HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, Kevin H), 3,316 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17387
03/15/06 05:14 PM
03/15/06 05:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Darius, you're biased and selective acceptance of the authority of the Bible and the SOP hinders your ability to understand the truth. It also hinders your ability to contribute in any meaningful way to this study. It boils down to your word against the Bible's or the SOP's.

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17388
03/15/06 05:58 PM
03/15/06 05:58 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
Dave, I see that you inserted the word "audibly" into the text. That is your choice.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17389
03/15/06 05:59 PM
03/15/06 05:59 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
MM, beware of false assumptions.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17390
03/15/06 06:48 PM
03/15/06 06:48 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
quote:
say

VERB:

• To utter aloud; pronounce: The children said, "Good morning."
    To express in words: Say what's on your mind.
  • To state as one's opinion or judgment; declare: I say let's eat out.
    • To state as a determination of fact: It's hard to say who is right in this matter.
  • To repeat or recite: said grace.
  • To report or maintain; allege.

• To indicate; show: The clock says half past two.
    • To give nonverbal expression to; signify or embody: It was an act that said "devotion."
  • To suppose; assume: Let's say that you're right.
the American Heritage Dictionary
No insertion required here. To say is to be verbal by definition. To me, it would seem that you insert the words non verbaly into the text, and that is your choice (as ill advised as it may be)!

If it was a non verbal communication, why take the physical form of a snake? What would be the point to shuch a thing?

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17391
03/16/06 04:04 AM
03/16/06 04:04 AM
J
Jeff  Offline
Supporting Member 2007
Mississippi, USA
Darius, the text does not say the conversation was inaudible. In fact the text supports more that it was audible.

quote:
Gen 3:1-6 NASB Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, "Indeed, has God said, 'You shall not eat from any tree of the garden'?" (2) The woman said to the serpent, "From the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat; (3) but from the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, 'You shall not eat from it or touch it, or you will die.'" (4) The serpent said to the woman, "You surely will not die! (5) "For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."
What permission do you find in the context to say that “he said” / “she said” doesn’t’ mean that words were exchanged audibly?

It seems somewhere else someone mentioned that you do not take the creation story literally. If that’s the case, you’re free to your opinion. But if your point depends on this belief, you really need to first convince everyone that it’s just an allegory.

Unless you take the whole story allegorically, you don’t have permission to assume that the conversation between Eve and the serpent was inaudible as you say. Of course if the basis for your belief is that the text is allegorical, then you can have it mean whatever you want. You can then always be right. But that doesn’t make for a very fruitful discussion, and it certainly doesn't have any relationship with the truth.

Jeff

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17392
03/16/06 12:58 PM
03/16/06 12:58 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
Jeff, when was the last time Satan tempted you audibly? Do you believe you are at a higher level of consciousness/intelligence than the Woman was?

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17393
03/16/06 01:41 PM
03/16/06 01:41 PM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
What I don't understand is if the Bible and SOP are wrong on a literal creation week then how is it possible to believe in the Adam, Eve and fall story at all?

Redfog

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17394
03/16/06 01:52 PM
03/16/06 01:52 PM
Darius  Offline
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
That is the kind of thinking I would expect from my kindergartner, not from you. The writers of the Bible were wrong on many things but that doest not make their work completely unreliable. It is a characteristic of humans that they are occasionally wrong. Being wrong is not the end of the world.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17395
03/16/06 02:49 PM
03/16/06 02:49 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
That's a rather silly thing to say in light of verses like this:

quote:
Most of all, you must understand this: No prophecy in the Scriptures ever comes from the prophet's own interpretation. No prophecy ever came from what a person wanted to say, but people led by the Holy Spirit spoke words from God.
2 Peter 1:20 - 21 NCV

So, if "The writers of the Bible were wrong on many things," and the scripture never comes from what the authors wanted to say or their own interpretation, that would mean the Holy Spirit led the authors in the wrong way.

I can see why one would be so against religion with an outlook like that. Most confusing.

Reply Quote
Re: Was Adam Actually With Eve At The Forbidden Tree? #17396
03/16/06 02:52 PM
03/16/06 02:52 PM
J
Jeff  Offline
Supporting Member 2007
Mississippi, USA
Darius, you chastise people for saying that “with her’ doesn’t mean “with her”, then you say that “he said” / “she said” doesn’t’ mean “he said” / “she said”. It seems like you get to make up the rules as you go. You can’t accuratly judge everything by your own personal experience you know. That leaves a rather narrow, albeit convenient worldview. And to imply that I think I have a higher level of consciousness/intelligence than Eve because I say the serpent spoke to Eve audibly is not a reasonable conclusion and only diverts from the topic.

Since we’re diverting off topic, I might as well go there. To be honest, and maybe a little blunt, I get the feeling that you’ve made up your own religion. You pick and choose which scriptures are wrong; you pick and choose which verses you take literally, almost as if the choice were arbitrary. I think it’s not arbitrary at all though. I think that you’ve merely created in your own mind your own idea of how things are based upon your own experiences. If, for example, Paul doesn’t live up to how you think the Gospel aught to be, you discount those parts.

The Bible is what it is. It’s either true or it isn’t. If the same Spirit of truth inspires two different authors, what they write aught to be truth. If Paul’s writings or parts of his writings contain error, then what is the basis for the stuff you think contains errors or not? Near as I can tell, the only basis is your own contrived religion. I suppose it’s convenient that way that you’re never wrong, but then that would require that truth is relative to whatever you think it is, rather than what it really is.

You can’t gain truth by claiming that only *some* parts of scripture are truthful and then pick and choose the ones that agree with how you think it aught to be, and still be credible with anyone. You can’t be credible because you have no logical basis for how you determine what is error and what isn’t. The Bible is just another book if you get to pick the parts you like and ignore the rest. The Bible is the basis for belief in Christianity. Otherwise, you might as well be Buddhist. If you reconcile your beliefs against only your beliefs, where’s the standard?

Darius, I’m sorry this is getting long, but my fingers just keep typing. I want you to know that I admire that you are willing to stand up for what you believe even if it goes against what everyone else is saying. That’s a good trait, I think. However, my biggest point of contention is that you stand up for what you believe against a backdrop of your own making, and you don’t really defend your belief…I’m not really sure you even define your belief. Also, it would probably help your credibility orders of magnitude if you were a bit more direct in your conversation. You speak to people as if you’re the schoolmaster, which above coming off arrogant, seems you usurp the title from the rightful Owner.

Back on topic, when people have explained why “with her” doesn’t necessarily mean “with her” they went back to the original languages, back to the solid foundation, and made their arguments from there. When you said that “he said” / “she said” doesn’t mean they actually spoke to each other, you used your own personal experience and made your arguments from there. What credibility have you established that your personal experience should convince me?

But if you want me to answer your question with anecdotes, yes, I’ve audibly heard the devil speak to me through people who’ve tried to get me to do things that are wrong…sometimes successfully. But really, whether it was audible or not, does it really either way require that Adam was either present or not with Eve at the forbidden tree when she was deceived?

Jeff

Reply Quote
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!