
Daryl,

You seemed to have missed the point that I was attempting to make.

Yes, I do rely upon the direct influence of the Holy Spirit in order to understand the Truth in regards to this current topic of discussion.

Don't you?

Reply Quote
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!