HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? #173909
06/04/15 03:49 AM
06/04/15 03:49 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
I saw this mentioned by Daryl in the SDA Resource Forum, but that is locked.

The article Daryl linked to was excellent and I fully agree with it. This is why I believe the Seventh-day Adventist Church is to continue the Reformation until the close of time on this earth.

We see the Sanctuary Message, the Sabbath and the Ten Commandments, the State of the Dead, the Spirit of Prophecy and the truth about the little horn power as being the continuation of the Reformation in these last days.

What do you believe?

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? [Re: Alchemy] #173928
06/04/15 02:08 PM
06/04/15 02:08 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Could you post a link to the article referred to?

Regarding the title of the thread, (and without seeing the above mentioned article) one would have to ask several questions:

1. Did the Reformation in fact fail? This would have to be shown. What were the goals of the Reformation that it failed to achieve?

2. In what way did it fail? Again, this relates to the desired outcomes of those in the Reformation. Martin Luther did not intend to start a new church or denomination, but simply "reform" the RCC. Are we to understand that it failed because it in fact did start a new church/denomination?

I don't think the Reformation started or went forward with specific goals or outcomes in mind, but was more generally a movement and shift in the thinking of the general population similar to and related to the Renaissance, which was also underway at the same time.

I think to say that it "failed" assumes a level of organization and goal-orientation etc., it simply did not have nor intend to have.

But that is just my impression off the top of my head.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? [Re: JAK] #173929
06/04/15 02:36 PM
06/04/15 02:36 PM
A
Alchemy  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: JAK
Could you post a link to the article referred to?

Regarding the title of the thread, (and without seeing the above mentioned article) one would have to ask several questions:

1. Did the Reformation in fact fail? This would have to be shown. What were the goals of the Reformation that it failed to achieve?

2. In what way did it fail? Again, this relates to the desired outcomes of those in the Reformation. Martin Luther did not intend to start a new church or denomination, but simply "reform" the RCC. Are we to understand that it failed because it in fact did start a new church/denomination?

I don't think the Reformation started or went forward with specific goals or outcomes in mind, but was more generally a movement and shift in the thinking of the general population similar to and related to the Renaissance, which was also underway at the same time.

I think to say that it "failed" assumes a level of organization and goal-orientation etc., it simply did not have nor intend to have.

But that is just my impression off the top of my head.

http://www.yashanet.com/library/reformf.htm

This is the article I mentioned.

To give a brief answer to your questions; The two main points the Reformation failed on were; 1) The Protestants were not Bible and Bible only and 2) They did follow traditions of men and the Roman Church.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? [Re: Alchemy] #173934
06/04/15 07:13 PM
06/04/15 07:13 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
(Sort of) interesting article, but heavily biased and containing factual inaccuracies, or at the very least statements bordering on inaccurate, without reliable documentation to support them.

For example:
Originally Posted By: From an article by Frank M. Walker
"The reformers paid a terrible price for their rejection of the seventh day Sabbath and for their refusal to accept it as an article of revolt against the Catholic Church."

The seventh day Sabbath played a very minor role if any in the Reformation. That they "paid a terrible price" is unsupported. The biased author is building a straw-man argument.

Also:
Originally Posted By: From an article by Frank M. Walker
"The rejection of the Sabbath at the Council of Trent at once crippled the advance of the Reformation. [No supporting evidence] Protestants and Protestant reformers will be held responsible on Judgment Day for their unfaithfulness [Playing God] at a time when the entire Roman Church pivoted toward discarding all tradition."

Seriously? The entire Roman Church was going to discard tradition? This statement needs EXTENSIVE documentation.

Originally Posted By: Alchemy
To give a brief answer to your questions; The two main points the Reformation failed on were; 1) The Protestants were not Bible and Bible only and

One would need a clear and supported understanding of just what constitutes "Bible and Bible only" in the minds of the Reformers. (Often referred to as Sola Scriptura, if I am not mistaken.) Actually not even the Bible is "Bible and Bible only." Check Paul's comments in 1 Cor. 11:16, where he appeals to tradition to support his view of women/hair/etc.

We ALL follow tradition of some sort, especially in areas that we feel are either "vitally important" or quite insignificant.

Last edited by JAK; 06/04/15 07:18 PM.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? [Re: Alchemy] #173949
06/05/15 05:45 PM
06/05/15 05:45 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
I am not convinced the Reformation failed. Read all of the Great Controversy for a good explanation.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? [Re: JAK] #173963
06/06/15 03:03 PM
06/06/15 03:03 PM
A
Alchemy  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
JAK wrote; "The seventh day Sabbath played a very minor role if any in the Reformation. That they "paid a terrible price" is unsupported. The biased author is building a straw-man argument."

I disagree completely. It has always been Rome's challenge to Protestants since the Council of Trent. Also, doctrinal differences existed between many of the Reformers and I believe this was because of their rejection of the Sabbath.

I believe we need to realize the importance of the Council of Trent to Roman Catholics as well as Protestants. I believe many Catholics were prepared to leave the Roman Church if a strong enough case were made by the Protestants. But, they failed to do so because of their rejection of the Sabbath.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? [Re: Johann] #173964
06/06/15 03:04 PM
06/06/15 03:04 PM
A
Alchemy  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: Johann
I am not convinced the Reformation failed. Read all of the Great Controversy for a good explanation.

Just look at what happened to the Reformation in our time.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? [Re: Alchemy] #173979
06/07/15 01:38 AM
06/07/15 01:38 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Maybe saying the Reformation "failed" isn't quite correct.
The Reformation made some gigantic leaps out of darkness into light. It broke the suffocating hold of the medieval church and brought the scriptures with its truths to the common people. But then it faltered in its advance into truth and drew slowly back.

Why did it falter and draw back instead of pressing on?

Alchemy is correct in his present day assessment of the Reformation -- the protest is being declared "dead" by some pretty prominent people. One startling example of this was Tony Palmer and his enthusiastic reception by a large group of evangelicals, and the message is still proclaimed by Evangelical leaders like Copland.

Now it's true the protest WILL continue, even though it's death may be in the minds of the majority, and urged on in ever stronger measures by the ecumenical minded protestants. The protest may appear to be dead, but a remnant will continue the protest until the end. Truth cannot unite under the umbrella of error.

Yet, the question remains -- why did the main swell of the Reformation falter and retreat and is now steadily returning into the arms of papal primacy?

There are a number of reasons, the council of Trent being one of them.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? [Re: dedication] #173981
06/07/15 02:11 AM
06/07/15 02:11 AM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: dedication
Maybe saying the Reformation "failed" isn't quite correct.
True. It isn't correct at all.

Originally Posted By: dedication
But then it faltered in its advance into truth and drew slowly back.
This assumes that it had some sort of goal it was trying to achieve. I do not think that was the case.

To say something "failed" assumes there were outcomes that were not achieved. What were the desired outcomes for the Reformers? This has not been established.

So, without any stated outcomes, one cannot say whether or not something failed.

This whole discussion seems to be based on some modern person's (ie: Alchemy's and the aforementioned biased author's) idea of what the "Reformation" should have achieved. It has yet to be shown what the reformers themselves had in mind for outcomes.

Re: Why did the Protestant Reformation fail? [Re: JAK] #173983
06/07/15 02:17 AM
06/07/15 02:17 AM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: JAK
Seriously? The entire Roman Church was going to discard tradition? This statement needs EXTENSIVE documentation.

Please address the above noted scepticism.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!