HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, Kevin H), 3,316 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17377
03/14/06 11:01 PM
03/14/06 11:01 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
That may be true of Henry's commentary re probable, however, Ellen White said it under the inspiration of the same Person who inspired the Bible writers.

I also don't get stuck on one Bible verse where it refers to her husband with her, but I look at the whole story of the Fall.

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17378
03/14/06 11:04 PM
03/14/06 11:04 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
How does the entire story of the Fall place her away from her husband?

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17379
03/15/06 01:31 AM
03/15/06 01:31 AM
J
Jeff  Offline
Supporting Member 2007
Mississippi, USA

Quote: posted by Darius
How does the entire story of the Fall place her away from her husband?

Darius, I think what Daryl is saying is that the entire story presented throughout the Bible makes Lucy have more splainin’ to do if Adam was present with Eve and the serpent. I think MM explained it pretty well earlier.

Quote: posted by MM
Once again, the Bible says Adam was with Eve in the Garden, but it doesn't say they were together when Satan deceived Eve. Paul makes it clear Adam was not deceived, therefore, it is obvious to me that Adam was not present when Eve ate the fruit. Since he wasn't deceived he obviously ate the fruit intending to share her fate. It makes perfect sense to me. But I realize it doesn't make sense to everybody. Oh well.

One verse makes it seem like they were together. However, that interpretation doesn’t work all that well with other scripture. Because it really is more ambiguous as to exactly when “with her” was than you admit, it’s not as cut and dried as you make it out to be.

Jeff
Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17380
03/15/06 02:02 AM
03/15/06 02:02 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
When I read the part where God questions both Adam and Eve, and their individual answers, I get the picture that Adam wasn't physically present with Eve during the conversation between the, devil via the serpent, and Eve.

quote:

Gen. 3:11 MKJV And He said, Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten of the tree which I commanded you that you should not eat?
And the man said, The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I ate.
And Jehovah God said to the woman, What is this you have done? And the woman said, The serpent deceived me, and I ate.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17381
03/15/06 12:22 PM
03/15/06 12:22 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Darius,

Some questions about things that are not clear to me.

What you are saying is that the woman was being tempted just in her mind. In this case, there would be no such real animal as a serpent tempting her. Why then was the serpent (the animal) punished (Gen. 3:14)?

I suppose the woman was being tempted in her mind but the man wasn’t, although he was with her. Do you think he just stood there watching as she plucked the fruit and ate it, and then took a bite of the fruit himself?

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17382
03/15/06 12:30 PM
03/15/06 12:30 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
"With her" does not have to mean he was watching what she was doing. If I am six feet from you I am with you. The impression given by those who say he was not with her is that Eve had strayed from her husband and he was in some other part of the garden.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17383
03/15/06 03:03 PM
03/15/06 03:03 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
Well, the Hebrew does not actually give a hint of the words "with her." Here is the general dictionary translation for the verse:

quote:
The woman saw the tree was good for food; it was pleasant to the eyes, a tree to be desired to make one wise; she took and eat, and gave to man and he eat.
Not pretty I know, but the phrase "with her" is not present. It is placed in there for English translation to make the sentence flow.

quote:
The woman saw that the tree was beautiful, that its fruit was good to eat, and that it would make her wise. So she took some of its fruit and ate it. She also gave some of the fruit to her husband, and he ate it.
Genesis 3:6 NCV

With this, as well as many others, there is not hint of the man being beside the woman at the tree.

quote:
Now think-- be realistic, if Adam were actually by her side while she was talking to the serpent what would have happened?

Compare this to Paul's statement in 1 Tim. 2.14
"And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. "

So if Adam was NOT DECEIVED, that means he knew the serpent was lying. If he were standing there beside Eve, listening to that serpent with her, knowing the serpent was lying, would he have just STOOD there, allowing her to be deceived?

The clause "her husband with her" more realistically means, her husband, who was with her in the garden of Eden.

Gen. 3:17 "Because you listened to the voice of your wife..." Indicates that it wasn't the serpent that beguiled Adam, it was Eve talking him into it. Remember Paul tells us Adam was NOT deceived. He ate that fruit from some other motive.--- He did it because he didn't want to be separated from his wife.
The logic is fully on EGW's side.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17384
03/16/06 04:04 AM
03/16/06 04:04 AM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
quote:
Originally posted by Darius:
When was the last time you heard the devil tempt someone?

I'm sure it is not the last time I heard of it, but here is an example of a verbal temptation.

quote:
The devil came to Jesus to tempt him, saying, "If you are the Son of God, tell these rocks to become bread." Jesus answered, "It is written in the Scriptures, 'A person does not live by eating only bread, but by everything God says.'" Then the devil led Jesus to the holy city of Jerusalem and put him on a high place of the Temple. The devil said, "If you are the Son of God, jump down, because it is written in the Scriptures: 'He has put his angels in charge of you. They will catch you in their hands so that you will not hit your foot on a rock.'" Jesus answered him, "It also says in the Scriptures, 'Do not test the Lord your God.'" Then the devil led Jesus to the top of a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and all their splendor. The devil said, "If you will bow down and worship me, I will give you all these things." Jesus said to the devil, "Go away from me, Satan! It is written in the Scriptures, 'You must worship the Lord your God and serve only him.'" So the devil left Jesus, and angels came and took care of him.
Matthew 4:3 - 11 NCV

And if we are to be literal about the Genesis account, then this must have been a verbal temptation.

quote:
Now the snake was the most clever of all the wild animals the Lord God had made. One day the snake said to the woman, "Did God really say that you must not eat fruit from any tree in the garden?" The woman answered the snake, "We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden. But God told us, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden. You must not even touch it, or you will die.'" But the snake said to the woman, "You will not die. God knows that if you eat the fruit from that tree, you will learn about good and evil and you will be like God!"
Genesis 3:1 - 5 NCV

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17385
03/16/06 04:12 AM
03/16/06 04:12 AM
J
Jeff  Offline
Supporting Member 2007
Mississippi, USA
Dave, what is your source for the “dictionary translation”?

Jeff

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17386
03/16/06 04:46 AM
03/16/06 04:46 AM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
www.StudyLight.org

You'll find the Septuagint easyer to read than the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia, but they produce the same results.

Reply Quote
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!